AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

[quote name='Shimrra']The whole church scene made sense to me and for anyone else who saw Dawn of the Dead. George Romero vision about the movie was that even as zombies they still just wanted to go to the mall because it was ingrained into there minds. The zombies heard bells ringing and somewhere in there mind (or whats left of it) went to church to pray.

Not the greatest episode but it was still entertaining, I like alot of the subtle changes from the comic they have made. I can go back and reread the omnibus and still watch the movie with out having that "Oh here it comes moment"
but that scene were Carl gets shot was in the comic
how they got to that point was different.

Since there are some changes to the main story could this Walking Dead be based on an alternate timeline?[/QUOTE]

if theyre near
herschells place chances are the zombies were put n there by hm since in the comics he starts out against killng the zombies since theyre his neighbors.

I don't think this is a different timeline. I read that the show and the game are just going to be the same story told different. I happend to like last nights episode. I just don't like the time. I know it is odd but with the time that is to late for me. I have to be up early for work so it makes it hard for me to watch.

Just finished watching season 1 on Netflix. I don't have anything beyond antenna-based TV so I can't see season 2 yet. I don't want to read any spoilers so I'm not going to stick around here much until then.

...all that aside, I've read the books through around the 7th small collection and I'm pretty okay with the changes. My only gripe is too much CGI. I understand budget issues but I hope that the continued success of the show leads to more models being blown up as opposed to terrible looking explosions ala the end of the CDC building. Oh and stop sticking WW2 antiaircraft guns behind sandbags as modern machinegun emplacements. 50 cals and 240s people, look it up.

Eagerly awaiting getting to watch season 2.

[quote name='sendme']I don't think this is a different timeline. I read that the show and the game are just going to be the same story told different. I happend to like last nights episode. I just don't like the time. I know it is odd but with the time that is to late for me. I have to be up early for work so it makes it hard for me to watch.[/QUOTE]

I read the game was going to be the same timeline but with other characters that may or may not come across Rick and the group.

I was just thinking how in the second episode of the first season they made a point to try and keep the zombie blood off of everyone and they just forgot about that completely. When they were killing zombies blood was flying everywhere and no one was wearing any protection. Thank god they all miraculously avoided getting a single drop of blood on their clothes...

I think it's safe to assume that the Dr told Rick
that they were all already infected just as in the comic and not that Lori was pregnant because why would he tell that to Morgan.

[quote name='eliter1'] I was just thinking how in the second episode of the first season they made a point to try and keep the zombie blood off of everyone and they just forgot about that completely. When they were killing zombies blood was flying everywhere and no one was wearing any protection. Thank god they all miraculously avoided getting a single drop of blood on their clothes...[/QUOTE]

Speaking of blood, didn't they cover themselves in zombie guts/blood just so their human scent wouldn't be detected in the first season? Then in this one, all they have to do is simply hide under the cars to avoid getting munched on?!?

I also felt like that trailer at the end of the episode revealed wayyyyyy too much about what was happening this season. Meh.

[quote name='smiley241275']Speaking of blood, didn't they cover themselves in zombie guts/blood just so their human scent wouldn't be detected in the first season? Then in this one, all they have to do is simply hide under the cars to avoid getting munched on?!?

I also felt like that trailer at the end of the episode revealed wayyyyyy too much about what was happening this season. Meh.[/QUOTE]

I took it like it has to be a combination of visual and smelling senses but I could still argue the other way about it.

I don't think the trailer revealed anything if you have not read the comic, even then
as far as I could tell they just let us comic readers know that they are going to Hershel's farm but even then they have been talking about that since season 1 ended.

I liked a few scenes but the direction of this season being focused on characters not getting along is looking forced. Hopefully better in the weeks to come. Im suprised not many people are questioning if this show is gonna tank since frank darabont had to leave probably over them cutting the budget like a million this season?

[quote name='TheRock88']Do you guys mind spoiling the comic book stuff, not all of us have read it/finished reading it.[/QUOTE]

I thought it would be expected since there's a "beware spoilers" in the main title and since the show comes from a graphic novel, it'd be a given, but I apologize, I'll put graphic novel talk in spoilers.

The show doesn't follow the novel explicitly and has drifted from the graphic novel pretty heavily, as there was a huge scene towards the beginning where (and this is a huge spoiler)
Shane tries to kill Rick in the woods, but Shane is killed by Carl, Rick's son
. This was written out completely for the show. Maybe it'll take place later on, not sure, but in the graphic novel, it happened fairly early on.. right around where episode 4 was.

[quote name='Scorch']I thought it would be expected since there's a "beware spoilers" in the main title and since the show comes from a graphic novel, it'd be a given, but I apologize, I'll put graphic novel talk in spoilers.

The show doesn't follow the novel explicitly and has drifted from the graphic novel pretty heavily, as there was a huge scene towards the beginning where (and this is a huge spoiler)
Shane tries to kill Rick in the woods, but Shane is killed by Carl, Rick's son
. This was written out completely for the show. Maybe it'll take place later on, not sure, but in the graphic novel, it happened fairly early on.. right around where episode 4 was.[/QUOTE]

i expect carl and sophias characters will be pretty watered down especially carl even though they went with an older kid knowing what he does in the series unless they age him up to a teen or something they wont let him do all he did for fear of people whining about it.

I think one of the main problems with the show is an utter lack of subtext. They have a lot of potential for tense drama but the writers bungle it with expository dialog and a tendency to over explain every story element.

The way characters express themselves so bluntly is hokey and unrealistic and just saps all the tension right out. Those gag worthy monologues have really got to go too. Do we really need two prayer scenes? All the drama just feels so forced.

I don’t think the show suffers from a lack of action or melodramatic actors (they do a serviceable job with what they‘re given), but the writer’s mishandling of the characters and story conflict.

I did like some of the plot devices from this episode like being over run by a herd, a scared kid running off and getting lost, the abrupt violence of a tranquil moment in the final scene. That’s the kind of unpredictability that the comic utilizes so well.

I’m sticking with the show cause I see a lot of potential and the production values still seem high. I was actually excited to see Glen Mazzara taking over as I was a big fan of the Shield . Hopefully, the writers will find their stride, but so far I feel like the sub par writing and storytelling is holding it back.

Yeah, the show is pretty lackluster...but whatever. I'll keep watching it until it slowly dies off. I'll just imagine that it's something completely different from the books.

But again, why Why WHY do they need to CGI the blood effects!? It looks like shit and it's just LAZY!

Oh man do I agree with everyone about the monologues. They are so miserable it's not even funny. The already mediocre acting skills these people have get dropped down to wretched when they start trying to monologue (especially Rick).

I am disappointed that the show is not staying true to the comic as much as it should.
Shane should be dead by now and that's one of my bigger gripes about them branching off.
I think they are doing an alright job of developing the characters, but I don't remember Andrea hating Dale so much in the comics.

As far as the special effects go, they were pretty top notch this episode. The highway as they were leaving Atlanta was really poorly done CGI (the side with all the cars), but I didn't mind the blood effects all that much (would've preferred fake blood over CGI tho). I just hope they avoid doing explosions as much as possible. The CDC explosion was god awful.

I'd give the show to date a 7/10. Not super good, but watchable. I suspect it will get better with time, but for now it's fairly mediocre. I will definitely keep watching though as I am a diehard zombie/post-apocalyptic fiction fan and a HUGE Walking Dead comic fan.

Something odd I noticed the other night about season 1's finale. BEWARE SPOILERS if you haven't seen the show yet. So Andrea and the black woman (forgot her name) decide to stay behind to be blown up when the compound self destructs. Why does Dale protest to Andrea's decision to stay behind but not the black woman's? Also I found it weird when the black lady (same character) just happens to have a granade, why hasn't she used it yet? They've been in dire situations when it was needed but she just happens to pull it out of her ass now?

[quote name='Rodimus']Something odd I noticed the other night about season 1's finale. BEWARE SPOILERS if you haven't seen the show yet. So Andrea and the black woman (forgot her name) decide to stay behind to be blown up when the compound self destructs. Why does Dale protest to Andrea's decision to stay behind but not the black woman's? Also I found it weird when the black lady (same character) just happens to have a granade, why hasn't she used it yet? They've been in dire situations when it was needed but she just happens to pull it out of her ass now?[/QUOTE]

He didn't care about the black lady :lol:

[quote name='Rodimus']Something odd I noticed the other night about season 1's finale. BEWARE SPOILERS if you haven't seen the show yet. So Andrea and the black woman (forgot her name) decide to stay behind to be blown up when the compound self destructs. Why does Dale protest to Andrea's decision to stay behind but not the black woman's? Also I found it weird when the black lady (same character) just happens to have a granade, why hasn't she used it yet? They've been in dire situations when it was needed but she just happens to pull it out of her ass now?[/QUOTE]

Dale had a deeper relationship with Andrea than the black woman. I forgot which episode it was but he said that he looked at Andrea and Amy as if they were his own daughters.

Still I thought it was kind of a dick move considering they've survivied together for so long, you'd figure they all would have a significant relationship with each other at this point. But nope I'm staying behind for the blond white woman, the black lady can kill herself and I won't bat an eye.

Didn't something terrible happen to the black woman and she didn't want to live anymore? I know the white chick's sister became a zombie in her arms and all, but I can't remember why the black lady didn't want to come along and wanted to stay and die.

[quote name='Rodimus']Still I thought it was kind of a dick move considering they've survivied together for so long, you'd figure they all would have a significant relationship with each other at this point. But nope I'm staying behind for the blond white woman, the black lady can kill herself and I won't bat an eye.[/QUOTE]
You should really stop trying to analyze shitty writing lol. It will drive you insane.

Yeah, you're right. Just me and a buddy were talking about the show and this scene came into the discussion. Just thought I'd share with my internet peeps.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Didn't something terrible happen to the black woman and she didn't want to live anymore? I know the white chick's sister became a zombie in her arms and all, but I can't remember why the black lady didn't want to come along and wanted to stay and die.[/QUOTE]

Basically she gave up hope just like the Doc pretty much. It was the easy way out of the god awful shit hole they were all in.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']Basically she gave up hope just like the Doc pretty much. It was the easy way out of the god awful shit hole they were all in.[/QUOTE]

Because their outlook was all wrong. They need to think more like the chars in Zombieland. They get all sorts of free stuff, they get to travel, they get to take all their anger out on those zombie ass holes, and they still get to be around people.

She was just a whiner ;)

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Didn't something terrible happen to the black woman and she didn't want to live anymore? I know the white chick's sister became a zombie in her arms and all, but I can't remember why the black lady didn't want to come along and wanted to stay and die.[/QUOTE]

yeah she was stuck in an undead world with a bunch of annoying white people lol. dude youre surrounded by death everything youve ever known is but a memory and death lurks around every corner ( or with limited budgeting in every limited nearby area) so she was tired of fighting and just wanted to die somewhat peacefully.

I enjoyed the first episode of the second season, however, a few scenes seemed repeatitive (been there done that).

The characters do seem a bit over the top when they spill their guts and over dramatically make their points.

Hopefully all the pieces will come together and more action takes place.

Has anyone seen the Walking Dead action figures? I was really excited when they were first announced because I was expecting more of a statue/figurine because its from McFarlane Toys. But all they are are 5 inch cheap looking toys but they aren't cheap. They retail for ~$15 and TRU has them for $20. I'm quite disappointed but will pick them up if I can find them for $5 or less.

[quote name='Darknuke']Because their outlook was all wrong. They need to think more like the chars in Zombieland. They get all sorts of free stuff, they get to travel, they get to take all their anger out on those zombie ass holes, and they still get to be around people.

She was just a whiner ;)[/QUOTE]
This right here is why I stopped watching. I don't need a zombie soap. I want to have fun when I'm watching and the show is taking itself too seriously.

And here I thought it was TNT that 'knows drama'. . .

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Has anyone seen the Walking Dead action figures? I was really excited when they were first announced because I was expecting more of a statue/figurine because its from McFarlane Toys. But all they are are 5 inch cheap looking toys but they aren't cheap. They retail for ~$15 and TRU has them for $20. I'm quite disappointed but will pick them up if I can find them for $5 or less.[/QUOTE]
Hate, hate, hate.

From what I saw, the figures are pretty tight. The zombie lurker comes apart in multiple places - head, arms, legs, torso. I wish I had toys like that when I was a kid.

dragonballzcentral_2180_16620013

[quote name='Jodou']This right here is why I stopped watching. I don't need a zombie soap. I want to have fun when I'm watching and the show is taking itself too seriously.

And here I thought it was TNT that 'knows drama'. . .[/QUOTE]

It's an AMC show :cool:

[quote name='Rodimus']Still I thought it was kind of a dick move considering they've survivied together for so long, you'd figure they all would have a significant relationship with each other at this point. But nope I'm staying behind for the blond white woman, the black lady can kill herself and I won't bat an eye.[/QUOTE]

I think this is because of what recently occurred with her sister Amy getting mauled by a zombie and then dieing and turning into a zombie in her arms and her having to shoot her. I think maybe Dale's prospective was she was making a choice based simply off the strong emotions of those tragic recent events and not thinking things through fully simply giving up the will to live due to her grief. Where as the black woman made the decision fairly sound minded (although debatable cause their living a nightmare) but Andrea did leave with Dale so she must have had some doubts about going through with it. The black woman could have also left with them if she had doubts and changed her mind but I think she was set on dieing on her own terms in a painless way instead of the practically inevitable being ripped apart by zombies and maybe Dale respected that choice I mean everyone else did pretty much also.

Surprised no one's posted this yet, but the first episode got HUGE ratings.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ason-premiere-delivers-record-ratings/107480/

New York – October 17, 2011 – Last night’s season two premiere of AMC’s original series, “The Walking Dead” delivered the strongest telecast for any drama in basic cable history. The season two premiere delivered 4.8 million Adults 18-49 and 4.2 million Adults 25-54 shattering a basic cable record set nearly 10 years ago for a single drama telecast. The program delivered a 4.8 HH rating netting 7.3 million total viewers. These results represent a 36% and 38% increase respectively over season one’s series average on AMC. Season one’s series average delivered the most A18-49 viewers for a drama in basic cable history.

[quote name='ImLuhkee']Just to make sure, Morgan and Duane were only in the first episode. No short cameos or anything right?[/QUOTE]
spoiler Morgan and Duane will be back, but probably not until the fourth season if the show keeps going that far. I tell everyone this about walking dead who hasn't read the comic. Everything just gets worse.

[quote name='Rodimus']Also I found it weird when the black lady (same character) just happens to have a granade, why hasn't she used it yet? They've been in dire situations when it was needed but she just happens to pull it out of her ass now?[/QUOTE]

Rick found the grenade in the tank when he first went to Atlanta and stashed it in his bag. He never told anyone. When they use it the black lady tells him they found it in his bag or something like that.

Finally caught the first ep of the 2nd season today. It was decent just not enough progression for my taste. I did like the part
where Carl got shot though.

[quote name='thefordprefect']spoiler Morgan and Duane will be back, but probably not until the fourth season if the show keeps going that far. I tell everyone this about walking dead who hasn't read the comic. Everything just gets worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they'll be back sooner because the guy who played the dad was an arguably primary character in Jericho (really wish that show wasn't cancelled, started out corny but got real good). They wouldn't hire that guy if they weren't planning on giving him some screen time. The thing is the show doesn't follow the comics much, so it's hard to estimate when and what is going to happen. I'm a little disappointed because of that, but not so much due to Kirkman kinda being a shitty writer. And a total diva with his whole "I'm going to write this forever with no end in sight, and I refuse to read Max Brooks works because it could taint my glorious vision of zombie apocalpyse. Granted
the prison
was a unique idea, but other than that, Kirkman is the same as anybody. No better than Romero compared to his original trilogy, but at the same time no worse compared to Romero's modern efforts.

Man who is the blond bitch blowing to be getting this much screentime. Half the episodes they make her seem like the focal point.

I dont know what to say about episode. You could be told what happens in 20 seconds and save the hour watching it. Its the usually filler episode from any long running series but coming from the second half of the last episode the series feels like is crawling.

The episode did what it had to do but I wish they could have push it back and put in something a little more exciting.

SPOILER KINDA!!!!
And find this fucking kid
already so it can stop being part of the story.

Yeah, this latest episode coming off the already slow first episode has made the pace really shitty. When it ended I was like what? Didn't seem like enough happened to even last an hour.

[quote name='crunchb3rry'] The thing is the show doesn't follow the comics much, so it's hard to estimate when and what is going to happen. I'm a little disappointed because of that, but not so much due to Kirkman kinda being a shitty writer. And a total diva with his whole "I'm going to write this forever with no end in sight[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that a little bit. I've felt like the comic has dragged on quite a bit and it has really slowed down to a crawl the last year or so. I'm starting to not even care about the characters and how they act. Partially because it drags on, partially because they are just getting kind of crappy.

Kirkman's writing can be pretty so-so. Some parts of Invincible were awesome, but other parts are so bad. For that reason I'm pretty happy with the differences from the comics. I really like the big change so far.

Also on the no end in sight - should've Invincible ended a few years ago at the end of the big storyline. Perfect spot - since then its been massively draggy.

I was hoping they would reveal Herschel's barn at the end of this episode, assuming it's going to be like the comic. Like others said above, the pace this season is moving at blows.

[quote name='blindinglights']I was hoping they would reveal Herschel's barn at the end of this episode, assuming it's going to be like the comic. Like others said above, the pace this season is moving at blows.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I had almost forgotten about that... But
they were certainly foreshadowing it when Herschel was so adamant that a cure would be found.

man now i dont feel like i should even bother watching this episode and if they are still
looking for that fucking kid
wtf? im beyond being annoyed that its not following the comic but even as a show on its own fuck this thing is hard to watch.

one of the biggest issues i had with the first episode of season 2 was the lack of fear.
your car dies on the blocked freeway there should have been more of a sense of urgency on top of that youve got dead bodies in cars that may or may not be alive ( or unalive whatever) that moment should have been very fucking tense add to that the herd then cmon. it felt like a family having a car break down during a vacation waiting for someone to pass by to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've enjoyed the first two episodes. But then again, I understand that (just like LOST) the show is about the characters. The lack of massive zombie interaction in each episode doesn't really taint it for me. It's just as much about avoiding the zombies as it is about fighting them. I thought there were some pretty damn tense moments in this last episode.
The scene with Herschel removing the shrapnel from Carl was gut wrenching if you can appreciate how helpless Rick must have been feeling at that moment. Even when he shouts out "you're killing him", shows how emotionally torn he was.

Personally, I thought that was good writing because, unlike a lot of shows, it didn't pull any punches. Same thing as when
Rick and Darrell had to gut the zombie to make sure the little girl hadn't been eaten.
These are real world thoughts that most survival movies/shows just skip right over. I see so many complaints in this thread. I just don't understand what people are looking for. Yes, it's a drama with a little action thrown in here and there. But it's one of the best dramas on television.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was I felt it ended kind of abruptly. It didn't feel like a cliff hanger, it felt more like a commercial break pause.

[quote name='lokizz']man now i dont feel like i should even bother watching this episode and if they are still
looking for that fucking kid
wtf? im beyond being annoyed that its not following the comic but even as a show on its own fuck this thing is hard to watch.

one of the biggest issues i had with the first episode of season 2 was the lack of fear.[/QUOTE] Or just bad writing = frustratingly stupid acting characters.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I've enjoyed the first two episodes. But then again, I understand that (just like LOST) the show is about the characters. The lack of massive zombie interaction in each episode doesn't really taint it for me. It's just as much about avoiding the zombies as it is about fighting them. I thought there were some pretty damn tense moments in this last episode.
The scene with Herschel removing the shrapnel from Carl was gut wrenching if you can appreciate how helpless Rick must have been feeling at that moment. Even when he shouts out "you're killing him", shows how emotionally torn he was.

Personally, I thought that was good writing because, unlike a lot of shows, it didn't pull any punches. Same thing as when
Rick and Darrell had to gut the zombie to make sure the little girl hadn't been eaten.
These are real world thoughts that most survival movies/shows just skip right over. I see so many complaints in this thread. I just don't understand what people are looking for. Yes, it's a drama with a little action thrown in here and there. But it's one of the best dramas on television.[/QUOTE]

No, no, no. Bad writing through and through, and, this show is pulling a lot of punches. Game of Thrones and American Horror Show are definitely more edgy than this show. Try them out if you want better writing and less of unintentionally stupid characters as a result.

EDIT: People like me want the stupid characters to get fucking eaten already. I'm looking at pretty much most of the females, because they are written horribly. For example, the lady with buzz cut that is completely useless to the group and the plot, and the blond that just wants to feel sorry for herself and and be annoying in general.

[quote name='Stealthcat']EDIT: People like me want the stupid characters to get fucking eaten already. I'm looking at pretty much most of the females, because they are written horribly. For example, the lady with buzz cut that is completely useless to the group and the plot, and the blond that just wants to feel sorry for herself and and be annoying in general.[/QUOTE]

What you see as "annoying", I see as "real". While Andrea (blond) probably has less of an excuse (eventually, she needs to accept things and move on), she has gone through a traumatic event and just isn't coping well. It's not a great time for that, considering there are zombies running around and they're fighting for their own survival, but it's not like her actions/words are unwarranted.

As for the lady with the buzzcut, she's all messed up for a bunch of reasons. She lived at least the past decade of her life being married to a lunatic who wouldn't let her enjoy anything. And the only thing she values in the entire world has now been missing for 3 days. It's understandable why she might be a little distraught. The only way these things are "annoying" is if you don't have an appreciation for the human condition.

Is everything in the story the way I would write it? No. But I don't think it's broken in any way either. I've heard a lot of good things about Game of Thrones, but I've seen so many shows/movies based around that premise that it just doesn't interest me. The premise of The Walking Dead interests me. I just wonder why people continue to watch the show if there are so many things about it they don't like.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']What you see as "annoying", I see as "real". While Andrea (blond) probably has less of an excuse (eventually, she needs to accept things and move on), she has gone through a traumatic event and just isn't coping well. It's not a great time for that, considering there are zombies running around and they're fighting for their own survival, but it's not like her actions/words are unwarranted.

As for the lady with the buzzcut, she's all messed up for a bunch of reasons. She lived at least the past decade of her life being married to a lunatic who wouldn't let her enjoy anything. And the only thing she values in the entire world has now been missing for 3 days. It's understandable why she might be a little distraught. The only way these things are "annoying" is if you don't have an appreciation for the human condition.

Is everything in the story the way I would write it? No. But I don't think it's broken in any way either. I've heard a lot of good things about Game of Thrones, but I've seen so many shows/movies based around that premise that it just doesn't interest me. The premise of The Walking Dead interests me. I just wonder why people continue to watch the show if there are so many things about it they don't like.[/QUOTE]

No, the characters are just written stupidly. Another example, why would you let the children wander around on their own on a highway full of dead people in cars when anyone of them could be a zombie? That's just stupid. And if there was a zombie apocalypse, that is when cold hearted people without appreciation for the human condition would survive. Stupid people would only get killed quickly, and, get others killed also. The stupid characters do not fit the logic of the whole be smart or get eaten world of zombies. They are part of it, they just shouldn't stay alive for a long time.

I care about characters that are interesting - the redneck, the sheriff, the other cop. But, what you've posted about the female characters has further proven my point. The women are written horribly. We have a woman that can't fend for herself, has no will, and needs a man to step in and save her ass, and another woman who was abused, can't fend for herself, and needs everyone to step in and save her ass. Not every woman in real life is like that. These roles are just very cliche and probably a staff full of males who can't write a strong female. No, the sheriff's wife is not to that point yet.

I'm a fan of the genre, I watch in hope that it will improve. Even if the plot sucks, watching zombies get mutilated never gets old. And what Game of Thrones pulls in its plot twist, no, you haven't seen that in 99% of shows before. It's badass.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='coolsteel']I loved that ending, about time someone did that.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Makes it more realistic (imo) that eventually it would come to that and quicker rather than later.

Reminds me of the comic when Rick killed the head convict who planned on kicking them out of the prison

bread's done
Back