Anybody still playing PS2? What games are you playing?

[quote name='lilman']Found a tru $20 gc in my drawer so I just ordered Shadow of the Colossus.[/QUOTE]

That game supports 480P output, so if you have component cables with a nice TV you should give it a try. I forget the exact way you enable it, but I believe you hold down Triangle and X during startup.

[quote name='2DMention']I've been playing Dragon Quest 8 as part of my Dragon Quest marathon.[/QUOTE]

^
That game rocks
I just bought Chulip ready pop it in when I hook my ps2 up

i just beat Splinter Cell Double Agent, not a bad game, started strong and got kind of weaker toward the end, i wish they would have focused more on making big decisions for each side. im now playing Silent Hill Origins about 3 hours into that. Its a pretty creepy game and my first entry into the Silent Hill games. Kind of a lot of back tracking i can see that getting on my nerves later but im going to keep on plowing through.

[quote name='lilman']Found a tru $20 gc in my drawer so I just ordered Shadow of the Colossus.

Oh, and I'm about to replay Okami.[/QUOTE]

For some odd reason, my friends and I decided to pull an all-nighter as a result of a horrendous school week. Consequently, we ended up playing Shadow of the Colossus. Shortly after, we finished SMT: Persona 4.

Great game!

Still play Street Fighter III 3rd strike and Capcom vs SnK 2. Still trying to complete my PS2 library tbh.

Decided to go and *finally* play a few titles sitting on my shelf:

- Vampire Night (Amazing shooter from Namco and Sega)
- Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams (So underrated and so beautiful looking)
- Red Star (old school shooter that Acclaim never got around to publishing -- thank you, Xseed)

[quote name='romeogbs19']Decided to go and *finally* play a few titles sitting on my shelf:

- Red Star (old school shooter that Acclaim never got around to publishing -- thank you, Xseed)[/QUOTE] got Red Star got too year or ago it very cool game.

Persona 3: FES, at the moment. Still got a huge backlog of games to push through, with Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and Ico to finish after this, amongst others...

I'm on my God of War Marathon. Still trying to beat GOW2. :bomb:

After that, maybe time for some Hitman: Contracts as I recently ordered The Hitman Trilogy thru Play-Asia :bouncy:

Playing Red Ninja: End of Honor.

I love running towards the enemy, and them turning around to see what the commotion is only to be annihilated. Good times!

[quote name='whoknows']Started Raw Danger and wow...this game is
AMAZING!!
[/QUOTE]

It and it's prequel Disaster Report are two of the most underrated games on the PS2 IMHO. Totally different no enemies, zombies, or anything else, but a refreshingly cool experience nonetheless. I never did play through and get the other 2-3 endings for the game.

Makes me hope "I am alive" is something in that vein.

[quote name='romeogbs19']Decided to go and *finally* play a few titles sitting on my shelf:

- Red Star (old school shooter that Acclaim never got around to publishing -- thank you, Xseed)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is an awesome light gun game, hard as balls to be extremely accurate with your shots though. heh.

And not to nitpick but it was XS Games, not XSeed. Publisher of some quality budget tiered titles. ;)

[quote name='uncle5555']

Yeah it is an awesome light gun game, hard as balls to be extremely accurate with your shots though. heh.

And not to nitpick but it was XS Games, not XSeed. Publisher of some quality budget tiered titles. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for correcting me :) I had no idea XS and XSeed were different companies.

[quote name='phooart']Bought Persona 4 recently. Still have a huge PS2 backlog to clear before I can even think of playing it :cry:[/QUOTE]

I say screw your PS2 backlog and just play P4.

Currently playing Yakuza 1. This is the first time I've touched my PS2 since I got my PS3 back in October '09.

[quote name='Rodimus']I say screw your PS2 backlog and just play P4.[/QUOTE]
Why didn't I think of that before? Thanks!!! :bouncy: :D

I'm going to start playing my PS2 more again once we get a TV up in our bedroom. I tell my wife the TV is so we can watch movies before drifting off to sleep, and that's true, but really it's mostly so I can play video games before drifting off to sleep. :) I'm going to have an NGC and a PS2 hooked up to it, both via component. I may pick up a copy of P4, but I tried to play P3 FES and never got more then a few hours into it and ended up trading it in. Nice atmosphere, but I couldn't get that much into it, but that's partly because I'm often too tired by the time we get the kids to bed and so just never get around to it, so this new setup will be perfect. Still, I'll probably end up playing SSX Tricky and calling it a night. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm going to start playing my PS2 more again once we get a TV up in our bedroom. I tell my wife the TV is so we can watch movies before drifting off to sleep, and that's true, but really it's mostly so I can play video games before drifting off to sleep. :) I'm going to have an NGC and a PS2 hooked up to it, both via component. I may pick up a copy of P4, but I tried to play P3 FES and never got more then a few hours into it and ended up trading it in. Nice atmosphere, but I couldn't get that much into it, but that's partly because I'm often too tired by the time we get the kids to bed and so just never get around to it, so this new setup will be perfect. Still, I'll probably end up playing SSX Tricky and calling it a night. :)[/QUOTE]

I was the same way -- I think P4 is a much tighter experience. The story's pace is faster than P3 so even if you didn't like P3, I'd recommend giving P4 a shot. A lot more happens in the first 2 hours of P4 than in the first 5 hours of P3.

I bought my PS2 Slim back in 2005.

I could have bought a PS3 several times since it was released, without GT5 however I see no point, so until that game is released....

I am currently playing a few games but I have set goals for my PS2 Slim -

• Play and Finish All The Pro Race Driver Games
  • Play All GTA in order (3D Games Only)
  • Purchase Games That Still Have Online Support

I have the original Pro Race Driver for PC, however I don't like dragging my wheel out to play racing games on my desktop mainly because its my Media PC. In any event, I will pick up the original game for the PS2 as soon as I remember to do so :). I already have PRD2 and PRD3, currently between 50-55% complete on both.

I finished GTA3 roughly 8-9 months ago. It belongs to my friend. I recently picked up GTA Vice City for $5 from GS. That will be started soon.

I have been using Online Consoles to find games still with Online Support. Seems some games are still popular and supported. I picked up Twisted Metal: Black just to play online but found out server went dark the week before it was delivered - :roll: but I will play its mission mode here soon.

The PS2 has plenty of life left in it, look how many people use emulators for the older Playstation and play older games, including myself. Games are cheap for the most part and still look good even if not in HD.

Well, you know what, I've been buying GT3 and GT4 in a bid to kick start my GT collection before GT5 officially comes out. :D

Am I weird or something? Has anyone else been buying back PS2 titles consistently like I am? :lol:

[quote name='phooart']Well, you know what, I've been buying GT3 and GT4 in a bid to kick start my GT collection before GT5 officially comes out. :D

Am I weird or something? Has anyone else been buying back PS2 titles consistently like I am? :lol:[/QUOTE]

No, I bought Just Cause (probably play the PC version I bought with it, because it's really ugly lookin' :cold:) , Snoopy vs. the Red Baron, Spy Fiction, Indigo Prophecy and MK Shaolin Monks just in the past month. Hadn't bought a PS2 game before that since probably Nov./Dec. of last year.

I was thinking about Sakura Wars, but probably going to pass, I have too many JRPG's on PS2 I haven't played yet and it didn't look overly appealing to me after watching videos and such of the game.

So no it's just not you. ;)

[quote name='phooart']
Am I weird or something? Has anyone else been buying back PS2 titles consistently like I am? :lol:[/QUOTE]

No, it's not weird, though it's going to be awfully time-consuming and hard-to-do at this point. I haven't bought many PS2 (or old-gen) games in a while. My collection was pretty much done a while ago. There are a few (few!) I still look for occasionally, but I'm big on the game's condition (all my games are spankin' new or about as new as new gets with it being open). Finding old-gen titles that are in those conditions is harder and harder by the day.

Good luck building your collection, though ;-) The PS2 is an awesome system.

[quote name='phooart']

I've been doing the same thing... They're just so cheap! :bouncy:

i got like 50-60 new and sealed ps2 games . if you into buying them look for black label with security strip. some black label may worth $40 but the same game with black label and security strip is worth 2x or 3x more

What games on PS2 are worth getting in 2010, for owners of next generation consoles? GT4, THPS3, and GoW have no place in the library of someone who has a PS3/360. Those types of games rank high on Metacritic because they once were the best out there. Times have changed. GT4 is probably worse than Forza 3 or GT5. THPS3 is probably worse than Skate 2. GoW is probably worse than the PS3 collection.

See where I'm going here? What games are actually worth getting? Also, I played a demo of SotC on Jampak 14[?] and I didn't like it. What am I missing?

I see what you're saying and I agree with the examples you used (although THPS3 could be argued for) but it isn't usually that cut and dry.

For example, Grand Theft Auto 4 looks much better than its prequels and features all sorts of new stuff like online play, DLC, and the like. That said, I still prefer GTA San Andreas because I think C.J. is a much more believable and well-rounded character compared to Niko. I also like the early 90s SoCal setting more than present day NYC because I lived in Southern California in the 80s/early 90s.

There are a ton of compilations on PS2 that don't have equivalent comps on PS3/360. The first two Midway compilations are good fun. The third is... poorly emulated but depending on your level of devotion to San Francisco Rush, can be worth playing. Taito Legends 1 and 2 are great.

I don't know what you're missing about SotC, I loved that game. My biggest complaint was that it wasn't delayed and launched for the PS3 so all the frame rate hiccups and other technical issues could be ironed out.

[quote name='Halo05']I see what you're saying and I agree with the examples you used (although THPS3 could be argued for) but it isn't usually that cut and dry.

For example, Grand Theft Auto 4 looks much better than its prequels and features all sorts of new stuff like online play, DLC, and the like. That said, I still prefer GTA San Andreas because I think C.J. is a much more believable and well-rounded character compared to Niko. I also like the early 90s SoCal setting more than present day NYC because I lived in Southern California in the 80s/early 90s.

There are a ton of compilations on PS2 that don't have equivalent comps on PS3/360. The first two Midway compilations are good fun. The third is... poorly emulated but depending on your level of devotion to San Francisco Rush, can be worth playing. Taito Legends 1 and 2 are great.

I don't know what you're missing about SotC, I loved that game. My biggest complaint was that it wasn't delayed and launched for the PS3 so all the frame rate hiccups and other technical issues could be ironed out.[/QUOTE]
Wow, every time I give THPS3 shit on here I regret it. I even own the game and enjoy it a little, I just think the entire TH series got very stale very quickly.

I purposefully didn't mention GTA. (Is SR2 / JC2 better than GTA4? What about SA?)

How do the DLC stack up for GTA4?

I'm going through Onimusha 2 and 3. I almost beat 3 years ago but quit for no reason and have yet to play 2. Great games. I hope Capcom is working on a new one.

^^ Unlikely, as the fourth game in the series tanked at retail, no one asked for it, and not surprisingly, no one bought it either.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I'm currently nearing the end of Persona 3 with almost 70 hours in. I only have about 30 more PS2 RPG's to play after this...[/QUOTE]

You and me both, and I have about 10+ PS1(!!!) RPG's (not counting other genres either) to play as well.

You can't imagine the backlog I have of games I have (literally) considering I bought some of them almost 10 years ago and they still haven't been played any more than 10-15 minutes at max to make sure they worked. It's insane.

[quote name='uncle5555']You and me both, and I have about 10+ PS1(!!!) RPG's (not counting other genres either) to play as well.

You can't imagine the backlog I have of games I have (literally) considering I bought some of them almost 10 years ago and they still haven't been played any more than 10-15 minutes at max to make sure they worked. It's insane.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my PS2 RPG backlog right now looks something like this:
Ar Tonelico 1&2
Atelier Iris 1, 2 & 3
Final Fantasy X-2
Grandia 3
Kingdom Hearts 1&2
Mana Khemia 1&2
Sakura Wars
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
SMT: Devil Summoner 1&2
SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2
SMT: Nocturne
SMT: Persona 4
Suikoden 3&5
Tales of the Abyss
Wild Arms 3, 4, & 5
Xenosaga 1, 2, & 3

That's not even all of my PS2 RPG's...

Still have Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest VIII SMT: Devil Summoner 2 ,and Persona 4 to play ...hopefully I can get to them someday. And now need to Finish Yakuza 1&2 before I bite on 3. I still really like my PS2. Really JRPG's haven't really changed that much over the last 10 years.... I can overlook the graphics, hell I still think nethack is cool

[quote name='Doomed']Wow, every time I give THPS3 shit on here I regret it. I even own the game and enjoy it a little, I just think the entire TH series got very stale very quickly.

I purposefully didn't mention GTA. (Is SR2 / JC2 better than GTA4? What about SA?)

How do the DLC stack up for GTA4?[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to give shit about Tony Hawk. I agree that it got stale but for most, I don't think it got really stale until the "Underground" games or even later. Opinions and all that though.

I sort of enjoy the first GTA4 DLC but if you have to pay full price for it, I'd skip it. I got it back when there was some kind of deal at Amazon where you could order it and (I think) a 3 month XBL membership for $20.

I haven't tried Saint's Row 2 but it's sitting here unopened thanks to Best Buy clearing out the Limited Edition of it last year. I have heard that it is more over the top than GTA4 and many people like it for that.

Never played Just Cause 2 beyond the demo although as soon as it drops to under $30, I'll be getting it. I don't think it's very close to the GTA games because it is much more military oriented but I do think it craps all over the woeful Mercenaries 2 (with its similar vehicle-heavy combat and military hardware).

As far as other PS2 games that haven't been superseded by current-gen titles, I know NFL 2k5 still enjoys a following in the wake of Madden's dominance. I don't really play enough football games to pick a winner but there's obviously something there beyond simply wanting to stick it to EA. Finally, I'd consider Resident Evil 4, in all its incarnations, superior to RE5. The Wii version is probably my favorite but I'd still pick playing the game on PS2 over running through RE5 on 360 or PS3.

I tried playing the copy of Nocturne I picked up from Amazon a while back on my PS3, and it didn't work. Going to hook up my PS2 and see if it works on that.

[quote name='doodofdoods']I tried playing the copy of Nocturne I picked up from Amazon a while back on my PS3, and it didn't work. Going to hook up my PS2 and see if it works on that.[/QUOTE]

The 2nd printing was known to have issues and not work at all in some cases. You might have (unfortunately) gotten one of those.

bread's done
Back