Anime and Manga Thread Vol. 1: Visions of a God

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']eva wasn't good because of the whole way it ends. i'll look into the manga some point when i have a chance. as long as saikano doesn't have spotlights on stools things will probably be good.[/QUOTE]

The ending of Evangelion doesn't spoil all of the previous, awesome episodes; it's the same situation as Fullmetal Alchemist — the ending is terrible, but the show is still amazing because of all of the previous episodes.

[quote name='Razzuel']The ending of Evangelion doesn't spoil all of the previous, awesome episodes; it's the same situation as Fullmetal Alchemist — the ending is terrible, but the show is still amazing because of all of the previous episodes.[/QUOTE]

a bad ending can really sour a whole show for me.

i really didn't like eps 17-26 which is nearly a 3rd of the series.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Dragonball Kai has been licensed by Funi. Shocking, I know.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty expected, i'm more curious about how the release will be handled.

[quote name='coolsteel']Yeah pretty expected, i'm more curious about how the release will be handled.[/QUOTE]

probably new ways to mess up the release

so i finished ep 10 of saikano last night.
there was a warning after the credits.

something to the effect of:

"If you'd like a happy ending to this anime, stop watching here. Further episodes will only serve to leave you a miserable wreck of a person. You have been warned."

so i quit watching. i wasn't really sure i wanted a show to bum my wife and i out that much on a work night. i've watched shows before with BAD END and wondered why nobody every warned me. i guess now that i've been warned, i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't heed it.

[quote name='xeno']Which other series of Gundam would you recommend to someone who only watched Gundam wing.[/QUOTE]

Zeta Gundam & Gundam Seed. I would recommend the original MSG series. Although you're better off just watching the 3 movies, since they pull material from that when it's referenced.

0079Gundam since all the alternative universe tales are just rehashing it
Gundam Seed and Destiny for flashy robot battles
Gundam 00 is pretty much the the evolution of Wing , fanatical group trying to bring about change with Gundams

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so i finished ep 10 of saikano last night.
there was a warning after the credits.

something to the effect of:

"If you'd like a happy ending to this anime, stop watching here. Further episodes will only serve to leave you a miserable wreck of a person. You have been warned."

so i quit watching. i wasn't really sure i wanted a show to bum my wife and i out that much on a work night. i've watched shows before with BAD END and wondered why nobody every warned me. i guess now that i've been warned, i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't heed it.[/QUOTE]
I didn't notice the warning. I would've probably been better off if I did because I remember thinking that I wish they would've ended it a couple episode early.

I finished watching Giant Robo and the Ginrei OVAs. I wasn't captivated during the first two episodes, but that changed because Giant Robo gets better after each subsequent episode. Overall, I thought it was amazing.

Giant Robo is amazing because of its animation and story. Giant Robo was animated in the '90s over a span of six years. It's hand-drawn, and everything is drawn with great detail. It looks fantastic because of its detail and fluid animation. The story is an amalgamation of several elements — some of those elements include tragedy, sacrifice, betrayal, friendship, love, etc. It's an epic story with a brilliant ending. I don't even think that you have to like giant robots to like Giant Robo because the giant robots are only one part of whole story. If you haven't seen Giant Robo, then I highly recommend that you pick it up; it's only $15 dollars on Right Stuf.

The Ginrei OVAs were pretty good. The first two OVAs, Barefoot Ginrei and Steel-Armed Ginrei, were funny, and I enjoyed them because of their silliness. The third OVA, Blue Eyed Ginrei, was a serious side-story to the bigger Giant Robo story. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two OVAs or any of the Giant Robo episodes, but it's still all right — the last half of Blue Eyed Ginrei was more enjoyable than the first half of the episode.

xeno: You're in luck. Bandai is going to be streaming various gundam series shows for a few months.

[quote name='coolsteel']
Gundam Seed and Destiny for flashy robot battles[/QUOTE]
SEED is pretty decent up unti the halfway point
Freedom Gundam
. And just stay away from Destiny. There is nothing even halfway decent in that show.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']xeno: You're in luck. Bandai is going to be streaming various gundam series shows for a few months.

SEED is pretty decent up unti the halfway point
Freedom Gundam
. And just stay away from Destiny. There is nothing even halfway decent in that show.[/QUOTE]

Destiny was fine for maybe the first 15 episodes, then turned into a trainwreck with the main character switching. I really only throw it out there because it is a continuation of the main story.

[quote name='coolsteel']Destiny was fine for maybe the first 15 episodes, then turned into a trainwreck with the main character switching. I really only throw it out there because it is a continuation of the main story.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it did start off with a bang... but I'd still say avoid it and pretend it didn't exist. Also it was a trainwreck long before the character switch.

[quote name='xeno']Which other series of Gundam would you recommend to someone who only watched Gundam wing.[/QUOTE]
All of UC except for 0083 and the first half of ZZ. F91 if you really want to.

Stay away from all AU except for G Gundam, and only if you can not take a show seriously and just enjoy ridiculousness.

I'm surprised someone didn't already mention this: Adult Swim is going to be airing Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood at midnight every Saturday night, starting February 14th. Although, I'm not interested in watching it on Adult Swim, since I would rather watch it on Blu-ray when Funimation releases the first box set in May.

Source: ANN News Article

Oh, and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts on Macross are. I am interested in watching the original show and Macross Plus.

I finally got to watch R.O.D TV series over the weekend, and I really liked it. I felt that it was just as good as the OVA, except it had even more character development.

The only thing I didn't like is that Agent Paper is much more different in the TV series, and much more annoying than she was in the OVA. It kind of knocked the enjoyment down a bit, but not too much.

I'm definitely glad I took the time to hunt it down.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I finally got to watch R.O.D TV series over the weekend, and I really liked it. I felt that it was just as good as the OVA, except it had even more character development.

The only thing I didn't like is that Agent Paper is much more different in the TV series, and much more annoying than she was in the OVA. It kind of knocked the enjoyment down a bit, but not too much.

I'm definitely glad I took the time to hunt it down.[/QUOTE]
Really? I thought Yomiko was much cooler in the TV series. She came off as experienced and much more mature.

Katsucon is probably going to suck this year, blizzard hits over the weekend, supposed to snow again Tuesday and Wednesday so I can't imagine many people attending.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Really? I thought Yomiko was much cooler in the TV series. She came off as experienced and much more mature.[/QUOTE]

I also liked the TV Series better than the OVA.

My favorite Gundam series are 0080, 8th MS Team, and G Gundam. At the same time though, these three are probably the most different of the Gundam serieses (at least the ones that reached America).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Really? I thought Yomiko was much cooler in the TV series. She came off as experienced and much more mature.[/QUOTE]For me,
the best moment was in the last episode where Joker told her off. I thought to myself, "finally, somebody told her exactly how it is." lol.

Since I've decided to consider Saikano "done" as suggested, I think I'm gonna start Paranoia Agent. Any opinions on this one?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Since I've decided to consider Saikano "done" as suggested, I think I'm gonna start Paranoia Agent. Any opinions on this one?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have one - it's effing great.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Since I've decided to consider Saikano "done" as suggested, I think I'm gonna start Paranoia Agent. Any opinions on this one?[/QUOTE]
It's nonsense, skip it. Unless you like nonsense.

I recently finished watching the Alien Nine OVA. I also read the Alien Nine manga and its sequel, Alien Nine Emulators. I loved both the OVA and the manga; they are quite brilliant.

I think Alien Nine works better as animation instead of a manga, but that doesn't mean the manga is a worse version of Alien Nine. The OVA excels because of its story, world, and characters. The show has a cutesy outer appearance, but the show is actually dark and mature. The world is unrelenting and unsympathetic to the three main characters; outside of themselves, their only sympathizer is the viewer. I enjoyed this narrative structure, and it provided a unique experience that can only be compared to Evangelion, but that's not a sufficient distillation or comparison for Alien Nine — Alien Nine has its own unique qualities that set it apart from everything else that I have watched. Also, I thought the pacing was perfect — there was just enough insanity, relief, and surrealism spread throughout the show.

After watching the OVA, I was confused, since the OVA ends abruptly and shockingly. Immediately thereafter, I started reading the manga. The first volume matches the OVA perfectly; so not only was the OVA an entirely faithful adaption of the manga, but it masterfully animated the scenes in between the manga's frames. However, the first volume of the manga did not captivate me as much as the OVA, since I already knew the progression of events. Thankfully, the first volume covers three out of four of the OVA episodes. The second volume goes past the end of the OVA and continues the Alien Nine story. I thought the show was already strange and insane, but the manga becomes progressively more insane and more strange as you progress through the pages. Volume three provided a good stopping point in the Alien Nine story, but it was not complete. I bought the sequel, Alien Nine Emulators, with hopes that it would provide more of what makes Alien Nine so interesting and enjoyable, and it exceeded my expectations. Alien Nine Emulators provides a satisfying end to the Alien Nine story, but it also provides two side stories and an intentionally silly epilogue. It was quite satisfying.

Since the OVA and the manga are so closely bound, I recommend picking up both if anyone is interested in Alien Nine. Justin Sevakis of ANN provides an awesome review for Alien Nine in his Buried Treasure column, but I only recommend reading it after watching the show, since it contains some spoilers. I think it's best to go into Alien Nine without knowing what to expect because it makes it much more shocking, stunning, and interesting.

So I watched the last 11 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion today.
WTF was that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure it was incredible, but those last few episodes were fucking crazy.

[quote name='Azumangaman']So I watched the last 11 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion today.
WTF was that?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure it was incredible, but those last few episodes were fucking crazy.[/QUOTE]
Now go watch End of Evangelion.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']When did Dark Horse pick up the Cardcaptor Sakura manga? I just saw it listed on Rightstuf.[/QUOTE]
They picked up a lot of CLAMP manga awhile back: CCS, Chobits, Clover. They're releasing them in omnibuses.

so i'm about 6 eps in on paranoia agent. it starts off strong but it kinda lost itself a bit. i hope that they get back on track soon.

It's the Engrish dude. I guess some people are fine with it, but the dub for Beck is pretty sick--and this is coming from a guy that almost never watches dubs.

The only thing you sort of miss in the dub is the fact that they're a Japanese band and some of them are supposed to be able to speak English. Some of the parts are different because they talk in different languages sometimes (I think?). Just a little different dynamic that you kind of miss out on. I think the fact that the dub is so well done more than makes up for it though.

I prefer the english dub for Beck as well. I love both of the Ayres brothers and this show definitely surprised me with his singing. IIRC, the japanese version is "engrish" which I have a hard to listening to. I'd much rather listen to the cut version of "Ive got a Feeling" than "Ive got a Feerring" XD

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']so i'm about 6 eps in on paranoia agent. it starts off strong but it kinda lost itself a bit. i hope that they get back on track soon.[/QUOTE]

I stopped watching a few episodes in because it losses steam. I tried continues but the end result was....

[quote name='pete5883']It's nonsense, skip it. Unless you like nonsense.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back