Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Has a 41% score on rotten tomatoes tho?
That's about right. It might actually be worse than that. I went into it with high hopes and it was honestly not very good. At least it's not what it should have been. I think Scarlett did the best she could, but poor direction and poor writing made her character nothing like the Major.

That's about right. It might actually be worse than that. I went into it with high hopes and it was honestly not very good. At least it's not what it should have been. I think Scarlett did the best she could, but poor direction and poor writing made her character nothing like the Major.
Everything I've read on it,just made it seem like a generic action movie with the pretense of thematic complexity. Then the twist,which is them justifying the whitewashing complaint,which is just going to throw oil on to that fire.

I loved Akame Ga Kill.  It made a few missteps; with a few changes it could have been exceptional. But I appreciate it very much for its concept and what it was trying to do.  I think most video game fans will identify with it, too.  Considering much of the story is based around exclusive loot weapons, armors, and trinkets as well as unique fantasy characters.  The show was better than the sum of its parts. 

Maybe it was an April Fool's joke for today, but last night it checked out just fine, so benefit...ME! :D

Hyouka_dance.gif

Everything I've read on it,just made it seem like a generic action movie with the pretense of thematic complexity. Then the twist,which is them justifying the whitewashing complaint,which is just going to throw oil on to that fire.
The twist was awful and made it whitewashing. They shouldn't have had that in the movie.

It was pretty generic though. It's a very pretty movie with some scenes from the movie recreated and stitched together just cuz they could.

So, when I go to order Akame Ga Kill it says $50. But then when I get to the final page it's saying $181.98. Is it likely that Sentai will price correct this after I order?

Gives me hope that the Amagi and even GATE sets will go down in price eventually. I bought Beyond the Boundary PBS as a blind buy for $80 and while I liked the show and the extras, it was asking a lot for a 13 episode series that eventually went on sale for $45.

I hate how good of a deal that is now I am broke but I had to :|

otA73pO.png

In other news wanted to mention the service VRV. I am not sure if it has been mentioned here but my Crunchyroll subscription comes to an end in April and they sent out notifications about the new service. 

For $9.99 a month you get the Following

Crunchyroll premium  ($6.95/mo)

Funimation Now Premium ($5.99/mo)

RoosterTeeth First Premium ($4.99/mo)

Cartoon Hangover Premium ($2.99/mo)

Geek & Sundry Premium ($2.49/mo)

Nerdist Premium ($2.49/mo)

Mondo Premium ($2.99/mo)

Tested Premium ($3.99/mo)

I kinda wanted to get funimation again but couldn't justify it having crunchyroll as well 

I was paying the $60 a year for crunchy and funimation now is $6 a month so this is slightly cheaper and its an all in one app plus some extras, Like the RoosterTeeth thing is a nice bonus. I am trying out the 7day trial but will wait till my crunchyroll actually lapses to switch.  If you want to subscribe to at least 2 of these service you should just do the $9.99 deal since it'll come out to the same cost.

If you are a Attack on Titan fan the simulcast will be available to no premium members on VRV with ads at the same time as premium users so that too is a bonus. 

I hate how good of a deal that is now I am broke but I had to :|

otA73pO.png

In other news wanted to mention the service VRV. I am not sure if it has been mentioned here but my Crunchyroll subscription comes to an end in April and they sent out notifications about the new service.

For $9.99 a month you get the Following

Crunchyroll premium ($6.95/mo)

Funimation Now Premium ($5.99/mo)

RoosterTeeth First Premium ($4.99/mo)

Cartoon Hangover Premium ($2.99/mo)

Geek & Sundry Premium ($2.49/mo)

Nerdist Premium ($2.49/mo)

Mondo Premium ($2.99/mo)

Tested Premium ($3.99/mo)

I kinda wanted to get funimation again but couldn't justify it having crunchyroll as well

I was paying the $60 a year for crunchy and funimation now is $6 a month so this is slightly cheaper and its an all in one app plus some extras, Like the RoosterTeeth thing is a nice bonus. I am trying out the 7day trial but will wait till my crunchyroll actually lapses to switch. If you want to subscribe to at least 2 of these service you should just do the $9.99 deal since it'll come out to the same cost.

If you are a Attack on Titan fan the simulcast will be available to no premium members on VRV with ads at the same time as premium users so that too is a bonus.
it should be noted that a number of shows are missing for VRV last time I checked including one piece.

fairy tail was missing, but that was recently added with all episodes in english and japanese for free in general on VRV.

you can also link your crunchy account to VRV.

once they get their apps more figured out I will likely switch my funi to VRV, but as it stands I can't use VRV on my PS3, my Roku Stick, or even on PC well (though the pc at least has a beta client now)

thus no reason for me to sub as those are my main ways to stream anime.

Good points I haven't checked through the entire library, but any idea if connecting your vrv works in reverse, I can't tell since I'm still crunchyroll premium but if it did that would at least solve for the missing shows from crunchy unfortunately at this time no other service can actually be linked up so anything it's missing from funimation cannot be fixed this way if at all.

Vrv still seems quite beta overall but the concept seems good and the price is good. So with time it should be a no brainier​ to switch from crunchy and funi to this single service

I just noticed that the Fairy Tail collections are all cheap on Amazon.  Collections one through six are $20.99 to $27.49 each.   I still have to pick up 6 & 7 so I bought collection 6 for $24.99.

Anyone have any input on if the Stand Alone Complex blurays are bad even if I only plan to watch the dub?

Are the DVD's the version to get?

Anyone have any input on if the Stand Alone Complex blurays are bad even if I only plan to watch the dub?

Are the DVD's the version to get?
It's doable. But the release is just really bad all around. There is a bit of screwed up audio in the dub in a few episodes. If I only cared about the dub I'd buy them but only if they were super cheap, like sub $20. Any more than that is a waste and you should get the Korean releases instead, which are region free and much superior.

https://kimchidvd.com/en/20946/v.kimchi?searchCnd=eng_title&searchWrd=ghost%20in%20the%20shell

https://kimchidvd.com/en/20947/v.kimchi?searchCnd=eng_title&searchWrd=ghost%20in%20the%20shell

you people hating the GiTS movie are simply wrong. its a faithful adaptation of the series. i dont mean its a clone carbon copy of the first movie, but what i mean is, it is very very clear the folks who made the movie actually spent time with the movie and even parts of the 2 seasons series. 

SOME MILD SPOILERS WILL FOLLOW!!!!

yes it takes some liberties with things, but this movie was never going to be a line by line copy of the original movie. this was quite literally going to be GiTS in live action revived for the west. and that it is does a wonderful job. it has some deep philosophical points especially about the ethics of advancing technology and are we more than just a collection of memories? Major even suffers a moral crisis over this. to say there is no deep plot buried within this movie is a lie. its fitting with many of the plots of the series that this movie is based off of. theres really no way any actual fan of the series can say this was a poorly done GiTS movie unless said fan is a weaboo of the highest caliber. 

theres also several scenes that were ripped straight out of the first movie.

im also not 100% sure without double checking it, but i am fairly certain the childrens song at the beginning is the same childrens song the tachikomas sing at the end of season 2.

also Batou gets shown with his love for dogs especially the basset hound....which if memory serves right, thats more of a movie 2 thing. so  clearly these people who made the movie SPENT TIME ON THE WHOLE SERIES!!!

Togusa also gets his special gun and they even make a point of saying he is not a cyborg....which given how little screen time he gets is again proof the makers of this movie spent time with the series, trying not mangle it all the while trying not to make this a complete carbon copy of what is already been released.

the plot is also coherent. Batou gets a cool back story for some things. the CGI is really well done. and the action scenes are done good too. theres nothing bad about the acting either. the only real complaint one can have is:

1. no tachikomas

2. its heavily focused on Batou and Major.

however concerning point 1....tachikomas are season 1 and later.....and batou and major have always been the stars of the first two movies. yes i would have loved for some of the rest of section 9 to shine and Aramaki at least shines some. but the movies were never truly about section 9. they were always about Major and her quest to figure out what a ghost is. and quite frankly this movie is also about her quest to figure out what a ghost is. unlike the anime Scarlet is unsure of her role in this life and her origin story is a bit different....but really theres nothing wrong with this version and a sequel could be quite fun to see.

but nope....trolls will hate because the movie is whitewashed....which is ironic because the cast is pretty  damn diverse in this movie. people can also explain that will confuse newcomers....the first anime movie was also a bit confusing the first time you watch it as well. in this regard the GiTS movie doesnt spoon feed the audience all the answers either, much like the series it is based off of. also Major in the anime is white as hell in appearance and most of the cast of characters in that anime which have really detailed faces, do not look asian at all. so whitewashing the cast? yeah okay. sure whatever. 

if you are a fan of the series....this movie is for you, unless you are a weeboo that can only watch subtitled anime, and skip all filler, and hate anything that isnt manga canon. 

Well, it is pretty directly related to a major anime property. And while there aren't going to be any deals related to it until it comes out on home video, this is the anime thread, where discussions of anime frequently occur.

According to the box office, The Ghost in the Shell live action film does not seem to be doing all that well financially. It still hasn't opened in China, so that's still a pretty big wild-card. China has traditionally had a taste for Western-developed block-busters that place style over substance. So it could do pretty well in that market.

For my part, I knew I wasn't going to see the film when I heard that it didn't address the topic of full-cyborg bodies. Is this true? Does the live action film honestly not show some of the characters as having cyber-brains? That was a major point of the anime, and part of the reason why the question of what defines humanity was so central to its theme.

From everything I heard from the pre-release hype, I knew that it wasn't going to be for me. Focusing on the Major's backstory is a mistake. The anime rarely ever does this. Stand Alone Complex only devoted about one episode to it out of two seasons, and there was exactly zero conspiracy or mystery involved. Just a very simple, human story about two people going through a difficult time.

2 points to be made 1 I know you mentioned spoilers ahead but using an actual spoiler [ ] would be appreciated, keywords are bound to pop out and people are going to be disappointed when they find out that Darth Vader is actually lukes father when they may have planned on viewing the film.

Another point I decided to pass on the film when they casted Scarlet as lead not because she's white but because I cannot stand her. I may end up watching it when it inevitably ends up in a dollar bin.
Anyways From what I have heard if you can sever any connection to the anime and just look at it visually it's pretty good if you look at it substunasly it's garbage as a GITS movie.

Let me mention I skipped your review because I don't want any spoilers (gotta wait for the dollar bin after all) to it as an actually film even if it's the next last Airbender.

Anyone's Sentai purchase ship yet? 

Im waiting on it as well as my Rightstuf purchase since I decided to get Angle Beats Bluray which was OOS during the Big RS sale. 

Just got a shipping confirmation today in the morning and says it will be delivered by the 7th of April which is tomorrow. Huh go figure

Edit: just got a text from the wife and said "you got a package" yup its from sentai shipped by rightstuf.

No shipping confirmation from sentai yet but looks like rightstuf sent out my package without angle beats so Ill be getting that which is cool.

EDIT: well my sentai package shipped and it's also gonna show up the 8th so sooner than my RS package.

Anyone's Sentai purchase ship yet?

Im waiting on it as well as my Rightstuf purchase since I decided to get Angle Beats Bluray which was OOS during the Big RS sale.
I got mine shipped. Expected April 8th. I can't believe it was that cheap. Excited to receive it.

bread's done
Back