Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

DQ7 is backwards compatible but it is ugly as sin. I still like it, and I played it like a full-time job when it first came out but it was an eyesore.

Um... hm. I keep thinking of more PSOne games.

Oh I know, the Champions of Norrath games are action-RPGs set in fantasy worlds. Same story with the Baldur's Gate - Dark Alliance games.

I still play a lot. I just got Black for Christmas and that game is awesome.

Question for you PS2 diehards, for the rare new games released for the system, is it better to buy upon release or wait?

My usual strategy for all PS2 games was to wait for them to drop in price, but I've noticed games like the new Silent Hill have gone OOP shortly after release and I don't want to be stuck paying OOP prices for it.

Beat FF X-2 recently. Deciding whether to play Okami or Suikoden III next. Okami is the better reviewed game but not a true RPG, and I really want to cut into my RPG backlog that is only going to get bigger with White Knight Chronicles and FF XIII coming out.

After more waiting than I care to recount, Goozex has matched me up with a full copy of Ico. As I don't own a PS2 I will give it to my friend, but will for sure borrow it (and his copy of Shadow of the Colossus) and his PS2 once he's done so I can play through it as well.

Ruahrc

I still have to finish Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, Tomb Raider Anniversary, and Myst III...I have also been itching to play FFX again...I wish my PS3 played PS2 games :(

been working on ps2 games I still have yet to complete... right now working on Grandia II... not a bad game but seems to have suffered from being ported from the Dreamcast.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I still play a lot. I just got Black for Christmas and that game is awesome.

Question for you PS2 diehards, for the rare new games released for the system, is it better to buy upon release or wait?

My usual strategy for all PS2 games was to wait for them to drop in price, but I've noticed games like the new Silent Hill have gone OOP shortly after release and I don't want to be stuck paying OOP prices for it.[/QUOTE]

For new releases, I'd say you're better off trying to buy it -- even if you're going to pay a little more. Besides, new PS2 releases are significantly cheaper. Now when I say this, I'm not talking about crappy ports of licensed games (ala GI Joe, Transformers, etc.); I'm talking about Silent Hill, Sakura Wars, Persona 4, etc. May be Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings would fall in there. I found that last game to be great fun despite the universally bad reviews.

[quote name='IndyDad']I've been playing DQ8 and wanted to know what other medieval style RPG games are available for PS2. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm ... medieval styled games ... well, DQ8 isn't exactly "medieval" since it's still very much a JRPG. DQ* is also a VERY traditional turn-based game. I don't think the earlier Champions recommendation would be the best bet since that's an RPG but pretty much a hack-and-slash affair.

For the PS2, I'd look at the following games:

Radiata Stories
Valkyrie Profile 2
Final Fantasy XII
Odin Sphere
Dark Cloud II
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia

The bottom three here are more sci-fi than medieval but still worth a look.
Grandia III
Shining Force EXA
Rogue Galaxy
Wild Arms 5

Y'know what's nuts? I was at Wal-mart today, trolling for a couple of the 3 game bundles that I don't have (Hitman set, Need for Speed Underground set, Medal of Honor set) when I found a new, sealed copy of Choro Q. Blew my mind. The game is like five years old and it is still sitting there, complete with the old white sticker on top. The tag said seven buck but it scanned at ten. I didn't want to haggle for the three dollar difference so I left it. I'm trying to think of another situation where I've found a game that old in a retail store (outside of a reprint or bundle) but I can't. I bet some Wal-marts still have Saturn games buried in the back.

I'm still working through FF XII. I'm getting close to where I left off back in early 2007. I'm using the guide to avoid ruining future treasures. It was going well until I accidentally saw the boss of the game. :bomb:

[quote name='Halo05']I bet some Wal-marts still have Saturn games buried in the back.
[/QUOTE]
Occasionally if I'm bored while my wife is shopping at Walmart, I'll look at the gigantic unlabeled display case they have packed with games (some of which are split in half due to being used as shelves by other games), to see what random 5+ year old games I can find in there. Lots of nice garbage in there.

I'm actually playing PS1 games (FFIX!) on my PS2 right now, so I'm slowly regressing.

Hey all, just wanted someones opinion on the Ratchet and clank games. I have up your arsenal (I believe that is the third game?) and was wondering if it is worth playing them in order, and if I should even bother getting the earlier titles.

[quote name='Kaoz']Hey all, just wanted someones opinion on the Ratchet and clank games. I have up your arsenal (I believe that is the third game?) and was wondering if it is worth playing them in order, and if I should even bother getting the earlier titles.[/QUOTE]

I played the first 3 Ratchet & Clank games (and the third is Up Your Arsenal). I don't think it's neccessary to play them in order. You might be a little lost on some characters (who is Captain Quark), but it's not something you won't pick up on very quickly (that or you can just wikipedia the games and read thorugh a short synopsis of the plots of the first 2).

That being said, I won't say not to bother with the first 2, because all 3 games are fun (and the later PS2 ones might be too, haven't played them). R&C is one of these weird games that it's hard to put on exactly what they improved in each ones, yet they are so fun to play.

If you have Up Your Arsenal, just start there, you may find that you want to get the other ones just to enjoy them.

I decided today that I'm going to start up a new game of Final Fantasy XII, with my own "Zodiac Job System" rules-- I'll decide in advance whether each character will wear light or heavy armor, what weapon types they specialize in, and what magic they know, and stick to it.

[quote name='Kaoz']Hey all, just wanted someones opinion on the Ratchet and clank games. I have up your arsenal (I believe that is the third game?) and was wondering if it is worth playing them in order, and if I should even bother getting the earlier titles.[/QUOTE]

The first and second would be worth it for the "story" --- but the Ratchet games are not really story-driven. Still, the first two are fun games though you may find it hard to not have certain extra abilities and tweaks Insomniac made by the third title.

Deadlocked (the "4th" game -- more multi-player based) and Secret Agent Clank (the PSP title that was converted over to the PS2) are the next two installments (aside from the two R&C games on the PS3). Neither of these PS2 releases are really part of the original R&C canon. In fact, Secret Agent wasn't even made by Insomniac. I never played these latter two but they've received decent scores -- odds are not as polished to perfection as the core R&C trilogy on the PS2.

If you like R&C, then I would also check out the Sly Cooper trilogy. Those three games are pretty solid -- not perhaps as "fun" as R&C, but Sucker Punch (the developer) certainly gave this trilogy real soul and charisma.

[quote name='romeogbs19']The first and second would be worth it for the "story" --- but the Ratchet games are not really story-driven. Still, the first two are fun games though you may find it hard to not have certain extra abilities and tweaks Insomniac made by the third title.

Deadlocked (the "4th" game -- more multi-player based) and Secret Agent Clank (the PSP title that was converted over to the PS2) are the next two installments (aside from the two R&C games on the PS3). Neither of these PS2 releases are really part of the original R&C canon. In fact, Secret Agent wasn't even made by Insomniac. I never played these latter two but they've received decent scores -- odds are not as polished to perfection as the core R&C trilogy on the PS2.

If you like R&C, then I would also check out the Sly Cooper trilogy. Those three games are pretty solid -- not perhaps as "fun" as R&C, but Sucker Punch (the developer) certainly gave this trilogy real soul and charisma.[/QUOTE]

Sly cooper 1 is awesome, still need to get 2 and 3.

I went ahead and bought ratchet 1 and 2 off of ebay and what a mistake that was. I dont get why people bother to send broken games out.

I love having a PS1 memory card for the PS2. It makes it a lot easier to go back and play the old games. Just started up FF VI, which I recently acquired.

I had some GS credit to burn so I picked up a used copy of Yakuza 2. I figured that game would be a logical jumping point into the series, since it seems that you don't need to have played the first to get some that game's back story. It'll help determine if I want to order the 3rd game, especially since GS is offering $5 off the final price if you pre-order, and I have a $10 off coupon from buying Dark Void.

I play just a few select games nowadays, having lost the others in moving house:

.hack//INFECTION
Resident Evil Outbreak
Burnout 3
Final Fantasy X/X-2/XII

Can't forget the good ol' PS1 games either:

In Cold Blood
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
Spyro the Dragon
Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX

Tomb Raider 1. This game doesn't run on PS3. Which is totally weird since this game does run on PS3 through PSN version.

[quote name='laaj']Tomb Raider 1. This game doesn't run on PS3. Which is totally weird since this game does run on PS3 through PSN version.[/QUOTE]

I have my original Tomb Raider 1 disc from when it first came out, and it works fine on my PS3(launch 60gb)

Oh, and I recently dusted off and hooked up my PS2 and started playing Persona 4, great game, I should have tried this earlier! (I find that PS2 games look worse on the PS3..)

[quote name='Dezuria']I have my original Tomb Raider 1 disc from when it first came out, and it works fine on my PS3(launch 60gb)
[/QUOTE]

I have the greastest hits version. So that could be it (this version has 2 PS1 demos included in the startup screen) or it could be that my PS3 is a different model. Now I own every single TR games ever! 1-3 on PS1, 4-5 on DC, 6-7 on PS2 and 8 on 360. For those of you interested in TR games, get them now. All of them are going for like under $10.

Edit>Did you tried to start up the game itself? My PS3 can display the title screen but game crashes when I tried to start any level.

Recent got Final Fantasy X, haven't played it yet, I'm trying to like the turned based games because I know I'm missing out on a lot. I'm also considering looking into God of War II.

[quote name='whoknows']I recently got Devil Summoner 2 randomly and I've been hooked on it. Great game.[/QUOTE]

I bought this but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. what's the best part of it?

[quote name='sinkingships']I bought this but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. what's the best part of it?[/QUOTE]

The Raidou plushie! Kidding. :lol:

Was really tempted to pick up some of the $2, $3 and $4 games for ps2 I saw at gamestop. was mostly drek like summoner 2, tak, and others but I resisted.

[quote name='BennyWii']SLY COOPER 2! Great Platformer. When is it coming to PS3?[/QUOTE]

i loved the original sly cooper but i didn't really like the other characters.. that would be sweet if it came to PS3 though.

[quote name='saturnotaku']I had some GS credit to burn so I picked up a used copy of Yakuza 2. I figured that game would be a logical jumping point into the series, since it seems that you don't need to have played the first to get some that game's back story. It'll help determine if I want to order the 3rd game, especially since GS is offering $5 off the final price if you pre-order, and I have a $10 off coupon from buying Dark Void.[/QUOTE]

I started Yakuza 2, and I just can't find the motivation to keep playing it. I'll have to restart it just to go through the combat tutorials again. But yes, you do NOT need to play the 1st - Yakuza 2's intro recaps all of the events from the 1st game (you can skip that if you want, too). The recaps are so detailed, in fact, that for a moment, I thought I had somehow gotten Yakuza 1 with a Yakuza 2 label on it! F*CK! :lol: But no, just recaps to bring you up to speed.

[quote name='Dezuria']Oh, and I recently dusted off and hooked up my PS2 and started playing Persona 4, great game, I should have tried this earlier! (I find that PS2 games look worse on the PS3..)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think PS2 games look a little blurry on PS3... might be our HDTVs...

I'm keeping my PS2 and an old, SD TV, just in case.

Im also playing through Yakuza 2 in preparation for the launch of 3. In between Yakuza I am also working in some WRC, Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero and Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2.

Id never given the TXR series a decent try, as the control/physics always seemed off to me. However, since there are so few drifitng games in the US, I figured I should give them a fair shot.

I've been playing Atelier Iris 1 hoping to work through all three but my wife got tired of hearing "Norn wins, Norn wins" so I moved onto the second probably will go back to the first tomorrow. (though I hate to the second one's battle system was so much better.)

Currently playing thru these:

Scooby Doo: Mystery Mayhem- Start of 2nd Eposide
Disney's Treasure Planet- Found 12 beacons so far, on the 3rd area...Eco Valley
Ford Racing: Off Road- Just started this morning and a few races in, got me 3 vehicles in my garage so far, just bought a Black Ford F-150!.

[quote name='eldergamer']Was really tempted to pick up some of the $2, $3 and $4 games for ps2 I saw at gamestop. was mostly drek like summoner 2, tak, and others but I resisted.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the first Tak game quite a bit. It's got some funny parts in it, as well as some fun puzzles. If you like 3D action platformers, then you should definitely pick it up. It's sooooo much better than those other THQ games like Spongebob and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger.

i just started splinter cell double agent and im loving it. very cool game so far, im at the prison break out level. after this i still have FF12 and Persona 3 FES to handle.

They keep making guitar hero games, and I keep buying them, I can't justify buying guitar's for my Xbox 360 when the PS2 still works,:roll:

Found a tru $20 gc in my drawer so I just ordered Shadow of the Colossus.

Oh, and I'm about to replay Okami.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back