AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

I'm not sure what I found more hilarious...

That they couldn't hit one idiot standing out in the open, yet dead easy head shots on zombies, or using a filing cabinet as a bullet proof cover...

That's something that's bothered me since the beginning of the show, how everyone is a crack shot and can hit a moving target in the head, one after another. Even the people who had never even handled a gun before the zombies. I don't expect real world conditions on a TV show but suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

As far as diminishing levels of storytelling, a large portion of that blame falls at AMC's feet. TWD is on it's third showrunner in as many seasons due to the networks heavyhandedness (if it wasn't a word before it is now) in the production. That doesn't help in situations like continuity errors when some of the staff leaves when certain showrunners do as well. Some of these positions have had ridiculously high turnover compared to the same positions on most other TV productions. AMC is also notoriously tight-fisted when it comes to the budgets of the shows it airs. Considering the record-setting ratings this show pulls in you'd think they'd be willing to spring for some more extras to work as zombies and other relatively small things to give the show a bigger feel where it warrants it.

[quote name='neocisco']That's something that's bothered me since the beginning of the show, how everyone is a crack shot and can hit a moving target in the head, one after another. Even the people who had never even handled a gun before the zombies. I don't expect real world conditions on a TV show but suspension of disbelief can only go so far.
[/QUOTE]

I actually found it more strange that after how everyone (including Hershel and Carl) are head shot machines that the Mexican group looked completely out of sorts. Like they could barely fire the gun and had to run right up to them and shoot it at them point blank. Everyone else is the Walking Dead world has become badasses and then this random Mexican family just seems like they were dropped into the middle of it not knowing how the fuck to survive.

Next week on The Walking Dead:

Laserrave.gif

[quote name='Rodimus']Next week on The Walking Dead:

Laserrave.gif
[/QUOTE]
But don't put a fucking zombie in the middle of that it'll be dead in seconds

[quote name='renique46']Hopefully we're now done with the stupid Glenn/Maggie & Rick/Lori nonsense. It's run its course now.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm except it seems like Rick suffers from a pretty severe case of paranoid schizophrenia. Which doesn't just go away. Its kinda hard to manage in the everyday world... But the zombie apocalypse?

I just don't expect any kind of great art in fucking zombie movies/shows.

If I want something with artistic merit, I go see an indie or foreign film, or the rare hollywood flick with any artistic merit. With a zombie show, action flick etc. it's just something I want to shut my mind off and veg out. I don't even give such things 100% of my attention most of the time as I end up skimming news on my phone or iPad or something during slow parts more often than not.

I have no problem with people who expect more, who analyze everything they watch etc. To each their own and I do little more than skim posts as I'm more on forums to share my own opinions than to read others' opinions anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree 100% with most of that. I don't get pissy when people bitch. Again, I don't really give a shit about what a bunch of random people on a forum think about anything, much less a show. Isn't going to have one iota of impact on whether or not I enjoy whatever it is that's being discussed.

I don't mean to be douchey and say I only like indie or foreign films. Just that those tend to be the main sources of artsy things that I find worth scrutinizing--with some exceptions for some great stuff that does come out of major Hollywood studios. I have no interest in scrutinizing a show like the Walking Dead or an action movie like Skyfall or what have you. I'm there for the characters and action and set pieces and just want to be entertained.

Some people find it entertaining to scrutinize the hell out of everything they watch, and that's fine. To each their own and all that jazz. Most of the time when I sit down to watch a movie or show I want to turn my brain off and veg out as I've been thinking all day with teaching and working on research. On the rare occasions I want to think more and watch something more challenging, I'll usually grab an indie or foreign film as there just isn't much outside of cookie cutter dramas, action movies and comedies coming out of Hollywood. But that's like maybe once or twice a month I'm in the mood for that, so I'm hardly some snobby film buff who only watches indie/foreign stuff. I'd usually rather shut my mind off and watch something like Skyfall or the Avengers than something like Beasts of the Southern Wild. But when it comes to scrutinizing, analyzing etc., I'll reservere that for the latter type of shows/movies and just veg out and enjoy the action and set pieces and characters in the former. But again, to each their own.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am going to kill this nitpicking thing right now. Since I work in TV/FILM and I have worked on movies and televisions series, calling this nitpicking is disrespectful to how great these writers probably are. Unlike most of you I have actually sat in rooms with writers and watched them struggle to convey how important a scene is to storytelling and a suit says to them....yeah..instead of shooting a scene to explain where Glenn was I would rather just show a picture of a 2013 dodge ram to please our sponsors. .[/QUOTE]
You have to admit that the truck looked like it had really good suspension.

Oh, and I don't think that dmaul has ever denied being an elitist douche. In matter of fact, he's admitted it many times!:lol:

Nothing personal, dude. I still have mad respect for ya. ;)

[quote name='neocisco']That's something that's bothered me since the beginning of the show, how everyone is a crack shot and can hit a moving target in the head, one after another. Even the people who had never even handled a gun before the zombies. I don't expect real world conditions on a TV show but suspension of disbelief can only go so far.

As far as diminishing levels of storytelling, a large portion of that blame falls at AMC's feet. TWD is on it's third showrunner in as many seasons due to the networks heavyhandedness (if it wasn't a word before it is now) in the production. That doesn't help in situations like continuity errors when some of the staff leaves when certain showrunners do as well. Some of these positions have had ridiculously high turnover compared to the same positions on most other TV productions. AMC is also notoriously tight-fisted when it comes to the budgets of the shows it airs. Considering the record-setting ratings this show pulls in you'd think they'd be willing to spring for some more extras to work as zombies and other relatively small things to give the show a bigger feel where it warrants it.[/QUOTE]

They are using aimbots IRL basically.

[quote name='binici']Awesome how aimbots are turned off when shooting at other humans though...[/QUOTE]

Naw, that's just Asimov's three rules of robotics at play.

Caught The Walking Dead Black & White last night. While it felt like watching an animated version of the comic book (also black and white), it felt more like a gimmick. But, anything to keep milking those ratings while we wait for a new episode to air on Sunday is a good thing, I guess.

Reminded me of those semi-animated videos (sometimes included as DVD promotional extras for movies) that were popular in the early '90s that took forever to download with a dial-up modem. I guess they're still around, but never really see them too often, anymore. Good times. :)

The Walking Dead kicks fucking ass, man. Dude, I fucking love killing zombies and trucks rule. Makes me want to go four-wheeling and drive in mud till I get drunk and shoot a deer.

I just enjoy the show. It is well written and not your typical kill zombie or get eaten zombie show/flick. It's entertaining TV.

So one episode that armless dude is the baddest most hated dude in the show and the next he's walking around with an m4 rifle chilling with the group?

[quote name='GUNNM']So one episode that armless dude is the baddest most hated dude in the show and the next he's walking around with an m4 rifle chilling with the group?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that threw me off, that plus the massive hostility to Andrea.

Rick's character is terribly unlikable at this point. Especially when Tyresse's group described Rick to the Gov

With that said Merle is my new favorite character to watch.

I'm very interested in how Tyreese and his group will be involved in the show from this point.
It seems like each episode from here will lead up till the confrontation which I'm guessing will be the season finale.
I felt the last episode was kind of a filler episode.

i fully expected the Governor to kill Andrea at some point. I was thinking he'd follow her to the prison and ambush everyone or at the end when she returned I expected her to get shot up by the guards. Then at the end when she pulled out the knife I was just waiting in the Governor to secretly pull out a gun and cap her ass. I guess she still has a role to play and more than likely she will be used in the future before the Governor betrays her in an attempt to kill off the group. Rick's character has finally weakened but I think towards the end of the episode he's starting to get things back together. One thing from the comics that hasn't happened this season that I've been waiting for is some type of betrayal internal to the group. I was expecting Axel to pull something in the episode that he died in with either Carol or even the young daughter, since he already lied about why he was in prison. It seems like Merle would be able to still pull something but I don't think the writers would do too much harm to his character in that sense since he's looked upon as a badass. If anything Merle will become the unlikely hero before he probably dies. I just don't think the brotherhood between Merle and Daryl will end on a sour note. Michonne and Andrea will probably duke it out somehow and I could see Michonne losing that one before Andrea gets it. I could see how Carol could be killed as the only significance she has at this point is really to Daryl and as a caregiver to Judith but the young daughter has taken that role. It's going to be interesting to see who survives this season.

[quote name='Wolve11']I'm very interested in how Tyreese and his group will be involved in the show from this point.
It seems like each episode from here will lead up till the confrontation which I'm guessing will be the season finale.

[/QUOTE]

As for Tyrese

I'm guessing him or the wifey will play the role as the person who takes out the Governor after the invasion of the prison. Like in the comic how the random (? I think, been a while) Woodbury resident on the invasion shoots the Governor in the back of the head after the realize they have killed a baby, few children, and an old man. Not some hardcore threat to their society.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Not much to comment on as it was clearly a filler episode but I will say this. I had to roll my eyes hard at the doctor and blondie capturing a zombie and she walked (miles?) with him with like a mid day stroll. When michonne had her two zombie pets it felt like a big deal, like she knew something that no one else knew and could easily replicate. If anyone could do this on a whim there is no zombie threat. This of course leads to the obvious question of why michonne the person who invented such a tactics hasnt yet mentioned it to Ricks group to clear out the courtyard.

The show has effectively made zombies as dangerous as the ghost from Mario.

Everything else in the episode was fine, although there are thousands of plot lines far more interesting than blondie...she really needs less screen time.[/QUOTE]

Mild comic spoiler to the bolded portion:
The fact that zombies become a manageable threat comes a plot point later on in the comic.

Semi-serious comic spoiler
It's been ages in the comics since any one has died as a result of a zombie attack.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Mild comic spoiler to the bolded portion:
The fact that zombies become a manageable threat comes a plot point later on in the comic.

Semi-serious comic spoiler
It's been ages in the comics since any one has died as a result of a zombie attack.
[/QUOTE]

How far into does that happen? I read the comic when it first came out, I probably got 20 or so issues after the prison before I stopped. I do remember zombies were still a big threat during the this segment. The whole reason why they didnt want to leave the prison and just fight the governor was that everyone was still scared to death of actual zombies.

I assumed that at some point people would figure out how not to get eaten all the time......just feels a little early at this point in the show. As it stands now...there is no real reason to even fight for the prison because they could easily just walk out and find another place to live.

[quote name='Soodmeg']How far into does that happen? I read the comic when it first came out, I probably got 20 or so issues after the prison before I stopped. I do remember zombies were still a big threat during the this segment. The whole reason why they didnt want to leave the prison and just fight the governor was that everyone was still scared to death of actual zombies.

I assumed that at some point people would figure out how not to get eaten all the time......just feels a little early at this point in the show. As it stands now...there is no real reason to even fight for the prison because they could easily just walk out and find another place to live.[/QUOTE]
Major spoilers here
I think it was before they took over Woodbury when winter hit and they ran into another group of survivors with a scientist that mentioned it. I pretty much marathoned the entire comic series over a day so my recollection might be a bit off, but those were the major plot points.

[quote name='Rodimus']Rick's character is terribly unlikable at this point. Especially when Tyresse's group described Rick to the Gov

With that said Merle is my new favorite character to watch.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I wouldn't even give a shit if they killed every one of them off cept the dixon brothers. And is that girl supposed to be Tyrese's daughter or wife

Don't know what to think of this episode. Like others have mentioned, its just a filler. However.....
Tyrese going to the town and not being around to kick Rick's ass like he did in the comic kinda disappointed me. I was really hoping that it will snap him back into focus.

next week should be a bad ass episode though. With Rick, Carl, and Michonne going to a town filled with zombies, it should be good fun.

[quote name='ced']The Dixon Brothers vs The Walking Dead would make for an awesome spinoff.[/QUOTE]
That's what the new horrible looking game is about. The Dixon brothers wondering the TWD world it kinda looks like a shitty version of L4D

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't know why it took me so long but it just hit me with Merle's actor:

mallrats.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I never even thought about that. I really hope they work in a line about chocolate covered pretzels.

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't know why it took me so long but it just hit me with Merle's actor:

mallrats.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Don't forget Days of Thunder also

The fuck? Black peeps getting development on this show without dying? what is this madness.

Wish they would have took a different approach with Morgan oh well.

Another mediocre episode, nice to see the return of ninja zombies again.

I cant be the only one that wanted carl to trip that ax booby trap wire to spare us that acting once and for all.

[quote name='renique46']
I cant be the only one that wanted carl to trip that ax booby trap wire to spare us that acting once and for all.[/QUOTE]
LOL. I've decided he's worse than Wesley Crusher.

I loved the pilot episode so this one was a hit. I like how they didn't bounce around and stuck with Rick, Carl and Michonne. Bringing Andrea and her inane drama would've killed it.

Last night's episode was the second episode written by the future showrunner, Scott Gimple. He also wrote "Hounded". Next week's episode is written by Ryan Coleman, it's his first episode. The next episode written by Gimple is s03e15 "This sorrowful life", airing 3/24, and will be the next to last episode this season. Gimple takes over as the showrunner beginning with season 4.

I'm guessing the brick building Rick drove by twice with the burnt bodies was the old folks home from one of the earlier episodes in season 1. That little thing really made the episode.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm guessing the brick building Rick drove by twice with the burnt bodies was the old folks home from one of the earlier episodes in season 1. That little thing really made the episode.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. Sometimes I wish they'd stress some of these little details more often. I watched the talking dead after every episode, and that helps point out small things sometimes. But am I just that short sighted that I could have missed something like the color coordinated escape routes during the episode? And the pully system he had going on?

I really felt like the zombie apocalypse screwed up Morgan just as it would in real life...

Anyhow, Rick realized that going crazy is not an option and he obviously needed to become clear, but in a good way.

This build up will have to be epic, right?

bread's done
Back