Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Working my way through Birdy the Mighty Decode & I My Me Strawberry Eggs.  Don't know if it's due to being tired of this season's simulcast shows, but really liking both shows so far(at ep. 7 of Birdy & ep. 4 of Strawberry Eggs).

Also wondering what I should do about a Amazon order I got today.  Ordered Koihime Muso Complete Collection, but got Nyan Koi Complete Collection(stickered as Koihime).  Wondering if I should just keep it or send it back, since there's a $20 difference between what I paid and what the cheapest copy is listed for.  Although it is getting an english dub re-release in September.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I finally got around to watching my Sailor Moon S discs. Hadn't seen the show since it aired on Toonami.

I had forgotten how screechy the dub was...

EDIT: Oh yea, before I forget. Ichigo's newest upgrade in Bleach looks so badass.

EDIT: Oh yea, before I forget. Ichigo's newest upgrade in Bleach looks so badass.
Even though we haven't seen much of his new Zanpakuto, yeah it looks cool. What really impressed me though was how Kubo
managed to connect Juha Bach and Zangetsu. For a plot line that had been built up throughout the entire manga, I was pleasantly surprised when Kubo put the last piece in place and we got to see the whole picture.

I read it in the magazine, but I have not read any of the chapters that were skipped in the print magazine. I enjoy One Piece, but nowhere near enough to own it.

I finished watching Soul Eater and it was a very fun show.

I'm now watching Eureka 7. I was on the fence about this show but it started to get really good at episode 15.

do you guys read one piece also?
Yeah I read One Piece but I think the Dressrosa Arc has been a snooze fest so far. It looks like things are picking up, but I'm still not that interested right now.

Honestly, I think Bleach and Naruto are far more enjoyable reads then One Piece at the moment. It might have something to do with Oda's health, but who knows.

I finished watching Soul Eater and it was a very fun show.
If you haven't read the Soul Eater manga yet, I'd suggest giving it a try. There's only one more chapter left before the series ends.

Yeah I read One Piece but I think the Dressrosa Arc has been a snooze fest so far. It looks like things are picking up, but I'm still not that interested right now.

Honestly, I think Bleach and Naruto are far more enjoyable reads then One Piece at the moment. It might have something to do with Oda's health, but who knows.

If you haven't read the Soul Eater manga yet, I'd suggest giving it a try. There's only one more chapter left before the series ends.
how serious is odas health concerns? the bleach storyline surprised me with ichigos mother.

I didn't know that and read the last chapter where Maka/Soul got that powerup! Guess there's not much after Asura though there needs to be more explanation about Shinigami and the 8 warriors

Bleach stopped being intriguing after Aizen. The backstory of Ichigo's mom and zanpaktou were kind of interesting though. Thought she would have been a human with fullbring.

Naruto just needs to end, hopefully Kishi doesn't make it bland.

The last One Piece chapter brought high hopes especially if everyone's right about the "twist".

HnI, I really hope Ippo doesn't win and ends up fighting to either a draw or loses by decision in next fight.

Kenichi, some "good guy" weapon users need to show up to bring some change.

FT, not sure what else can happen since tt was introduced. I thought this would be better than Rave but it really seems like it'll be ending maybe by the end of the year.

There's lots of other series I need to catch up on but haven't felt like marathoning through them.

I just want HxH back but I guess Togashi is grinding away in DQ X on the Wii U.

how serious is odas health concerns? the bleach storyline surprised me with ichigos mother.
I don't really know any specifics, but he has had to take breaks multiple times over the last couple months.

I just want HxH back but I guess Togashi is grinding away in DQ X on the Wii U.
If you need a HxH fix, why not watch the anime that's airing? I'm enjoying finally getting to see the Chimera Ant Arc in animated form.

So Chihayafuru 2 just ended yesterday. I thought it was the perfect way to end season 2, and it continues to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really hope Madhouse and the Chihayafuru team get to do a season 3.

So after watching the final episode yesterday and after seeing someone on Twitter sell a Yuru Yuri tshirt that he designed, I got the idea to design my own tshirt based on the Mizusawa High School Karuta Club shirts that the team wears in the anime.

It took me about four hours to design and the tshirt only gets made if 50 shirts are reserved. So if anyone is interested in buying their own Mizusawa High School Karuta club shirt, I would really appreciate it (I want to own one too)!

http://teespring.com/chihayafuru

So Chihayafuru 2 just ended yesterday. I thought it was the perfect way to end season 2, and it continues to be one of my favorite shows ever. I really hope Madhouse and the Chihayafuru team get to do a season 3.

So after watching the final episode yesterday and after seeing someone on Twitter sell a Yuru Yuri tshirt that he designed, I got the idea to design my own tshirt based on the Mizusawa High School Karuta Club shirts that the team wears in the anime.

It took me about four hours to design and the tshirt only gets made if 50 shirts are reserved. So if anyone is interested in buying their own Mizusawa High School Karuta club shirt, I would really appreciate it (I want to own one too)!

http://teespring.com/chihayafuru
How are you able to pull something like this off without getting sued? Also, will you be making any money off this?

How are you able to pull something like this off without getting sued? Also, will you be making any money off this?
All of the proceeds will be used to purchase official Chihayafuru merchandise that I will give away as prizes to the people who buy shirts through a random drawing, so no — I will personally gain nothing from this beside the creation of the shirt itself, which I have to pay for myself to get one, haha.

An official version of this shirt doesn't exist and I'm not making any money off of this (I'm actually losing money), so I don't see the problem. Also, suing is pretty extreme, haha. If the creators were to do anything, they'd just tell me to take it down, but I don't see any harm in letting this exist. You should also keep in mind that even if an official version of this shirt was created, they'd only be selling it with their own local (Japanese) market in mind, whereas the people buying this shirt are mainly from the US and Europe where the show is unlicensed anyway.

Looks like Anime Expo started yesterday.  Aniplex announced that we'll be getting a DVD/BR release of Fate/Zero with an english dub.  Hopefully it'll be like Sword Art Online's prices and be a decent price.

Just looking at Sentai's announcements makes me wonder wtf is going on with them and maybe they ran out of money for new titles.  Their new announcements for acquired titles mentioned new re-releases for Divergence Eve & Yumeria(apparently the licenses went from ADV to Sentai).  Also that they got the rights to 11 Tatsunoko titles, although Gatchaman & Casshan were the only ones mentioned.  So apparently they're not spending that much money on new releases.

Although they didn't got into detail, but it seems like they like wasting materials for DVD/BRs.  Because they have Highschool of the Dead's OVA listed for a November release.  At this point it looks like they're going to waste DVD/BR materials on a release for a 15 minute OVA ....wtf?

It's not as though they have another season to package it with and unlike FUNimation, they don't repackage their sets every 6 months.

It's not as though they have another season to package it with and unlike FUNimation, they don't repackage their sets every 6 months.
Yeah, I know Sentai doesn't do that. But I figured when I saw the headline about it, that they'd do what is happening with Elfen Lied next month(bundling the OVA in with the rest of the show). So I figured they were going to re-release the first season of HOTD with the OVA included(it'd be a way to milk more money out for that 1st season dub). Then I saw they're going to release it on DVD/BR on it's own. Just seems like a waste of money to print a disc for a 15 OVA, even if it's really cheap.

Just out of curiousity, how is $113 decent for 7 episodes?  That's ridicculous even by 1995 standards when you paid $25 for 2 episodes on a VHS.
Edit:  $452 for 25 episodes?  Where do I NOT sign up?
Edit again:  I saw the dvd prices which aren't nearly as bad, in fact $50 for 7 episodes isn't that bad, but over twice that for a blu-ray?  SERIOUSLY?

RightStuf announced that they are acquiring Cat's Eye (about time somebody licensed it), Princess Nine, Sengoku Collection, Blessings of the Campenella, Hetalia Manga Volumes 4 and 5, and officially announced Gundam Unicorn.

Yeah, it's an aniplex release.  Same geniuses that released a show over 14 years old for $200 for the complete set.  And also the same people who brough out Gurren Lagann as a complete set for $900.  I stand corrected ROD is 10 years old.  I stand corrected they lowered the price of GL down to only $670. 

Finished watching Penguindrum. It was very interesting, though I think they went a little overboard with symbolism and left some things completely unexplainable. Some good analysis:

http://animeyume.com/blog/2011/12/26/trying-to-grasp-mawaru-penguindrum/

http://nopybot.com/2011/12/24/observations-in-mawaru-penguindrum-an-explanation-of-the-method-to-the-madness/

I think (major plot spoilers):

Shoma, Kanba, and Himari were always siblings, not a fake family created through magic. Shoma and Kanba died as children, and Himari is having trouble letting them go. Himari is not dying from a physical ailment, but rather she is emotionally coming apart. Ringo is a close friend of the family and is torn up over the loss of her childhood love, Shoma. The penguindrum is love between people, the penguin hat is a facet of Himari's personality, and the train is taking Shoma and Kanba to the afterlife. The story is about the brothers trying to save Himari from herself, with Shoma also trying to help Ringo, before moving on to the afterlife.

Decided to take advatange of the FYE 25% off coupon.   Bought...

Shuffle

Clannad

xxxHolic

Akikan

Strawberry Panic

Princess Jellyfish

Haruhi season 2

Suzuka

Also got Magic Knight Ray Earth 1 and 2 and Clannad After Story from another store.

Picked up the Black Butler Season 2 set in a lot a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try before re-selling it. I knew it was for yaoi fan girls but I figured I'd give it a shot.

10 minutes into Episode 1 and I am confused. The dick of a main character gouges out the maid's eye for no real reason and then three identical butlers tap dance while preparing the dinner table.

Did I mention the blonde kid is a dick?

TV sucks now so I hooked up Hulu Plus and noticed a shit ton of anime, 90% I have no clue about. So I'm looking for suggestions from my trusty animeCAG. I dont mind watching older stuff or anything dubbed. My only preference is I'd like to watch something short and sweet that both my wife and myself can enjoy. I'm not really up for the task of watching an epic 200+ episode series.

I've always been intrested in Kimba but I was curious if it's aged well. Also I noticed Tenchi Muyo on there and I remember enjoying it back in the Toonami days and from the OVAs I had as a kid.

Gankutsuou(a scifi take on The Count of Monte Cristo) 24 eps

Cross Game(a slice of life anime based around baseball)  50eps

The Slayers (a fantasy parody)

Kino's Journey 13eps

Baccano(About mobsters in 1920's New York,and told in a pulp fiction style of the story being told out of order) 16eps

Toradora(A very well done romantic comedy)  25eps

What anime was on the list? Do you prefer action, drama, comedy? How much perviness is acceptable?

Most anime series nowadays rarely go past 26 episodes. The only long-runners here in the US are Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Case Closed/Detective Conan, DBZ, Inuyasha, and YuYu Hakusho.

I second Slayers, but I will warn you that if you watch the whole series, it's 104 episodes.  Generally, Funimation has good dubs, so you shouldn't have a problem watching their stuff.  If you want an action-y show, I suggest buso renkin, it has pretty epic action, and it clocks in at only 26 episodes, so it's not terribly long.  The dub, though far from bad, did a terrible job of casting the female lead, though everyone else is decent to just fine.  You may or may not like Soul Eater.  To make your girlfriend happy, watch Fruits Basket.  It's very likely that you'll like it, as well, so don't worry.  I've shown the show to over 300 people including people who only like watching rated R movies, people who only like dragon ball z, and of course shoujo fans, and general anime fans, and only one person out of all of them did not like the show.  Kenichi is a pretty awesome show as well.  Another show she may like is His and Her Circumstances (I'd hope you'd like this, too, unless you have no soul, same with Fruits basket).  If you want something violent, High school of the dead is pretty good, but there's a LOT of fanservice.  Oh, yeah, Full Metal Panic.  No, it's not related to Full Metal Alchemist.  I also suggest Ah my goddess, but you may or may not like it.  It's one of my all time favorite animes, though.  (ah my goddess is kind of like Tenchi in a not really at all sort of way)  Chobits is also a very funny anime, it's pseudo-pervy (it's manga was written by a group of female artists famous for only drawing shoujo (girl) mangas, then writing their first shounen manga (chobits).  Alright, my last one is Princess Tutu, and don't let the super cute art fool you (like fruits basket), it's a very dark story.

What anime was on the list? Do you prefer action, drama, comedy? How much perviness is acceptable?

Most anime series nowadays rarely go past 26 episodes. The only long-runners here in the US are Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Case Closed/Detective Conan, DBZ, Inuyasha, and YuYu Hakusho.
There's alot, I can't list it all. It could be close to 200 diffrent series. Not a lot of movies, mainly TV shows. I guess I'd be drawn more torwards the action/drama stuff. As for boobies & butts a little is fine but if it's the main focus I probably wouldn't be intrested.

I think most of the shows have trailers so I'll run through all your suggestions. If there's anymore you guys could think of that'd be peachy too.

Gden - I don't mind girly stuff, but I did watch a little bit of Chobits back in college and it wasn't for me. I remember all my friends loving it but I just couldn't get into it. I'm familiar with Ah My Goddess too.

Funny thing is I start watching My Little Pony with my daughter, and it's really not that bad. Much more enjoyable than the mind-numbing drool of Dora and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Still, I wouldn't watch it on my own.

Another to add would be Black Lagoon,which has over the top action,and a crime drama. Do watch it dubbed if you check it out,since it's miles better than the sub version.

Heaven's Lost Property and Sekirei are really awesome anime, but heavy on the ecchi, especial the former. HLP is probably the most unabashedly perverted series ever and it's one of the reasons why it's so awesome.

Out of recently released stuff, Shakugan no Shana is pretty good, though it is 3 26-episode seasons. Fate/Stay Night is quite popular. Baka and Test is pretty funny. Sengoku Basara is pure hotblooded awesomeness. Steins:Gate is one of the best dramas ever. Last Exile and Samurai 7 are Gonzo's best shows. Soul Eater is crazy awesome. Clannad is pure drama. Yamada's First Time is basically American Pie with a female protagonist. Tower of Druaga is a good action show that plays with RPG tropes.

Full Metal Panic and Fullmetal Alchemist are both decently long (former has 1 26-episode season and 2 13-episode seasons, the latter has two different 50-episode anime) but massively popular. Sands of Destruction and Gungrave are two video game anime better than their source material. Case Closed and Sgt. Frog are episodic series that are good in short bursts. Tenchi Muyo is the Trope Codifier for most harem anime for a reason. Death Note is the most epic mental chess game ever. Highschool of the Dead is Walking Dead with more teenage schoolgirls (and associated fanservice). Heaven's Memo Pad, while not Death Note-level, is still quite good. Gunslinger Girl is has a depressing premise but still engaging. The Evangelion movies are required watching. School Rumble is a hilarious and goofy comedy. Aquarion is extremely cheesy with metric tons of sexual innuendo (such as the pilots having an orgasm whenever the combine mechs) but is still awesome.

Wondering is the Persona 4 anime worth watching? I've never played any of the games or anything, but they seem good to me.
I've been watching it and really enjoy it. I haven't played 4 either, but it does a great job IMO of combining the different aspects of the game (from my understanding of them at least, I've only played some of 3) into a cohesive show that doesn't feel like someone just cut the cutscenes into a full anime. I'd recommend it, so far it has been really good (I'm about a 8 episodes in) :D

I watched Persona 4 when I picked up Persona 4 Arena last year because I didn't know shit about any of the characters. I was pleasantly surprised by the show.

I have been watching Shakugan no Shana and while the first two seasons were decent, they weren't the super-awesome series everyone said.

Season 3 though? DAY-UM.

I have been watching Shakugan no Shana and while the first two seasons were decent, they weren't the super-awesome series everyone said.

Season 3 though? DAY-UM.
I thought S1 was the best, S2 was ok, OVA was fun, and then S3 was meh. I may need to watch S3 again. It felt like too much going on and I couldn't always understand the motives. Shana is a cool character.

I'm kind of tempted to get the first season of Shakugan no shana with it being on sale on amazon right now.  I'm somewhat mad that I didn't get it from best buy while it was on sale for $25 though.

So, I decided to check out an Internet Radio station dedicated to anime, since I was getting a little tired of listening to the FM Sports Talk station.

I had no idea there was a Japanese version of the "Kiss Me" song.

Just how many Japanese covers of American artists are there?

Been keeping up with recent Animes lately and watching dubs inbetween

I find it easier to keep up with animes this way.

The ones i enjoyed and am currently following are; Blood lad, gatchaman crowds and watamote.

Saw the first 2 eps of Uchoten kazoku(The eccentric family) but i dont know if i like it. Hopefully it progresses

also watched the first ep of  Dangan Ronpa. Whimpy/anime version of battle royale

I enjoyed it a lot, however, most of the other people who I've heard opinions from disagree.
It definitely has people that love or hate it, I quite enjoyed it. I read the manga a few months ago in like two sittings online then just been reading each one as it comes out now. They've got alot to pack into the second season.

I think I will start Attack on Titan and Btooom! now..

Most of the complaints I've seen were due to the rotoscoping animation(which didn't bug me that much) or the fact that the episodes were paced so slowly.
Yeah, I've definitely heard gripes about the animation style, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I think I will start Attack on Titan and Btooom! now..
Shingeki no Kyojin is reaaally good. One of my favourite animes. I've heard a lot of good things about Btooom! too.

Anyone else excited for the Lupin III vs. Detective Conan Movie? I've watched this teaser trailer about 20 times now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgV35w2_3Co

bread's done
Back