Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be good!
heres hoping the GiTS movie is good. Im not hung up on the lack of japanese actors(i think that is a dumb complaint anyway) and i dont even care if it follows the main story 100%....it just needs to be:

1. well acted

2. well directed.

3. well told

4. fits well within the established universe of GiTS

but it seems internet anime fans are willing to kill it before they even see it because *GASP* the actors arent japanese and thus the movie is inauthentic. never mind the fact anime characters dont look japanese 90% of the time....oh and because heaven forbid the movie doesnt follow the anime/manga script/plot 120%

Im okay with the movie as long as at the end of the show, i feel like i've watched something from the ghost in the shell universe

4ufRxC7.gif
just what in the world is this?

Internet anime fans are mostly giant weebs that are impossible to please.  They bitch about absolutely everything from domestic releases, to Japanese superiority, and are giant 'subs only' bigots. 

I'm with you.  I'm very excited to see how this Ghost in the Shell movie turns out.  So far with the teasers and the previews it looks like it could be amazing.

I'm just thankful that we get so many shows over here now.  That every year there are more offerings than the last, and internet niche distribution keeps growing stronger every year.   It's such a great time to be an anime fan; we have so many options from which to choose the way we receive our media. 

I'm optimistic for Ghost in The Shell. I do wish it was someone besides Scarlett since I'm not really a fan of hers, but I have no problem with a white person being cast. Nowhere, in any of the movies or series is her race ever declared, so people complaining about that aspect are just people getting offended on behalf of another race (in a lot of cases).

There's also Galaxy Angel, Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon, Prison School, Gundam Build Fighters, Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Internet anime fans are mostly giant weebs that are impossible to please. They bitch about absolutely everything from domestic releases, to Japanese superiority, and are giant 'subs only' bigots.

I'm with you. I'm very excited to see how this Ghost in the Shell movie turns out. So far with the teasers and the previews it looks like it could be amazing.

I'm just thankful that we get so many shows over here now. That every year there are more offerings than the last, and internet niche distribution keeps growing stronger every year. It's such a great time to be an anime fan; we have so many options from which to choose the way we receive our media.
i'll add that a lot of in person anime fans i've met are just as weeb-like as their internet counterparts. with video game fans in real life, i've noticed its more 50/50....but the internet and real life in my experience when it comes to anime fans, are weebs through and through. and worse than that....often socially dysfunctional to the point of utter retardation. and it only gets worse if they are into card games.....its quite sad really, because i would love to be able to hang out and watch anime and maybe even play a round of magic or some other board game....but i cant stomach the fanbases for those people.....they all seem to lack any kind of social ability at all. every last one of them except like 1 out of 1000.....its like they are all super liberal in dire need of at least 5 safe spaces in every room they inhabit.

i agree....anime options are pretty good these days overall. though i've got a giant pile in the backlog that im confident i'll never get through.

but yeah i'll be there to see GiTS day 1

I'm optimistic for Ghost in The Shell. I do wish it was someone besides Scarlett since I'm not really a fan of hers, but I have no problem with a white person being cast. Nowhere, in any of the movies or series is her race ever declared, so people complaining about that aspect are just people getting offended on behalf of another race (in a lot of cases).
my memory may be rusty, but im fairly certain she's japanese like the rest of the cast, however none of them actually look japanese. but i could be remembering it all wrong. but its a problem in anime when they try and cast people for live action versions, the fanbase cries foul because they arent cast as japanese....yet they never look japanese in anime. honestly im not sure who they are getting offended for exactly as im not sure japanese anime fans even care.

as for scarlett i've not given much thought about her one way or the other....but what i do like about her being cast is that she is a fairly big star, so that gives me hope that movie has high production values.

Amazing, that's what it is. :D
so according to you that means its some weird harem right????

Stand Alone Complex season 1 and 2 would be good, but I have no idea what 3rd thing I would get.
hmmm well i did have GITS preordered at best buy.....

I always watch subbed over dubbed because for everything I've seen Naruto and DBZ are the only two that sound better in English. Everything else sounds better in Japanese.

it will forever baffle me how anyone can actually say this.
Because it's true. The vast majority of anime English dubbing gets the dregs of Western voice actors. And even when the actors they get are decent, the direction still isn't. It's only once in a blue moon that you get a Western anime localization with a GOOD English vocal performance. I don't inherently believe that the Japanese is better. But I do believe (with good reason) that the Japanese vocal performances are often given a much higher priority than they are in the West. Anime voice actors in Japan often have large fan followings, and successful careers where they're considered serious celebrities. In the U.S., voice actors are often seriously marginalized compared to their live-action counterparts. The craft of voice acting isn't given nearly as much prestige.

Frequently, the best Western voice acting comes from British performers. But the sad state of English anime voice acting leaves most localized anime with embarrassingly bad vocal performances. THAT's why I usually switch it over to subtitled Japanese.

Because it's true. The vast majority of anime English dubbing gets the dregs of Western voice actors. And even when the actors they get are decent, the direction still isn't. It's only once in a blue moon that you get a Western anime localization with a GOOD English vocal performance. I don't inherently believe that the Japanese is better. But I do believe (with good reason) that the Japanese vocal performances are often given a much higher priority than they are in the West. Anime voice actors in Japan often have large fan followings, and successful careers where they're considered serious celebrities. In the U.S., voice actors are often seriously marginalized compared to their live-action counterparts. The craft of voice acting isn't given nearly as much prestige.

Frequently, the best Western voice acting comes from British performers. But the sad state of English anime voice acting leaves most localized anime with embarrassingly bad vocal performances. THAT's why I usually switch it over to subtitled Japanese.
I usually agree with this, but I'm surprised by the quality of the dub for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, as it's really quite good.

except there are plenty of animes with solid english voice acting. i would list these animes but well i know it will be ignored so there is no point

sure you get the hilariously bad 4kids dubs floating around or the ever comical dbz ocean dub. but theres been plenty of solid english dubs in anime history....but again japan only weebo bigots who worship the japanese culture cannot see this.

the only gripe about english voice acting is they sometimes mangle the original script pretty badly....but not always so even then that isnt a true complaint all the time. even still there probably are plenty of awful japanese dubs but since you or i do not speak japanese we cannot tell what constitutes poor dialect in that language no more than we can tell what constitutes good dialect. which again makes me wonder how anyone short of someone who knows the language really well can honestly tell me, japanese dubbing is superior to english dubbing.

for example....as a native english speaker i can tell what is crappy dialect. a 5 year old can speak english but he speaks is poorly and it is obvious. a 5 year old japanese child could speak japanese too me but i would have no way of telling whether it is poor japanese or not.

another example could you tell me if the japanese VA is slurring their words? i can tell if this is the case in english but in japanese? no you cannot tell unless you know the language really well.

so i would ask how anyone unfamiliar with the language can tell me the japanese dub is superior when they factually literally cannot. as all foreign languages that you do not know, are indiscernible gibberish.

to that end....any english speaker who does not know japanese really well, much less has no understanding of the language at all, cannot tell me that the japanese dub is superior to the english dub. they can at best tell me the english dub is poorly done but are in no position to pass judgment on the quality of the foreign language dubbing.

I usually agree with this, but I'm surprised by the quality of the dub for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, as it's really quite good.
There are always exceptions. I've always felt that the English dubbing and direction for the FullMetal Alchemist series was quite good. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex also had some respectable dubbing that I didn't mind listening to. But there are plenty of other series where it straight up hurts to listen to the English audio track. Just puts my teeth on edge. The Pioneer-published first run of DBZ episodes is decent. Not great, but decent, and at least appropriate for the material. But the post-Pioneer dubbing, starting around the middle of the Ginyu-force, was so bad that it's just unwatchable. I can't play those episodes without switching it over to Japanese.

so i would ask how anyone unfamiliar with the language can tell me the japanese dub is superior when they factually literally cannot. as all foreign languages that you do not know, are indiscernible gibberish.
All human languages are based on patterns and repetition. Listening to a language long enough will make you familiar with recurring patterns, especially when these auditory patterns are frequently reinforced with visual cues. The experience of listening to anime in Japanese starts to clue you in to how a Japanese voice-actor's performance is supposed to sound. The more of this you listen to, the more familiar you become with these patterns, even if you don't understand the language itself. It's entirely possible to begin identifying the quality of a Japanese performance with enough experience.

Moreover, the cultural distance you're mentioning only reinforces the point I'm trying to make. When you don't recognize a language, it's harder to tell when something is wrong, just as much as it is hard to tell if something is right. But when you are listening to a performance in your native language, you can pick up immediately when something is wrong. This is a big reason why I often switch over to subtitled Japanese. Not because the Japanese is inherently superior, but because the English dubbing is terrible. And I have any number of examples of high quality English performances to compare it to. English culture has tons of animated programming that you can stack that dubbing up against. And it is so often found wanting.

Back on topic, thank you Beerme and Elessar for bringing attention to the Target sale.  I'm probably going to pick up a half dozen or so preorders when it's all said and done.

my memory may be rusty, but im fairly certain she's japanese like the rest of the cast, however none of them actually look japanese. but i could be remembering it all wrong. but its a problem in anime when they try and cast people for live action versions, the fanbase cries foul because they arent cast as japanese....yet they never look japanese in anime. honestly im not sure who they are getting offended for exactly as im not sure japanese anime fans even care.

as for scarlett i've not given much thought about her one way or the other....but what i do like about her being cast is that she is a fairly big star, so that gives me hope that movie has high production values.
It's funny. The Japanese didn't give a shit that Scarlet was playing the Major. Just the other fans that are flipping their shit about it. Although the Major has a japanese name, no one knows her origins and has a cybernetic body, meaning she can have any appearance she wanted. In most of her appearances, the Major looked ethnically neutral. Seeing that the story takes place in a distant cybernetic future, a Japanese person with a cybernetic caucasian body would not be totally out there.

At the end of the day, it is a Western Company making a Western Adaption. Despite being "Ghost in the Shell", the movie is still niche and can't be able to carry everything with just its name. It needed the star power and them getting Scarlet to be in it at least shows the company doesn't want it to fail.

While I don't know if there's a JP version of the current Voltron series, I have to say the english VA's do a fantastic job for that show. It doesn't sound corny or childish, there's a good level of humor and it's a great show to watch. I think that between subs and dubs it's all on a case-by-case basis and dependent on a person's auditory preference. I'd definitely listen to more dubs if they had the same quality as Voltron.

While I don't know if there's a JP version of the current Voltron series, I have to say the english VA's do a fantastic job for that show. It doesn't sound corny or childish, there's a good level of humor and it's a great show to watch. I think that between subs and dubs it's all on a case-by-case basis and dependent on a person's auditory preference. I'd definitely listen to more dubs if they had the same quality as Voltron.
I prefer dubs to some and subs for others. Like with Dragonball Z. Can't really watch the sub at all but I'm all down for the dub.

it will forever baffle me how anyone can actually say this.
It's because if you don't understand the language it's harder to tell then the voice actors are doing a shitty job.

My main problem with English voice acting in anime is that it seems like the same small group of people are used for everything.

So I'm not sure about finding two other $100+ items to pair with it, but it looks like Target has a listing for the Umaru-Chan premium edition set.

http://www.target.com/p/himouto-umaru-chan-blu-ray/-/A-52244324

If I find anything else that surprises me, I'll just edit it in here.
Here ya go, here's one: Amagi Brilliant Park $103.49 http://www.target.com/p/amagi-brilliant-park-blu-ray/-/A-51923436

But I'm definitely going to wait until the next Sentai black friday sale before purchasing any of these premium sets. They were uber cheap and Sentai stole the show from all other retailers with their deals over Christmas.

Couple other options:

$114.99 My Love Story http://www.target.com/p/my-love-story-blu-ray/-/A-52140979

$80.49 Is It Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? http://www.target.com/p/is-it-wrong-to-pick-up-girls-in-a-dungeon-combo-blu-ray/-/A-52044378

Here ya go, here's one: Amagi Brilliant Park $103.49 http://www.target.com/p/amagi-brilliant-park-blu-ray/-/A-51923436

But I'm definitely going to wait until the next Sentai black friday sale before purchasing any of these premium sets. They were uber cheap and Sentai stole the show from all other retailers with their deals over Christmas.
Assuming the next Sentai sale will actually be good.

We've had a pretty dry run of anime BF sales being good two years in a row.

Recently it's just been one and dones, and the next year anticipation was shot down by the sheer disappointment in a good sale.

Remember when Funi hit us up that first year they went big, and then the following year they just fell into a chasm?

Prior to that it was alternating years for DD and its family of places, but now they're gone altogether.

Amazon has also entered a void, and RS sales have, well, outside of their own Sentai sales that were not a part of BF, have been awful, and not up to par from previous years,

Of course, that's not saying I hope there isn't going to be one since sales are always great, but certainly don't get your hopes too far up for them to pull through again as there's been a pattern of let downs, even from publisher sales directly.

Fingers crossed. :D

Yeah, that's true. Although I remain hopeful of another Sentai sale!

i'll add that a lot of in person anime fans i've met are just as weeb-like as their internet counterparts. with video game fans in real life, i've noticed its more 50/50....but the internet and real life in my experience when it comes to anime fans, are weebs through and through. and worse than that....often socially dysfunctional to the point of utter retardation. and it only gets worse if they are into card games.....its quite sad really, because i would love to be able to hang out and watch anime and maybe even play a round of magic or some other board game....but i cant stomach the fanbases for those people.....they all seem to lack any kind of social ability at all. every last one of them except like 1 out of 1000.....its like they are all super liberal in dire need of at least 5 safe spaces in every room they inhabit.
Couldn't agree more, man. With everything from Magic to the social awkwardness. It's so true, and it's too bad so many people have to be that way. I had to quit playing Magic when I was 15 because of all the undesirables associated with the hobby. Many of my good friends won't even give anime a shot because they can't stand the social stigma that comes from the people around here who are into anime. They simply would never attempt to be interested in it. Most people, women especially, hate this kind of shit. It is seen as perverted or juvenile. When I go out I don't spend much time talking about my hobbies because it sounds just as bad as other people that talk about their jobs all the time. I still go to The Source comics (3rd largest comics/board games retailer in the nation I think?) and the Fantasy Flight Games Convention Center frequently because I love this stuff and I want to see what's new. But nothing has changed; it's always smelly, dirty people that also have eccentric voices and mannerisms.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I appreciate it.  I decided to just go ahead and get the regular versions, since I could get twice as many sets for about the same money.  

For $173 plus tax I picked up:

Ghost in the Shell Season 1 + 2

Scrapped Princess

Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon

Umarau-Chan

Amagi Brilliant Park

It's funny. The Japanese didn't give a shit that Scarlet was playing the Major. Just the other fans that are flipping their shit about it. Although the Major has a japanese name, no one knows her origins and has a cybernetic body, meaning she can have any appearance she wanted. In most of her appearances, the Major looked ethnically neutral. Seeing that the story takes place in a distant cybernetic future, a Japanese person with a cybernetic caucasian body would not be totally out there.

At the end of the day, it is a Western Company making a Western Adaption. Despite being "Ghost in the Shell", the movie is still niche and can't be able to carry everything with just its name. It needed the star power and them getting Scarlet to be in it at least shows the company doesn't want it to fail.
This. I'm a huge fan of GitS and not a huge fan of ScarJo, and even I have 0 animosity over her being cast. In this role, it would really only fit her or Emily Blunt.

She clearly has changed her appearance at least twice, if you assume GitS:SAC to be canon. So looking like ScarJo doesn't bother me at all. Calling her "the Major," however...

Also, Batou isn't Japanese. Canonically, he's American, and he doesn't have a full cybernetic body replacement like Motoko. Togusa canon is Japanese with no cybernetics. Batou and Togusa are stereotypical American and Japanese archetypes, and they contrast each other. As long as they keep the constrast between those two, I'd be satisfied.

-----

As a non-native English speaker, I can hear accents in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. So just because you can't, doesn't mean everyone's a "weeb."

There's obviously good and bad voice acting in both, but the amount of bad English voice acting in anime is really high. I didn't even like the Mononoke (Jada) and GitS '95 (Kusanagi on a boat scene) dubs, just because some dialog and deliveries were way off. Billy Bob did a great job in Mononoke, IMO.

Archer, DC Animated, etc. have great voice acting, OTHO. Rick and Morty though... I want to strangle the creator (the voice of Rick, Morty, and Lemongrab) just watching that.

i agree with this. and it is why casting scarlett gives me some hope that they dont want the movie to bomb....which so often appears to be the case for live action anime and video game western adaptations.

As a non-native English speaker, I can hear accents in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. So just because you can't, doesn't mean everyone's a "weeb."
literally missed the point with that statement

Yeah, that's true. Although I remain hopeful of another Sentai sale!

Couldn't agree more, man. With everything from Magic to the social awkwardness. It's so true, and it's too bad so many people have to be that way. I had to quit playing Magic when I was 15 because of all the undesirables associated with the hobby. Many of my good friends won't even give anime a shot because they can't stand the social stigma that comes from the people around here who are into anime. They simply would never attempt to be interested in it. Most people, women especially, hate this kind of shit. It is seen as perverted or juvenile. When I go out I don't spend much time talking about my hobbies because it sounds just as bad as other people that talk about their jobs all the time. I still go to The Source comics (3rd largest comics/board games retailer in the nation I think?) and the Fantasy Flight Games Convention Center frequently because I love this stuff and I want to see what's new. But nothing has changed; it's always smelly, dirty people that also have eccentric voices and mannerisms.
so true....so so very true. though speaking of women....the 1 woman out of every 100 men that occupy these parts seems to suffer from a special brand social retardation. and if the males there had any part of their manhood left, that woman would be a slut. its quite fascinating and probably would make for an amazing psychological case study.

This. I'm a huge fan of GitS and not a huge fan of ScarJo, and even I have 0 animosity over her being cast. In this role, it would really only fit her or Emily Blunt.

She clearly has changed her appearance at least twice, if you assume GitS:SAC to be canon. So looking like ScarJo doesn't bother me at all. Calling her "the Major," however...

Also, Batou isn't Japanese. Canonically, he's American, and he doesn't have a full cybernetic body replacement like Motoko. Togusa canon is Japanese with no cybernetics. Batou and Togusa are stereotypical American and Japanese archetypes, and they contrast each other. As long as they keep the constrast between those two, I'd be satisfied.
as stated my memory was probably rusty so i couldnt remember. and yes major has changed her appearance more than once. at least 3 times as far as i know. she looks different in the prequels that came out recently, then there is her debut appearance in the first movie, and she adopts a child appearance in movie 2. we also see her as a child in season 2 during flash backs(at least it is heavily implied that it is her if memory serves me right). the only constant is that she seems to be a female and never adopts a male appearance.

I'm not sure how people can watch any anime with all the time they spend looking down their own noses.
zing!

All human languages are based on patterns and repetition. Listening to a language long enough will make you familiar with recurring patterns, especially when these auditory patterns are frequently reinforced with visual cues. The experience of listening to anime in Japanese starts to clue you in to how a Japanese voice-actor's performance is supposed to sound. The more of this you listen to, the more familiar you become with these patterns, even if you don't understand the language itself. It's entirely possible to begin identifying the quality of a Japanese performance with enough experience.

Moreover, the cultural distance you're mentioning only reinforces the point I'm trying to make. When you don't recognize a language, it's harder to tell when something is wrong, just as much as it is hard to tell if something is right. But when you are listening to a performance in your native language, you can pick up immediately when something is wrong. This is a big reason why I often switch over to subtitled Japanese. Not because the Japanese is inherently superior, but because the English dubbing is terrible. And I have any number of examples of high quality English performances to compare it to. English culture has tons of animated programming that you can stack that dubbing up against. And it is so often found wanting.
while all languages are based on patterns via sounds obviously....some of these patterns are noticeably more difficult than others. asian languages like japanese are in the tougher to learn category with only obscure african languages being worse. to that end, unless in your many years of anime watching youve actually learned the language, then it is still gibberish. thats the trick....unless you've cracked the code to that pattern of sounds, then it is gibberish.

the mind can certainly trick you into thinking you understand it when you dont. the mind can play many tricks on a person. but unless you can actually understand the language and comprehend it, then you are in no place to ever cast judgment on the quality of one's speech in that particular language.

i also dont know how you guys find so many terrible english dubs....do they exist? sure. but i must not watch enough terrible anime as i dont run into dubs that are so horrendous that i need to switch to japanese VA all that often. again i stand by the weeb sentiment that most anime fans apparently have for reasons i cannot yet fathom.

i agree with this. and it is why casting scarlett gives me some hope that they dont want the movie to bomb....which so often appears to be the case for live action anime and video game western adaptations.

EDIT: Sorry the formatting got all screwed up

I'm glad I wandered in here and found out about these out-of-nowhere Target anime deals. I think I'll go with Amagi Brilliant Park, Fairy Tail Collection Five, and Gundam Build Fighters Try.

as stated my memory was probably rusty so i couldnt remember. and yes major has changed her appearance more than once. at least 3 times as far as i know. she looks different in the prequels that came out recently, then there is her debut appearance in the first movie, and she adopts a child appearance in movie 2. we also see her as a child in season 2 during flash backs(at least it is heavily implied that it is her if memory serves me right). the only constant is that she seems to be a female and never adopts a male appearance.
Arise is not the same timeline, because it contradicts the other timelines. In SAC, the child version is her real body. Batou et al don't know for 100% certainty that she's actually female. The girl version is technically her and the puppetmaster combined.

while all languages are based on patterns via sounds obviously....some of these patterns are noticeably more difficult than others. asian languages like japanese are in the tougher to learn category with only obscure african languages being worse. to that end, unless in your many years of anime watching youve actually learned the language, then it is still gibberish. thats the trick....unless you've cracked the code to that pattern of sounds, then it is gibberish.
For some.

I can't be expected to read all of a person's post.  ;)

I also found several other TV releases I didn't realize were out.  So, I think I'm going to do the smart thing and just stay away from the site for a bit. 

What are general feelings toward Guilty Crown?

Saw this on sale at Best Buy and was tempted. Debating about getting it with GitS 1 and 2 on the Target sale.

Other good items to consider for preorders

Spice and Wolf Vol 18: Spring Log (Original Novel Sequel)

Girls und Panzer OVA  (the Anzio Battle, around the same price as a light novel/manga if you are looking for a cheap fun blu)

Grabbed 

Nisekoi Vol #22 + #23

Yona Vol #6 + #7

Spice and Wolf #18

Devil is a Part Timer #7

Amagi Brilliant Park CE

Kyousougiga

Danmachi SE

for around $190 after I split orders a bit. 

Saw this on sale at Best Buy and was tempted. Debating about getting it with GitS 1 and 2 on the Target sale.
Usually when I have questions like this, I search for the show on ANN. It's a really good tool to use to find out the Genre and Themes of a show, and how well it's publicly rated.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13001

It has a 7.322 average rating so that means its not too bad. Right about middle of the pack. It's an action-sci-fi-psychological drama with many different themes. So it might be cool to check out!

Use that site for show searches. Scroll down to the first hit labelled (TV) or (Movie) with the show's name in front of it. It's a great resource.

Its a very pretty show but kinda shallow and has somewhat divisive ending. Personally I wouldn't blind buy something when there are so many other options. Get something you know you will like and want in your collection.

As far as the GitS movie, I'd much rather have seen Rinko Kikuchi, from Pacific Rim, cast as the lead. Unless they "Americanize" Motoko Kusanagi's name, Scarlett Johansson playing the character--with that same very Japanese name--is kind of ridiculous. Though, despite not personally being a ScarJo fan, it's was obvious why Hollywood went the way they did. It's insanely rare for Hollywood to cast an Asian actor to headline a multi-million dollar Hollywood blockbuster and Johansson had a bankable name with similar roles to her credit. 

I thought the vague teaser trailer looked awful, but I was much more impressed by the actual trailer. I'll definitely give it a chance and check it out in the theater. 

I think Scarlett is both good and bad for this movie. Without a big name as the main character I really don't think this movie would have gotten the kind of budget or effort put into it that it's getting.

At the very least it can't be as bad as 90% of the made in Japan live action anime adaptions.

Pacific Rim, now there's a movie that warranted a little criticism lol.  There was like one woman in the entire movie.  

I'm not leftist or anything close to socially progressive.   But it was glaringly obvious and weird even on my first and only viewing of the movie.  Just tons of dudes and that one chick. 

bread's done
Back