Amazon Video Games DOTW - Alice / Brink / Witcher 2

[quote name='crystalklear64']Sitting at 10 hours atm with a 48%-ish completion. I think the game counts collection all the items as a percentage though, not beating the levels. Would estimate 20ish hours for a near 100% completion.[/QUOTE]

It's completely how well you search though. I beat the game at less than 14 hours but 96% completion rate, and as you can see by that rate, I wasn't rushing. Everything is pretty much right along the level just usually a side platform or hidden keyhole before you move forward so I don't think too much time is spent going after that stuff, other than mopping up the tiny bit you might have missed like in my case. That could take awhile.

[quote name='Jon7']It's still the morning, most of those games don't have their normal peaks yet. Brink usually averages around 1500-2000. Which isn't great compared to other games on the list, but still better than what it is now. It amazes me CS 1.6 is still played as much as it is.[/QUOTE]

That's true. I figured most of the players were people playing yesterday at midnight, but at least it's population is a bit healthier than it's showing.

[quote name='eastx']It's far more accurate to say that every game contains repetition. That's not the same thing as being repetitive. Like I was telling Shaft, I mean, Ogami Itto, repetition means that something becomes boring due to unnecessary repetition. In other words, while repetition is inherent to games, repetitiveness is not.

Clearly many reviewers feel that Alice 2 is repetitive, and they are not wrong for feeling so - that's how they perceive the game's tasks and gameplay. A person with different tastes might not feel that way, but the fact that so many people do find Alice repetitive is cause for concern. But I'm still buying it anyway.

I responded to what he actually said, and that pissed him off for some reason. Not my fault. ;)[/QUOTE]
Very nice quote and explanation. I am glad to see you didnt get too pissy with the guy. He was being a smart alec to begin with, although I agreed with why he said it. Everyone always wants to say a game is repetitive, meanwhile, every game ever made will have someone who thinks it is repetitive because its just an opininon as you stated.

I really want Alice. And I really want to buy from Amazon, so I informed them about the lower price at Kmart. Hopefully they'll drop it so I can pick it up.

[quote name='gauu']81ols where did you buy alice from last week??? i bought it from gamestop and im just going to grab it for this price and return it sealed to gamestop to save my money.[/QUOTE]
eBay for $50

Very nice quote and explanation. I am glad to see you didnt get too pissy with the guy. He was being a smart alec to begin with, although I agreed with why he said it. Everyone always wants to say a game is repetitive, meanwhile, every game ever made will have someone who thinks it is repetitive because its just an opininon as you stated.

I'll try and be clearer: yes the levels are repetitive. You start off playing for a few hours doing a group of tasks, only to see those type of tasks (some of which weren't fun in the first place) repeated with a fresh coat of paint in subsequent levels. It might be 10-15 hours long but it's artificially stretched out past the point of being entertaining. I realize every game can be repetitive if you look at it that way -- but personally I'd rather play a "repetitive shooter" (or any game that actually has fun game play) than have to play through a group of redundant jumping/platform puzzles, cheap deaths and poor game play mechanics like this game has in spades.

The levels are also endless. It's the first game in a real long time I can remember wanting every level to end -- just when you think you've come to the finish line, it throws in another lame puzzle or jumping section (just like all the ones you've already had to play through) which will take up another hour of your time... once you've invested 5-6 hours in the game, I found it incredibly maddening.

Someone could've taken the levels and cut them in half, and the whole game would've improved as a result IMO. Obviously if you find that one puzzle they repeat about 50 times fun, or don't mind repeating all the exact same tasks 100 times, then you won't mind the repetitiveness, and to each his own. It's just how I felt about the game (which a lot of others seem to share).

And then people complain because vanquish is only 5-7 hours long, though it is constantly changing with very open type of gameplay(within third person shooter action of course). There's no pleasing everyone, learn to understand that is all I can say. You can whine about it being too long with too thin of gameplay, if it was less than 8 hours people would complain it should be longer for a full game purchase.

[quote name='Vortextk']And then people complain because vanquish is only 5-7 hours long, though it is constantly changing with very open type of gameplay(within third person shooter action of course). There's no pleasing everyone, learn to understand that is all I can say. You can whine about it being too long with too thin of gameplay, if it was less than 8 hours people would complain it should be longer for a full game purchase.[/QUOTE]

I know what you're saying, but I'm guessing you haven't played it yet. I doubt anyone who plays Alice is going to come away thinking it was the right length. Given most of the reviews and reactions have come down heavily on the fact that its length only exposes how repetitive it is, this is one game that definitely should have been cut down.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I know what you're saying, but I'm guessing you haven't played it yet. I doubt anyone who plays Alice is going to come away thinking it was the right length. Given most of the reviews and reactions have come down heavily on the fact that its length only exposes how repetitive it is, this is one game that definitely should have been cut down.[/QUOTE]

I've beaten the game, and I can honestly say the only time it felt like a level was too long and overstaying its welcome was Chapter 5, it just got really annoying doing so many of those slide sections. Outside of that though I thought the game was great and basically loved everything else.

[quote name='Vortextk']10 hours for madness returns if you're very quick, 12-15 more likely. You can read in the sequel a basic play by play of alice from the first game(not quite of the game itself, but what had been happening to her in real life).

The first one can be rough to play, the jumping is just awkward. Combat is shooter like and simple, game still has visual treats and I think those aged a lot better than probably most games this old...but it's still quake 3 engine and a decade past it's release. I think it is a bit shorter to complete.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response! Looking forward to playing it. I think I'll just play Madness Returns for now and then try the first one if I absolutely love the game. I just have so much of a backlog as it is.

And thanks to all others who responded as well!

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Someone could've taken the levels and cut them in half, and the whole game would've improved as a result IMO.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this, honestly. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. All of the gameplay elements in Madness Returns are fun, but there isn't a single thing in the game that isn't repeated twice, three times, or 10+ times with only the tiniest variations. Each level could have easily been cut in half without sacrificing anything. It's also true that the environments are often plagued by very low-res textures, textures that don't line up with their neighbors, and glitchy geometry, which give the game an old-fashioned feel.

All that said, I still loved the game and am extremely happy with the $47 (with DLC) that I spent on it. I plan to finish Alice 1 and then go back and 100% Madness Returns on Nightmare.

This is just one of those games where everything hangs on how much the premise appeals to you. The art design, the elaborate costumes, the Victorian/gothic atmosphere... If those things speak to you, then you'll enjoy the game despite its obvious flaws. If not, you should feel comfortable skipping it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I submitted the Kmart 34.99 price to amazon for Alice. Hopefully they'll match.

I'm thinking about going to fry's and picking it up though, they are one of the few stores I know to price-match online websites.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']
The levels are also endless. It's the first game in a real long time I can remember wanting every level to end -- just when you think you've come to the finish line, it throws in another lame puzzle or jumping section (just like all the ones you've already had to play through) which will take up another hour of your time... once you've invested 5-6 hours in the game, I found it incredibly maddening.[/QUOTE]

They don't call it "The Madness Returns" for nothing...

That sucks to hear though cause that's sort of how I feel these days in every level of every game I play so I might not make it through this one. I'm going to give it a shot though.

I got Witcher 2 for around 33 and some change on D2D. Really wanted the boxed version since it came with a bunch of goodies. If I didn't already own it already, I would snatch this up immediately.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I agree with this, honestly. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. All of the gameplay elements in Madness Returns are fun, but there isn't a single thing in the game that isn't repeated twice, three times, or 10+ times with only the tiniest variations. Each level could have easily been cut in half without sacrificing anything. It's also true that the environments are often plagued by very low-res textures, textures that don't line up with their neighbors, and glitchy geometry, which give the game an old-fashioned feel.

All that said, I still loved the game and am extremely happy with the $47 (with DLC) that I spent on it. I plan to finish Alice 1 and then go back and 100% Madness Returns on Nightmare.

This is just one of those games where everything hangs on how much the premise appeals to you. The art design, the elaborate costumes, the Victorian/gothic atmosphere... If those things speak to you, then you'll enjoy the game despite its obvious flaws. If not, you should feel comfortable skipping it.[/QUOTE]

I felt it was too long too. While the early levels were great (and took place in Wonderland) the later levels were just too much of the same and they stopped caring about the original locales. After chapter 3 I had to keep trudging through. That being said, my $20 out of pocket was well spent. A fun little platformer up until the end... I hated the ending, but that was b/c... Screw it, just play it. Then let me know if EA/Spicy Horse say F-U too. That hurt.

[quote name='AwRy108']Alice looks like something I'd enjoy, but only if the PS3 version cost me $30 or less.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, 25-30 is what I will pay for the game. Nothing more as I have a 10 game backlog.

Asked Amazon if theyd allow me to use my LoZ:OoT $20 credit on any video game, not just their select 3DS games, and got Alice for $19.99.

Alice is also 40 bucks at gamestop.com (new). Maybe a permanent price drop? I figure games like this, Shadow of the Damned, Child of Eden...etc..will bomb big time but I'll pick up Alice at GS because I have lots of credit available.

bread's done
Back