Any word on a PSTwo price drop?

SS4Brolly

CAGiversary!
I sold off my old PS2 before Christmas, so now I'm looking to get a new one. I'm thinking there might be a price drop though in the near future. So I dont want to buy one shortly before it goes down $20 or something. And that's if I can find one around here.

Normally, I would just wait, but with NBA Street 3 coming out on the 8th, I wont be able to go on not being able to play it.

Anyone hear anything?

Most likely at E3. I highly doubt it goes to $99 like i am hoping also.

I sold mine before xmas also so im in the same boat here.

You could always buy it at CC and use their price drop policy if the price drops within a month

[quote name='hutno']You could always buy it at CC and use their price drop policy if the price drops within a month[/quote]I second that. This pretty much covers everything. If it drops within a month, you get the discount back. And once you get past the price match time period I would say the extra $20 is worth the trade-off anyway... you don't wanna be without a PS2 for too long, especially with an anticipated game coming out! If it ended up dropping like 3 months later, you could tell yourself "well at least I've been playing NBA Street this whole time." Don't forget the "G" in "CAG"!

Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.

[quote name='peteyrose']Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.[/quote]

3 months is an awfully long time, can that be right?

Considering they STILL can't keep the damn things in stock and on the shelves, I think they would be pretty silly to drop the price until the next gen comes out. Just my opinion.

[quote name='secretvampire']Considering they STILL can't keep the damn things in stock and on the shelves, I think they would be pretty silly to drop the price until the next gen comes out. Just my opinion.[/quote]

They lost the chance to make a ton of money over the holidays with the shortage of consoles that MS and Sony had. This would help get sales going again.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='peteyrose']Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.[/quote]

3 months is an awfully long time, can that be right?[/quote]

I know 90 days is their normal return policy (used it back when I bought a n64) so its highly possible, I just never heard that target compensates you because of price drops.

sony is releasing the silver pstwo to stimulate the sales.

I doubt ps2 will drop..people are willing to pay 190 for it on ebay...+15 dollar shipping o_O.

just buy one now, it wont drop anytime soon, thats for sure.

[quote name='omegaweapon7']sony is releasing the silver pstwo to stimulate the sales.[/quote] in Europe. No indication has been made that they are releasing a silver one in the US.

[quote name='mtxbass1'][quote name='omegaweapon7']sony is releasing the silver pstwo to stimulate the sales.[/quote] in Europe. No indication has been made that they are releasing a silver one in the US.[/quote]

Also, they haven't released any other colors of teh PS2 hardware here. At least not in the range of normal gamers, unlike those $500 color PS2 Sony had on their site.

[quote name='hutno'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='peteyrose']Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.[/quote]

I know 90 days is their normal return policy (used it back when I bought a n64) so its highly possible, I just never heard that target compensates you because of price drops.[/quote]

Yeah, I meant 90 days.

I remember being compensated for a price drop on Chronicles of Riddick, but that was within the month that I bought the game. It might be YMMV though, I dunno.

i dont think ds will drop for a few months after psp comes out in the usa.

psp wont have many games.

ds has ds games + tons of gba games for the system.

im guessing ds will drop to 129 around thx giving.

and ps2 will drop to 99-129 around thx giving too.

people are still unsure if xbx2 will be actually coming out this year which would effect the prices of the old generation systems too.

PS2 and Xbox will both drop to $129.99

Nintendo will announce a new bundle, Gamecube w/ 2 games for $99.99

DS will drop to $129.99

SP will drop to $59.99

Just like Playstation the Playstation 2 will not see its next price drop until Playstation 3. It will drop to $99.99.

No price drop at E3 because the system is still in great demand.

However! If Xbox does a price drop Sony will match it.

There will be NO DS price drop. There will be NO SP price drop. However! If the PSP comes out at 149.99, the DS will price drop.

And Finally, there will be NO Gamecube price drop. However! if Playstation 2 and/or Xbox drop in price, so will Gamecube.

That is my prediction.

I used to work at EB. E3 seems to be the time when console drops occur. I hate to say it but your looking at 4 months before a price drop in my honest opinion.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='peteyrose']Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.[/quote]

Target's return policy is 90 days, however they will only price match a price drop within 30 days. A customer service rep told me if you want to do a price match in that 31-90 day period you basically have to buy yourself a new copy at the lower price, then return that copy to the store with your original reciept. Stupid if you ask me.

If the PSTwo does do a price drop then I'll pick up one for my collection. I don't have any where to put a top load PS2 and I'm one of the few PS2 users who actually uses the HD.

I think we'll see a price drop at E3. Microsoft will most likely announce the Xbox2 for this Christmas. So they will want to clear out stock so I would be willing to bet we'll see the Xbox drop to $129 or maybe even $99.
Sony will defiantly follow suit and drop the PS2 and Nintendo will either Drop the GameCube to $75 or Bundle it with another game or bundle it with a GBA:SP and GCN-GBA cable.

I think its unlikely the GameCube will drop much lower because any lower and the DS and GBA will be costing more. which will just look weird.

I actually see the DS having a price drop at the PSP launch. By dropping the price it will take away some of Sony's thunder. I think we'll see the DS drop to $129 or $99 (depends on the PSP price) and the GBA:SP drop to $50.

[quote name='icemanjmw13'][quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='peteyrose']Target has the same policy, except it's three months I think. If you buy something and it drops in price, you can get the difference within a 3 month time span. You might want to doublecheck, but I think that's the case.[/quote]

Target's return policy is 90 days, however they will only price match a price drop within 30 days. A customer service rep told me if you want to do a price match in that 31-90 day period you basically have to buy yourself a new copy at the lower price, then return that copy to the store with your original reciept. Stupid if you ask me.[/quote]

Might be tricky because each reciept is only going to work for a specific PS2.

No way it's dropping to $99...

I even doubt it drops to $129 around E3, because there's still very high demand.

I suspect the shortage of PS2 and Xbox over the holidays isn't due to production problem but rather to the two companies becoming very conservative about manufacturing outlays.

Both companies have big investments going into their next generation, giving incentive to keep inventory to a minimum. On Microsoft's side, they've succeeeded in establishing a brand and becoming a serious player in the console business but there is no question that the Xbox is going to see any massive gains in installed base for its remaining life. All three systems have peaked in terms of rate of sales. Since this is a heavily subsidized piece of hardware it is better to limit inventory and insure that all units made are quickly absorbed by the retail channel and sold through.

Sony has the opposite situation. Their future installed base growth for the PS2 series is limited by its massive success. While the PStwo should continue to be sold for several more years Sony has to tie up a hell of a lot of capital in getting both the PS3 and Blu-Ray off and running. Keeping PS2 stocks to a minimum frees up capital while continuing to grow its base to the extent it is still possible.

Both companies may lose a few sales here and there to consumers buying a GameCube instead but at this late stage in the generation that is unlikely. Certainly not enough to improve Nintendo's situation with their console. For most shopper the three systems aren't interchangeable. The Gamecubes are seasy to find in stock for the same reason Nintendo's profits are down severely.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nintendo27jan27,1,7829889.story?coll=la-headlines-business

[quote name='epobirs']I suspect the shortage of PS2 and Xbox over the holidays isn't due to production problem but rather to the two companies becoming very conservative about manufacturing outlays.

Both companies have big investments going into their next generation, giving incentive to keep inventory to a minimum. On Microsoft's side, they've succeeeded in establishing a brand and becoming a serious player in the console business but there is no question that the Xbox is going to see any massive gains in installed base for its remaining life. All three systems have peaked in terms of rate of sales. Since this is a heavily subsidized piece of hardware it is better to limit inventory and insure that all units made are quickly absorbed by the retail channel and sold through.

Sony has the opposite situation. Their future installed base growth for the PS2 series is limited by its massive success. While the PStwo should continue to be sold for several more years Sony has to tie up a hell of a lot of capital in getting both the PS3 and Blu-Ray off and running. Keeping PS2 stocks to a minimum frees up capital while continuing to grow its base to the extent it is still possible.

Both companies may lose a few sales here and there to consumers buying a GameCube instead but at this late stage in the generation that is unlikely. Certainly not enough to improve Nintendo's situation with their console. For most shopper the three systems aren't interchangeable. The Gamecubes are seasy to find in stock for the same reason Nintendo's profits are down severely.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nintendo27jan27,1,7829889.story?coll=la-headlines-business[/quote]

Thats understandable, but there's a fine line between keeping low inventory and no inventory. :(

[quote name='SS4Brolly'][quote name='epobirs']I suspect the shortage of PS2 and Xbox over the holidays isn't due to production problem but rather to the two companies becoming very conservative about manufacturing outlays.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nintendo27jan27,1,7829889.story?coll=la-headlines-business[/quote]

Thats understandable, but there's a fine line between keeping low inventory and no inventory. :([/quote]

According to Sony's figures they shipped half a million more machines for Q3 2004 than they did for Q3 2003. The difference is that they started 2004 with a lot of inventory in the stores but 2005 with nearly all inventory sold. Their down revenues appear to contradict this but that likely has more to do with the PS2 sellthrough peaking in 2003. The shipments of the old style PS2 stopped sooner than most people realize due to the amount of time it took the clear the existing stock from the channel in preparation for the new model.

There has been a lot of whining about how difficult it was to get a new PS2 this Xmas but the fact is that this has been overstated because the squeaky wheels are the ones that get heard. It would be a different story if Sony had to worry about the competition catching up but that race ended a long time ago for this generation. Given the choice it is a far better thing to have your demand exceed supply than the other way around. Having your product perceived as hard to find makes it easy to resist calls for lower pricing. Once the initial engineering and production tooling costs are recovered the PStwo will be the first model of the PS2 line that doesn't sell at a loss. This means Sony can still enjoy good net revenues while gross revenues are down.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=6489

[quote name='CapAmerica']If the PSTwo does do a price drop then I'll pick up one for my collection. I don't have any where to put a top load PS2 and I'm one of the few PS2 users who actually uses the HD.

I think we'll see a price drop at E3. Microsoft will most likely announce the Xbox2 for this Christmas. So they will want to clear out stock so I would be willing to bet we'll see the Xbox drop to $129 or maybe even $99.
Sony will defiantly follow suit and drop the PS2 and Nintendo will either Drop the GameCube to $75 or Bundle it with another game or bundle it with a GBA:SP and GCN-GBA cable.

I think its unlikely the GameCube will drop much lower because any lower and the DS and GBA will be costing more. which will just look weird.

I actually see the DS having a price drop at the PSP launch. By dropping the price it will take away some of Sony's thunder. I think we'll see the DS drop to $129 or $99 (depends on the PSP price) and the GBA:SP drop to $50.[/quote]

I wonder how much product Nintendo could move if they decided to bundle the SP and Gamecube and then sell it for $129.99?

[quote name='JSweeney']I wonder how much product Nintendo could move if they decided to bundle the SP and Gamecube and then sell it for $129.99?[/quote]

That would be kind of silly, selling a DS and GCN together for less than the price of a DS alone. Who here wouldn't go out and buy a spare copy of each for that price?

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3'][quote name='JSweeney']I wonder how much product Nintendo could move if they decided to bundle the SP and Gamecube and then sell it for $129.99?[/quote]

That would be kind of silly, selling a DS and GCN together for less than the price of a DS alone. Who here wouldn't go out and buy a spare copy of each for that price?[/quote]

Where did I say DS?

bread's done
Back