Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but FYE is doing a buy 1 get one for $1 on all USED DVDs, Blurays, and CDs. Just picked up the complete Iria: Zeiram the Animation on DVD (the tin case edition) for $15 and decided to give Linebarrels of Iron complete series a try for $1.

Also, the S.A.V.E. sets are on major discount. These are all new, not used. Birdy The Mighty: Decode usually runs for $30 at FYE, but it was 50% off. So I snagged that.
I posted about the Used sale in the FYE/Secondspin thread. The 50% off S.A.V.E. sets also happens with decent regularity.

How are DVDPlanet and Rightstuf? I am just getting into purchasing anime (normally just use crunchyroll) and am looking into options besides amazon~ lol

RightStuf is the leader in anime purchasing (well, right after Amazon) for a reason. Their normal sales are better for manga and other stuff since they rarely go above 40% off.

DVD Planet ships out pretty fast, but they tend to use really big boxes for their orders. Both are good sites to buy from.

Is the got anime sub worth it? I am not sure how much I would buy outside of sales.
it depends how much you are buying. It only takes a few minutes for a sub to go active, so for me if I want the extra discount I just wait for an order big enough that it will cover most of the sub cost anyways.

Falls far short of the original series, I would stream in first to see if you like it before you buy this one. It had so much potential and built up so much just to have a crap ending.
well anything Eureka 7 is just flat out terrible so its amazing to me its sequel could be even worse lol.

it depends how much you are buying. It only takes a few minutes for a sub to go active, so for me if I want the extra discount I just wait for an order big enough that it will cover most of the sub cost anyways.
Are the Got Anime? discounts only applicable to full-price products? I just looked at about ten different items (all priced at $35+ but are discounted from full price) and none of them were eligible. They all said "Excluded from membership discounts". If it's only applicable to full-price products then I'll definitely pass on this and just wait for their big sales.

Maybe it's a good deal for people who don't like waiting for sales or I'm missing a major detail about the membership perks.

I went ahead and paid for the Got Anime subscription when I placed my order for Pet Girl Sakurasou and whatever else I ordered from that little Sentai sale. That was one of the only sales that I noticed it applied for.

The discount also applies to anything in the daily deals section, from what I have seen at least. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you purchase a lot of anime throughout the year. I just bought it because the savings I received from that one order practically totaled to the cost of the membership.

Are the Got Anime? discounts only applicable to full-price products? I just looked at about ten different items (all priced at $35+ but are discounted from full price) and none of them were eligible. They all said "Excluded from membership discounts". If it's only applicable to full-price products then I'll definitely pass on this and just wait for their big sales.

Maybe it's a good deal for people who don't like waiting for sales or I'm missing a major detail about the membership perks.
The membership discount applies to their weekly studio sales as well.

This generally works on preorders as well as current releases, so things that don't qualify now will qualify during their studio sale. It definitely rewards people for checking their site regularly on the days when two sales are active at once. The discount is mostly useful to anyone that buys manga on a regular basis, or that preorders anime instead of waiting for it to reach clearance prices.

I've been a member ever since Borders went out of business.

in the past the got anime membership worked on most of the sales that were 40% off X company... but i haven't been a member for a few years so that may have changed ^^;

I like Second Spin a lot, but you really have to know what you're looking for before you shop there.  Its site is terrible for browsing, especially if you're looking for something that would best fall under a category they don't have.  I've seen different volumes of the same anime series labelled either as Comedy, Drama, or Science Fiction.  (look up Shana on blu for an example)

I know they're limited to what the person taking them in has classified the item as, but it's very easy to shop at their online store and have no clue whether or not they have something you'd like to buy.

I did find the Tudors Complete for $33 Used...but the condition is subject to scrutiny. Amazon had it for the $40-50 range earlier last month.

Yea, I'm about to cancel Hulu Plus again. It's tolerable that they have ads, even though they charge as much as Netflix and have less content. But when it gets stuck after playing an ad, forcing you to refresh and rewatch ads, three times in a row, regularly, fuck that.
You honestly can't compare Hulu with Netflix, mostly anyway. You could always pay for cable instead. When I had cable for 6 months or so I had Funimation HD. It's how I got introduced to some of my all time favorite anime.

Hulu offers new television content for the most part the next day. Netflix won't get that same content for many months if at all.

Also, the anime selection at Hulu is immense compared to what Netflix has to offer. I wish Hulu had more dubs though because that's what I watch. I watch all my anime as I go to sleep at night on my iPad and I'm not in the mood to sit there reading subtitles laying on my side.

I'm tempted to start a Funimation subscription to see how that is. The only Hulu shows I watch I think are the Daily Show and Colbert Report while I eat dinner.

I'm tempted to start a Funimation subscription to see how that is. The only Hulu shows I watch I think are the Daily Show and Colbert Report while I eat dinner.
there is a free trail to the funimation sub so you could try it that way. I picked it up during cyber monday because it was on sale (I actually accidentally bought a second year but that's a different story :p)

The cool part is that they have a decent number of dvd extras/behind the scenes things in their service, and they get some stuff up before their retail release (in general it seems you will get 1-4 episodes around a month before retail release, and the rest of the release about a week before the retail release. I haven't followed it that closely but a good number of their new releases seem to be scheduled to be added)

The minus side is unlike something like crunchyroll it doesn't keep track of where you are in an ep or what you watched, at this time you can't easily see how much time is left on your sub, and hitting play next episode plays the next episode in your current window, meaning if you refresh you will go back in episodes, and after 1-2 eps it will be unable to move onto the next episode and you have to go find the eps again. It's also a bummer that you can't put subtitles on the dub at all (how I actually watch most of my dubbed anime)

but yeah content wise it's decent. Funimation brings over a lot of stuff, so a service that just offers their stuff can still be worth it. I find it more enjoyable than neon alley at this time, but both of those are pretty young still.

Thank you, refluxx, roger watersmelon, and zulux21 for clearing up my misunderstanding about the Got Anime? membership. I'll definitely keep an eye on my future purchases and see if the Got Anime? membership will help me save a few bucks.

Speaking of which, my order from the RightStuf holiday sale is finally starting to trickle in. Very exciting! One more package to go. : )

Hmm... 

I ordered Highschool of the Dead Blu + Drifters of the Dead Blu the day before Xmas from Rightstuf. I got a shipment confirmation on the 27th. I clicked the tracking link and it said USPS accepted the shipment on the 26th with a delivery estimate of January 2nd.

January 5th now, still no update what so ever. The tracking still just shows it was accepted on the 26th and no other update after that.

Kinda concerned now. Hoping its just delayed because of all the snow the last few days in the North East and not because it got lost or something.

Hmm...

I ordered Highschool of the Dead Blu + Drifters of the Dead Blu the day before Xmas from Rightstuf. I got a shipment confirmation on the 27th. I clicked the tracking link and it said USPS accepted the shipment on the 26th with a delivery estimate of January 2nd.

January 5th now, still no update what so ever. The tracking still just shows it was accepted on the 26th and no other update after that.

Kinda concerned now. Hoping its just delayed because of all the snow the last few days in the North East and not because it got lost or something.
I would just give it some time, usps has been terrible lately because of the holidays. I had a bunch of packages at my work and textbooks from amazon all have horrible tracking/taking forever recently.

Hmm...

The items being lost and you being fully refunded is definitely not the worst thing that could happen when it comes to Highschool of the Dead.

Hmm...

I would wait about 3-4 more days as there are always or sometimes unexpected delays.

Hmm...

I'm in the same boat. Same dates too. Only I'm waiting on Toradora. Guess I'll wait a little longer before emailing them.

Anyone seen a copy of Dragonball Z vizbig edition volume 9 for a reasonable price? Seems the scalpers are out and its only been out of print for a month.

GoHastings is offering 50% off Used with the code RINGITIN. Might expire tonight, not sure.

Anyway, most of their anime selection is DVDs, but some good deals. If you don't know what to get, try searching for " Complete Collection" or "Complete Series."

GoHastings is offering 50% off Used with the code RINGITIN. Might expire tonight, not sure.

Anyway, most of their anime selection is DVDs, but some good deals. If you don't know what to get, try searching for " Complete Collection" or "Complete Series."
So far everything I m seeing is out of stock. No point in looking at that ditr anymore. Unless im missing some good ones let me know plz

Thanks, I decided to take a 2nd look and found some stuff!

-Noir: Complete Collection for $8.41 shipped

-Iron Man: The Complete Animated Series for $2.64 shipped (this was the Marvel Anime that aired on G4, X-men was out of stock dangit)

-and sure why not The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3: The Complete Series for $6.02 shipped

So far everything I m seeing is out of stock. No point in looking at that ditr anymore. Unless im missing some good ones let me know plz
I probably took most of the stuff. Spent about $500, mostly on anime (as to which ones, you can see that on my Spending Tab). I saw a lot of Anime Classics, ADV Thinpaks, and S.A.V.E. sets still around. Also, about 50 different boxsets of Love Hina.

Well, I didn't find any anime series I wanted, but I was able to get the Chuck Complete Series (DVD) for ~$61 after shipping+code. Hopefully the discs will be in great condition. :pray:

Thanks Nage, have ordered from anime corner and ill check if they have it in stock. The new 3 in 1 Dragon Ball is all in black and white and still edited. Unless there is another project I don't know about.

Thanks Nage, have ordered from anime corner and ill check if they have it in stock. The new 3 in 1 Dragon Ball is all in black and white and still edited. Unless there is another project I don't know about.
he was talking about this

Viz Media will release Dragon Ball Full Color Edition on February 4, 2014 for US$19.99. The volume will be a larger size than regular manga, and will be about the same size as an American graphic novel. The manga is currently running in Viz Media's digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-07/viz-media-adds-deadman-wonderland-gangsta-manga

Thanks for the link, I didn't know Viz picked up the rights to Deadman Wonderland. I'm very excited about getting a second chancd to pick the books up. Dumb luck caused me to miss them from Tokyopop the first time when Borders closed up shop.

I'm in the same boat. Same dates too. Only I'm waiting on Toradora. Guess I'll wait a little longer before emailing them.
Right Stuf just posted a comment about this on Facebook. They contacted USPS and apparently USPS has a huge backlog of packages they're trying to process & ship. Some of the tracking numbers say that they've been accepted at the local PO, while others have nothing besides that the electronic info was received. If you ordered through their cheapest shipping, you probably shouldn't expect it for the next week or two(since they use Media Mail for that).

Link to the post:

https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/posts/10151999153852745

Right Stuf just posted a comment about this on Facebook. They contacted USPS and apparently USPS has a huge backlog of packages they're trying to process & ship. Some of the tracking numbers say that they've been accepted at the local PO, while others have nothing besides that the electronic info was received.
Oh thank goodness. I was actually starting to get worried. The USPS tracking told me that my package was supposed to have arrived a week ago. But it never showed up, and I was starting to get seriously concerned that my shipment had been misplaced, or that someone had stolen it from my doorstep. While annoying that the shipping is slow, I would rather it arrive a bit later than have to be concerned about it getting lost or stolen.

It doesn't surprise me that USPS might be having to deal with more volume than usual. The more people I talk to, the more it seems were quite willing to give physical stores a pass over the holiday season in favor of Amazon and other on-line retailers. I know I did most of my Christmas shopping on-line this year, and was quite happy with the results. If this trend continues, I might have to sign up for Amazon Prime.

Right Stuf just posted a comment about this on Facebook. They contacted USPS and apparently USPS has a huge backlog of packages they're trying to process & ship. Some of the tracking numbers say that they've been accepted at the local PO, while others have nothing besides that the electronic info was received. If you ordered through their cheapest shipping, you probably shouldn't expect it for the next week or two(since they use Media Mail for that).

Link to the post:

https://www.facebook.com/rightstuf/posts/10151999153852745
Thanks for posting this. Glad they are keeping us up to speed.

My backordered Mushi-shi set from Rightstuf just arrived which completes my order. As a bonus, they added more Rightstuf post-it pads to my "collection".

Now if Funimation releases Battle of the Gods and the DBZ Kai version of Buu, I'll be set for 2014.

bread's done
Back