Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Wolfkin']dude i totally get that. I've been taking a leave of Naruto (manga) since... hm.. I don't even remember it's been that long. Ever few weeks I debate with myself two things 1) should I pick up Naruto again and 2) I wonder if the Anime has caught up to where I left off in the Manga. I actually gave up on the anime after i think 150 eps or so. Ever since I heard it's ending I've been thinking about picking up One Piece but again I'm just really lazy to do it.[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about the original series? Because after 135, it's all just filler that adds nothing to the plot, so I'd be surprised if anybody actually stuck with it.

[quote name='Wolfkin']One Piece sounded like the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. However trusted recommendations plus the sheer size of it has me tempted.. verily tempted, to pick it up[/QUOTE]

Take the trip. The journey is totally worth it. A billion times better than Naruto.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Are you talking about the original series? Because after 135, it's all just filler that adds nothing to the plot, so I'd be surprised if anybody actually stuck with it.[/QUOTE]

do people actually talk about shippuden as a different series? not in my experience. most people just say naruto for the thing as a whole, which i'm guessing is the case here. the naruto anime has ups and downs and i've learned to just skip the downs as they're not worth watching.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']do people actually talk about shippuden as a different series? not in my experience. most people just say naruto for the thing as a whole, which i'm guessing is the case here. the naruto anime has ups and downs and i've learned to just skip the downs as they're not worth watching.[/QUOTE]
They changed the name and reset the numbering, so I don't see why you wouldn't call them by their respective names. He said he stopped at 150, which I don't think Shippuden's reached yet (says they're at 134 on Hulu) so I wanted to be sure I was reading it right.

I have finished watching Blood: The Last Vampire and Polyphonica.

Blood: The Last Vampire wasn't any good. Sure, some of the fight scenes were cool, but everything else was either stupid or haphazardly handled.

Polyphonica was indifferent. The whole show was rather lackluster and generic. The best part about Polyphonica was the opening song—eufonius fucking rocks—and some of the character designs, such as Corti and Matia. Some of the songs that the characters play are good, but the characters' animations don't even match how I would imagine how that song would be played, which is annoying.

[quote name='crystalklear64']watch one piece.

only anime that still has me interested after all these years.[/QUOTE]

I'll add that to my list of stuff that needs to be bought/watched. Heh, I need to start making a dent in all of the stuff that I own; seems like my pile of unwatched DVDs is growing faster than the rate at which I watch them.

i didn't like the blood movie, but i started blood+ last night.
it definitely has potential and i found it interesting for a first few eps.

Just caught up to the current volume of Angel Heart. This is one series I am going to be following (the other being Kindaichi )

to confirm I never made it to N:S although I've seen the first couple eps of that when it first started. I would have never called them by different names. Always considered it the same series.. but Frisky makes a good point since they started the numbering over I guess it is the more appropriate measure. I was thinking kinda like Trigun/Trigun Maximum but I guess the more appropriate analogy would be DB/DBZ/DBGT. hm.. Trigun. I haven't seen Trigun in years.

Well, I just finished R.O.D. TV. I loved the show. The three sisters are so awesome! Also, the other characters are awesome too. It was great to see all of the characters from the OVA come back and have a part in the story. Another thing is that I really like the idea of controlling paper as a super power—fucking brilliant!

So yeah, the three paper sisters, Anita, Maggie, and Michelle are some of the best damn characters ever; each sister has a different personality, but they are perfect for each other—they are foils for each other. I wish there were more slice-of-life episodes without any conflict; those were some of the best moments of the show.

Oh, the soundtrack is phenomenal. One of the best anime openings that I have seen. The opening song is fantastic; I love the spy-esque-jazz sound, and the drums are amazing! The drums!

One last thing: I'm proud to say that R.O.D. TV was able to make me cry a couple times. It's not often that something is good enough to evoke those kind of emotions in me. Actually, I think the best things are the things able to bring me to tears; experiencing media that powerful is an amazing thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Razzuel']Well, I just finished R.O.D. TV. I loved the show. The three sisters are so awesome! Also, the other characters are awesome too. It was great to see all of the characters from the OVA come back and have a part in the story. Another thing is that I really like the idea of controlling paper as a super power—fucking brilliant!

So yeah, the three paper sisters, Anita, Maggie, and Michelle are some of the best damn characters ever; each sister has a different personality, but they are perfect for each other—they are foils for each other. I wish there were more slice-of-life episodes without any conflict; those were some of the best moments of the show.

Oh, the soundtrack is phenomenal. One of the best anime openings that I have seen. The opening song is fantastic; I love the spy-esque-jazz sound, and the drums are amazing! The drums!

One last thing: I'm proud to say that R.O.D. was able to make me cry a couple times. It's not often that something is good enough to evoke those kind of emotions in me. Actually, I think the best things are the things able to bring me to tears; experiencing media that powerful is an amazing thing.[/QUOTE]

Word. Amazing show, thanks for finally buying and watching it. :D

Finally found a show I hadn't seen before that is entertaining, Kurozuka. Appeal is mainly the art style and violence, though the moderately disjointed storytelling is interesting as well.

The action sequences are nicely animated with a decent amount of gore. I'd recommend it for slashin' fans.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']ROD TV is that good? I guess I know what's after Blood+ then.[/QUOTE]

It *is* that good IMO, but I don't know if you personally would like it, given what kinds of shows your normally seem to watch (shounen, right? or am I thinking of someone else?). And also given your reaction to Eureka Seven (if I remember correctly, you didn't care for it too much). Not saying there's anything wrong w/ that, just that it might not be your style. I mean, it has some badass moments, but overall it's very emotionally focused. It all depends on whether you like the main characters (3 sisters) or not. Not trying to deter you, just a warning I guess. Definitely worth checking out though.

Also, don't be dumb like I was, watching the TV series before the OVA. The OVA is first, heh (unlike every other anime series that I know of). I bet you probably already knew that, but just saying in case...

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Also, don't be dumb like I was, watching the TV series before the OVA. The OVA is first, heh (unlike every other anime series that I know of). I bet you probably already knew that, but just saying in case...[/QUOTE]

I still can't believe you did that, heh.

i watched ROD when it game out 100 years ago or whatever.

i am *the shounen guy* i guess. still i loved perfect blue, gankutsuou, and monster.
ROD OAV was awesome from what I remember. hmmm now that i think about it i might have watched the tv show. i'm going to have to look into that, it's coming back to me.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I still can't believe you did that, heh.[/QUOTE]

LOL, to be honest, I had seen the OVA before (when it aired on adult swim like 4-5 years ago). I even had taped it (still have it). I just didn't remember any of it. Know why? 'Cause I didn't really like it that much. (during my Naruto phase when I was just getting into anime).

Really though, watching it out of order just made the OVA seem very mediocre in comparison. It had the "good graphics" and animation of the first 5 episodes of the TV series, which was nice, though. Still don't really see why people love it so much, though. Must have been 10x more amazing when it came out "100 years ago."

[quote name='PrarieD0G']LOL, to be honest, I had seen the OVA before (when it aired on adult swim like 4-5 years ago). I even had taped it (still have it). I just didn't remember any of it. Know why? 'Cause I didn't really like it that much. (during my Naruto phase when I was just getting into anime).

Really though, watching it out of order just made the OVA seem very mediocre in comparison. It had the "good graphics" and animation of the first 5 episodes of the TV series, which was nice, though. Still don't really see why people love it so much, though. Must have been 10x more amazing when it came out "100 years ago."[/QUOTE]

Hey, now, don't sell the OVA short. The OVA is still awesome. It's just that the TV series is even more awesome.

[quote name='Razzuel']Hey, now, don't sell the OVA short. The OVA is still awesome. It's just that the TV series is even more awesome.[/QUOTE]

This. The OVA was an extremely fun, enjoyable adventure, but the TV series has far more heart.

Yeah, I still thought it was pretty good. Just overrated. Just my opinion. (Yes, I know I'm in the minority. But we're all allowed our own opinions right :p )

Yeah, TV series does have more heart.

[quote name='the_punisher']I don't see why everyone likes ROD so much. I thought it was really shallow, not emotional at all. I couldn't get into it.[/QUOTE]
the series is super forced emotions and lesbians.

the ova however is action packed goodness.

Uhh... they're sisters, not lesbians. I mean, the middle sister is probably a lesbian, but what does that have to do with anything? It's such a minor little nothing in the whole scheme of things; she doesn't even actually do anything with them anyway. (and it's not like she's hitting on her sisters either, so I don't see what the problem is.)

OVA sucks ass. Shallow action. Minimal plot.

How do you like that for a gross overstatement? =P

Heh, but that's not to say the TV series is perfect either. I guess if you're not open-minded, and think shit has to be badass/manly all the time I could see how someone wouldn't like it. While I thought it did drag in parts and had a somewhat contrived plot towards the end (like almost any other anime), I liked it a lot overall. Also wanted to add that I agree with Razzuel in that the slice-of-life parts were my favorite too. And the soundtrack is dank.

doesn't need to be badass or manly, just not annoying/boring.
there are interesting ways of telling a story that isn't full of action. rod tv for me just doesn't have that. specific reasons of course, but mainly due to the cast of characters set in a boring universe as far as anime goes. you have the tall shy girl, the annoying little kid, the dumb blond, and what cast would be complete without the headstrong member of the group? thanks writer girl! we wouldn't be complete without ya. maybe the story is interesting, but i cannot get past those characters and an anime without likable characters is no good to me.

the ova on the other hand is animated fairly nicely, the universe still suffers from "meh" powers, but at least the papermaster in this one is like.. the supreme paper master without being limited to just making paper animals or whatever. we have enough tangible villains packed into this one to keep it interesting rather than going against shadowy organizations and whathaveyous. the story gets straight to the point, it knows its an ova and doesn't waste time.

i can see how rod tv would be enjoyable if you liked the characters and slower paced anime, however i do not.

Ooh, okay then. Makes sense; thanks the explanation, haha. True point, you really do have to like the characters to enjoy the show. Probably the first time in this thread (or one of the few times) I know of that someone has given an explanation of a dissenting opinion without being a complete dick. Props. (and to be clear, no, I'm not being sarcastic.)

I can see where the characters sort of fit stereotypes, but the tall, shy girl was a new one for me though. Short/scrappy people are nothing new, but isn't that how works in real life too a lot of the time? Anita's probably one of my favorite characters just because I thought she was hilarious. (Also hilarious: the name "Nenene," especially in the Japanese version. lol.) And I thought the subject matter was fairly unique. I'm not a huge reader or anything, but the books/reading motif was interesting to me. But yeah, like you said, that's all it really comes down to: whether you find it interesting or not.

Someone started scanslating Ushio and Tora again! I hope this time the guy manages to make it to the end of the series. Currently he's been doing about a chapter a day for the past week.

while I'm here raving about how much fun it was to rewatch ROD OVA again I might as well ask you guys might know: What's up with SnoopyCool? dead or just a really long hiatus?

Has anyone seen Special A (S.A)? is it any good? Rightstuf is selling that for $20 until Monday. They are also selling season 1 of Shin-Chan for the same price(WHich I plan on getting). And I see FMP: 2nd raid is only $30 on Bluray... I kind wish I waited on that.

Not that anyone cares but Yen+ is attempting to appease the Spice and Wolf fans by offering a limited number of slipcovers if you purchase it from certain retailers. It's nice of them to do that... but this is after the Dec issue of their magazine shipped with the same cover. It just seems pretty shady to offer it for free after telling people the only way to get it is to order their magazine.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Has anyone seen Special A (S.A)? is it any good? Rightstuf is selling that for $20. THey are also selling season 1 of Shin-Chan for the same price. And I see FMP: 2nd raid is only $30 on Bluray... kind wish I waited on that.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it myself, which is probably exactly the opposite of what you want to hear, but ANN has a review of it. The ANN review says it good, and the box art of the show passes my looks-like-a-good-show-based-on-the-box-art test. I'm probably going to end up ordering it myself before the sale is over.

[quote name='Razzuel']... and the box art of the show passes my looks-like-a-good-show-based-on-the-box-art test. I'm probably going to end up ordering it myself before the sale is over.[/QUOTE]

Nobody should ever have a test like that. Ever. And stop spending money on inferior school comedies when you don't even own Azumanga Daioh yet.

Special A is passable. It has moments where it succeeds, and just as many where I thought it was uninspired drivel. It's not an enthusiastic recommendation, but you could do worse.

i dunno, the artstyle and character design of a show play a really big part for me. how they choose to display and market the show can also give you a feel of what the show is like or at least how the marketing group hopes to show you what the show is like.

if the character designs look like crap or the artstyle looks a certain way, i can be sure to avoid an anime based on that, but its more of a this show failed the boxart test than this show looks like its good because of the boxart.

so blood+ has actually gotten pretty good. it's a slow starter but now i find myself really enjoying what's going on and interested to see what's happening next. of course i don't really know anything until i've finished it as tons of anime have disappointing endings.

[quote name='spoo']I want to get my nephew some manga for xmas. What is some good for an 8-9 year old boy besides Naruto?[/QUOTE]

Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, and the Pokemon Adventure series.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Has anyone seen Special A (S.A)? is it any good? Rightstuf is selling that for $20 until Monday.[/QUOTE]

Krimson and I have watched the entire series. It has its moments of comedy, but honestly, the entire thing is geared towards girls and watching everyone hooking up with their "soul mate" (at the romantic age of 16 or younger) as the series progresses.

Even the ending had Krimson ridiculously disappointed with how over the top it was. If you would like something similar but of better quality, watch Nodame Cantible.

Aside from that, Krimson and I are looking for a new series to watch soon. We're finishing up Dragonball Z and still watching Bleach, and we'd like something around the lines of "Epic Space Odyssey", and perhaps some sort of "Action Romance" bearing in mind that we've already seen Outlaw Star, Vandread, and are partway through Gundam Wing for the ESO, and Tsubasa Chronicle for the AR.

~HotShotX

Well i just got a 3-month Crunchyroll membership because they have a $20-back black friday promotion, meaning a 3-month membership is basically free. What to watch, what to watch...

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, and the Pokemon Adventure series.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pokemon Adventure looks perfect for him!

[quote name='the_punisher']Well i just got a 3-month Crunchyroll membership because they have a $20-back black friday promotion, meaning a 3-month membership is basically free. What to watch, what to watch...[/QUOTE]

You have to watch Erin! I cannot stress this enough! Watch Erin!

bread's done
Back