Anime sale at Amazon

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Saw this at SD, thought it was worth mentioning. Lots of great prices here.\\

Thanks to WTK for some updated tiles:
[quote name='WTK']Here are a few more titles including the previously mentioned FMA: Brotherhood.

[/QUOTE]

Ghost in the Shell: Season 1 (Anime Legends) - $22.99

Venus Versus Virus: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $7.50

Virus Buster Serge Box Set - $18.99

Tactics the Complete Series - $23.49

Glass Fleet Box Set S.A.V.E - $12.49

Gigantor: The Collection Vol. 2 (1965) - $15.99

Kodocha: The First Season (2010) - $13.99

Kodocha: The Second Season (2010) - $13.99

Galaxy Railways: Box Set S.A.V.E. - $12.49

Macross Plus - The Collection (Two-Disc Set) (1995) - $17.99

Shattered Angels: The Complete Collection (2010) - $9.49

School Rumble: First Semester S.A.V.E. - $13.49

School Rumble: Second Semester S.A.V.E. - $12.99

Aquarion: Complete Series Box Set S.A.V.E. (2010) - $12.99

Moeyo Ken: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $8.49

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Complete Second Season (Viridian Collection) - $20.99

Solty Rei Box Set S.A.V.E. - $12.49

Kanon: Complete Series Box Set S.A.V.E. (2010) - $12.99

Air TV: The Complete Series S.A.V.E. - $9.49

Street Fighter II V: The Collection - $17.99

Heat Guy J: The Complete Series Box S.A.V.E. - $13.49

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought both School Rumbles and NHK for a friend for Christmas. Been wanting to watch School Rumble forever and you can't go wrong with those prices.... btw, what's up with this series OVAs? I saw a box set for $40 that had the same stuff I got for $26 and a OVA which I obviously don't got.

I found a individual release of the OVA for $6 shipped but then I read in the review for the box set that it contains two OVAs and I can only find an individual release of only one OVA. If someone can clear up the OVA thing, I'd appreciate it. Might just suck up and cancel the cheap sets and just get the box if the 2nd OVA or w/e is only in that set and not elsewhere. =/

I hope I'm not too late in making my obligatory everyone-needs-to-buy-Kurau post. Seriously, $13.99 is the cheapest it's ever been, and it's an amazing show. If anyone's curious, it's an affecting science fiction story with wonderful characters.

Funimation has the first four episodes on their website if anyone wants to try it out before they commit to buying it.

Buy Kurau now, please.

Also, since Ghost Hunt is a part of this sale too, everyone needs to buy that as well. It didn't look particularly special when I first bought it, but it blew me away –– it's really something special.

[quote name='Razzuel']I hope I'm not too late in making my obligatory everyone-needs-to-buy-Kurau post. Seriously, $13.99 is the cheapest it's ever been, and it's an amazing show. If anyone's curious, it's an affecting science fiction story with wonderful characters.

Funimation has the first four episodes on their website if anyone wants to try it out before they commit to buying it.

Buy Kurau now, please.

Also, since Ghost Hunt is a part of this sale too, everyone needs to buy that as well. It didn't look particularly special when I first bought it, but it blew me away –– it's really something special.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, everyone needs to buy Kurau, especially for this price. Ghost Hunt is fairly average, but Kurau is excellent.

[quote name='Razzuel']I hope I'm not too late in making my obligatory everyone-needs-to-buy-Kurau post. Seriously, $13.99 is the cheapest it's ever been, and it's an amazing show. If anyone's curious, it's an affecting science fiction story with wonderful characters.

Buy Kurau now, please.

Also, since Ghost Hunt is a part of this sale too, everyone needs to buy that as well. It didn't look particularly special when I first bought it, but it blew me away –– it's really something special.[/QUOTE]

I rebought Kurau so I could get rid of the massive boxset from the Rightstuf sale previously. lol Still in my backlog though.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I totally agree, everyone needs to buy Kurau, especially for this price. Ghost Hunt is fairly average, but Kurau is excellent.[/QUOTE]

Course, you say this AFTER I place my order...

Damn, Amazon always manages to run these anime sales at the most (personally) inconvenient times (for me). I've already put a moratorium on putting anything else on my credit card for this billing cycle, as I just put new tires on my car. :whistle2:| Anyone know how long this sale lasts?

Kurau has some pretty low reviews on Amazon lol. Is there any better place to get anime reviews? Like a place with a higher quantity of reviews, not quality. I always trust quantity over quality when it comes to reviews because everyone is biased no matter what they say.

I'm tempted at the price and I'll try out the episodes, but I'd like to see some better reviews before I even bother wasting my time.

[quote name='Darknuke']Kurau has some pretty low reviews on Amazon lol. Is there any better place to get anime reviews? Like a place with a higher quantity of reviews, not quality. I always trust quantity over quality when it comes to reviews because everyone is biased no matter what they say.

I'm tempted at the price and I'll try out the episodes, but I'd like to see some better reviews before I even bother wasting my time.[/QUOTE]

The readable reviews make me RAGE because they're written by middle schoolers, but you can see the scores for the anime. Kurau's been rated by 2300 people, for example.

http://myanimelist.net/

In determining which animes to buy, I checked out this site for all the ones listed that I hadn't seen and went with the ones over 7.4. If you see a rating under 7.0, run away as fast as you can because that show is likely to suck. Anime with 8.0 and over are considered to be pretty damn good. But yeah, opinions. I consider tons of highly-rated anime to be shit and tons of lowly-rated anime to be awesome. ~_~

Edit: I don't remember if this has been asked/answered (too lazy to go back and check) but I just got my DVDs today and about half only have a SAVE sticker that can be removed and the rest have reversible covers. So if you're worried about aesthetics, don't be.

Edit 2: I bought Kurau, Razz-kun. You've been talking about it for at least three years now, so it will finally get out of the back of my mind. @_@

[quote name='Darknuke']Kurau has some pretty low reviews on Amazon lol. Is there any better place to get anime reviews? Like a place with a higher quantity of reviews, not quality. I always trust quantity over quality when it comes to reviews because everyone is biased no matter what they say.

I'm tempted at the price and I'll try out the episodes, but I'd like to see some better reviews before I even bother wasting my time.[/QUOTE]

It has one pretty low review on Amazon, and the reviewer grossly misunderstood the show and is grossly misrepresenting it. Kurau does have over 2000 ratings on MyAnimeList for a rating of 7.58, but I don't put much stock in their community, since I find most of their users to be quite ignorant. Anime News Network uses a histogram based on how people rate a show, and Kurau is rated by over 600 people on there.

Really, though, instead of trying to predict your enjoyment of it from arbitrary sets of numbers, I suggest you at least watch the first episode on Funimation's website, since experiencing it is the best way to know if you'll like it.

Also, to anyone who does buy Kurau, you must watch it with the English dub. Everyone does a fantastic job, and it has some of my favorite performances by Monica Rial, Jessica Boone, and John Gremillion.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Edit 2: I bought Kurau, Razz-kun. You've been talking about it for at least three years now, so it will finally get out of the back of my mind. @_@[/QUOTE]

Woo hoo! Awesome! I hope you enjoy it like most of the other people I've introduced it to.

[quote name='Razzuel']Really, though, instead of trying to predict your enjoyment of it from arbitrary sets of numbers, I suggest you at least watch the first episode on Funimation's website, since experiencing it is the best way to know if you'll like it.[/QUOTE]

Better still, watch more than one episode. The first episode isn't a good representation of the tone of the show. Not that it's a bad episode, but the rest of the show goes in a very different direction.

Totally agree that the dub is amazing.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Better still, watch more than one episode. The first episode isn't a good representation of the tone of the show. Not that it's a bad episode, but the rest of the show goes in a very different direction.

Totally agree that the dub is amazing.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for trying out episodes, but I don't like to waste my time trying a show that got crappy reviews when I could be watching a show that I already know is good. If I had more time, I'd be less picky I guess...

I'll check out those review sites though and I'll probably give Kurau a 2 episode trial. If it doesn't stick after that, I probably won't bite.

EDIT: Good god... The peer reviews on MyAnimeList are LOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGG. So damn in depth lol. Pretty good website. I kind of disagree with some of the top 10 choices, but I guess it makes sense that the more mainstream animes made that list. Good site nonetheless

[quote name='Darknuke']I'm all for trying out episodes, but I don't like to waste my time trying a show that got crappy reviews when I could be watching a show that I already know is good. If I had more time, I'd be less picky I guess...[/QUOTE]

Kurau really is excellent. Anybody that gave it a crappy review is retarded. And good god, is it ever CHEAP right now!

[quote name='bizman316']Anyone have tokyo majin? How is it?[/QUOTE]

When I watched the first season I was like "holy shit this is like Persona oh god everything is so awesome" and then a few years later I watched the second and was like "wtf is this shit."

Therefore, I can only assume:
A) The first season actually was good and something went terribly wrong with the second
B) I had no clue what I was thinking when I watched the first season and they both sucked (this is more likely)

[quote name='DarkSageRK']An anime has to be popular before it can be overrated.[/QUOTE]

Revised.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Revised.[/QUOTE]

It's the 59th most watched anime on MyAnimeList. If you think it's obscure, it may be because you only talk to people who watch shows on Cartoon Network.

Is there any nudity in Gankutsuou? My daughter loves anime and I buy them for her, but dont want to get her stuff with adult sex scenes and stuff. thanks

[quote name='tukai']Is there any nudity in Gankutsuou? My daughter loves anime and I buy them for her, but dont want to get her stuff with adult sex scenes and stuff. thanks[/QUOTE]

nudity != adult sex scenes

Anyway, I don't remember any nudity in the show.

[quote name='tukai']Is there any nudity in Gankutsuou? My daughter loves anime and I buy them for her, but dont want to get her stuff with adult sex scenes and stuff. thanks[/QUOTE]

While I don't remember any nudity in Gankutsuou, I can't imagine any non-adults truly appreciating that show. It's an absolutely fantastic series, but too sophisticated for a younger audience.

Gankutsuou is not appropriate for younger audiences, IMO.

There are two brief sequences of nudity that I recall: a nude woman standing and looking out an open window (very brief) and a fat naked man rolling around in gold bars.

There is also a brief sequence of a woman masturbating (through her clothes).

[quote name='Razzuel']You're only depriving yourself here; you should certainly reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I haven't watched an English dub since Ranma 1/2, and I don't plan on doing it anytime soon. lol

[quote name='G-Nitro']Sorry, but I haven't watched an English dub since Ranma 1/2, and I don't plan on doing it anytime soon. lol[/QUOTE]

Your loss.

I know a lot of english dubs are bad, but it my strong opinion that the only reason we think Jap ones aren't is that we aren't familiar with the language. Unless you speak the language, and understand the ebb and flow of it, how can you really judge if it's good or not. It's just gobbily goop with sub titles.

Being able to understand what's being said is much more important than listening to sounds spoken in funny voices for the sake of watching "the original".

[quote name='Broseph']Not to derail the thread or go too far off topic but what gives with Gurren Lagann DVD's?

I vaguely remember some sort of "subs only" release initially and then well, I don't know.

I own the magnetic box set that included the LED drill. I have volumes one and two - covering episodes 1-9 or maybe it was 1-8...

Is it pretty much impossible to complete my collection? Seems like some of the DVD's I need are out of print or just don't exist...maybe?

Hmm... maybe waiting for the Blu Ray release is the best move. I would gladly buy the series on Blu.[/QUOTE]

the dvds are out there. i got the complete series at a deep discount dvd sale in early summer for around $60-70. or you could buy the two movies that are basically a rehash of the show. havent seen them though so cant say if they're any good or not. now i may have to buy kurau based on everyone's recomendation. oh well, it gives me an excuse to buy welcome to the nhk.

I liked it. It's BONES Studio show, and I love BONES -- well, most of their stuff at least.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Plenty of us. It's quite good.[/QUOTE]

I remember watching it years ago subbed It was pretty amusing. I didn't finish the second season, so I don't know how it ultimately ends up.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Has anyone watched Hell Girl (aka Jigoku Shojo)? any good? It's in my gold box, and it sounds pretty cool[/QUOTE]

Yep. It's occasionally fun, but also incredibly repetitive, and some of the petty things people are willing to sacrifice their eternal soul for are just laughable. Not great, and not terrible.

Started watching Count of Monte Cristo. So far I'm not too impressed. I'm 4 episodes in, mind you, but it hasn't been all the engaging to me. I will still watch it all the way through, but keep in mind to those of you debating on getting it, it is a slow start. The count's revenge tactics are EXTREMELY subtle (except one) so it's not super interesting in the beginning. Just a lot of character building and introducing.

My biggest gripe tho. Definitely the clothing textures. For some reason it bothers me that they use a texture that doesn't move with the clothes, so it looks like the clothes' fabric is shape shifting. Hard to explain, but you will know it if/when you see it.

About Count of Monte Cristo, it's far better than the movie at least.
Where revenge was simply murder, and where there was a nice happy ending, fucking hollywood.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Has anyone watched Hell Girl (aka Jigoku Shojo)? any good? It's in my gold box, and it sounds pretty cool[/QUOTE]
Like Lemon said, most of the stories are so petty it's sad. The creators seemed to either have a really pessimistic view of how short-sighted the average person is, or they were really unable to understand the concept of eternal suffering. Either way it bugged me.

Btw, they also have Trigun the Complete Set at 18.49 or so. I don't know if that's new or not.

[quote name='Shinpachi']About Count of Monte Cristo, it's far better than the movie at least.
Where revenge was simply murder, and where there was a nice happy ending, fucking hollywood.
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I liked the movie! :lol: Sure they changed a lot of shit and made it Disney-friendly, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Gankutsuou started out promising, but just turned full retard the last several episodes in.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Gankutsuou started out promising, but just turned full retard the last several episodes in.[/QUOTE]

Indeed- I remember lending that show to my fiance, who adores the original story. He watched most of it. He liked it, enough that got the boxset on Amazon. Then he watched the last disc.

He cancelled the Amazon order, went to Borders, bought the book, and told me I had to read it so I could fully understand what they did wrong. (I'm about halfway done with it.)

Despite that, I do recommend it to anyone who can stomach the visuals (I have a few friends who get a bit sick trying to watch all those patterns.) It's a good ride, just with a poor finish... and if you're like me and not terribly familiar with the source material ahead of time, it's a lot easier to take the ending. ;)

[quote name='BitLooter']I'm tempted by Trigun... but isn't it available on bluray? I know it was announced, but I can't seem to find it on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

no , no blu ray release. it was RUMORED to be announced but never really was.

I'm snagging it with a $25 gc I've got coming in the mail today

bread's done
Back