Amazon Video Games DOTW - Alice / Brink / Witcher 2

Witcher 2 will be cheaper. Not in any hurry.

Alice PC doesn't come with the original Alice I don't think. Unless I can be sure I'm getting original Alice with it, I'm in no hurry.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Witcher 2 will be cheaper. Not in any hurry.

Alice PC doesn't come with the original Alice I don't think. Unless I can be sure I'm getting original Alice with it, I'm in no hurry.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to figure out if Alice PC comes with the first game as well. If it does I'm all over the deal.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Witcher 2 will be cheaper. Not in any hurry.

Alice PC doesn't come with the original Alice I don't think. Unless I can be sure I'm getting original Alice with it, I'm in no hurry.[/QUOTE]

Alice on PC only comes with the original if you buy from origin.com

Other than that, Alice is amazing. Everyone's price point is different to buy, but either way if you are even slightly interested in this game buy it when it hits your price. Reviews are wrong, play it before you write it off.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Alice on PC only comes with the original if you buy from origin.com[/QUOTE]

Actually the version on Origin with the original Alice was only available for the first week of release, it no longer comes with the original on there.

[quote name='Vortextk']I can see your other points but I just never ran into a problem with invisible walls. Maybe twice I actually tried to go somewhere and ran into one, otherwise I was really looking for spots because I heard of that complaint before I played the game and found it hard to find any that would actually trick you. If it doesn't have some kind of item pick up, enemy on it, or platform/bouncer next to it, you just don't need to explore which really seemed to solve that problem for me in my 13 or 14 hour playthrough.[/QUOTE]

I was never "tricked" by invisible walls, but there was some places that it looked like she would be able to go or fit if she shrunk, but I knew right away she wouldn't be able to, but with games today, you really should be able to go everywhere. Not that I mind a game where you don't get lost every 10 minutes, but I still feel it brings the game down a bit.

[quote name='mattcube64']If you have a decent computer, trust me:

Buy

The

Witcher

It's a PHENOMENAL game. I buy about 50 games a year, and finish at least 15 or so. The Witcher 2 is the best single player title I've played in YEARS. Other than an abrupt ending, it's a nearly perfect game. Easily up in my Top 10 of all time, nestled with games like KOTOR, Ocarina of Time, and Metal Gear Solid.[/QUOTE]

The Witcher 2 is the best PC RPG game this year...BY FAR, so far.

[quote name='81ols']Patients is definitely not my strong suit. lol[/QUOTE]

Note to self: Do not let you be my doctor. ;)

As much as I want to pick up Alice, I wouldn't be able to play it right away. As with many other games that I don't play immediately, they drop even lower in price once I get to them. I'll wait and hopefully I'm done with the games I'm playing now when Alice costs a bit less.

[quote name='spike32']I was never "tricked" by invisible walls, but there was some places that it looked like she would be able to go or fit if she shrunk, but I knew right away she wouldn't be able to, but with games today, you really should be able to go everywhere. Not that I mind a game where you don't get lost every 10 minutes, but I still feel it brings the game down a bit.[/QUOTE]

I get that, but I don't see why it matters. If you didn't run into it, and there was absolutely nothing there of consequence, why would it?

I'm really on the fence about Alice. Looks like a really cool game (and looks FAR better than Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" film) but I got so many games I have still yet to play. Heck, I still have Bioshock sitting around somewhere.

It was on pre-order at times for 45, it's on sale now for 40(and 30 for the pc of course), it'll drop more. I really liked it, but the reviews weren't great, it has no online. The only thing saving it from being traded in a good deal is if some people want to keep AMA as well, or maybe that just makes them hold on to it for slightly longer. If your pc can handle it better than a console I'd recommend that version of course and that's even cheaper, but no trading back in or AMA...

Still, it's going to get cheap if you're not going to play it now anyway. And yeah, I loved the first game like 7 years ago when I played it and VERY much wished that movie could've been even somewhat similar. I was completely disappointed with it and still like the old disney animated movie more if atleast for being crazier but obviously not terribly dark.

Vortextk - Yeah, I too liked the classic animated Disney Alice much more than Burton's version. I'll take your advice though, probably wait it out a little longer for it to come down in price a bit. Looks like a great imagining of the Alice story though, twisted and dark just like it really ought to be.

[quote name='Vortextk']I get that, but I don't see why it matters. If you didn't run into it, and there was absolutely nothing there of consequence, why would it?[/QUOTE]

Well sometimes when I was about to fall, I would have been saved if I could just go on that one ledge, but no, I'd have to fall every time. It just makes it feel like a game from 10 years ago rather than a next gen game.

[quote name='thekoolkurt']I got Brink with low expectations at the gamestop buy 2 get 1 free deal.
I got it with crysis 2 and Dead Space 2 and Brinks the only one i kept, its a solid online game.
If you like mirrors edge and/or tf2 just buy it.[/QUOTE]

When I bought it I thought to myself "Oh it'll be just like a mashup of TF2 and Mirror's Edge (like you said). Awesome."

But that gives Brink too much credit. I finished up the rest of the achievements that I wanted today (Then threw it up on eBay), in that time I played one round with 4 other players online and I couldn't ever hit a bullet because the lag was just that atrocious. The moment the game started it was having problems. With 5 people? And the rest bots? That's inexcusable.

Let's move on to texture popin. There is not one single texture in the game that will immediately be loaded, every one of them pops in. Even your gun. Yes, your gun. I died about 8 times on one game, and every time it had to refresh the textures on the starting point. It couldn't even keep them loaded for more than a minute and a half. Unless you stop moving, most textures will not load at all.

Now for the "TF2 / ME" mashup. The parkour element is virtually non-existant. You cannot along most walls, your sliding dash only travels a short distance, you cannot move while sliding, there are a lot of walls you cannot climb over, etc etc. As for Team Fortress? There are only 4 classes, they all use the exact same guns, and they all perform the same way - Engineers buff guns and make terrible turrets, Medics buff health, Soldiers buff ammo, Operatives... well they are more or less useless.

The campaign. What campaign? You play on 8 maps - the same 8 that are used for multiplayer. If you elect to play with bots you are just playing a round of Matchmaking except... bots. That is all the game is.

I'll rest my case. I played it on the Xbox, maybe it's a tad better on PC and PS3, but it won't hide the core problems of the game. The game isn't worth it. It's as simple as that. Team Fortress is free now - go play that.

[quote name='burz88']I plan on picking up Alice but have never played the original. Should I play that first?[/QUOTE]
I think every new copy comes with the original Alice game. I'm not sure though.

Anyone on the fence about ALICE should keep on waiting. It's going to drop like a rock. The game has cool artistic design but once you play two hours of it you've basically played everything -- it's endlessly repetitive and the levels go on forever.

I'm so tempted to get the Witcher 2, but I know I'm going to see it at the $20 spot sometime soon.

Might as well just work on Witcher 1 in the meantime.

[quote name='Troutyogurt']I think every new copy comes with the original Alice game. I'm not sure though.[/QUOTE]

Every new console copy does yes. I'm not sure if any pc copy does now, origin's did but I don't think it still does. Pretty lame.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Anyone on the fence about ALICE should keep on waiting. It's going to drop like a rock. The game has cool artistic design but once you play two hours of it you've basically played everything -- it's endlessly repetitive and the levels go on forever.[/QUOTE]

Its that bad?

Was going to return/rebuy my copy to get it for 34.99, but maybe i'll just pass and use it toward Earth Defense Force instead.....

I'll pick up Alice when it hits the $20 range for PC, should be soon. And I recommend Witcher 2 to anyone who has a PC that can run it well, one of the best RPG's I've ever played.

I decided to order a copy of Alice, from what I've heard I'll enjoy it, even though it's repetitive I really enjoy platformers so I think it will be worth it.

In for Alice on PC, especially since it registers on the Origin client. Thanks, OP

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='burz88']I plan on picking up Alice but have never played the original. Should I play that first?[/QUOTE]
Like a few others have said, the game comes with an updated version of the original via download code. So if you want to play the first one, there you go!
[quote name='Cheeseknight28']

Let's move on to texture popin. There is not one single texture in the game that will immediately be loaded, every one of them pops in. Even your gun. Yes, your gun. I died about 8 times on one game, and every time it had to refresh the textures on the starting point. It couldn't even keep them loaded for more than a minute and a half. Unless you stop moving, most textures will not load at all.

[/QUOTE]

I thought I heard a lot of the texture issues were fixed via a patch? No?

I would highly recomend Brink. Alot of the issues mentioned have been fixed. Now for Alice does anyone feel like it will be about 20 bucks in a few months?

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Anyone on the fence about ALICE should keep on waiting. It's going to drop like a rock. The game has cool artistic design but once you play two hours of it you've basically played everything -- it's endlessly repetitive and the levels go on forever.[/QUOTE]

What does repetitive mean? I'm playing the game and I'm in chapter 3, but I have no fucking idea what repetitive means. Is there any game out there that is not repetitive?

[quote name='xxjonoxx']
Other than that, Alice is amazing. Everyone's price point is different to buy, but either way if you are even slightly interested in this game buy it when it hits your price. Reviews are wrong, play it before you write it off.[/QUOTE]

Reviews are the opinions of the reviewers. It's not good to say that everyone else's opinion except for yours is wrong. Just because you liked the game a lot, that doesn't mean that everyone else should or will.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']What does repetitive mean? I'm playing the game and I'm in chapter 3, but I have no fucking idea what repetitive means. Is there any game out there that is not repetitive?[/QUOTE]

The definition of repetitive:
characterized by or given to unnecessary repetition; boring: dull, repetitive work

I can't believe you actually asked that. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

I sure hate it when games I like last a long time, boy does that suck.

I bought it at 50$ and its GOTY for me atm. I dunno why collectathon platformers died off but this is exactly what we need more of. Probably will stay there unless Guild Wars 2 comes out this year or if Dark Souls turns out to be more than Demon's Souls: The Expansion.

[quote name='eastx']Reviews are the opinions of the reviewers. It's not good to say that everyone else's opinion except for yours is wrong. Just because you liked the game a lot, that doesn't mean that everyone else should or will.

The definition of repetitive:

I can't believe you actually asked that. But now you know, and knowing is half the battle![/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you're a fucking dumbass.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Congratulations, you're a fucking dumbass.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, but it's far more likely that the person who either doesn't know what repetitive means or just doesn't know how to effectively make any kind of point at all, is the dumbass. Instead of childishly lashing out, you should be happy that someone actually tried to improve your poor vocabulary.

[quote name='ravens52bears54']I thought I heard a lot of the texture issues were fixed via a patch? No?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lyricsborn']I would highly recomend Brink. Alot of the issues mentioned have been fixed. Now for Alice does anyone feel like it will be about 20 bucks in a few months?[/QUOTE]

The errors have yet to be fixed, I literally just played today and all the issues I mentioned are still there. The game just isn't worth it. I hadn't tried installing it, that might fix the textures. But installing usually only affects load times and little else.

As for Alice, I expect $20 around September. If you want to wait I'd say go for it.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']The errors have yet to be fixed, I literally just played today and all the issues I mentioned are still there. The game just isn't worth it. I hadn't tried installing it, that might fix the textures. But installing usually only affects load times and little else.

As for Alice, I expect $20 around September. If you want to wait I'd say go for it.[/QUOTE]

I hope it's $20 by September. I'll love to play this game around Halloween time. :)

I assume Ogami's actual question was what part of the game is repetitive, not what is the definition of the word. Good to see everyone getting along, though.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']The errors have yet to be fixed, I literally just played today and all the issues I mentioned are still there. The game just isn't worth it. I hadn't tried installing it, that might fix the textures. But installing usually only affects load times and little else.

As for Alice, I expect $20 around September. If you want to wait I'd say go for it.[/QUOTE]

It better be lowered to at least $20 in the Steam sale :(

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I assume Ogami's actual question was what part of the game is repetitive, not what is the definition of the word. Good to see everyone getting along, though.[/QUOTE]

Or that every game is repetitive, given what his last line in that quote was. Which is true, every game ever created is repetitive. CoD and other shooters are popular but they're also very repetitive, run around and shoot everything you see.

I'm kind of on the fence with this game, reviews are all over the place, some love it, some hate it, some just find it average. I'll probably pick it up since I was always interested in the original and this looks interesting.

[quote name='Thongsy']Or that every game is repetitive, given what his last line in that quote was. Which is true, every game ever created is repetitive. CoD and other shooters are popular but they're also very repetitive, run around and shoot everything you see.[/QUOTE]

It's far more accurate to say that every game contains repetition. That's not the same thing as being repetitive. Like I was telling Shaft, I mean, Ogami Itto, repetitive means that something becomes boring due to unnecessary repetition. In other words, while repetition is inherent to games, repetitiveness is not.

Clearly many reviewers feel that Alice 2 is repetitive, and they are not wrong for feeling so - that's how they perceive the game's tasks and gameplay. A person with different tastes might not feel that way, but the fact that so many people do find Alice repetitive is cause for concern. But I'm still buying it anyway.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I assume Ogami's actual question was what part of the game is repetitive, not what is the definition of the word. Good to see everyone getting along, though.[/QUOTE]

I responded to what he actually said, and that pissed him off for some reason. Not my fault. ;)

:applause:

So I'm thinking about getting Alice. How long does it take to beat it?

And should I bother playing the original that comes with a new copy? And about how much time should I plan for the original as well?

On the PS3 today everything was running smoothly. No pop in,no lag, no problems.

[quote name='SpiderHulkThing']So I'm thinking about getting Alice. How long does it take to beat it?

And should I bother playing the original that comes with a new copy? And about how much time should I plan for the original as well?[/QUOTE]

10 hours for madness returns if you're very quick, 12-15 more likely. You can read in the sequel a basic play by play of alice from the first game(not quite of the game itself, but what had been happening to her in real life).

The first one can be rough to play, the jumping is just awkward. Combat is shooter like and simple, game still has visual treats and I think those aged a lot better than probably most games this old...but it's still quake 3 engine and a decade past it's release. I think it is a bit shorter to complete.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']On the PS3 today everything was running smoothly. No pop in,no lag, no problems.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they just half-assed the 360 version? I personally didn't much care for the game that was being presented - but hey if you like it then I won't judge you or anything. It just felt entirely too derivative.

Good to see that all the versions aren't awful.

Edit: If you really want a good judge of how many people have stuck with Brink, check here:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Brink requires Steam for online play to my knowledge, and even though the game is just a month old and has an online focus, it's not peaking at more than 1,000 players.

[quote name='SpiderHulkThing']So I'm thinking about getting Alice. How long does it take to beat it?

And should I bother playing the original that comes with a new copy? And about how much time should I plan for the original as well?[/QUOTE]
Sitting at 10 hours atm with a 48%-ish completion. I think the game counts collection all the items as a percentage though, not beating the levels. Would estimate 20ish hours for a near 100% completion.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']
Brink requires Steam for online play to my knowledge, and even though the game is just a month old and has an online focus, it's not peaking at more than 1,000 players.[/QUOTE]

It's still the morning, most of those games don't have their normal peaks yet. Brink usually averages around 1500-2000. Which isn't great compared to other games on the list, but still better than what it is now. It amazes me CS 1.6 is still played as much as it is.

bread's done
Back