Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazed me how there are anime fans who have never bought stuff from RightStuf ever. It just boggles my mind.

Then again, I remember when RightStuf's studio sales were the greatest thing ever. God, I feel old.

The price on the CE of Attack on Titan is gonna drive a lot of people away, especially since it's only available at the Funi store. I will admit it's the first new anime I've watched in a long time and I enjoyed it, but I can't see myself going back and watching it again like some other shows. Maybe it's just me, but I could care less about any of the characters. They all seemed ind of bland.

It amazed me how there are anime fans who have never bought stuff from RightStuf ever. It just boggles my mind.

Then again, I remember when RightStuf's studio sales were the greatest thing ever. God, I feel old.
Not sure for others but I pirated most things or used random streaming sites and never kept up-to-date with current anime. Since I purchased my first anime series through an amazon sale and bought a Crunchyroll sub a year ago, I have found myself spending more on anime then video games.

In my opinion, Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the few anime out there where the anime adaptation is vastly superior to the source material in the manga. Heck, even the ending is much better done in the anime than manga. I have the DVDs and have considered multiple times to upgrade to the Blu, but just never really was able to pull on the trigger. Despite the amazing transfer, I just can't justify spending another $100 for the entire season of which I already have.
what I am getting from you is you can't justify spending 100 dollars again on yourself but you can justify spending it on me.

what I am getting from you is you can't justify spending 100 dollars again on yourself but you can justify spending it on me.
No, I still plan on buying the whole series, so yes, I can justify buying the series again, I just didn't buy the whole thing at once. I plan on getting the last three, but just split up buying them over a few months.

Or wait for a sale where its $14.99 or $19.99 on Amazon or Rightstuf. Whenever that will happen. :lol: Since Funimation likes to put mostly One Piece and Dragonball stuff on sale.

I've been ordering from Rightstuf for years. Nowadays I only order once a year during the Christmas sale, but I still smile when a Rightstuf catalog appears in the mail throughout the year.

I always look forward to getting a package from Rightstuf since they add bonus stuff (from ads to one year where I received an Appleseed film cell). I get those blind box DVD's for the same reason. It's become the only place where I buy anime.

If Funimation decided to finish DBZ Kai and these recent season set Blu Rays, Rightstuf is going to love me when I buy it all in one shot.

I pay for Amazon Prime. So, even if the anime is a few bucks more, I just buy it from Amazon.

Also, just so we can clear things up, Amazon Prime shipping isn't free people, you pay an annual fee (unless you are on the trial or bum it off a buddy). I gladly, happily, pay the fee and have been since the day Prime was announced. It kind of erks me the wrong way when people say if you have Prime shipping is free.

If anybody has extra Disney Movie Rewards they have to burn, and don't own Ponyo yet, it's been added as a reward for 850 points (was 800 points, but jacked up).

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/rewards/ponyo-101856

Great to finally see a Studio Ghibli title in the rewards catalog, and here's hoping to the other titles added too as I have plenty of points to burn on them, and hopefully they're all low point cost like Ponyo is. ^___^

Sometimes I miss the days when anime shops were Best Buy, FYE/Suncoast, RightStuf, and everything else. When RightStuf's studio sales were the bee's knees and were the lowest any anime title went. Before Amazon Prime, before Aniplex USA, before season sets. Back when $15 for a 3-episode DVD was considered a decent deal. Why, back in my day, we didn't get any fancy pants extras and long series would go 12+ volumes. Also, anything under $100 for a complete boxset was considered a steal.

Also, DVD Planet put their anime sale on their Sales page.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-12/nis-america-offers-toradora-blu-rays-with-english-dub

Looks like Nis America is bringing Toradora on BluRay! Ecstatic right now. WIll look good next to the DVD sets!

And this will actually feature a dub! NIS's first I think? And ships out on July 1st

Cast list is - 

Cassandra Lee Morris as Taiga Aisaka 

Erik Scott Kimerer as Ryuji Takasu
Christine Marie Cabanos as Minori Kushieda
Johnny Yong Bosch as Yusaku Kitamura 
Erika Harlacher as Ami Kawashima

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-12/nis-america-offers-toradora-blu-rays-with-english-dub

Looks like Nis America is bringing Toradora on BluRay! Ecstatic right now. WIll look good next to the DVD sets!

And this will actually feature a dub! NIS's first I think? And ships out on July 1st

Cast list is -

Cassandra Lee Morris as Taiga Aisaka

Erik Scott Kimerer as Ryuji Takasu
Christine Marie Cabanos as Minori Kushieda
Johnny Yong Bosch as Yusaku Kitamura
Erika Harlacher as Ami Kawashima
yeah it's a first nis dub... I should know because I like supporting nis but I don't like buying subtitle only releases so I just have to sigh and watch as they get stuff I want but can't justify buying.

that being said I almost bit on toradora on their last sale... so glad I didn't, I will be getting the new version for sure though.

Holy... yeah, that is a first. And I was thinking about this anime more today because of someone's sig but was sad since there wasn't an HD release for it. Maybe NIS read my mind. :D I'll likely go for the standard sets that are 60 retail. Hopefully Right Stuf puts it in the $30-40 price range. The cheaper the better.

Just to touch on the Right Stuf thing, I'm 25 and I often watched my brother's anime VHS then later DVDs that he got from RS/Suncoast until I was 18 (and then I bought my own stuff) .I think I remember asking him why he only bought anime's about a guy who lives with a bunch of girls. It's probably why I hate harems so much today.

As for anime at retail... ugh. It's never been good. I think it was only good when Best Buy had a half off anime clearance which is what kickstarted my anime collection. Amazon was good for a few years then their new releases became retail prices which lead me back to RS for new releases and then Amazon when they had sales for older animes.

:lol: Johnny Yong Bosch is one of the cast. Wooot. Well, I'll look at the dub with skepticism until I see the first episode. Hopefully its good. Or at the least, okay. 

Cast list is -

Ha, I knew there was a reason I didn't own this yet! :whee:

Dang been playing Dark Souls II all day and log onto all this sexy Toradora news. Day 1 purchase for me :D Hopefully Rightstuf adds it soon. 

DeepDiscount is offering a 1 Day Code for an extra 15% off your entire order.

Limited one per customer.

Code: SHAMROCK

Will work great with the current anime sale. ^__^

Ooo thanks!

I am thinking of getting:

• INU X BOKU SS blu
  • GODANNAR
  • RAHXEPHON (might pass, maybe it will make it over here on bluray?)
  • GTO: GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA
  • XAM'D: LOST MEMORIES blu (how is this series?)
Any other recommendations?

Ooo thanks!

I am thinking of getting:

• INU X BOKU SS blu
  • GODANNAR
  • RAHXEPHON (might pass, maybe it will make it over here on bluray?)
  • GTO: GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA
  • XAM'D: LOST MEMORIES blu (how is this series?)
Any other recommendations?
Props on GTO!

Don't know for sure if you'd like them, but two pretty good ones are Ghost Hound and Kids on the Slope

Err....forgive me for being oblivious, but I don't understand how you got that from what I said....or what you even mean here. Unless you're selling the blu rays...?

Is there any chance the Premium Edition for that Toradora BR+DVD combo will be cheaper on RightStuf? Do they ever have one of their sales for NISA stuff?

Ended up pre-ordering Toradora LE from RS. I sure do miss not having tax everywhere (from CA). Also Thanks for the Ponyo link :p I bought a few things from the Costco sale awhile back and never did use the reward codes. 

Is there any chance the Premium Edition for that Toradora BR+DVD combo will be cheaper on RightStuf? Do they ever have one of their sales for NISA stuff?
They never have NISA sales. Only time some of their stuff goes on sale is during the 12 days of sale and I don't see this set being part of the sale.

Cast list is -

I wanted to watch Toradora for a long time, and when I saw it in the Righstuf sell I bit on it......kinda wish that I hadn't, but oh well. May double dip and sell the DVDs since I liked it so much.

EDIT: Holy fuck I just saw how much they cost! Might be a bit too expensive more my tastes.

Hmm... I wish the sets were coming out a little sooner. Oh well. $43 isn't shabby for one set, and this will probably be my first NIS anime.

Well, I preordered it at RS, now I've got awhile to think about it. I don't know if I want to try and sell my premium edition dvds or not. I assume the hardcover book will just be the two books put together, so other than collectibility there's not much going on here.

As for $100 being too high for the new set, I think I paid $90 direct from NIS when they came out.

Well, I preordered it at RS, now I've got awhile to think about it. I don't know if I want to try and sell my premium edition dvds or not. I assume the hardcover book will just be the two books put together, so other than collectibility there's not much going on here.

As for $100 being too high for the new set, I think I paid $90 direct from NIS when they came out.
I say keep them since it's Toradora.

Nothing wrong with doubling up! :D

Why, back in my day, we didn't get any fancy pants extras and long series would go 12+ volumes. Also, anything under $100 for a complete boxset was considered a steal.
I remember those days as well. I remember driving almost half an hour out of my way just to go to Fry's Electronics, so that I could pay $25 a pop for volumes of Ruroni Kenshin. Volumes that never had more than five episodes on them. (and usually only three or four) The first large anime set I ever got was Slayers, season 1. I spent around $110 for it.

While I can feel slightly nostalgic for those days, just for the sake of nostalgia, I don't really think that I miss them. I prefer to use my memories of those days to remind myself of just how good we have it now. For $30-$40 I can usually get a 26+ series in its entirety on Blu-Ray and DVD. When I contrast that with the past I feel very fortunate. My biggest challenge at the moment is being spoiled for choice. I'm having to pick and choose what I acquire and watch, because my time has become more limited than my budget. It's a good problem to have.

So yeah, I can't bring myself to miss the good-ol-days.

Oh I would love that Toradora premium even though I just got the DVD sets in the holiday sale.  There's too much else I want to get in the coming months, but one day maybe.... one day...

[quote name="kayne2000" post="11597881" timestamp="1394479864"]I will say GT did one thing incrediably well.... and that is undeniably the last story arc and the ending.....DBZ had a terrible ending up there with some of the worst.....GT however sends the show off on a great high note and a great finish. so that I have to love GT.

Yu YU hackasho is a show I really should get someday. I loved it back in the day and I always wanted to see it's finish[/quote]

I hate GT's ending actually. The whole Goku flying away on the dragon to leave forever in some nebulous, unexplained situation is retarded. Him then being there--un-aged so he's immortal or something now--at the end made it all the worse. Z's ending left it open for the world to continue. After all the years that pass from the beginning of DB to the end of Z, it felt reasonable for the ending to be open. After all, time would continue and there would be new things happening. GT completely destroys that, though.

Cast list is -

This would give me a boner except I'm sure the price is way way out of my range.

You sir are my hero. Got the collection 2 of Fate/Stay night blu ray to complement my $12 collection 1. $40 all in for the whole thing. That feels good for a non-Funimation release of 26 episodes on blu :)

Sometimes I miss the days when anime shops were Best Buy, FYE/Suncoast, RightStuf, and everything else. When RightStuf's studio sales were the bee's knees and were the lowest any anime title went. Before Amazon Prime, before Aniplex USA, before season sets. Back when $15 for a 3-episode DVD was considered a decent deal. Why, back in my day, we didn't get any fancy pants extras and long series would go 12+ volumes. Also, anything under $100 for a complete boxset was considered a steal.

Also, DVD Planet put their anime sale on their Sales page.
I use to love going to Suncoast. Not only did they have hard to find anime DVD's, but they also had posters, shirts, and the occasional food tie-ins. I use to get DBZ Spirit Bombs (gumballs) and a DBZ candy bar that was basically a Nestle Crunch.

I was working at Target in electronics and noticed someone stole a disc from the Dragonball Z movie, Bojack Unbound. Here's the thing: It was the edited version. Even says so on the cover.

Best Buy makes me sad when it comes to anime. The last time I bought any from them was for ... you guessed it, DBZ: Ultimate Uncut Special Edition.

Why is no one addressing the fact that this makes the Toradora! Premium Edition $80.98 with free shipping?! :whee:
It's literally been like 10 years since I ordered from Robert's. Wow.

Edit: I guess the code works on the preorder, not just "in stock" items?

Why is no one addressing the fact that this makes the Toradora! Premium Edition $80.98 with free shipping?! :whee:
Was gonna post that it wouldn't work since the details state 'in-stock' items only, but just tried it and got an order in. I'd be really happy if this ships

bread's done
Back