Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

No problem with sports anime (Yowapeda being one of my current favorites) Anyways, thanks. I'll give them a watch. And I forgot about Cross Game. That's another one I thought looked interesting.

No problem with sports anime (Yowapeda being one of my current favorites) Anyways, thanks. I'll give them a watch. And I forgot about Cross Game. That's another one I thought looked interesting.
Cross Game is wonderful, and easily the best sports anime in recent memory.

Cross Game is wonderful, and easily the best sports anime in recent memory.
I started watching last night and I'm about 7 episodes in. I like it, not totally in love with it yet, but I'm guessing it will get better.

So I'm putting Nisekoi and JoJo on hold for now to watch Cross Game.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an adaptation of the currently-running Shonen Jump manga All You Need is Kill.
Wow, I had no idea. I don't think I've heard this mentioned in any of the press for the movie. I feel like this is something I should've known. I'm going to ask one of the reporters I know who went to the junket/premiere if she knew this.

Anyone know "when" Cross Game takes place? I get this 80's/90's vibe from it. Or is it supposed to be ambiguous?

Wow, I had no idea. I don't think I've heard this mentioned in any of the press for the movie. I feel like this is something I should've known. I'm going to ask one of the reporters I know who went to the junket/premiere if she knew this.

Anyone know "when" Cross Game takes place? I get this 80's/90's vibe from it. Or is it supposed to be ambiguous?
I don't think it has a firm date for the setting, but I think I recall a cell phone or two in the series at some point so it likely takes place in 2005 when it was written. I could be wrong though, but in general the actual years don't matter to much... it's a nice baseball/romance story that could easily take place from the 80s and on.

I don't think it has a firm date for the setting, but I think I recall a cell phone or two in the series at some point so it likely takes place in 2005 when it was written. I could be wrong though, but in general the actual years don't matter to much... it's a nice baseball/romance story that could easily take place from the 80s and on.
I was just curious because when these stories take place in the past it sometimes has similarities or inspirations from the writers past. Haven't seen a cellphone yet, but you're probably right. It's just something I thought of. I have noticed all the TVs are old CRTs and the arcades in the batting range look dated as well.

Just chugging along like normal. The manga is still going too.
It's standard for one to be released every year now. Another one already (or is about to) be released called Dimensional Sniper.
Great. Where are you getting information on Detective Conan? The old Funimation forums use to have people posting about it, but now I'm in the dark.

Finished Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. It's kinda slow at times but it wasn't a bad show. Music was pretty good; my favorite was "My World Down". Surprised there was as much cursing as there was.

Might start Bocanno next.

Great. Where are you getting information on Detective Conan? The old Funimation forums use to have people posting about it, but now I'm in the dark.

Finished Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad. It's kinda slow at times but it wasn't a bad show. Music was pretty good; my favorite was "My World Down". Surprised there was as much cursing as there was.

Might start Bocanno next.
myanimelist is a decent place to start for DC news, alternatively you could also use the detective conan wikia.

B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time

Not gonna spoiler it because as DNukem170 mentioned earlier, it's one joke that hits you over the head. I'll just say that I didn't dislike it and glad it was only 12 episodes long.  Also, there's that creepy obsession Yamada's rival has.

Kill la Kill

I've only watched 7 episodes so far but this anime is freakin' great. I really like Mako and her family. Her innocence is a great compliment to Ryuko's tough girl attitude. I'm leaning towards buying this series on Blu Ray but looking at the price for the first volume gave me memories of buying anime on DVD at Suncoast in the early 2000s.  I didn't realize anime was released in 4ish episode discs anymore at $30 (dvd) or $40 (BR).

I'm about 14 episodes in on fairy tail, it's gotten better, though I hate Anime where no one dies. I know it is meant for "boys", but kill someone please. Life has no meaning without death.

Can someone recommend a newer series that is good where characters die? Do they die in Soul Eater? (I enjoyed what I have seen of "Bleach" and it looks similar).

Can someone recommend a newer series that is good where characters die? Do they die in Soul Eater?
Eh, not really, except for the bad guys.

(I enjoyed what I have seen of "Bleach" and it looks similar).
People dying...in Bleach...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

OK, so the final arc has a lot of death of the good guys, but still.

I'm about 14 episodes in on fairy tail, it's gotten better, though I hate Anime where no one dies. I know it is meant for "boys", but kill someone please. Life has no meaning without death.

Can someone recommend a newer series that is good where characters die? Do they die in Soul Eater? (I enjoyed what I have seen of "Bleach" and it looks similar).
If you don't mind some violence a newer series where a few people die that is decent would be Attack on Titan.

It's a few years old, but I can definitely recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica if you haven't seen it already.
I just put this one on hold. Thank you!

If you don't mind some violence a newer series where a few people die that is decent would be Attack on Titan.
hmm library doesn't have this one yet, but I will keep it in mind.

Thinking about how far the industry has come is just crazy. I think I donated the first anime VHS tapes to my local library in the 90s (when I used to buy/sell them). Now they have an Anime Club and a lot of the series on blu ray.

Just finished Madoka the other day, really enjoyed it and would recommend. Also finished Watamote today, it kept me interested the whole way but the ending the ending was underwhelming for me. Although it probably was the best ending for that show. Never really watched slice of life anime but I had to watch Soul Eater NOT! and enjoyed it. It's a nice break from action and fighting I usually look for. 

Got like my 10th "We're Working On It" email for Eva 3.33 from RightStuf. What are we waiting on Funi? Are you still doing theater showings?

I'm 20 episodes into Cross Game and I'm finding it a little boring. Is this the pace of the entire show? I don't mind sticking with it but it's gotta get me more intrested.

I need something new to watch...

I'm 20 episodes into Cross Game and I'm finding it a little boring. Is this the pace of the entire show? I don't mind sticking with it but it's gotta get me more intrested.

I need something new to watch...
I don't recall any extreme pace changes in cross game, but I also watched it week by week as it came out. Cross game focuses on the relationships just as much as the sports though... if you want a baseball anime more focused on the sport Major is a better choice... if you want a baseball anime that feels a bit like Death Note (without the deaths) One Outs is a really fun ride. If you want a sports anime with moves that cause the dinosaurs to run from asteroids... prince of tennis is your choice. If you want a sports anime that allows you to feel the pain Hajime no ippo is a solid choice (though it has a decent amount of down time in between matches) If you just want something new to watch... my current recommendation is no game no life (which is slightly like a sports anime as everything is resolved by games :p)

Got like my 10th "We're Working On It" email for Eva 3.33 from RightStuf. What are we waiting on Funi? Are you still doing theater showings?
It's probably something with the license holder wanting them to wait a bit longer. As for the theater showings, those wrapped up in January. So Funimation is basically sitting on the physical media release atm.

It wouldn't surprise me if they announce a new release date at Anime Expo next month. But at this point, for me it's now just one of releases that I'll eventually buy when it's on sale. As jerking the release date around has really killed my interest in buying it.

Fairy Tail got better. I'm invested in some of the characters. I'm about 35 episodes in. It is predictable, but I guess that is to be expected. I'm not usually into "cute animals", but I enjoy Happy (the cat), but I think it is more the voice actress and the way she says "Aye". I don't agree with the central theme that "yesterday's enemies are today's allies" (that tends to resonate in several series) as I have lived my life that way and I find it makes you the victim.

It wouldn't surprise me if they announce a new release date at Anime Expo next month. But at this point, for me it's now just one of releases that I'll eventually buy when it's on sale. As jerking the release date around has really killed my interest in buying it.
I've held off on the sub, so I'm still as anxious as ever for this release. Funi, anytime you're ready...

I'll put Cross Game on hold for now. Maybe I just need to be in the right mood to watch it. I did the same with Oremino and World God Only Knows and ended up enjoying them more my second go around.

Either going to start up Fate/Zero or Wolf's Rain tonight and see where that takes me. Heck I still need to finish Monster.

When's my Kuroko, Space Brothers and Log Horizon coming back?

Fairy Tail got better. I'm invested in some of the characters. I'm about 35 episodes in. It is predictable, but I guess that is to be expected. I'm not usually into "cute animals", but I enjoy Happy (the cat), but I think it is more the voice actress and the way she says "Aye". I don't agree with the central theme that "yesterday's enemies are today's allies" (that tends to resonate in several series) as I have lived my life that way and I find it makes you the victim.
I'm sorry that you've felt like a victim :'(

I'm sorry that you've felt like a victim :'(
I'm not looking for sympathy, I just think it is a bad lesson for kids. But I guess that is how it works in sports and politics too...though it seems like it is an act in those two examples. But if I had someone try to kill me, I wouldn't be like, "yeah we can be friends now". I can understand that mentality if it were waring countries and time has passed/different generations of people, but I think they oversimplify forgiveness in Anime.

Did a dive into my backlog and started Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Fun stuff so far and the deus ex machina moments are a good laugh;though I would like to know how the hell Miime is able talk and drink wine whenshe has no mouth.

So, I started watching Digimon season 3 on Netflix (in japanese), but I watched it by myself, because I had watched some Fusion while my wife walked in, and she mocked it mercilessly.  Well, my wife walked in and wanted to know what was going on, and did not object to watching more episodes.  Then, at the end of the night, when she went to bed she asked that I not start the next episode, which is her way of saying she liked it, and wanted to watch more.  Small win for me.  Yes, I know we can watch it elsewhere, but we're getting netflix from a friend, so we figure we can watch it there.  (when funimation finally gets their damn app on psn, then we can watch it there, or anything else, for that matter)

Watched it on Adult Swim years ago. Great dub, but the actual series? Meh. The human hunter was the best character in the show.

Just found out there's going to be a second season of Gundam Build Fighters. Oh, happy day!

Just finished The World God Only Knows, pretty cool concept and
and got hit right in the feels at the very end. Katsuragi and Chihiro crying at the end made me tear up.
I do hope a 4th season comes out but from what I'm reading online it seems unlikely. Might pick up the manga just to find out what happens. 

For those who haven't heard, Viz is announcing the dub cast of Sailor Moon at AnimExpo and also screening Sailor Moon Crystal.

Also, Otakon will have an actual, legitimate, professional sumo wrestling match.

Thinking about dropping Berserk. I'm 160 chapters in and it's not very good honestly. The only redeeming factor is when Guts goes berserk and the art changes and Serpico, but other than that, it's not doing much for me.

As such, started Assassination Classroom and am enjoying it much more. Also watched more of Yowamushi Pedal, and now I'm at episode 30. Almost caught up. 

Kill la Kill:

Not going to spoiler talk about it but Kill la Kill is possibly one of my favorite animes. It has everything I was looking for and was thoroughly entertained. I really enjoyed Mako and her relationship with Ryuko. I just hope to see a lighter themed sequel with those two, Satsuki, and the Elite Four finishing up school.  

bread's done
Back