Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Just picked up a ton of PS2 RPG games I missed out on while in school. Created a backlog as big as my 360 one.

Disgaea 1,2, Tales of Legendia, Tales of The Abyss (mostly cuz of my huge freaking addiction to Tales of Vesperia), Silent Hill 3, SMT Devil Summoner , 1 & 2, Digital Devil Saga 1.

Also got Rule of Rose because it was Atlus and looked kind of cool. Anyone play it already? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I did the same lol, past 2 weeks I been picking up PS2 RPGs, but they are so expensive :(

so far I got Tales of Legendia / Tales of the Abyss / SMT Persona 3 FES / SMT Persona 4 / SMT Noctourn / SMT Digital Devil Saga 1 (trying to get 2 as well) / SMT Digital Devil Summoner 1&2 / Grandia 3 / Shining Force Neo / Shining Force EXA / Shining Tears / Wild Arm 3 / Wild Arm 4 / Wild Arm 5 / Unlimited Saga / Romancing Saga / Atelier Iris 2&3 (will try to get 1) / dot Hack 1 2 3 (missing a few) / Suikoden 5 / Suikoden Tactics / Suikoden 4 / Star Ocean 3 / Valkyrie Profile 2 / God of War 1&2 / Kingdom Heart 1 / 2 / Chain of Memory / Metal Gear Solid Pack / Omnishia Pack / Ar Tonelico 1&2 / Xenosaga 1/2/3

cost me a crap load of money, guess I will just re-sell once I am done =(

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an Action Replay Max the other day so I'm going through my backlog of PS2 games and finishing up ones that I started but never finished but with cheats to help me blaze through it.

Currently I'm playing Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. I was stuck on a boss and eventually gave up. It's a good game, probably the best of the 3D Castlevanias, but it's suffers from awful level design.

beat grandia III, now onto devil summoner 1, .....cant stop fusing demons..... this game will take a while to beat

I just recently got a PS2 after not having once for a few years and I have to say I regret missing out on a lot of the games that I did, but I'm making up for lost time and have built up a small library of the games I want to play and am still picking up more on an almost weekly basis, thanks in large part to such a large portion of the PS2's library being so cheap.

I'm currently playing Shining Force Neo and Samurai Showdown Anthology with plenty of other games, including Persona 4, Suikoden V, Sly Cooper, Rouge Galaxy, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and .hack//Infection waiting on my shelf to be played.

What's suikoden like?

I'm looking for an RPG that's kind of like the old pokemon games. Never been into the genre with the exception of those games (and paper Mario), and I'd like to get myself a Decent rpg on the ps2.

I've been eyeing the suikoden series and dragon quest for a while, but really don't have much idea how they play. Any suggestions?

I just beat Devil Summoner 1 on the weekend, great game!

MillerTime: Suikoden is a JRPG serie. It is nothing like the old pokemon nor paper mario (western RPG), most of the JRPG are turned based combat with a linear storyline. When in doubt, head over to youtube and look for gameplay video.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']What's suikoden like?

I'm looking for an RPG that's kind of like the old pokemon games. Never been into the genre with the exception of those games (and paper Mario), and I'd like to get myself a Decent rpg on the ps2.

I've been eyeing the suikoden series and dragon quest for a while, but really don't have much idea how they play. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Like PuppetYuber said, check gameplay videos on Youtube, that's probably the best way to see how the game plays without renting or buying it. If you're looking for something akin to Pokemon, try Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, it falls into that monster battling genre, but contains much more Mature themes. Another monster battler is Jade Cocoon, there are two games in that series, one for the PS1 and the second for the PS2, there are also other monster battlers out there, but I can't think of any others at the moment.

I've been eyeing the suikoden series and dragon quest for a while, but really don't have much idea how they play. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Monster Rancher is probably what you want as it is the most like those games.

Currently playing:

Xenosaga (Ep.1 plan to beat the series), Persona 3 and the wife and I are playing Shadow of the Colossus.

Suikoden is one of my favorite RPG series. IMO it has one of the most deep storylines in RPG history. Battles are turn based and fairly simple. During the course of the game you'll get a base of operations. There's over 100 characters to recruit and each one serves a diffrent purpose. Most are for battles but others perform services at your base (ie. Inn, Blacksmith, mini game, etc.) So the more you recruit the more your base expands.

It's pretty much unanimous that Suikoden V is the best PS2 Suikoden so give that one a shot. Having a sense of "Suikoden History" helps but not nessecary. It's a prequel but since it's part of the same world you get to see many characters when they were young and references are made to other regions in the world. Just keep in mind Suikoden V has a slow start.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Red faction is awesome! Surprised at how much fun I had with it for 4 bucks and I only played it for about a half hour. Can't wait to play more.[/QUOTE]

Question for you , or anyone else that has played Red Faction. Does the game actually have level/chapter breaks , or does it just load each new section or whatever of the game as you go?

I started playing the game the other day and expected to only play the first level or two , but then the mines kept going and going and going. Is the first level just long? I feel stupid asking this but I'm kinda confused.

I've been playing PS2 games for the whole 2 years I've had a PS3. I have 30+ PS3 games now unopened, collecting dust, and I still just use it to play PS2 games...

Last few: Dokapon Kingdom (4 months ago), Baroque (2-3 months ago), Metal Gear: Subsistence: Metal Gear 2 (1 month ago).

Now: X-Men Legends.

I have like 10 years left of PS1 and PS2 games to play through. And after that, PS3. Bring on the DRM download-only crap, cause I'm ready to completely boycott it!

[quote name='Rodimus']Suikoden is one of my favorite RPG series. IMO it has one of the most deep storylines in RPG history. Battles are turn based and fairly simple. During the course of the game you'll get a base of operations. There's over 100 characters to recruit and each one serves a diffrent purpose. Most are for battles but others perform services at your base (ie. Inn, Blacksmith, mini game, etc.) So the more you recruit the more your base expands.

It's pretty much unanimous that Suikoden V is the best PS2 Suikoden so give that one a shot. Having a sense of "Suikoden History" helps but not nessecary. It's a prequel but since it's part of the same world you get to see many characters when they were young and references are made to other regions in the world. Just keep in mind Suikoden V has a slow start.[/QUOTE]
Sweet, that actually sounds like fun. Thanks - I'll try to pick this up sometime. EB says nothing within 100 miles of me though - maybe amazon has something.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Sweet, that actually sounds like fun. Thanks - I'll try to pick this up sometime. EB says nothing within 100 miles of me though - maybe amazon has something.[/QUOTE]

No problem, I hope you enjoy it or at least find one. Remember it's got a slow start. It'll take around 10 hours before you get into the meat of the game. But it's worth it. Plus with all the characters you'll definatly find several you like.

[quote name='Rodimus'] Just keep in mind Suikoden V has a slow start.[/QUOTE]

I just got back from the festival in the other town at the beginning where potential grooms duel it out--how far away from where it picks up am I? To be honest, if it wasn't for all the "stick with it" comments I've read I probably would've put it down by now.

[quote name='keithp']I just got back from the festival in the other town at the beginning where potential grooms duel it out--how far away from where it picks up am I? To be honest, if it wasn't for all the "stick with it" comments I've read I probably would've put it down by now.[/QUOTE]

Without spoiling anything it sounds like you're still a few hours off. In the end the long start will pay off. I know if feels like you're not doing much besides running around but there's so much character development in this part of the story which makes it so engaging later on. What can I say, stick with it ;)

Been playing Raw Danger a lot, as of late. Finished the taxi driver's story and just started the school girl's story(about 10 minutes in). I would love to see a fully-realized sequel on current-gen systems.

I still haven't finished dragon quest VIII.

I started playing Megaman X collection, the original megaman x for snes, I can zip right through it from past experience with my friends back in the SNES days, after school we'd play for hours.

X 2 and 3 the bosses are more difficult but I'm trying

I still have Persona 3 and 4 to play through. Working through Devil Summoner 2 right now. And a month before Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time I intend to play through my entire Ratchet and Clank collection.

... I still need to finish the Sly Cooper series.

Honestly, I play ps3 games and ps2 games for equal amounts of time on my PS3

[quote name='BlueSwim']Been playing Raw Danger a lot, as of late. Finished the taxi driver's story and just started the school girl's story(about 10 minutes in). I would love to see a fully-realized sequel on current-gen systems.[/QUOTE]

Got this off secondspin.com a couple weeks ago, still haven't popped it in...

Fire Pro Wrestling: Returns. Hands down the best wrestling game on the PS2, IMO. It makes a point to get so many things right before worrying about graphics, which although 2d are still pretty good. Personally, I think the 2D graphics help in the CAW department as most wrestlers in other wrestling games are made via face recognition technology and therefore anything you make will never look as good as the in game characters, if normal looking at all. FPW:R sidesteps that with a sort of "he's white, he's wearing blue biker shorts with boots and kneepads and he has short hair : he's AJ Styles " kind of mentality and makes up for it with a very in dept CPU system where each character acts totally different ways based on how they'd act in the ring. You can detail what move your CAW would move at what point in a match and in what situation.

The matches are a lot more realistic and challenging, particularly at first. You cannot pull of strong moves on your opponent until you've beat them up a bit. You can only put in a button combination once for grapples. If you do it even twice you will autimatically lose the grapple. I remember I was in a match where I was Vader up against some small Japanese guy and I kept Chokeslamming him and Powerbombing him in an attempt to get a "CRITICAL", however the guy had been working me over little by little during the entire match and beats me with a Boston Crab.

Basically, I'd suggest any wrestling fan check it out. Don't let the 2D graphics deter you from this great game.

I have a backlog of ps2 games to get to. Currently playing FFX-2, and then:

FFXII
Growlanser Generations
Devil Summoner 2
ZOE 1 and 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

I recently decided to finish FFXII. Much better than I remembered. I absolutely hated the game when it came out but I'm actually enjoying it now. Graphics still look pretty good too.

I have recently got into an RPG kick and realized there are very few good RPGs for 360, so I've gone back to PS2.

I'm almost done with FFX (replaying), then going on to FFX-2, FFXII, Xenosaga, and Shadow of the Colossus. I also have God of War II in the queue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you are looking for the home console, you should probably go for the ps3 - maybe find the 40g with backwards compatability. Ps2 is good, but very outdated, and you'll probably have trouble finding games for it within the next year.
Between Ds and PS2 - ps2 overcomes, but ps3 is mostly better than ps3.

EDIT:
I also see that you have a 360.
There isn't much difference between 360 and ps3, so you are better off, yes, getting a ps2.

I had shelved my PS2 for a while after I got my 360, but I think it's time to dust it off since I never got around to playing Persona 4. The 360 is dead to me anyway until Mass Effect 2 comes out.

Also just picked up a GBA SP (the special edition NES one) for some old school portable gaming! Retro is the way to go!

[quote name='HovaEscobar']Fire Pro Wrestling: Returns. Hands down the best wrestling game on the PS2, IMO. It makes a point to get so many things right before worrying about graphics, which although 2d are still pretty good.

Basically, I'd suggest any wrestling fan check it out. Don't let the 2D graphics deter you from this great game.[/QUOTE]

I love Firepro and have been simming a fed in it for years. I stopped for a while, but fired it up again a few weeks ago when Misawa died =( and I've been playing it since.

It's the best wrestling game ever imho, with all due respect to AKI's N64 games.

I recently started my last PS2 game I have yet to beat: Nightmare of Druaga. If anyone is looking for dirt cheap simple dungeon crawl, this game is great. This could even be my last PS2 game before packing up this system unless that Sakura Wars game is any good.

I got a PS2 last year to play Guitar Hero (lol). Now that I have it for Wii, my PS2 gets almost no use, except for DVDs, but I'm getting into last gen gaming now.

Right now on my wish list for PS2 is:
-Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
-Final Fantasy X and XII.
-Okami (probably lower on the list)
-Bully
-Any Ratchet And Clank game
-GT3/4
-GTA San Andreas

Any other games I should look at getting?

I'm pretty much exclusively playing PS2 games right now. I'm working through Tokobot Plus right now, and I love it. It's pretty great, except for some camera issues. I believe it's $10 new, but I got it for $5 used, and it was worth every penny.

Playing Jak3 right now. Enjoying it for the most part (there are some frustrating moments), but I miss the simple whimsy of the original.

[quote name='Jmclark']I got a PS2 last year to play Guitar Hero (lol). Now that I have it for Wii, my PS2 gets almost no use, except for DVDs, but I'm getting into last gen gaming now.

Right now on my wish list for PS2 is:
-Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
-Final Fantasy X and XII.
-Okami (probably lower on the list)
-Bully
-Any Ratchet And Clank game
-GT3/4
-GTA San Andreas

Any other games I should look at getting?[/QUOTE]

Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Final Fantasy X-2, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King, MGS2, MGS3, Jak and Daxter, Psychonauts, Sly Cooper, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, God Hand, God of War, God of War 2, Shadow of the Colossus and Fatal Frame 2.

On my PS2, I am currently playing Psychonauts, Persona 3 FES and Final Fantasy 12. And lined up next to be played would be Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King, Rogue Galaxy, Persona 4 and Final Fantasy X-2.

Picked up XIII again (2 bucks at Gamestop, why not). Really underrated game, enjoying it thoroughly all over again. AI could be tightened up, but I can overlook this since I get to play a comic book - insane!

Do most of y'all use the wired controllers the PS2 came with or a 3rd party wireless option? I use these shitty wireless controllers I got from Target for $7. I don't like playing my PS2 often because of the lack of a good controller.

Chipping away at my backlog this past month, finishing Whirl Tour, Sly Cooper and the Thievious Racoonus, and Rumble Roses. From those, I can only recommend Sly, which was easily worth the $5 it cost me a few years back...

Currently working on Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and Phantasy Star II on the Sega Genesis Collection...

[quote name='camoor']Picked up XIII again (2 bucks at Gamestop, why not). Really underrated game, enjoying it thoroughly all over again. AI could be tightened up, but I can overlook this since I get to play a comic book - insane![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I loved the art and stellar voice acting when playing this years ago. Woulda been all over the sequel too had it been made...

I am curently working on FFXII, mercenaries 2, Soul calibur III, and Valkyrie profile 2 silmeria. If anyone has played through valkyrie profile 2 I would appreciate any comments on it about 2 hours into it and don't know if I want to continue on with it.

[quote name='mis0']Do most of y'all use the wired controllers the PS2 came with or a 3rd party wireless option? I use these shitty wireless controllers I got from Target for $7. I don't like playing my PS2 often because of the lack of a good controller.[/QUOTE]

I use a logitech wireless controller that works perfectly except for fighting games.

Kinda hard to put a portable against a home console, ya know:Bouncy:
signature_damoo.jpg
:)

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I use a logitech wireless controller that works perfectly except for fighting games.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the Logitech wireless controller is great.

bread's done
Back