Any other beat em up's or Metroidvania's other than these? I need new stuffs :(

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
So I'm really getting into a replay of Metroid: Zero Mission, and I play River City Ransom and Double Dragon constantly, and want games in these two genres... I already have these:

Metroidvania's:

Metroid: Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania Circle of the Moon
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

Beatemup's:

Double Dragon Advance
River City Ransom

I'm already planning on getting TMNT and Final Fight One, but I'm worried that this is all there is in either genre :(

Anyone know any gems I may have overlooked?

Guardian Heroes Advance

Never played it, and I've heard it's not nearly as good as the original GH, but who knows, you might like it.

[quote name='zewone']Guardian Heroes Advance

Never played it, and I've heard it's not nearly as good as the original GH, but who knows, you might like it.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it was mentioned to me earlier, but all the reviews just make it seem like a cheap Guardian Heroes knockoff, rather than a legitimate sequel.

Plus it seems to have tons of slowdown.

I remember there was a licensed game Konami did, and just used Castlevania's engine for it, even some of the same enemy types.. I just can't remember the name.

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, it was mentioned to me earlier, but all the reviews just make it seem like a cheap Guardian Heroes knockoff, rather than a legitimate sequel.

Plus it seems to have tons of slowdown.

I remember there was a licensed game Konami did, and just used Castlevania's engine for it, even some of the same enemy types.. I just can't remember the name.[/quote]

Your thinking of the Shaman King games for the GBA. I never played them, but their on my radar cos I read that they were just like Castlevania. Theres more than 2 SK games for the GBA, but only 2 are Metroidvania clones, sorry Im not more familiar with them.

Also people say that Megaman ZX for the DS is kinda Metroidy.

[quote name='Puffa469']

Also people say that Megaman ZX for the DS is kinda Metroidy.[/quote]yea, its similar, but if you've played any of the previous zero games its pretty much the same except with a few things added here and there

Scurge: Hive is probably the closest thing to Metroid.

As for the Sharman King game, they are okay if you are a fan of the anime or manga. If you are looking for the next Castlevania, avoid it. The biggest problem is the amount of backtrack you have to do. In castlevania you can use the teleporters, but not in Sharman King. The level designs are also very plain compare to castlevania. The story will also not make any sense if you dont follow the anime or manga. It is neat that the bosses and their attacks are from the anime, but wont mean anything if you dont follow the series. I think the game is better than most anime license games, but not on the same level as the GBA Castlevania.

As for Mega Man ZX, Roufuss already got that and sold it

Another vote for Astro Boy, there is some slowdown, but not as bad as Guardian Heroes, dont get that.

Come to think of it, Astro Boy was probably my favorite Beat em' Up. Kinda like a Megaman... but better. Please don't bash me mogaman fans.

Astro Boy is a fantastic choice. Advance Guardian Heroes is actually pretty good once you get into it. I bought it to celebrate the purchase of my GBASP and had a blast with it. But it certainly pales in comparison to the original.

There is slowdown in the game, but its not as gamebreaking as many may think. Most of the people that have serious problems with the slowdown are probably playing a rom which, for whatever reason, plays horribly on emulators.

These are good choices, but sadly I already had Astro Boy, beat it very quickly with both difficulty modes and geting things 100%, and returned it to the store that day - I just wasn't feeling it at all.

I don't follow the Astro Boy anime at all, and I don't know, I just didn't feel the game all that much.

I haven't been a fan of almost anything Treasure has put out this gen, especially on the GBA. It's sad. It's one reason I'm cautious about Advance Guardian Heroes.

Yea, had Megaman ZX, sold it, WAAAAAAAY too much backtracking.

I'll look into Gekido, I've always been kind of interested to see what it's like.

Any other opinions on the Shaman King or Scourge games?

Sadly, it looks like I have the best the genre's have to offer :(

EDIT: Hey, Ninja Five-O, I totally forgot about that. It's more of a sidescroller than a beatemup, though, but still, yea, it's supposed to be great.

I would rec Metroid 2 return of samus on gbc. It doesn't have the action or graffix of the other games but I think its the creepiest! Scurge Hive is okay....but the isometric view kills it for me. If it was a 2d side scroller it would rock imo

Ninja Five 0 is made of a new polymimetic alloy called goldwin

Scurge Hive sucks. I'm sorry. It blows. Don't buy it. It is just mediocre enough for a CAG to torture themselves by playing all the way through.

Advance Guardian Heroes, I like it better than the original Guardian Heroes, actually. It is pretty nice, and I never had serious slowdown issues with it. The reviewers are idiots.

Granted, the controls are scaled back a good deal: No more Ryu-style special attack inputs. That means the combat system is a lot more graceful with a tighter moveset. Of course, this also means it really plays more like Smash Bros. than it does like GH. The AI battle mode is a lot of fun, but my relationship with the story mode is a soap opera of love/hate. For $10 at BB's front end racks, though, I don't think you can go wrong.

I dont know how good they are, but there are alot of Beat em ups/brawlers on the GBA disguised as licensed kid show games. Theres the Naruto games, Teen Titans, and a host of others. Theres a Full Metal Alchemist brawler on the DS. I dunno how good any of these games are, but they are of the genre your looking for. It may be worth researching a bit.

*EDIT* I found this: 'Bruce Lee: Return of the Legeend' it got an 8.4 on IGN.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/421/421777p1.html

I think one of the full metal alchemist games for DS is a side scrolling beatemup.
Theres also a version of dynasty warriors coming out in like a month that looks really good for a beatemup port.
Gekido as someone earlier mentioned . It plays like final fight one

TMNT for GBA is a pretty sweet beat-em-up! Mighty Final Fight, part of Capcom Mini Mix on GBA is also decent, though nowhere near as good as TMNT. The Spiderman games generally rate well as beat-em-ups.

I played one of the Shaman King games for about 20 minutes and it was really boring. Flat, uninteresting level design and a lot of backtracking through those levels. I'd avoid it unless you're desperate.

Metroid 2 hasn't aged incredibly well, especially after playing something like Zero Mission, but it's still an excellent game. It needs a map system like nobody's business, though, so be prepared to get lost a lot.

What about Diabo-esque games? I've heard good things about Shining Soul 2, which is an action RPG but more of a dungeon crawler.

+1 on Ninja Five-0. It's got great gameplay and has the metroidvania mechanic of going to one area to unlock another. It's got time trials too and thus is a lot of fun to try and master - but the gameplay is the best part - lots of clever grappling hook swinging and fighting moves.

Be sure to get final fight - it's good.

Also look into the sega smash pack which has Golden Axe (an oldie but a goodie). Good Luck!

I didn't like Ninja Five-O. Can't remember why-probably got difficult and boring.

I rented Guardian Heroes. I thought it was fine for a rental, and didn't really notice any slowdown that affected anything. (I probably played it on a DS though, don't know if that matters.) I didn't think it was anything special though, just a solid way to spend a couple of hours.
Astro Boy is kind of a shooter as I recall, and was more fun, better at what it did (and I prefer scrolling fighters to shooters).

Shaman King: Master of Spirits 1 was good, and was very different from the Metroid or Castlevania games while being in that genre. I didn't like the sequel though. It seemed like they just reused art assets and it didn't mesh together into half as good of a game (I wonder if it was on a smaller ROM too, because it seemed like the environments repeated constantly and were much less interesting than the first game).
I knew nothing about the license going in, but thought the first one still told a solid story I could understand (the second one doesn't seem to have much of a story).

I also enjoyed Star Wars: Episode III for the DS. The DS and GBA games were largely the same, but the DS one has MUCH better music, and Star Fox-esque levels that break up the main game (and I think make it a lot more fun-not that they're great, but they add variety). It's not a GREAT game but it was enjoyable. Ultimate Spider-Man on the DS is supposed to be good too (I bought it, but it's in the backlog).

I'm sure there's a lot more-probably better than those-but I can't think of them off hand.

I can't advise anyone play Gekido Advance. It's missing any kind of depth to the moves (kind of a must for a beat 'em up) and is unnecessarily cheap. It's one of the few games I bought on sale and at some point realized it didn't matter how little I paid -- it just wasn't worth the time I was putting into it. NOT recommended.

[quote name='johnnypark'] What about Diabo-esque games? I've heard good things about Shining Soul 2, which is an action RPG but more of a dungeon crawler.[/quote]

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Return of the King - both great pick-ups that are IMO overlooked.

I've got to say that I really like Scurge Hive. I can, however, see why some people don't like the isometric viewpoint and accompanying control scheme.

You might also like Drill Dozer. Not much of a beat 'em up, but it's a fun platformer.

Gunstar Super Heroes and TMNT are good choices too.

Yeah, Drill Dozer is one of the better platformers of the last few years. It was in the last Circuit City clearance.

[quote name='johnnypark']What about Diabo-esque games? I've heard good things about Shining Soul 2, which is an action RPG but more of a dungeon crawler.[/QUOTE]
Shining Soul2 is alright, but Baldur's Gate is much better.

[quote name='jer7583']Ninja Five 0 is made of a new polymimetic alloy called goldwin[/QUOTE]

This guy is an obviously expert on goldwin and one of the smartest people alive. Listen to him.

It's too bad that game's hard to find and expensive as hell.

[quote name='Nephilim']Kim Possible 2 or 3 (I know but they are pretty fun)[/QUOTE]

Are those the PS2 games? The bit of them I saw made them look like Viewtiful Joe Lite, which surprised the heck out of me.

Kim Possible 2 and 3 are not bad, but I think I hit a glitch or something in 3. They're very decent budget fare though.

The PS2 Kimmy game LOOKS like VJ, but it doesn't play like VJ at all. The entire thing is standard run-to-teh-right platforming which is inoffensive and at times pleasant, but not memorable. Combat is pure trash though. Still, for

All the talk of Contra 4 has reminded me about Justice League: The Flash, which is a pretty solid GBA brawler.

[quote name='yukine']Wait, so TMNT for the GBA is actually good? It's a shame the DS game sucks so much.[/quote]

Yeah, I havent played the DS TMNT, but the general consensus is the DS games blows, and the GBA game is great.

Ive also heard good things about that Flash game for the GBA.

And I have Kim Possible 2 and its really good. I dont watch the show at all and I still had fun with it.

[quote name='yukine']Wait, so TMNT for the GBA is actually good? It's a shame the DS game sucks so much.[/QUOTE]

I have the GBA TMNT and, yes, it is good.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that, but the Justice League Heroes: The Flash game got good reviews.

There is also Battletoads vs Double Dragon for GBC and Castlevania II Belmont's revenge for GB (You seem to be interested in all GBA games not DS games and if so it's a good bet you can run the older carts).

Also there is a GBA Altered beast game which might be considered a beat em up.

I'm just stretching here to try to find possibilities for ya.

Good Luck.

Yeah, I thought Altered Beast was pretty good. I think it got too hard (but then so many games do), but even still I had fun with it until I got stuck.

bread's done
Back