Android games ongoing sales.

I think you have to add your device to your Amazon account under Your Account > Your Apps and Devices and then go to Add A Device. It said it was not compatible with my phone or tablet but still let me add it. I will download and let you know.
If this is the rare case of an Amazon app that is only optimized for Kindle, I'd be really surprised. It marked my device as incompatible too, but for free I'm willing to test it out.

I'm a new convert from ios and am looking for something like app shopper that tracks historical prices on apps. Does anything like that exist in the android world?

Yeah, that's what I use too, but as a(nother) recent iOS convert, it doesn't hold water to AppShopper or even AppZap. There really isn't any equivalent on Android, and it's frustrating. Anyone that wants to make some money, this would be a great app to develop. Shocked that no one has done a better job than AppSales so far.
Yep, and yep. My wife has an iPhone, and we have 2 iPads, and I have an android phone. I check Appshopper every day, and could not stand AppSales for the 3 weeks that I had it on my phone. Hated the banner, didn't like the sponsored ads, and it didn't even catch a large part of the sales. Plus, there aren't as many android sales, It doesn't help that Google Play is not very giveaway-friendly (once you go free, you never go back... unless the devs create a new entry for the same game with an adjusted name at a new price... which stops getting supported the second the promo ends).

Yep, and yep. My wife has an iPhone, and we have 2 iPads, and I have an android phone. I check Appshopper every day, and could not stand AppSales for the 3 weeks that I had it on my phone. Hated the banner, didn't like the sponsored ads, and it didn't even catch a large part of the sales. Plus, there aren't as many android sales, It doesn't help that Google Play is not very giveaway-friendly (once you go free, you never go back... unless the devs create a new entry for the same game with an adjusted name at a new price... which stops getting supported the second the promo ends).
AppSales has been solid for me (besides the sponsored ads), love the sync feature since I flash/restore my devices a lot

There just has not been that many Android sales lately, guess we need to wait for a holiday or something.

Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs of The Dragon

(because really, you need Dragon twice in the title)

Was fun up to a point, once you over commit yourself to attacking a village and loose all your soldiers, then have to spend days rebuilding them back up to that point it just became tedious.

forgot to get those games from amazon yesterday :(

i just bought galaxy s2

is there a way to just get the license for free games and not download it right away?

But...only if you already have an android device (any android device) registered to your account. Once you've ordered it, you can download it to any compatible device in the future, but if you don't have any registered to your account, it won't allow you to buy anything. Same is true in both Amazon app store and Google Play store.

You can "purchase" the apps from the amazon website and download them later from you downloads list.

Hope this is OK to ask here, hopefully it doesn't come up too too much.

Planning on moving from Windows Phone to Android.  I really enjoy mobile gaming, so how are the games and deals on the Android platform.  Any sort of "weekly deals" or specials?  I know Amazon seems to partner with the Google Play store from time to time and offer some good deals.

Thanks in advance.

Hope this is OK to ask here, hopefully it doesn't come up too too much.

Planning on moving from Windows Phone to Android. I really enjoy mobile gaming, so how are the games and deals on the Android platform. Any sort of "weekly deals" or specials? I know Amazon seems to partner with the Google Play store from time to time and offer some good deals.

Thanks in advance.
I haven't checked out the Windows Phone store so I can't compare them.

The Amazon app store is separate from the Google Play store, they don't partner up. Amazon has some good sales and offers a free app every day as well as other freebies on occasion. Most are bad, some are good. You can download an Android emulator right now called BlueStacks and put both the Google Play and Amazon App Store on it if you want to take advantage of any sales and specials between now and when you get your phone.

Google does sales once in awhile, but great deals organized by them are somewhat far between. Unfortunately they don't allow apps to go free, but developers have ways around that to offer freebies, usually in the form of unlock codes or putting up free versions of their apps temporarily.

There are also a couple of apps that track sales and freebies. There's AppSales, App of the Day (UK only I believe, but you can download the .apk and manually put it on your phone), and AppGratis which is like App of the Day but for your phone. The first will keep you alerted to sales. The other two do free daily apps, often through the use of a code.

There's also the Humble Android and Mobile Bundles. There's one going on right now. You may want to pay a small amount before Wednesday to try and get the bonuses (they should unlock for everyone this time). You can probably avoid BTA right now. Carmageddon has been for 2 or 3 times already. https://www.humblebundle.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon has its own app store (separate from Google) with lots of sales and a free app every day:

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

Google Play has some really good sales every now and then.

Humble Bundle and other "indie" bundles often have Android game bundles for really low prices. In fact, there's one running right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Lots of decent free apps on Google play but be choosy (and check app permissions).

Amazon has its own app store (separate from Google) with lots of sales and a free app every day:

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

Google Play has some really good sales every now and then.

Humble Bundle and other "indie" bundles often have Android game bundles for really low prices. In fact, there's one running right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Lots of decent free apps on Google play but be choosy (and check app permissions).
pretty sure amazon has very FEW SALES maybe once a week if your lucky.

Key an eye on this site:

http://www.app-sales.net/

I have it on my RSS reader. Very useful, since it is not always easy to see what is on sale on Google play. Amazon is on my bad side since most (all?) there apps require an internet connection all the time.
i have around 100 apps on my kindle what none of then needs a connection.

best i have

kingdom rush

angry birds star wars

ninja cats vs dogs

garfields def 1 and 2

order up

Middle Manager of Justice best i found so far

Pixel Defenders Puzzle
Monster Galaxy: Exile
Monster Galaxy
Terapets 2 -Tame Fight Monster

about my top 10

i have around 100 apps on my kindle what none of then needs a connection.

best i have

kingdom rush

angry birds star wars

ninja cats vs dogs

garfields def 1 and 2

order up

Middle Manager of Justice best i found so far

Pixel Defenders Puzzle
Monster Galaxy: Exile
Monster Galaxy
Terapets 2 -Tame Fight Monster

about my top 10
I think I figured out what happens. It needs an internet connection at least once when you start up the app, otherwise it says "needs a connection" I installed probably 50 apps without opening them. Then tried to open them without wifi, which gives the error. You need to open the app at least once with wifi to get it to work without it. I just tried it with one app right now.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/07/amazon-app-stores-drm-to-be-more-restrictive-than-googles/

Though in the thread above it sounds like for some other people they need to refresh the token more often.

It might be partially device specific. I am using a Pantech Burst

An app on sale for free is still on sale. And I've gotten some great apps from that. What's your beef with Amazon? Do you work for one of their competitors?

said sales not free apps. amazon has what one free app a day they put up what is mostly trash or spamwere

An app on sale for free is still on sale. And I've gotten some great apps from that. What's your beef with Amazon? Do you work for one of their competitors?
Just a bit of advice: don't try to reason with slidecage. Many have tried, none have succeeded, and his formatting will melt your brain should he get going. I don't want to go too much into it, but just know it's futile on your part no matter how the facts add up, trust me :headache:

its called

Free app of the day. So you know your going to get it free everyday. Something that comes every day is not a sale (at least not to me)

never knew of any store that can have one item on sale and call it a sale

Thanks for the info guys.  Sorry it started a really stupid argument wit slidecage.

One question, people have said that the Android on Amazon and Google Play are different, but everything bought on either store should run on a new Android device, right?  

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry it started a really stupid argument wit slidecage.

One question, people have said that the Android on Amazon and Google Play are different, but everything bought on either store should run on a new Android device, right?
If an app is compatible with the device it won't matter which store you buy from. The only difference between the two is how updates are handled and pricing. If you have a device tied to either your Google or Amazon account, you can go to the store page on either Google Play or Amazon and it will tell you if it's compatible/incompatible, though on occasion certain devices that can run the apps fine are still excluded for no apparent reason.

It's a bit confusing at first, but once you get the gist of it it's not so bad, and you get all the other benefits of Android for it ^_^

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry it started a really stupid argument wit slidecage.

Pretty much. Google won't let you install an app if the developer hasn't marked it as compatible for your device.

Man I need good apps like HD Widgets and Nova Launcher to go on sale..
I just saw the preview for that. You might want to check out WidgetLocker. It doesn't come with a set of configurable widget like HD Widgets, but it does come with a slew of predefined widgets AND you can use ANY widget by ANY other app.

Just curious, how good are HD Widgets compared to Beautiful Widgets?  And are the widgets in HD Widgets resource intensive?  I already have Beautiful Widgets, and I heard lots of good things about HD Widgets, but there is no point in getting them if they are not better than BW and if they slow down my Nexus 7.  But then again, I may get them to increase my options; I mean I have the Swype, Swiftkey, and Thumb keyboards on my Nexus 7, after all.

Not sure if I see the point of paying for any widgets, the first thing I did when I got my phone was get rid of mine. Maybe I'm old school but less stuff covering my wallpaper the better. Fill me in on what am I missing out on that I can't just open an app for.

Not sure if I see the point of paying for any widgets, the first thing I did when I got my phone was get rid of mine. Maybe I'm old school but less stuff covering my wallpaper the better. Fill me in on what am I missing out on that I can't just open an app for.
It's not about the amount of widgets, but more about the customization level it provides. More importantly, it provides behavior to provide conveniences.

My lock screen is very simple. Just a very large clock display and the jellybean unlock icon.
However, I have full control of what happens in all 8 directions of the unlock icon. Swiping from the left edge of the screen instantly pulls out a list of favorite apps. I also have Missed it! running and i can place it anywhere i like on the screen. In fact, I can place any widget at any size anywhere on my lock screen.

The ability to set up your lock screen to look and behave just the way you want it. Like you are building Lego.

PS: check out Missed it!

EDIT: With Missed it! You can set it to be invisible if you have no notifications. When you do receive something, you can set it to show the counter and any text string you want. I.e. "1 text" "2 texts" "1 email"
Tapping on these notification labels will open directly to the app so you can view it.

bread's done
Back