Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget how it's not even a complete story, and just an advertisement for the manga (I hate anime like that, though I did still enjoy watching it)
I despise when Japan uses anime to advertise the manga. That's probably how the system works over there, but it doesn't work like that here. It just leaves us hanging in the wind :( I enjoyed that show though, so maybe if folks buy they'll consider putting out more. Who knows. They are whack over there.

I despise when Japan uses anime to advertise the manga. That's probably how the system works over there, but it doesn't work like that here. It just leaves us hanging in the wind :( I enjoyed that show though, so maybe if folks buy they'll consider putting out more. Who knows. They are whack over there.
Eh, the alternative is the anime makes up an ending, and that rarely ends well either.

I know the creator hated it, but I liked the point at which Fruits Basket's anime ended.  Another example of an anime advertising a manga that pissed me off is Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok

Eh, the alternative is the anime makes up an ending, and that rarely ends well either.
eh not always. as someone that rarely reads the manga, if ever. animes can often have good endings, but i do agree plenty of times an anime has terrible cliff hangers.

and like the other guy said, i enjoyed where fruits basket ended. funny side note....my friend got me that as a gag birthday gift, because we both were expecting a sappy rom-com slice of anime....so we sat down fully expecting to embrace some horrible crappy gag gift and to laugh at it....and ended up loving the damn show and being shocked by what it was actually about.

I've got 6 anime SAVE sets. 3 on DVD, 3 on Blu Ray. I love them, and had no idea the covers were even reversible until this thread. O_O

Here's to buying many more!

Sorry for being late on this but i bought the Code Geass LE set from rightstuf.com 3 months ago.How do i go about getting replacement disks do i go with funi or contact rightstuf?

Pretty much. So many series I want that Aniplex has here are way cheaper elsewhere. Really glad I didn't grab Gurren during the Righstuf sale.
Just because the 5x Gurren Lagaan volumes used to cost $50 apiece doesn't mean they were a deal $35 each. Glad I'm not a sucker. That's still $175 for the whole series, and with inferior paper box packaging. I hope AoA never wins the bidding for distribution rights for a single other series I like.

It just takes a little bit of patience and then these great series get released in UK, EU, or AU. I've been loving these chipboard sets that Anime Limited has been putting out for the UK. Big props to them. I bought the first Gundam box and am now eyeing up the following ones for Zeta and Recongustica in G. The Outlaw Star set is awesome too.

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/outlaw-star-collectors-edition/11349225.html

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/gundam-reconguista-in-g-complete-box-set/11159475.html

I don't know of a good valued region free player however. I see a couple easy ones on Amazon for $150-170. But the first Sony one that pops up is just a simple $50 box that has been modded and disguised as a new product, then repackaged and sold for $150. It would be nice to get a good set that you know you can count on. Me, I'm currently just using an EU purchased PS4 to play Region B blus for now. But it would be nice to hear about some good units. The only ones I've seen people mention are these Oppo's which seem to cost $400-600 so no thanks. I don't see the point, I must be missing something.

The Monogatari series is another thing I'd be interested in buying.

I agree though, $400-$600 isn't worth it to me. $200 or less has me interested. I'd love if there was one with apps that also had Crunchyroll so I could make it my main device for watching everything, but I don't know if that's a thing that exists.

Sorry for being late on this but i bought the Code Geass LE set from rightstuf.com 3 months ago.How do i go about getting replacement disks do i go with funi or contact rightstuf?

Funi. I recommend waiting a bit until they stop sending out the wrong replacements though.

Incase this helps anyone, here's the numbers for the old BD discs compared to the new ones:

Old: FN-07350
#1 DV-07350E - 2061521
#2 DV-07350F - 2061522
#3 DV-07350G - 2061523
#4 DV-07350H - 2061524

New: FN-07354
#1 DV-07354A - 2061529
#2 DV-07354B - 2061530
#3 DV-07354C - 2061531
#4 DV-07354D - 2061532

I received my replacement discs two days ago, sat down today to confirm the serial numbers and they are corrected. Others are not so lucky having the 2 DVD included but check these serials if you received the Blu-ray discs and if they match you are good to go!

Incase this helps anyone, here's the numbers for the old BD discs compared to the new ones:

Old: FN-07350
#1 DV-07350E - 2061521
#2 DV-07350F - 2061522
#3 DV-07350G - 2061523
#4 DV-07350H - 2061524

New: FN-07354
#1 DV-07354A - 2061529
#2 DV-07354B - 2061530
#3 DV-07354C - 2061531
#4 DV-07354D - 2061532

I received my replacement discs two days ago, sat down today to confirm the serial numbers and they are corrected. Others are not so lucky having the 2 DVD included but check these serials if you received the Blu-ray discs and if they match you are good to go!
Thanks for this. Turns out I have the old ones. Just sent them an email

it's this right?

[email protected]

Can anyone recommend a region free bluray player? With this coming out, I think it's time I get one. http://us.zavvi.com/blu-ray/gurren-lagann-tv-series-and-movie-collection/11389117.html
if you are only planning on importing from the uk you could just order a uk blu ray player.

I hope AoA never wins the bidding for distribution rights for a single other series I like.
I have good news and bad news for you.

the good news is that you don't have to worry about AoA ever winning the bidding for distribution rights for a single other series you like.

the bad news, they have never won a single bidding for distribution rights for a single series you have ever liked.

AoA doesn't bid on series, they merely grab the rights for any series their japanese branch makes. So no bidding. If you see on Mal or your other favorite site that aniplex is making it, then AoA most likely has the rights, if they don't it's not because they didn't win the bidding rights, but because they didn't view it worth releasing.

so stuff from this season that AoA will likely have

scum's wish

Demi-chan wa Kataritai

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen

I mean you could hope that a manga/light novel you like isn't picked up by aniplex, but well, the simple fact is that they make a number of high quality series, so if it isn't picked up by them it's quite possible that it wouldn't get picked up by someone else or would be made as a far inferior series *shrugs*

personally I just treat anything that is released by aniplex as never getting a north american release.

Just because the 5x Gurren Lagaan volumes used to cost $50 apiece doesn't mean they were a deal $35 each. Glad I'm not a sucker. That's still $175 for the whole series, and with inferior paper box packaging. I hope AoA never wins the bidding for distribution rights for a single other series I like.
You're not entitled to anime. Quite frankly you were never Aniplex's target audience in the first place, so your complaints are irrelevant in the American marketplace. Buy some cheap shit from Europe or get a bootleg from eBay, since all you seem to be interested in is a race to the bottom.

Also, I think half this thread is in the wrong sub-forum. Try here, friendos: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/49-uk/

55875187.jpg

You're not entitled to anime. Quite frankly you were never Aniplex's target audience in the first place, so your complaints are irrelevant in the American marketplace. Buy some cheap shit from Europe or get a bootleg from eBay, since all you seem to be interested in is a race to the bottom.

Also, I think half this thread is in the wrong sub-forum. Try here, friendos: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/49-uk/
what a stupid post.

I believe this is a deals thread so it only makes sense to note that the U.K. Gurren Blu-rays are significantly cheaper than even RS's sale of the Aniplex release. Personally I bit on the sale price since I never imagined the series getting another re-release, even in the U.K., but now I have buyer's remorse considering how much could have been saved for essentially the same thing and the movies plus a chipboard box.

I believe this is a deals thread so it only makes sense to note that the U.K. Gurren Blu-rays are significantly cheaper than even RS's sale of the Aniplex release. Personally I bit on the sale price since I never imagined the series getting another re-release, even in the U.K., but now I have buyer's remorse considering how much could have been saved for essentially the same thing and the movies plus a chipboard box.
Interesting then how nobody in the main forum talks about UK video game imports, and how there are regional sub-forums for every non-American region, on an American-focused site.

Should we rename the thread to "UK Anime Deals for American Basement Dwellers on EBT"? I suppose it's a better title than the unofficial "Hey let's talk about anime last relevant when we were 15 years old 20 years ago" nomer this thread currently holds, but still...

Interesting then how nobody in the main forum talks about UK video game imports, and how there are regional sub-forums for every non-American region, on an American-focused site.

Should we rename the thread to "UK Anime Deals for American Basement Dwellers on EBT"? I suppose it's a better title than the unofficial "Hey let's talk about anime last relevant when we were 15 years old 20 years ago" nomer this thread currently holds, but still...
I recommend calling a suicide prevention hotline and making an appointment with a psychiatrist. Time to get some help for whatever it is that you have.

I don't visit the niche japanese video game thread anymore because of all the stupid that goes on in there. but when I was visiting it frequently a few years back and they actually posted deals in the thread UK video game imports actually came up a number of times. the only reason I know what zavvi is, is because of how people from the main forums talk about uk video game imports. Go figure people like getting the same item for much cheaper on a forum called cheap ass gamer.

anyways, you don't need to bother responding to me, I'm not going to see it, as I really don't know why you are acting the way you are, but I really don't feel like reading any more of the junk you are spewing so you are going on ignore for a bit ^^;

Though I will also note that if this thread is upsetting you so much, you could just set up an anime alert on slickdeals *shrugs*

edit: uh... does CAG actually have an ignore function? I've never tried using such a thing before and I can't find it >.<:

w/e there is always the manually ignore function on the user side >.<;

If you click on your username (either at the top or next to a post) you'll bring up your profile page.

From there, click on the Edit my Profile tab.

Select Ignore Preferences from the table on the left.

Then type in usernames and choose which options you want to block/allow.

It's also a good way to remove annoying/offensive signatures. 

For those asking about a player that is region free, I picked up the LG region free blu-ray player off Amazon that 220 Electronics was selling. Works perfectly on Toradora and switched back to region A for Code Geass. 

I also finally finished re-watching Code Geass on blu-ray, which re-affirmed it's status as "Best Anime Evar" and possibly "Best Modern Tragedy". Of course with that new sequel coming out, who knows what will happen. That being said, for those that also own the Code Geass blu-ray, did you notice a lot of "echo" added to the voices, particularly during battles where people talk to each other while in their mechs? It was really freaking annoying. I wasn't sure if that was a result of the blu-ray player or the blu-ray or a straight up defect in the audio. I really should just compare those specific scenes to playing on my PS4 to the blu-ray player to isolate whether it's that. Just wanted to get some feedback before I went through that trouble. Also pet peeve, they didn't translate the names of the Black Knights organizational structure when it scrolled on the screen. Funimation you suck.

On the topic of Zavvi, thank you for putting up those links! I had no idea they sold stuff that cheap, particularly anime from overseas that are overpriced as hell in the States. I'm definitely pre-ordering that Gurren Lagann set and putting my DVDs up for sale hehe. Going to check out that Outlaw Star set too. Yay for region free bd players!

not a deal right now, but will be down the line most likely if you are interested in the series

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-22/funimation-sekirei-rights-expire-on-february-9/.111349

funimation is losing rights to sekirei, and will not be printing any more copies of it after feb 9th.
Really glad I bought that in the last sale. Had been dying to get the full set and it finally hit the right price point. Good series, too bad they never finished it.

There are some pretty horrid reviews of Zavvi online btw....they actually worth buying from?
I bought from them for the first time a few months ago when I picked up Outlaw Star. Box was a little banged up when it arrived, but the chipboard box came in perfect condition. IIRC, there was brown paper used as padding. Not as good as Rightstuf's packaging, however. Considering it came from Europe to Hawaii without getting mutilated, I'd say it's worth it.

I have ordered from Zavvi many, many times and never had any issues. They tend to ship in padded mailers for everything so just bear that in mind. Also, don't use PayPal unless you have no choice as they tack on a surcharge if you use it. Items arrive a little faster than they do from Amazon UK (for US customers) but I generally have found that Amazon UK has better prices since they remove the VAT at checkout and you pay in GBP (assuming you use a card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees).

I don't know where you're looking, but

1) Steelbook thread always has UK import talk.

2) 3D Blu-ray thread always has UK import talk, cause you're not getting Frozen 3D and other releases any other way. Or even 2 for $20ish movies.

3) Games always had UK import talk. It was more prevalent with the DS since it wasn't region locked. But nowadays, they don't get anything we don't, so there's no real point. And it's a lot harder to buy a game from Europe, since most places don't ship games to the US. We've shifted to get stuff from Asia region instead.

4) CE thread always lists the UK stuff.

5) PSN thread always talks about the UK stuff, even if it's region specific.

And we're not the target for Aniplex. The only reason it happened is cause of reverse importation. If they thought the Western world was the same market as Japan, they would do their own releases in the UK.

"Hey let's talk about only anime this season because I'm a lame hipster."

I pre ordered Sailor Moon Crystal Set 2 Blu-Ray/DVD + GWP 2/21 and Sailor Moon R Movie Blu-Ray/DVD 4/18 from Rightstuf. I didn't know until after I placed my order that they have some strange way to ship things. It seems they may wait till Sailor Moon R comes out to ship Crystal? R comes out 2 months after Crystal. I cant really find up to date info on if they still use this crazy shipping method. Has anyone pre ordered recently and had items far apart like this? It seems there policy has changed some over the years. I am in the us. Its more clear for canada and international but the usa section is vauge. I paid with paypal so they already have my money and it would be a pain in the butt to cancel but waiting 2 months is nuts. Thanks

I pre ordered Sailor Moon Crystal Set 2 Blu-Ray/DVD + GWP 2/21 and Sailor Moon R Movie Blu-Ray/DVD 4/18 from Rightstuf. I didn't know until after I placed my order that they have some strange way to ship things. It seems they may wait till Sailor Moon R comes out to ship Crystal? R comes out 2 months after Crystal. I cant really find up to date info on if they still use this crazy shipping method. Has anyone pre ordered recently and had items far apart like this? It seems there policy has changed some over the years. I am in the us. Its more clear for canada and international but the usa section is vauge. I paid with paypal so they already have my money and it would be a pain in the butt to cancel but waiting 2 months is nuts. Thanks
They changed it when they changed the site. I was in almost the exact situation. I ordered Sailor Moon Crystal Set 1 Limited and and S Part 1 Limited together (and a couple light novels), and they shipped them this past November, months after one of the sets came out.

What shipping did you choose? If you selected free shipping they'll tend to hold shipping items till there's a good amount or a lot of time has passed.

I also finally finished re-watching Code Geass on blu-ray, which re-affirmed it's status as "Best Anime Evar" and possibly "Best Modern Tragedy". Of course with that new sequel coming out, who knows what will happen. That being said, for those that also own the Code Geass blu-ray, did you notice a lot of "echo" added to the voices, particularly during battles where people talk to each other while in their mechs? It was really freaking annoying. I wasn't sure if that was a result of the blu-ray player or the blu-ray or a straight up defect in the audio. I really should just compare those specific scenes to playing on my PS4 to the blu-ray player to isolate whether it's that. Just wanted to get some feedback before I went through that trouble. Also pet peeve, they didn't translate the names of the Black Knights organizational structure when it scrolled on the screen. Funimation you suck.
Looking forward to Season 3. Wanna see what they;re going to do with it. And if the main Lelouch Theory turns out to be true.

I just watched all of Code Geass and I think the last several episodes were pretty bad.  It's too bad too because season one was awesome.   spoilers below

• Lelouch's mom is not actually dead, she's a living spirit omg!
  • she's in cahoots with the King.  They actually wanted to keep Lelouch and Nunnaly safe!  So they sent them away.  What? Why? 
  • suddenly Suzaku is siding with Lelouch?
  • suddenly Nunnaly is nuking everyone lol.  why does she hate Lelouch for being Zero?   why wasn't her eyesight back right after Charles died?  Nunnaly would never kill everyone like that.   Did she previously know that she was royalty?  How come she never mentioned her brothers and sisters until she was seized by them?
  • why is Lelouch forced to play the bad guy as the emperor?  He could have made a better world while he ruled.  Who cares if it's hard to join the United Federation. 
  • the whole series is based on the premise that he wants to "give Nunnaly a better life", ok but now they fight and he imprisons her.  He has to end it all because he used Geass on Nunnaly??
  • why can't Lelouch express his feelings towards Kallen?  Why does he have to force a tragic ending making everyone important to him hate him?  Why does Japan need further empowerment? He controls the biggest empire.  Why does he imprison and stage execution for everyone that is important to him?  His death is supposedly going to dismantle Britania and restart the world anew?
  • Why does the Britanian empire pour all of their resources into subjugating Japan?  How do they control the rest of the world?  Why is this special charter school inside/near Area 11?
  • Why does C2 no longer care about ending her life when that's why she made the contract?  Why does C2 decide to kiss Lelouch on a couple different occasions when she has no feelings? 
  • Why do the Black Knights turn on him, even though his royal identity is found out?  He gave them everything. 
  • How does Lelouch have a badass Japanese assassin for a maid?  Why is she loyal to him?
  • and one of the biggest and dumbest ones:  Royalty named Lelouch and Nunnaly were hiding under the noses of the Britanian empire the whole time under the names "Lelouch" and "Nunnaly" and nobody notices apparently because they used a different last name.

Make no mistake, I'm all for tragic and non-traditional endings to great stories.  But I'm sorry, the last half of season 2 was just so bad.  I'm sure I missed a couple small details in there answering parts of these questions but it is no doubt that S2 was a convoluted mess.  Good show, it's also quite overrated.

bread's done
Back