Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Soon we all will see Dragon Ball Z Uncut or Dragon Boxes Blu-ray in 2016??
2016? Hah. I'm expecting it by the time I'm 60 and I'll be telling my grandkids that people used to buy the same series over and over. Then they will shrug and get back to their virtual reality Xbox All in One 180.

Just noticed you have Fafner up there. Easily the weakest series on the list. Good animation but the story gets pretty pessimistic. Awesome theme song though.

Haha! Those were the days. Back when people despised thinpacks and aimed to get individual DVD with the artboxes. Total opposite now. I spent so much money back in the day lol.

I say sir, I say sir! You will receive a PM from me.

You know...I never really got into Fullmetal Alchemist lol. Also, part 2 is under review.

Mine should be coming in on Tuesday. I hear it is OK...nothing stellar. You can't really blame Funi for this release though...they did a fan poll and 16:9 won lol. I doubt we will ever see the perfect DBZ bluray release anytime soon.

Yup Yup. I've been hearing that they are slightly better than the orange boxes.
=/ It's under review cause someone probably complained about 'hey, this doesn't have such-and-such'. But I'd pay attention...or get a CSR to approve the marked down price before it got hit with the Under Review prompt.

Try 30-40 per 2-4 episode VHS tape at the mall...kids today :)
You know I still feel bad for my brother paying around $20 a pop at Suncoast for DBZ on VHS. I think he had from the Ginyu to the beginning of the Incomplete Cell saga. At least they looked cool on his shelf.

You know I still feel bad for my brother paying around $20 a pop at Suncoast for DBZ on VHS. I think he had from the Ginyu to the beginning of the Incomplete Cell saga. At least they looked cool on his shelf.
Ah man. Suncoast. Totally forgot about that store. Liked going to that first one in MN but then it just closed one day haha.

I have all of DBZ Kai and it's great from a story perspective. All the BS filler is stripped out and the show flows along very nicely. My one gripe which actually irritated me greatly, was that they have different music during the fighting in the Cell saga. The very last battle with Cell had this fantastically dramatic music leading up to the end of the battle that doesn't exist in the Kai version. VERY unhappy when I watched that as I was expecting some blood pumping dramatic music and got some crap instead. Not saying you shouldn't buy Kai, but may want to see what that new blu re-master is all about. I'll probably find that one episode and leach it or something so I can have my music :p

Edit: Oh and I finished Psycho-Pass. Awesome show and apparently it's getting a season 2! Woohoo! Good rec!

Kai also has those annoying censor, which is why a lot of people don't like it.
Censor? I've been watching it, and haven't noticed anything censored..

Anyway,

Had an account here for awhile, but I could never really be bothered posting. Decided that my haul from the amazon sale would be my first post!

Trigun: Badlands Rumble [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - OVA Collection (Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack) [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Complete Collection One [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Complete Collection Two [Blu-ray]
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete First Season (Viridian Collection)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete Second Season (Viridian Collection)
Soul Eater - Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Sekirei: Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Yu Yu Hakusho: Season One [Blu-ray]
Yu Yu Hakusho: Season Two (Classic) [Blu-ray]
Yu Yu Hakusho: Season Three (Classic) [Blu-ray]
Yu Yu Hakusho: Season Four (Classic) [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season One [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z Kai - Season Two [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season Three [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Season Four [Blu-ray]
Dragon Ball Z: Movie Pack Collection One (Movies 1-5)
Dragon Ball Z: Movie Pack Collection Two (Movies 6-9)
Dragon Ball Z: Movie Pack Collection Three (Movies 10-13)

Though the second dbz movie collection has been out of stock since I ordered it, so I haven't actually gotten that yet.

google Dragon Ball Kai censored and see for yourself

from wiki "Some (but not all) of the gory moments have been edited to a degree along with nudity. In Dragon Ball Z, when Piccolo fires his Special Beam Cannon at Raditz and Goku, he creates a hole through both of them and a heavy amount of blood is shown, while in Dragon Ball Kai, no blood is seen at all, save for the holes that Piccolo creates in the centers of their bodies. More recently, in the scene where Krillin blasts a hole through Vegeta, only blood stains are seen in Kai while in Dragon Ball Z, there is blood coming out of the hole. Similarly, when Vegeta is executed by Frieza, the beam is not shown when it penetrates his chest. Nudity is notably edited as well such as in the first episode of Dragon Ball Kai, whenever Goku (as a baby) is shown, his genitals are covered up by making objects that he is sitting on appear to be covering his genitals. In a similar manner in episode 4 of Kai, Gohan's genitals are edited as well by using his tail to cover him when he is shrinking from his Great Ape state to his normal self. All these edits are made quite possibly because Japan's television broadcasting laws have become stricter since Dragon Ball Z was first aired. "

Another scene I noticed edited was Trucks cutting up Frieza.

Ah right, I probably haven't noticed because those things really take nothing away from it for me.

Just noticed you have Fafner up there. Easily the weakest series on the list. Good animation but the story gets pretty pessimistic. Awesome theme song though.
Yea, I've heard that about Fafner. Only got it to cheaply fill my mecha void since there isn't going to be any new Gundam series coming stateside anytime soon.

Kai also has those annoying censor, which is why a lot of people don't like it.
Ooooh yea, I forgot about that.

The biggest edit was probably getting rid of the strobe effect on pretty much every single ki attack. Makes power struggles kook horrible.

Great pickup on Sekirei, love that series. Also, I ordered the 90's X-Men cartoon Volume 4 from Gohastings when they had that 50% off used Christmas sale and today I received it. It was Brand New, Factory Sealed with the slipcover & a $19.99 BestBuy pricetag on it. Thank you GoHastings! :D

Forgive me for asking this but after watching the 1st episode of Attack on Titan I have got to have me this series. Now I know its not officially out yet but anyone know a good ebay seller who sells this that has good video quality? If this is against the rules to ask I am sorry.
You're really willing to pay someone to download the episodes off the piratebay and put them in a case with a cover found off google images and printed off at home? :/

THEY DID!?

EDIT: I wonder if they are still present in the DBZ bluray release...
The DBZ releases are fine, but since Kai was going to air on TV, they went in and edited it to adhere to Japan's post-Pokemon Shock guidelines. Japan actually does it to a ton of stuff airing on TV, like older anime or American movies.

Though we didn't get all the edits made for the Japanese airing. If we did, the series would have been cropped for widescreen displays.

Don't remind me. I have a box in the basement filled with DBZ video tapes. I think I have another box with Gundam tapes from countless series including 0080 and Wing. Wish I sold them all before the DVD boom kicked in. However, I still don't regret my Tenchi laserdisc purchases. I still prefer those over the DVDs.

Forgive me for asking this but after watching the 1st episode of Attack on Titan I have got to have me this series. Now I know its not officially out yet but anyone know a good ebay seller who sells this that has good video quality? If this is against the rules to ask I am sorry.
you can easily go to crunchyroll.com and watch them legit for free at 480p. if you get a subscription you can watch at 720p.

I don't feel bad for him, I never feel bad for anyone who shopped at suncoast :p

those same dbz tapes were $10 each at walmart on release day, as I bought those tapes myself as they released lol.

You're really willing to pay someone to download the episodes off the piratebay and put them in a case with a cover found off google images and printed off at home? :/
Funi said they plan to release it on blu-ray in 2014, hopefully early 2014.

So I saw this for $40 the other day...Is it a good series? I know I can resell it for close to $80, but I was curious if it is worth watching.

http://www.amazon.com/Fancy-Lala-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B0002YLDNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388450079&sr=8-1&keywords=fancy+lala
i bought fancy lala for $10 a few years back and recently got around to watching it. I felt like I did ok with my buy price, but i would seriously have a hard time recommending it for $40 let alone the resell price. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that good either... felt like an inferior version of Full Moon Wo Sagashite (though Fancy Lala came first :p, I watched Full Moon First though)

Now if you have seen full moon and desperately want something like it to watch then I could likely recommend it.. but if you haven't seen either just watch full moon instead (which sadly will never get a full proper release in NA :( )

on a side note, if you are curious what my general views of shows are (aka a reference point on how our tastes would line up) here is a link to my MAL, which is mostly accurate (though I need to go back and rewatch some shows)

I believe this is what I paid last Christmas from the Righstuf sale.
The cheapest it has been was two Christmases ago when they had the Spirit Gun bundle on Rightstuf for $65 for Season 1-4, which was comparable to the prices Amazon had per set (although during that sale only S1 and S2 were released), so that was the cheapest it's been since last year during Rightstuf's sale when each of the blu sets were actually more expensive and was $19.xx, which was about the same Amazon had it for their Funi sale, which subsequently also went up in price, so you must have been thinking about a couple years back, but even then it was still $16.xx per set if you got the bundle, and not $15 each.

That is the longest mal I've ever seen. I'm impressed, albeit a bit scared. 122 watching? Damn.
Some of those should likely be On hold at this point lol

though looking at it real quick I am also missing like 10 shows I actually am watching... so yeah >.>;

I watch a lot of anime (it helps that my wife also watches it and has nearly the same tastes as I do), which is why I am trying to hang out in here a bit more to discuss anime with people (as well as watch for deals)

I just figured it would be good to throw the MAL out there so people can have an idea if my tastes match up with theirs. I mean it's always best to know if the person giving you their thoughts would feel the same about a show.

Yeah. I figured I was up there when I had around 30 on my watching list.

I watch a lot too but mine pales in comparison. Granted I've only been watching anime for about a year. I only have 90ish completed so far.

The cheapest it has been was two Christmases ago when they had the Spirit Gun bundle on Rightstuf for $65 for Season 1-4, which was comparable to the prices Amazon had per set (although during that sale only S1 and S2 were released), so that was the cheapest it's been since last year during Rightstuf's sale when each of the blu sets were actually more expensive and was $19.xx, which was about the same Amazon had it for their Funi sale, which subsequently also went up in price, so you must have been thinking about a couple years back, but even then it was still $16.xx per set if you got the bundle, and not $15 each.
Yup, that's what I got. I guess it was 2 years ago then.

And fucking hell! I'm sorry it was $16 instead of $15 per. Who the fuck cares! The fact you remembered all that and was able to regurgitate it as you did is either impressive or sad. I can't decide.

Yup, that's what I got. I guess it was 2 years ago then.

And fucking hell! I'm sorry it was $16 instead of $15 per. Who the fuck cares! The fact you remembered all that and was able to regurgitate it as you did is either impressive or sad. I can't decide.
Every dollar counts. What kind of a CAG are you?!

And whether it's impressive or sad, well, I haven't decided quite yet either. ;D

Strongly considering from Amazon:

High School DxD: The Series $25.49

Eden of the East: The Complete Series: $16.99

FLCL: The Complete Series: $17.49

Anyone know how much any of these ran before the Funimation sale? What kind of prices am I looking at once 2014 hits?

I haven't really bought anime before. I used fansubs before and through college. Lately I've been using Hulu Plus, but the ads on a paid membership are driving me nuts! I'd like to support the things I like, but I'm still a CAG.  O:)

Anyone know how much any of these ran before the Funimation sale? What kind of prices am I looking at once 2014 hits?
Dont have answers for you, but if you go to camelcamelcamel and type in the product it will show you what prices the item has been in the past (for Amazon, anyway)

They tend to fluctuate from year to year, in fact FLCL was more expensive during last year's sale by about $0.50, so I wouldn't gauge it like that, but before the sale,

High School DXD $30-$35

Eden of the East $21-23

FLCL $20-$22

I haven't really bought anime before. I used fansubs before and through college. Lately I've been using Hulu Plus, but the ads on a paid membership are driving me nuts! I'd like to support the things I like, but I'm still a CAG. O:)
Yea, I'm about to cancel Hulu Plus again. It's tolerable that they have ads, even though they charge as much as Netflix and have less content. But when it gets stuck after playing an ad, forcing you to refresh and rewatch ads, three times in a row, regularly, fuck that.

FMA Brotherhood Part 2 is back up on Amazon and the same price as Part 1~ Spent so much this sale :<

High School DxD is as cheap as its been, as it's a relatively new release. Can't guarentee there won't be a re-release next year.

Eden of the East only gets cheaper if you get it Used and use sales.

FLCL is more or less about as cheap as it regularly gets.

I have all of DBZ Kai and it's great from a story perspective. All the BS filler is stripped out and the show flows along very nicely. My one gripe which actually irritated me greatly, was that they have different music during the fighting in the Cell saga. The very last battle with Cell had this fantastically dramatic music leading up to the end of the battle that doesn't exist in the Kai version. VERY unhappy when I watched that as I was expecting some blood pumping dramatic music and got some crap instead.
Basically all of the music was different (and not for the better). Not sure if you're referring to this, but you made me think of what is probably my favorite scene in the entire anime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx2vMyVkmLE

Technically it's just a different arrangement. The music itself is the same stuff from the original series (except for the instrumental versions of the opening and ending songs).

Dagnammit! I finally caved and picked up Steins; Gate and Fairy Tail sets one and two from Amazon. I already hit my anime allocation for the month too. :/

Between these, the Dirty Pair TV series, YUA season 2 and Gunsmith Cats I should be set for a while.

But I want to pick up a few more. >_

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood collections worth $27 a pop? I have been out of the Anime game for years but absolutely loved FMA, own the full set on DVD.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood collections worth $27 a pop? I have been out of the Anime game for years but absolutely loved FMA, own the full set on DVD.
its only been cheaper once and it was through amazon when they were being sold for $20 I think but for $27 thats still a deal for an amazing anime that has it all.

its only been cheaper once and it was through amazon when they were being sold for $20 I think but for $27 thats still a deal for an amazing anime that has it all.
Thanks for the input, i pulled the trigger. I absolutely love the original FMA and from what i hear this follows the Manga more closely than the original so i am super hyped for it.

Trying to get back into anime but it's so damn expensive. I was looking into buying some Bleach dvds to see what that's all about but forget those prices. Same with Shippuden. It would cost me like $1000 combined to get all that stuff. Is there a reason why they don't make bigger box sets for those shows?

bread's done
Back