Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Lupin III Part 4 Finale - Not the best Lupin series but I liked it. Wish there was more. Jigen is my boy, and Fujiko will always be my anime waifu.

Code Geass - I was drunk when I watched the finale. I came home one night and binged on 8 episodes with a couple glasses of Jameson. So I had to rewatch the last 2 episodes without an inebriated impression. This show really was entertaining. As silly as it got with the mind games it was a blast. It really reminded me of Death Note. All the "adults" are idiots and the high schoolers are running the world. While I hated the CLAMP art style I liked the mechs and the animation during the key battles. At the end I was getting a little confused with what allegiance lied with each character. It was all over the place. With so much betrayal and politics going on in the last few episodes it did get a bit heavy handed. With that said I liked the way it ended. I will recommend this show to others.

Rakugo - The reason why the main show is set in a flashback is because the art of Rakugo is almost lost in Japan. It's about understanding loss of cultural. I think we will get a season 2 in time. Also if you notice the "present story" in the first episode isn't anywhere near even 2010. The first episode must've taken place in the 80's or 90's. I could be wrong but that's my perception of the timeline. Considering the age of the characters and the timeline of the flashback being in the 40's - 50's maybe even 60's near the end.
Yay another Code Geass fan! Agree the first episode of Rakugo is early...the flashback is pre & post-WW1 or 2? so the current time is around where you mentioned. I'm not saying there's necessarily anything wrong with having a flashback, but man, it feels like it could have been done better. Still a big fan of the show though. I love these shows where I learn about cultural specific things and they are done well. While not quite the same, Shion no Ou and Chihayafuru bring to light two games that are played that I'd never heard about until then nor understood. Loved both.

Haha! Yeah OK, whatever... guess that's why it only has an Excellent rating on ANN, and a ranking of 438 out of 4900. Yep, everyone thinks it's pretty boring. I better dump my DVD box sets, and fast! :p
Your right! Arbitrary rankings are the way to judge the quality of a show(especially on a 'wonderful' site like MAL) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't like Blood+ that much. I mean, it's ok to watch, but there are better things to watch.

blood+ is better than blood the last vampire, but takes about 10 eps or so to really get going. after that it is a fine watch but not amazing.

Blood+'s first 12 episodes are meh and boring, next 12 ramp things up a LOT, next 12 are still good but not quite AS good, and the final 12 is under heavy YMMV.

Heh, I loved Blood+, it's still in my Top Twenty... there was no place in the series I was bored - you youngsters just have too many issues with ADD, I suppose... :mrgreen: It would be even more awesom-er if it would get a Blu-ray release, but that will never happen...

It's pretty damn boring if your looking for any sort of thematic depth. It was awesome a 50 episode show that didn't have enough content to fill that length;nor were the characters strong enough to carry that.

Haha! Yeah OK, whatever... guess that's why it only has an Excellent rating on ANN, and a ranking of 438 out of 4900. Yep, everyone thinks it's pretty boring. I better dump my DVD box sets, and fast! :p
well its too early for me to tell if im going to like the anime or not. im barely on ep 7 ..

as far is who thinks its great/good/okay - boring well its different strokes for different folks

every one has a different taste of anime. its like ice cream so many different flavors not everyone likes vanilla or chocolate

but i will watch Bloob+ to the end good or bad

Just finished season 1 (R1?) of Code Geass. Enjoyed it, though not on the same level as I did with Death Note. Whoever said this was DN meets Gundam was spot-on :D

Now...do I watch R2? I've been eyeing Your Lie in April for the past few months. Is it soul-sapping? I would prefer something upbeat overall (a few down moments are OK in between) since I watch anime on my morning and afternoon commutes.

Just waiting for Erased to hurry and finish so I can binge watch it!

EDIT: if anyone is still having trouble viewing Fandom Post, you can contact them at [contact @ chrisbeveridge dot net]

Just finished season 1 (R1?) of Code Geass. Enjoyed it, though not on the same level as I did with Death Note. Whoever said this was DN meets Gundam was spot-on :D

Now...do I watch R2? I've been eyeing Your Lie in April for the past few months. Is it soul-sapping? I would prefer something upbeat overall (a few down moments are OK in between) since I watch anime on my morning and afternoon commutes.

Just waiting for Erased to hurry and finish so I can binge watch it!

EDIT: if anyone is still having trouble viewing Fandom Post, you can contact them at [contact @ chrisbeveridge dot net]
Your Lie in April is....a little soul sapping I'd say. Finish up Code Geass and then watch Binbougami ga! for a pick me up before going into YLA.

such a good anime. first music base anime, if u want another music genre i suggest White Album 2 ..
Yeah and after White Album 2, don't think that White Album 1 is as good, it's not. It's a bit more on the depressing side and you will definitely hate someone in the show lol.

Just finished "Your Lie in April." Amazing. Expect to cry. I did.
Yes, I also just finished this last weekend - very sad, but it's now one of my all-time favorites. Might have even pushed Blood+ down my list a slot, lol...

I especially love the classical music anime genre - if you wish to check out other classical music themed anime that's not as heavy as Your Lie in April, try Nodame Cantabile or La Corda D'Oro - much lighter and more humorous romcom series.

I completely forgot I promised @Rodimus that I would watch Jojo next. Can someone confirm the official title I need to search for?
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. But there's two series with the same name. One that ran in 2000, not that one. The newer one from 2012 is what you want.

What's up with all the Your Lie in April talk suddenly? Was it added to Netflix recently or something? While the ending is a tear jerker it's hardly a downer. You walk away feeling you should cherish the ones you love and the time you have with them. It's mixed emotions and there's not too many rom/com/drama anime like this.

Yeah and after White Album 2, don't think that White Album 1 is as good, it's not. It's a bit more on the depressing side and you will definitely hate someone in the show lol.
i skip White Album 1 :D .. white album 2 was sad and like u mention one character really got on my nerve but still was a good series. i also just finished Kids on the Slope, it was good but not as good as the the other two

I completely forgot I promised @Rodimus that I would watch Jojo next. Can someone confirm the official title I need to search for?
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. But there's two series with the same name. One that ran in 2000, not that one. The newer one from 2012 is what you want.
are u speaking of JoJos Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders ? that started in 2014

the 2012 version would be this one i think http://myanimelist.net/anime/14719/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_TV

are u speaking of JoJos Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders ? that started in 2014

the 2012 version would be this one i think http://myanimelist.net/anime/14719/JoJo_no_Kimyou_na_Bouken_TV
I suggest starting from the beginning and not to skip to Stardust Crusaders. While the plot of Phantom Blood can seem dated (it was written back in the 80's) I say just watch it for campy factor. Part 2 (Battle Tendency) is amazing. That is a must watch and you will appreciate Stardust Crusaders even more knowing the history of Johnathon and Dio.

But if you really want to get into Stardust Crusaders quickly they did make movies of the first two parts.

I suggest starting from the beginning and not to skip to Stardust Crusaders. While the plot of Phantom Blood can seem dated (it was written back in the 80's) I say just watch it for campy factor. Part 2 (Battle Tendency) is amazing. That is a must watch and you will appreciate Stardust Crusaders even more knowing the history of Johnathon and Dio.

But if you really want to get into Stardust Crusaders quickly they did make movies of the first two parts.
i skip everything and went straight to Stardust Crusaders. but stop watching it a few episodes into it ..one day i would finish it

What's up with all the Your Lie in April talk suddenly? Was it added to Netflix recently or something? While the ending is a tear jerker it's hardly a downer. You walk away feeling you should cherish the ones you love and the time you have with them. It's mixed emotions and there's not too many rom/com/drama anime like this.
Yes, it's been on Netflix for a while now, and the first cour of the series releases on Blu-ray in a little over a week - I pre-ordered my two sets Day 1... But, it's an Aniplex of America title at $130 per cour - so no one in this forum would possibly be interested in that, lol... ;)

Has anyone been watching the current Gundam show? I like how it's got some grit and darkness to it. Doesn't hold back any punches. Also, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash has been growing on me like a fungus. I don't know what to think about it other than it makes me hope there's a season 2. I definitely didn't feel that way after the first several episodes. The slow progression just tortures me with "ok, so what's going to happen next? you are soooooooooo slow...." like it's dribbling little bits to you tempting you to keep watching. 

If I watched just the movies...would I be missing out on a lot, or is there a lot of fluff in the regular episodes?

If I watched just the movies...would I be missing out on a lot, or is there a lot of fluff in the regular episodes?
I haven't seen the movies so I'm not too sure. If I where to guess I'd say the first movie would be fine since part 1 is waaaay shorter than part 2. I strongly suggest to watch part 2 all the way. i would imagine a lot of it would be cut.

@starkiller - I have been watching Gundam IBO. I like it and I'm picky about my Gundams. I haven't seen the latest episode but I like where it's going. Mikazuki with his mini harem going on is entertaining.

I haven't seen the movies so I'm not too sure. If I where to guess I'd say the first movie would be fine since part 1 is waaaay shorter than part 2. I strongly suggest to watch part 2 all the way. i would imagine a lot of it would be cut.

@starkiller - I have been watching Gundam IBO. I like it and I'm picky about my Gundams. I haven't seen the latest episode but I like where it's going. Mikazuki with his mini harem going on is entertaining.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood?

They're listed under CR as JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Re-edited. And there's 3 movies, not 2 like I originally thought. I guess the second part got chopped up into 2.

Finally, they subbed Pokémon XY&Z Episode 16 so I can actually watch it without it skipping every 5 minutes. Also get to see Serena's Performance in its proper context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oly6qH83FWI

Has anyone been watching the current Gundam show? I like how it's got some grit and darkness to it. Doesn't hold back any punches. Also, Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash has been growing on me like a fungus. I don't know what to think about it other than it makes me hope there's a season 2. I definitely didn't feel that way after the first several episodes. The slow progression just tortures me with "ok, so what's going to happen next? you are soooooooooo slow...." like it's dribbling little bits to you tempting you to keep watching.
I am embarrassed to say I haven't kept up with the show and am still at Episode 7. Especially disgraceful since Gundam as a whole is my #1 anime.

If I can manage to get up to speed, I'll probably check out Lupin III since that's another show I'm ashamed I haven't watched yet.

Yes and thankfully they haven't spent much time on the harem aspect. It's really been a lot more about character and plot development, which is why I'm enjoying this show so much. Really keen on the next episode...I hope there's a season 2. Would love to follow these characters more.

Yes and thankfully they haven't spent much time on the harem aspect. It's really been a lot more about character and plot development, which is why I'm enjoying this show so much. Really keen on the next episode...I hope there's a season 2. Would love to follow these characters more.
I caught up. I'm going into spoiler mode now:

They just killed off half the crew in one episode. I was not expecting that. Mikazuki pulverizing Carta without mercy was awesome. I love his club/saw weapon. He just knocks the shit out of everyone with that beast. fuck sword play and blasters, I just fuck you up with a big chunk of metal.

I caught up. I'm going into spoiler mode now:

They just killed off half the crew in one episode. I was not expecting that. Mikazuki pulverizing Carta without mercy was awesome. I love his club/saw weapon. He just knocks the shit out of everyone with that beast. fuck sword play and blasters, I just fuck you up with a big chunk of metal.
Yup and that's why it started kicking into awesome mode. It's a no holds barred show at this point. This next week will be great because of so many "wrap up" episodes going on. Will make or break my final ratings on a lot of shows.

Yeah, we are coming to a close on this season. Lupin finished so I'm waiting on Erased and Rakugo.

I'm also wathcing Girls Beyond the Wasteland, Assassination Classroom & Dagashi Kashi. But that's just anime. I still need to catch up with a bunch of other shows.

Loaded "Your Lie In April" on my phone since I can't watch crunchyroll on my phone during my commute. Only two episodes in but I can tell I'm going to like this!

Yeah, we are coming to a close on this season. Lupin finished so I'm waiting on Erased and Rakugo.

I'm also wathcing Girls Beyond the Wasteland, Assassination Classroom & Dagashi Kashi. But that's just anime. I still need to catch up with a bunch of other shows.
How is Girls Beyond the Wasteland?

How is Girls Beyond the Wasteland?
It's about as cliched as a high school rom/com gets. It does nothing new but it's not bad. It's about a high school club making a video game with a little romance tension thrown in. But if you're looking for something that has a developing romance do not look here. I'm 1 episode away from the finale and I can safely say no one is hooking up. But I'm a sucker for these kinda shows. It's a guilty pleasure.

It's about as cliched as a high school rom/com gets. It does nothing new but it's not bad. It's about a high school club making a video game with a little romance tension thrown in. But if you're looking for something that has a developing romance do not look here. I'm 1 episode away from the finale and I can safely say no one is hooking up. But I'm a sucker for these kinda shows. It's a guilty pleasure.
That's what I suspected when I saw it. I'll pass. I've had enough of those guilty pleasures inadvertently lol. Once you get through some of your "plan to watch", you should give either Aldnoah.Zero or Black Lagoon a whirl since you don't have many action-oriented shows on that list. Aldnoah.Zero has an amazing sound track, so it's worth watching for that alone :) Very eager for your impressions on Chihayafuru. Might re-watch it soon.

That's what I suspected when I saw it. I'll pass. I've had enough of those guilty pleasures inadvertently lol. Once you get through some of your "plan to watch", you should give either Aldnoah.Zero or Black Lagoon a whirl since you don't have many action-oriented shows on that list. Aldnoah.Zero has an amazing sound track, so it's worth watching for that alone :) Very eager for your impressions on Chihayafuru. Might re-watch it soon.
aldnoah and black lagoon in the same statement...

that is like saying you should either have a bag of dog poop (in a very fancy bag) or a double bacon cheeseburger for lunch @_@

aldnoah was promising for three episodes (and then the writing that Gen Urobuchi ran out....) and then bad for four and then just downright awful for the rest of it @_@.

and if you want the sound track just watch attack on titan, it's by the same guy and feels like a remix album from attack on titan.

alternatively just wait a week and a half and watch Attack on Trains aka Koutetsujou no Kabaneri which is done by the attack on titan people just without the attack on titan creator which will likely have a very similar sounding soundtrack as well.

for the record I am not saying the soundtrack is bad, I actually really like the guys music, but it's not worth watching that train wreck to hear lol.

Black lagoon though is awesome. It's a great B grade hollywood action flick for the first bit :p

Black Lagoon is fun,though it does have it's head up it's ass with the godawful monologues(Rei Hiroe can't write dialogue at all). It tried to be this character-study at points,but the writing is just terrible.

Man Zulu has some hate for Aldnoah. I thought it was great. Also, I don't understand the boner people have for AoT soundtrack, it never drew me in like A-Z did. Black Lagoon is fantastic too, different strokes for different folks. If you want the classic that everyone loves, go Black Lagoon. I enjoyed A-Z's characters and plot, which drew me in quite a bit.

A;dnoah had promise,but it's dragged do by a Gary-Stu main character and some really terrible writing like with the whole shock value ending to the first cour,and none of it having any consequence when the second cour started. Just another series where they had a mediocre story,so they bought Gen in to write some episodes to build hype.

Man Zulu has some hate for Aldnoah. I thought it was great. Also, I don't understand the boner people have for AoT soundtrack, it never drew me in like A-Z did. Black Lagoon is fantastic too, different strokes for different folks. If you want the classic that everyone loves, go Black Lagoon. I enjoyed A-Z's characters and plot, which drew me in quite a bit.
Aldnoah has good visuals and good sound direction but the overall story and characters are just horrid. most of the characters actions are done for shock value instead of any sort of intelligent value and the plot overall is just horrid.

Generic war setting, with what could be interesting villain of the week who despite having a tech difference of basically current day tech vs an army from 1850 still constantly loses because they use pilots with IQs around 20.

Then you also have the main character who I just called Mr. Emotionless the whole time who goes from a trainee piloting a training robot to the only damn person who can do anything in battle at all. I don't hate the gary-stu type but when you start off by pretending you will use a squad based combat don't just turn around and make anyone who isn't Mr. Emotionless completely useless, especially since half the time he just says something that should have been obvious to everyone (and the other half of the time he makes giant ass pulls that only make sense if he designed the enemy robot :p)

Most of the rest of the cast lack any real depth to them, they have one thing going for them and that is really it.

You have miss I hate anyone that isn't born on earth so even though I liked you and though you were great once I learned where you were born I need to kill you.

You have Mr. I was skilled but when ever I have a chance to take away a moment from Mr. Emotionless I am gonna just have a mental breakdown because I can't get over the past. (Yes I know PTSD is a real thing but man I got tired of seeing it over and over and over agian)

You have the princess that does little more than be a princess.

you have the most useless assistant to a princess ever.

and the only enemy that really had any depth was slane or whatever his name was who quickly has any sort of depth removed by the second half of the first season and just becomes an absolute tool.

Like I said the initial set up wasn't bad the first few episodes where Gen was writing stuff actually tried to not have Mr. Emtionless do everything and actually had the whole cast trying to do stuff, but right after that they just lose any sort of depth. It's kind of like he wrote a few notes and they just ran with them without thinking about anything, like it was written like a bad fanfic. The funniest part is Gen had outlined the rest of the story, and they decided that over the top twists were much better than a well laid out plot as the end point of season one is nothing like what Gen had laid out.

I mean it's fine if you enjoy it. I enjoy plenty of stuff that others don't consider to have good plots or characters such as Sword Art Online. But in this case nearly everything about the cast and plot rubbed me the wrong way. It's a story that if I ignore the potential in the first couple episodes that overall is likely slightly above average, but when looking at what it could have been it's just not good at all.

Caught up with Haikyu!!! I was literary leaning forward out of my chair during the last 5 minutes of this weeks episode. I had to re watch the last set because it was so awesome. Beautiful animation.

Funny how an anime about high school volleyball can be animated so well, and a property like Dragon Ball is handled like hot garbage.

You seem to have a lot more insight into the process behind it's creation, which may be what drives part of your feelings towards the show. I have no concept of what it could have been, just what it was. Maybe the directing of the shots, audio and whatever the gary-stu type is (which I'll infer to be how the protagonist acts) made it all work for me.
It became more of a game of "how is he going to do it this time" rather than wondering whether it would happen or not, which I found fun. The ending was a complete shocker to me...I was pretty annoyed that it was all going to end like that until I heard about a second season.
I do like SAO more though, so I'll jump in your boat that some folks hate too ;)

On a different topic, I just re-watched Shion no Ou. Man that show rocks. I thought I had it on DVD and just realized it never got a release here. Cross my fingers that one day it'll pop up over here. Didn't realize Romi Park was in it until I watched again. I never paid enough attention to distinguish back then.

Caught up with Haikyu!!! I was literary leaning forward out of my chair during the last 5 minutes of this weeks episode. I had to re watch the last set because it was so awesome. Beautiful animation.

Funny how an anime about high school volleyball can be animated so well, and a property like Dragon Ball is handled like hot garbage.
Hm that show is good huh? It's on Crunchy so I'll give it a shot.

Do you like sports anime? If so this is a good one. The show seems to be wrapping up next season so getting in now might be a good idea

Yowamushi Pedal is another amazing sports anime that finished up recently. I loved the character designs. Everyone had a different look. A lot of time in these shows with a lot of character they tend to look too similar but with minor things like hair styles, glasses, etc. But in Yowamushi everyone has their own distinct look.

You seem to have a lot more insight into the process behind it's creation, which may be what drives part of your feelings towards the show. I have no concept of what it could have been, just what it was. Maybe the directing of the shots, audio and whatever the gary-stu type is (which I'll infer to be how the protagonist acts) made it all work for me.
It became more of a game of "how is he going to do it this time" rather than wondering whether it would happen or not, which I found fun. The ending was a complete shocker to me...I was pretty annoyed that it was all going to end like that until I heard about a second season.
I do like SAO more though, so I'll jump in your boat that some folks hate too ;)

On a different topic, I just re-watched Shion no Ou. Man that show rocks. I thought I had it on DVD and just realized it never got a release here. Cross my fingers that one day it'll pop up over here. Didn't realize Romi Park was in it until I watched again. I never paid enough attention to distinguish back then.
my info about the creation came after watching it as at episode 4 I was wondering what the heck had happened to the writing and by episode 5 I set out to find out what was different because it clearly wasn't by the same person.

It actually had similar feelings enacted in me that most Ecchi shows do.

an interesting set up with an interesting world only to do almost nothing with it besides flash boobs and panties (though in this case it was mechs and random anger instead :p)

the volleyball show is pretty good, well animated, somewhat generic plot and characters if you watch sports shows regularly but if you don't you should like the characters.

I am always a bit bitter at it though as I found Baby Steps to be way more interesting but since baby steps had a budget that competed with dragon ball super it didn't get nearly as much of a following and I might not get more of it :(

I am always a bit bitter at it though as I found Baby Steps to be way more interesting but since baby steps had a budget that competed with dragon ball super it didn't get nearly as much of a following and I might not get more of it :(
Baby Steps was great. I hope we get a season 3. I generally avoid the "sports" anime because they seem to deviate from logic, so I'll give Haikyu and Pedal a shot.

Baby Steps was great. I hope we get a season 3. I generally avoid the "sports" anime because they seem to deviate from logic, so I'll give Haikyu and Pedal a shot.
Haikyu and Pedal are more realistic in terms of portraying a real sport. Nobody has crazy super powers. Both have good quality animation and soundtracks.

My problem with sports anime is I usually dislike the MC. They're always a combo of being either brash, load, naive or annoying. But Pedal has a very likable MC. You root for the little guy all the way. Haikyu's MC is okay but still a little in-your-face.

I got a few episodes into Baby Steps. I plan on coming back to it.

Haikyu and Pedal are more realistic in terms of a sport anime. Nobody has crazy super powers. Both have good quality animation and soundtracks.

My problem with sports anime is I usually dislike the MC. They're always a combo of being either brash, load, naive or annoying. But Pedal has a very likable MC. You root for the little guy all the way. Haikyu's MC is okay but still a little in-your-face.

I got a few episodes into Baby Steps. I plan on coming back to it.
I'd say Ping Pong the animation is the realistic sports anime. It really goes into why these guys play the sport and what it means to them. The characters actually have some depth to them instead of just being anime archetypes.

Ping Pong is another good one..And unlike most sport anime it's rather short running at only 11 episodes as opposed the typical 50 - 100 episodes.

Just finished Your Lie In April and it was simply amazing. Not only was it a great story, but it was inspiring. I made the mistake of watching the final episodes on my subway ride home tonight and had to hold back the tears. Just a beautiful story.

I don't even know what to watch now...how do you follow that up?

Just finished Your Lie In April and it was simply amazing. Not only was it a great story, but it was inspiring. I made the mistake of watching the final episodes on my subway ride home tonight and had to hold back the tears. Just a beautiful story.

I don't even know what to watch now...how do you follow that up?
Depends...do you want to cry, laugh, or get revved up? lol

Cry: Clannad

Laugh/Entertaining: Skip Beat or Great Teacher Onizuka

Action: Full Metal Panic! (note that Fumoffu is all filler, but entertaining)

Also, your MAL vanished...wanted to check it to see what you've watched and it says it doesn't exist?

bread's done
Back