Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
At the very least it can't be as bad as 90% of the made in Japan live action anime adaptions.
I'm sure, at the very least, it'll be better than the live-action Devilman & Gatchman films, along with most of the American-made live-action anime adaptations, like Kite and Fist of the North Star. At least, based on the trailer, the director is actually familiar with GitS.,

Pacific Rim, now there's a movie that warranted a little criticism lol.
Honestly, aside from Rinko Kikuchi, there wasn't much I liked about it.

What are general feelings toward Guilty Crown?

Saw this on sale at Best Buy and was tempted. Debating about getting it with GitS 1 and 2 on the Target sale.
It's an entertaining show and I enjoyed it. I'd say that ANN rating is about right.

Arise is not the same timeline, because it contradicts the other timelines. In SAC, the child version is her real body. Batou et al don't know for 100% certainty that she's actually female. The girl version is technically her and the puppetmaster combined.

For some.
no....for all....thats how languages work my friend.

and as for arise....it might contradict stuff sure, but i thought it was supposed to be a prequel to the main series? or did they say it is just an alternate timeline?

on another note why did they suddenly decide to revive this series after so long? not that im complaining, just seems odd.

unless i missed it....does target only have season 1 of blu ray GiTS on their website???? i only saw one. but i might be blind.

As far as the GitS movie, I'd much rather have seen Rinko Kikuchi, from Pacific Rim, cast as the lead. Unless they "Americanize" Motoko Kusanagi's name, Scarlett Johansson playing the character--with that same very Japanese name--is kind of ridiculous. Though, despite not personally being a ScarJo fan, it's was obvious why Hollywood went the way they did. It's insanely rare for Hollywood to cast an Asian actor to headline a multi-million dollar Hollywood blockbuster and Johansson had a bankable name with similar roles to her credit.

I thought the vague teaser trailer looked awful, but I was much more impressed by the actual trailer. I'll definitely give it a chance and check it out in the theater.
its been discussed to death now....but casting Scarlett is a fantastic idea. its star power. that and Motoko, never once looks anything resembling japanese....she looks very white. really 90% of anime characters look anything but japanese and GiTS which has better facial feature than most animes, has motoko, who looks white as hell in every version of her.

Thanks for the heads up on the Target sale. Ordered Galaxy Angel, Is It Wrong..., and Dagashi Kashi blu-Ray sets for $90 with tax.

Arise was meant to serve as a prequel, that much is true. But it's also a different continuity as there are contradictions and that gave them more freedom.

And this type of move is nothing new for GitS. After all, the movies, anime series, and manga were already all separate continuities.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using TapaTalk.

Arise was meant to serve as a prequel, that much is true. But it's also a different continuity as there are contradictions and that gave them more freedom.

And this type of move is nothing new for GitS. After all, the movies, anime series, and manga were already all separate continuities.

oh interesting....good to know.

62885543.jpg

I went ahead and picked up Freezing S1+S2 and GitS: Innocence in the Target sale, which comes out to about $18.9 a piece with tax. Definitely a good deal for Freezing, not sure what prices have been like on this GitS movie, but I'll take it.

Anyone going to see the SAO movie?

Awesome deal thanks! Got myself some Gundam Blu Rays. Too bad 0083 wasn't on sale so I added Nadesico to pair with Turn A Gundam part 1 and 2 :D

People buying the GitS series should be aware that it has a ton of issues(not surprising given it's Anchor Bay). People who got it said it has subtitles,no chapter skipping,none of the extras from the DVDs,and so on.

unless i missed it....does target only have season 1 of blu ray GiTS on their website???? i only saw one. but i might be blind.
There's no box art, I missed it as well for a bit: http://www.target.com/p/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex-season-2-blu-ray-/-/A-52088976

Awesome deal thanks! Got myself some Gundam Blu Rays. Too bad 0083 wasn't on sale so I added Nadesico to pair with Turn A Gundam part 1 and 2 :D
You looking for this: http://www.target.com/p/-/A-52268861 ? Personally, I'd love it if they had 08th MS team, but it must be too new of a listing and/or too far out.

People buying the GitS series should be aware that it has a ton of issues(not surprising given it's Anchor Bay). People who got it said it has subtitles,no chapter skipping,none of the extras from the DVDs,and so on.
Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of getting GitS finally, so I'll look in to it further (unless you have some relevant links?) first.

There's no box art, I missed it as well for a bit: http://www.target.com/p/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex-season-2-blu-ray-/-/A-52088976

You looking for this: http://www.target.com/p/-/A-52268861 ? Personally, I'd love it if they had 08th MS team, but it must be too new of a listing and/or too far out.

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of getting GitS finally, so I'll look in to it further (unless you have some relevant links?) first.
From Blu-Ray.com

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13215916&postcount=1281

thanks for the link.

well thats a shame....but at least it apparently has english subtitles even if they are just dub subtitles for deaf folks....too many anime blu rays dont have english subtitles if you listen to it in english.

but that said....any word on the video and audio quality? is it much of an upgrade? thats what i was hoping for really that at least the audio and video would be a solid blu ray worthy release.....i mean it is already one of the better looking animes around.

well thats a shame....but at least it apparently has english subtitles even if they are just dub subtitles for deaf folks....too many anime blu rays dont have english subtitles if you listen to it in english.

but that said....any word on the video and audio quality? is it much of an upgrade?

just a heads up.

best buy once again has visa checkout going so $25 off $100 orders. thus if there are any sales there it could make for a nice deal.

I don't know if anything is on sale on best buy that would beat the target b2g1 though.

yeah thanks I saw that but unfortunately 0083 is not part of the sale :( Which is weird considering other pre-orders are.
Ah, I didn't notice that -_-

Thanks for the link, based on that and what I found with a little searching, there is no way I'd buy this. CC dubtitles? Awful. Poor chapter stops, the opening isn't properly translated etc. Glad I didn't buy these.

Glad I didn't buy these.
I had them in my Amazon shopping cart for a while now, but forgot to place the order. Guess I'll just stick with the DVDs, at least for the moment. This is giving me flashbacks of the Cowboy Bebop movie, in that the DVD was superior to the botched Blu-ray release.

I don't know what's going on lately with companies messing up their bluray releases. Not entirely anime related, but Shout Factory's quality control has recently taken a nosedive as well...

*looks at an email from rightstuf about a flash sale and thus clicks the link*

*sees it is only Arpeggio of Blue Steel Blu-ray/DVD and only at 40% off, otherwise known as the normal amount for a studio sale*

I really don't think rightstuf gets the appeal of a flash sale o_O

*looks at an email from rightstuf about a flash sale and thus clicks the link*

*sees it is only Arpeggio of Blue Steel Blu-ray/DVD and only at 40% off, otherwise known as the normal amount for a studio sale*

I really don't think rightstuf gets the appeal of a flash sale o_O
I'm starting to think Rightstuf doesn't get the appeal of any kind of sale.

I'm starting to think Rightstuf doesn't get the appeal of any kind of sale.
To be honest, I don't think they have to. They have so many fans and customers that they bombard with emails 2-3 times daily and will buy things on a whim. The anime subculture is less aligned with cost and savings than just about any other type of entertainment goods sector. So many otaku will spend whatever to get what they want.

Thanks, Master. After giving it a lot of thought, I'm just going to cancel my GitS order from Target and get the UK release whenever that comes out. I noticed on BR.com that they said they were definitely not going to use the US release for their sets. I'm usually not all that picky, but a few seconds of the audio switching languages is unbelievably bad.

Now I just need to come up with two things to pair with Scrapped Princess (or just buy it later). Too bad the War in the Pocket release is on dvd.

Yea, I ended up getting the Korean release for about $150.

As for pairing, Galaxy Angel is great, and about as old as Scrapped Princess. It's like Danger 5 or Titan Maximum, if they were anime.

didnt pay this enough attention and didnt realize the release was so soon(was thinking it was next week)....but my best buy shipped my GiTS order today....oh well guess i have to decide what to do with it. i mean i'd probably get it eventually anyway since i love the show.

yeah sucks the release looks crappy.

To be honest, I don't think they have to. They have so many fans and customers that they bombard with emails 2-3 times daily and will buy things on a whim. The anime subculture is less aligned with cost and savings than just about any other type of entertainment goods sector. So many otaku will spend whatever to get what they want.
never really understood why this is. i mean i understand anime used to be very very niche and so prices reflected that, but still. i mean we cant all be square's with his 234543534 anime sets he has. or maybe im wrong and most anime fans are anime collecting hoarders and so they dont care.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Ghost in the Shell movie (the O Ring version 2017 vs the 25th anniversary one 2014)?

I wanna join in on the Target deal fun but I can't think of anything that would be really good for the price. They all seem like pretty big ticket sets.

Thanks! Going to wait and see if a miracle happens tomorrow and they put 08th MS team up :D Really don't want my 3rd item to be a Sentai title when I can just get it on Black Friday given how good the last sale was.

Target's website search sucks!  When I was looking for items to match with GitS S1/S2 earlier in the week, I was searching for items in my wish list.  I searched for "Noein" and it came back with only "Noxin" shampoo, so I figured they didn't have it.  Today, I'm looking through movies, and "Noein: To Your Other Self: The Complete Series (Blu-ray/DVD)" shows up in my Recommended items list.  Playing around with the search function a bit, I find that you need to include the colon ":" in the name for search to find it.

I wanna join in on the Target deal fun but I can't think of anything that would be really good for the price. They all seem like pretty big ticket sets.
There are a few ghibli blu's, $15 a pop gives $10 per, shipped. Current amazon is ~$13 per, so a little cheaper.

Placed a last minute Target order for Scrapped Princess, Stardust Memory, and My Hero Academia. I had a hard time coming up with a third title, and figured I'd give Academia a shot.

It's too bad Target didn't have 08th MS Team. I also wish we were getting War in the Pocket on blu ray. Either of those would have made my decision a lot easier.

The Gundam releases are getting out of control.  I think I'll just have to wait for a giant studio sale and pick them all up simultaneously, sometime down the line. 

I sat on the Target sale all week and just ordered a bunch of Funi LEs last minute. 

Placed a last minute Target order for Scrapped Princess, Stardust Memory, and My Hero Academia. I had a hard time coming up with a third title, and figured I'd give Academia a shot.

It's too bad Target didn't have 08th MS Team. I also wish we were getting War in the Pocket on blu ray. Either of those would have made my decision a lot easier.
as long as you enjoy really well done shonen shows you should enjoy MHA.

that being said the first season is just okay. the final arc is solid, and is where the series really starts to pick up. Sadly it ended there and you didn't get to see all the great stuff after.

that being said... there is a second season coming, so yay.

I picked up just a couple items with the Target sale, mixing similarly priced anime from my wish list with 4K and 3D titles including a couple preorders.

Serial Experiments Lain
Claymore

I was really tempted to pick up all seasons of Full Metal Panic and Heaven's Lost Property, but my wife would kill me if that many packages showed up in a single week.

I picked up just a couple items with the Target sale, mixing similarly priced anime from my wish list with 4K and 3D titles including a couple preorders.

Serial Experiments Lain
Claymore

I was really tempted to pick up all seasons of Full Metal Panic and Heaven's Lost Property, but my wife would kill me if that many packages showed up in a single week.
I struggled to like Serial Experiments Lain. It was too weird and I wasn't quite following what they were trying to do. That being said, FMP is a lot of fun and I believe another season is coming in the near future, so that's a good one to pick up when you can. HLP is hilarious, but doesn't really get a proper ending of the series. Still worth having though.

I struggled to like Serial Experiments Lain. It was too weird and I wasn't quite following what they were trying to do. That being said, FMP is a lot of fun and I believe another season is coming in the near future, so that's a good one to pick up when you can. HLP is hilarious, but doesn't really get a proper ending of the series. Still worth having though.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely keep FMP and HLP on my future wish list.

Serial Experiments Lain
Claymore

i disagree with the other guy. lain is quite good.

if you enjoy mindfudges then its quite good. though if you do watch it and i do recommend it if you are into that kind of anime, then actually watch all of it. the first few episodes are basically set ups to the second half. in fact if you judged the anime off of the first episode alone, you'd walk away thinking it is something completely different that what it is.

Yeah, I would have loved that too, but I guess 08th is too far out. As for 0080 (war in the pocket), it's not out in Japan on BD yet, so it'll be a while (I'm waiting patiently for it too). At least with the trend, it will make it here eventually.

Got my Code Geass R2 replacement discs. Didn't take as long as they said it would. Probably gonna sell my old discs on ebay

Amazon reviews of the new GitS SAC BR releases are not looking good. Audio switches between English and Japanese (or both at the same time) at certain points, subtitles are dubtitles and only available as closed captioning (sound effects written out), and each episode is a single chapter so you can't quickly navigate within an episode. The video and audio quality are reportedly good though.

I only ordered S1 and may ask Amazon for a return.

-Update-

Amazon gave me free return shipping.

Here's a review that sums up the problems with this release: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3AGQ4XSFGANGR/

bread's done
Back