Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Massive formatting revision to nearly every existing checklist, and new checklists added!
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/

anlogo.jpg

AnimEigo_logo.png

central-park-media.gif

hirameki.jpg

nisa.png

pioneer-geneon.png

synch-point.jpeg

urban_vision.png

Recently finished:

-Amaama to Inazuma: Really enjoyed it. Like a combination of Usagi Drop and Restaurant to Another World.
-Asobi Asobase: Funnier than I expected. Some of the skits fell flat with me for gross humor, but it was mostly enjoyable.
-Grand Blue: Hilarious! Includes a warning about the dangers of alcohol at the beginning of each episode for a reason, lol. Definitely worth a watch.
-Jashin-chan Dropkick: Weak. Few funny moments. Not the worst time killer, but pass if you have other shows to watch.
-Mushishi: A cross between Natsume Yuujinchou and Kino's Journey, which is another way of saying it is amazing and you should watch it. Great atmosphere and interesting stories. I never knew what kind of ending to expect, whether it be happy, sad, or up to interpretation. Other episodes were all about the journey rather than the outcome.

-Shomin Sample: Fairly funny. Nothing special, but not a bad watch if you're bored.
-Steins;Gate 0: This is a tough one to review. Up until the few of the 23 episodes, I would have recommended to avoid watching this. But in the last few eps, things finally get interesting. Those alone made the painful and awkward journey worthwhile. I like how SG0 relates back to the original anime. While nowhere near as good as the original, you do learn some stuff not explained before.

The current anime season is coming to an end, so I'm looking forward to lots of new series to binge ^^

And the Ending theme was one of my favorite in recent seasons.
Yeah, the first end song and animation was really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen the Gundam Narrative anime? I thought it was supposed to be out end of November, but couldn't find it anywhere.

So I just binge watched Hi Score Girl on Netflix. Really good anime. The CG is kind of meh, but as a gamer, it's pretty entertaining. Good depth to the characters and I was mildly annoyed it ended on a cliff hanger. Presumably we'll be getting more. Netflix usually doesn't shaft us on more content if that content is successful. So go watch and give it a thumbs up so we get more!

So I just binge watched Hi Score Girl on Netflix. Really good anime. The CG is kind of meh, but as a gamer, it's pretty entertaining. Good depth to the characters and I was mildly annoyed it ended on a cliff hanger. Presumably we'll be getting more. Netflix usually doesn't shaft us on more content if that content is successful. So go watch and give it a thumbs up so we get more!
3 more episodes in march I think. after that who knows the manga is done as far as I know and the 3 more episodes won't cover the rest of it as far as I know.

3 more episodes in march I think. after that who knows the manga is done as far as I know and the 3 more episodes won't cover the rest of it as far as I know.
Ooooh! Good to know, thanks! Weird to throw a random 3 episodes into March, but that's anime/Netflix for you.

Finished Goblin Slayer tonight. I'm sure readers of the comics will disagree, but I do think the first episode did the show a disservice. I guess it did a good job of framing goblins as not the bumbling jokes they usually are, but it still felt like it tried too hard to be super edgy. This was most noticeable in comparing the way they handled the meat shields at the end to that first episode.

Also, Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san is still my favorite show from the season. I don't know why, but I enjoyed every episode.

Is there any hype yet about any of next season's shows?

As a kid who grew up in during the 90's arcade boom, those show was right up my ally. Every little detail they went into I knew about.

Finished Goblin Slayer tonight. I'm sure readers of the comics will disagree, but I do think the first episode did the show a disservice. I guess it did a good job of framing goblins as not the bumbling jokes they usually are, but it still felt like it tried too hard to be super edgy. This was most noticeable in comparing the way they handled the meat shields at the end to that first episode.

Also, Skull-Face Bookseller Honda-san is still my favorite show from the season. I don't know why, but I enjoyed every episode.

Is there any hype yet about any of next season's shows?
I agree, I enjoyed the show outside of that first episode. Next season there are some follow on shows like Date A Live S3, Mob Psycho (I never got into this show, but some really like it) and Mononokean S2.

In terms of new stuff, Rise of the Shield Hero seems like it has potential. It's yet another isekai show, but the preview was interesting. Clearly MMO inspired. I've heard a lot about "revisions". Seems to be hyped, but I don't know shit about it. I also saw a preview for a magical girl show that looked promising. A little darker than what I would expect, but not as dark as some of the recent ones.

I believe Funimation is also releasing in theaters the latest Code Geass movie in Feb. I think this is the all new content one, but I haven't been following it 100%. First one was the compilation, second one was ???, third one will hopefully be profit.

As a kid who grew up in during the 90's arcade boom, those show was right up my ally. Every little detail they went into I knew about.
Yeah same here. My favorite was the angry gamer people who would rage when they got their asses kicked. I distinctly remember slaughtering people in Mortal Kombat, particularly adults, who would pound the shit out of the cabinet when they lost. I don't ever remember anyone attacking someone else at the arcade, but in some of the more ghetto areas, I definitely heard stories of it happening. It'd be really awkward for a 30-something adult to start beating on a 14 yr old kid lol. My parents never gave me money to spend on the arcade, so going there was more of a rare privilege and usually were the arcades attached to the movie theaters. I'll be in Osaka in a month though and I think they still have an area that is home to lots of arcades still. Arcades in Japan are still really fun and cool.

Yeah same here. My favorite was the angry gamer people who would rage when they got their asses kicked. I distinctly remember slaughtering people in Mortal Kombat, particularly adults, who would pound the shit out of the cabinet when they lost. I don't ever remember anyone attacking someone else at the arcade, but in some of the more ghetto areas, I definitely heard stories of it happening. It'd be really awkward for a 30-something adult to start beating on a 14 yr old kid lol. My parents never gave me money to spend on the arcade, so going there was more of a rare privilege and usually were the arcades attached to the movie theaters. I'll be in Osaka in a month though and I think they still have an area that is home to lots of arcades still. Arcades in Japan are still really fun and cool.
The one scene that I called before it happened was the guy picking Akuma in the tournament and missing the command selecting Ryu instead. I've seen this happen often. Freakin' cheaters. Also I mained Zangief so Ono using him was really cool for me. Also Guile was one of my favorites too. I hated Ryu & Ken users. Also Final Fight on SNES being single player was a cruel reality for me too.

Have fun in Osaka. I've been there a couple times. Make sure to get some takoyaki buddy.

The one scene that I called before it happened was the guy picking Akuma in the tournament and missing the command selecting Ryu instead. I've seen this happen often. Freakin' cheaters. Also I mained Zangief so Ono using him was really cool for me. Also Guile was one of my favorites too. I hated Ryu & Ken users. Also Final Fight on SNES being single player was a cruel reality for me too.

Have fun in Osaka. I've been there a couple times. Make sure to get some takoyaki buddy.
Only problem with takoyaki is it's a sphere of burning hotness. I have to poke holes in it and let it cool off before I can touch it, I do love it tho. Most Japanese foods I love. My problem is being able to have a menu with pictures or english cuz I can't read any asian languages!

I used to play Guile because he was easy to use. Mortal Kombat I believe I used Scorpion all the time because he was also easy to use. One version of Street Fighter (Turbo?), was really sped up and I would just crush people using button mashing cuz they had no clue what was happening. Was kind of funny. I was more into MK than SF though so didn't play it much.

Only problem with takoyaki is it's a sphere of burning hotness. I have to poke holes in it and let it cool off before I can touch it, I do love it tho. Most Japanese foods I love. My problem is being able to have a menu with pictures or english cuz I can't read any asian languages!
Instant camera translation with your phone.

And learn kana. It's not particularly hard (unless the font is realllllly stylized).

Binged some anime from last season:

-Bunny Girl Senpai: Since I love Monogatari, I loved Bunny as well. My favorite series so far from last season. The strange phenomena in Monogatari are based on the spiritual, while Bunny's are founded in physics. Main guy and girl in both series have similar personalities and relationship. There are still some things not explained by the end, so I hope we get another season.

-Goblin Slayer: Enjoyed it. Yes, the first episode is brutal, and I can see it turning people off from the series. That first ep does a good job though of showing why goblins should be feared and hated, despite being treated among the lowest level of monster in that world. I like how Goblin Slayer grew a bit as a person as he had increasing interactions with others. Looking forward to S2.

-UzaMaid: Ok watch. Fair amount of funny moments (albeit under a creepy premise) and underlying good story of dealing with loss.

Yeah Bunny Girl Senpai was definitely one of the highlights of the season despite having an idiotic title. I hope we get more as well, but unlikely since it seemed to stop at a good point.

Bunny Girl was good. Some arcs were better than the others with the first arc being the best IMO. I wish MC would've gotten that kiss at the end. But like starkillr said, I doubt we'll get anymore.

Alright CAG. What am I looking out for this 2019 winter season? Beside Mob Psycho and some returning shows I have no clue what to look out for.

Shows I've been most hyped for the Winter Season

Tate no Yuusha (Rising of the Shield Hero): Fan of the Light Novel. Funny that some people found something to bitch about already without giving the show a chance.

Go-toubun no Hanayome

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen

Shows I've been most hyped for the Winter Season

Tate no Yuusha (Rising of the Shield Hero): Fan of the Light Novel. Funny that some people found something to bitch about already without giving the show a chance.

Go-toubun no Hanayome

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen
What's the english conversion of #2 and #3? What's the premise/genre? I watched the non-preview of Rising of the Shield Hero that included the OP/ED. The ED particularly is suggestive that this is going to go in some very cool directions. I'm looking forward to the evolution of this show. I'll tentatively say it has the most potential of all the shows this season that I've seen so far.

Ok I found/watched those other two. The quintuplets thing I'll need to watch a few more episodes before judging it, but not sure it'll stick. The Kaguya-sama one is entertaining, will have to see if it sticks.

Any good romance anime out this season?

Going to check out Quintessential Quintuplets tonight. And how's Domestic Girlfriend? Not sure were to watch it.

Rising of the Shield Hero is my most hyped show for the Winter Season. Don't let the SJW and Feminists convince you otherwise until you actually watch the show a decent amount. If you like the show enough, I recommend reading the LN or the Manga to satisfy you. 

Rising of the Shield Hero is my most hyped show for the Winter Season. Don't let the SJW and Feminists convince you otherwise until you actually watch the show a decent amount. If you like the show enough, I recommend reading the LN or the Manga to satisfy you.
Same. I think it has 24 or 25 episodes as well, so we'll have a nice long stretch to enjoy.

FYI - Dragon Ball Super Broly is in theaters locally. Just bought a ticket to see it this Friday. Pretty pumped. I heard it's good asides from the random CG injected in the movie and some stupid chant-like music at the end.

I see they made a male version of Kale. 

I'm joking. But still funny that the girl version of Broly was made canon first lol

I've read the manga, it just gets better and better.
Good to know. I watched the first episode last night. Funny stuff. I like how there's a "win/ defeat/ tie" at the end of each segment.

Going to watch Rising of Hero Shield tonight. I have no idea what it's about but heard it was good.

Good to know. I watched the first episode last night. Funny stuff. I like how there's a "win/ defeat/ tie" at the end of each segment.

Going to watch Rising of Hero Shield tonight. I have no idea what it's about but heard it was good.
yeah, like I enjoy the early stuff well enough, but the extended cast is actually quite good and keeps it fresh.

plus while the president and vice president are still obviously elites, they do a better job of making them likable as the series goes on.

The new episode that just came out today is good. Definitely highlighting that this is the show to watch this season. Let's start up the hype train!

Anyone know where I can watch/find Bakuman? Doesn't look like it really got released in the US and I'm having trouble finding certain episodes because it's so old.

It's on Hulu. Hard to think it's done by the same guys who did Deathnote.
Yeah found it on Hulu. Not keen on paying to watch one series again :( I'd rather just buy the set somewhere. Did it get released in any country with English sub-titles?

Yeah found it on Hulu. Not keen on paying to watch one series again :( I'd rather just buy the set somewhere. Did it get released in any country with English sub-titles?
No. Only 1 DVD release ever happened. Then the release got cancelled. VIZ might pick it up someday but its unlikely

Dragon Maid is getting a second season!

https://twitter.com/coolkyou2/status/1094974354830442497/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1094974354830442497&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fotakumode.com%2Fnews%2F5c626d6a0b8352b32149b774%2FMiss-Kobayashi-s-Dragon-Maid-Gets-Season-2!

Also Bunny Girl Senpai is getting a movie.

I recently re-subscribed to Crunchyroll as I need more anime in my life. I also like English dubs since I stare at a computer all day and it's the last thing I want to do when I get home from work (reading subtitles that is).

So...I've compiled all of the anime's listed in a thread over at CR into a spreadsheet that anyone can edit/modify.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y-Be-_mvEtn6DH7GY_kaaIWj76wrqANIyMdyenDqhcw/

*note 1: I live in Canada so I've tailored the list a bit to recognize when something wasn't available here.
*note 2: I'm sure there are more titles on the site that we aren't aware of, but this is at least a good start to help organize everything.

Dragon Maid is getting a second season!

https://twitter.com/coolkyou2/status/1094974354830442497/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1094974354830442497&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fotakumode.com%2Fnews%2F5c626d6a0b8352b32149b774%2FMiss-Kobayashi-s-Dragon-Maid-Gets-Season-2!

Also Bunny Girl Senpai is getting a movie.
Dragon Maid was cute, that's great news.

I started watching Banana Fish. Very gritty gangster anime. How does the show hold up? I'm only 5 episodes in and like it so far.

Dragon Maid was cute, that's great news.

I started watching Banana Fish. Very gritty gangster anime. How does the show hold up? I'm only 5 episodes in and like it so far.
Yeah 2nd dragon maid season is a good thing. I never watched Banana Fish but I've heard good things about it. I will likely never watch it though.

Yeah 2nd dragon maid season is a good thing. I never watched Banana Fish but I've heard good things about it. I will likely never watch it though.
It's good so far. Gritty gangster anime with some yaoi moments. Which I don't mind, since so far it doesn't use those moments for fan service but rather character development.

But I'm watching that and Boarding School Juliet before my Amazon Prime membership expires. Juliet is just some dumb crappy rom com I wouldn't recommend much. But these shows are a guilty pleasure and I enjoy them every now and then. Es specially before going to bed. Watching something absurd is good to numb my brain.

Has anyone been watching Domestic Girlfriend? This show is a lot better than I would have expected. The opening sounds like it's sung by YUI, but doesn't appear to be since I don't see her name pop up (or somehow missed it). Good one tho!

bread's done
Back