Anyone here displeased with KOTOR 2?

Sk

CAGiversary!
I know I am.

Heres my reasons...
1. The first one was one of my favorite games story wise (I love star wars) and KOTOR 2 story sucks so far.

2. You start off as a Jedi with no light saber, yet you have all the powers. Some what makes the game easier IMO, to have Jedi powers, but a Jedi without a light saber just seems so wrong to me. I understand the main characture's problem but still a jedi needs a light saber.

3. The graphics suck and have little to no improvement over KOTOR 1.(the graphics really didn't bother me with KOTOR 1 but they should have at least updated the game engine a bit more.)

4. Keeping in touch with all your charactures is a pain. They really didn't need that whole influence system.

5. Holy cow does this game have a massive amount of slow down. All the large battles are a pain (and there are a lot of big battles). Sometimes you'll die from just slow down and not knowing whats going on.

6. Its buggy as hell (so was the first one but not this bad). Dialog skips, the game crashes, and sometimes my items have no effect (i.e. medpack not working.)

7. The artwork is the same as the first game and no additional style is added, this game just looks like an expansion of the first game and not really a sequal.

8. Nothing is improved over the first game other than the force powers and for the most part KOTOR 2 is a general downgrade from the origonal.

Overall this game seems rushed and not very well planed out. It kind of made me sad. Still its better than 90% of the crap that comes out these days.

I'm not saying I hate this game I enjoy playing it, but its negitives are starting to bother me greatly. Nothing is really improved upon in this game. For the most part the first KOTOR is a way better game, story wise and game play wise.

I feel the same way. It's just not fun. The same goes for Metroid Prime 2. It seems like games these days are becoming more and more like rushed, rehashed sequels than a true gameplay experience.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']I feel the same way. It's just not fun. The same goes for Metroid Prime 2. It seems like games these days are becoming more and more like rushed, rehashed sequels than a true gameplay experience.[/quote]
Bingo thats a good way to put it. Everything seems rehashed. (A little off topic but heres my rant on GTA...)Thats why I hate the GTA series but everyone seems to think I'm crazy, its the same game as the PS1 versions but in 3D.

I was one of the few people who didnt enjoy the first, so the second is no-go. I'm personnaly waiting for the EP. III game so i can actually control the lightsabre for once.

I never realized there might be somebody out there besides me who didn't like this game as much as the first. But I couldn't agree with you more - I was hoping there would be a little better quality - in my opinion, it wasn't as groundbreaking as it could be - similar to Rogue Agent.

[quote name='joevan07']I never realized there might be somebody out there besides me who didn't like this game as much as the first. But I couldn't agree with you more - I was hoping there would be a little better quality - in my opinion, it wasn't as groundbreaking as it could be - similar to Rogue Agent.[/quote]
That is agreeable. This game isn't a let down to the Star Wars franchise, its more so just a let down to the fans of the KOTOR series. Really bioware should have finished what they started and not have OBSIDIAN take over. (I know the reason why bioware didn't do KOTOR 2.) OBSIDIAN didn't even change the menus of the game lazy bastard, its seems like a cut and past game. (I.E.Cut out what they don't want from the origonal and past some new additions.)

wow, I'm enjoying the game a ton. It's one of maybe 3 games that has held my attention in the last few years. I love it.

Speaking of sequel let-downs, is Prince of Persia 2 as big a let-down as these? I've heard varying reports...

[quote name='BlueWingX']Speaking of sequel let-downs, is Prince of Persia 2 as big a let-down as these? I've heard varying reports...[/quote]
I wasn't a fan of the first. Also on another note, I hated the first metroid prime. (a fPS action game based in the Metroid universe seemed odd to me.) I wish my game cube could have got some use this year, I haven't touched it in almost a year, I can't wait for RE4 though, but my PS2 went through the same stage at one point.

All sequels this year seemed to be a let down.

I found KOTOR 2 to be quite dissapointing, that first planet asteroid place just plain sucks and I was hoping the game would get better after I left but sadly that was not the case. I wanted so much to like it that I dumped about 8 hours in but I finally just gave up.

I actually like the game a lot more. Unlike many other sequal, a new team has to work using engine from another team. Orgnially this game is suppose to be out next year, but Republic commando was delay and Lucas Art needs a game for chrisimas. I found it hard to blame the developer here. I personally find the story and character to be better thn the first, and I think they did a great job with the limited time they have. Sadly, there won't be a KOTOR3 as the new president of Lucas Art is putting all projects on hold.

[quote name='62t']Sadly, there won't be a KOTOR3 as the new president of Lucas Art is putting all projects on hold.[/quote]

It is sells well enough it will simply be farmed out again, but yes Lucas Arts has been promising a ton of sequels and then canceling them all, its gotten quite depressing.

[quote name='62t']I actually like the game a lot more. Unlike many other sequal, a new team has to work using engine from another team. Orgnially this game is suppose to be out next year, but Republic commando was delay and Lucas Art needs a game for chrisimas. I found it hard to blame the developer here. I personally find the story and character to be better thn the first, and I think they did a great job with the limited time they have. Sadly, there won't be a KOTOR3 as the new president of Lucas Art is putting all projects on hold.[/quote]
I can't see why a 3rd wouldn't be made, they have the game engine and its one of the best selling Star Wars series of all time. I'm sure KOTOR 2 will also sell extremely well.

I never was a big fan of KOTOR. I tried hard to get into it. I got so far and just lost interest. The same is true of Metroid Prime. I would buy this (kotor2) at $14.99 however. ;)

I haven't played KOTOR 2 yet, though this is depressing to be hearing. I am looking forward to the game (I plan to pick it up in the $20 range).

But, I'm getting sick of rushed sequals. I think games need to be done, and then released. Maybe games need to become more like movies, where they are finished, and then put on hold until its release date. That has to be better than rushing stuff out for the holiday rush. Maybe have your big holiday game done in June, then hold it until November for its release (I'm sure Halo 2 was done a bit in advance).

Secondly, for the person who ragged Halo 2 as being rushed and not living up to the hype, I respectfully disagree. I got it for Christmas, and I'm only playing offline right now. I'm really enjoying it overall. I think the campaign has been solid. The gameplay is actually more fun than the first with the dual weapons. Campaigning with a friend (something I didn't do with the first game) is great fun.

The other games, I haven't played yet, so I can't make a comment.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, particularly the new influence over the other characters you can have. It makes for more interesting interactions, knowing that you can alter the NPC's future responses.

However, the game is buggy to a fault. I wish someone had sent it through QA a couple more times before sending it out the door.

To be honest, I absolutely love this game. Aside from Tales of Symphonia, it's the only game that I've been rushing home to play for this year's releases. I agree that the game is buggy as hell (I could spend several minutes waiting for the next line of dialogue. At first I thought my Xbox may finally be going bad, but now that I hear it's the game, my panic attack has ceased.)

It's a rush job, yes, I am happy to play it, but they moved it up with too many bugs. A few more months and this baby would've rocked. I for one enjoy the story and everything else, this is an early pick for my favorite game this year. But yeah, it needs more polish. Still, fans of the first one will enjoy this, despite the glitches. They're annoying, but overall don't really detract from the gameplay.

I'm assuming most of you are about 8-10 hours in. I think you should give the game more time. Yes it does feel like a expansion pack but I liked the first so more of the same equals good for me.

I don't post on CAG too much anymore, but hopefully I'm still allowed to pull a Sweeney.

[quote name='Sk']1. The first one was one of my favorite games story wise (I love star wars) and KOTOR 2 story sucks so far.[/quote]

That's funny. Most of the complaints I've heard until now have said that the story was too SIMILAR to the first.

Personally, I think the story in KOTOR2 trumps that of the first. Compare the two side by and side, and it just makes the first game look hamhanded and cliched.

[quote name='Sk']2. You start off as a Jedi with no light saber, yet you have all the powers. Some what makes the game easier IMO, to have Jedi powers, but a Jedi without a light saber just seems so wrong to me. I understand the main characture's problem but still a jedi needs a light saber.[/quote]

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. It's part of the story that the main character does not have a lightsaber. You make a new one pretty early on as well. And you don't have all the powers. You might have a few by the time you complete the first area or two, but it's closer to the middle of the game before you really feel like your main character is a Jedi (due to the powers he/she will have then).

[quote name='Sk']3. The graphics suck and have little to no improvement over KOTOR 1.(the graphics really didn't bother me with KOTOR 1 but they should have at least updated the game engine a bit more.)[/quote]

If the graphics suck, then I guess the graphics in KOTOR1 sucked as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

[quote name='Sk']4. Keeping in touch with all your charactures is a pain. They really didn't need that whole influence system. [/quote]

This sounds like someone who doesn't understand the influence system in the slightest. It's incredibly easy to learn...just respond to characters in a manner you think they'd best respond to. If you can't grasp that, then I'd really hate to see you in real life social situations.

[quote name='Sk']5. Holy cow does this game have a massive amount of slow down. All the large battles are a pain (and there are a lot of big battles). Sometimes you'll die from just slow down and not knowing whats going on.[/quote]

I've only seen the 'massive amount of slowdown' once or twice in three play throughs of the game. Guess I must be lucky. :roll:

[quote name='Sk']6. Its buggy as hell (so was the first one but not this bad). Dialog skips, the game crashes, and sometimes my items have no effect (i.e. medpack not working.)[/quote]

This I'll agree with you on, partially. While I've only run into maybe four or five glitches, two of which resulted in me reloading an earlier save, I've heard too many reports of games not loading proper cut scenes and the like. It probably could have used another 2-4 months in beta.

[quote name='Sk']7. The artwork is the same as the first game and no additional style is added, this game just looks like an expansion of the first game and not really a sequal.[/quote]

Call me crazy but didn't you cover this already? Did we get #6 on the list and feel we needed some filler?

[quote name='Sk']8. Nothing is improved over the first game other than the force powers and for the most part KOTOR 2 is a general downgrade from the origonal.[/quote]

Call me crazy but didn't you cover this already? Uh...right.

Should I point out that there are new Force powers, new feats, a new crafting system, upgrades to weapons and armor are actually good now (as opposed to being an afterthought in KOTOR1), and that each character has a unique ability? How about the fact that you can train people in your party to be Jedi? Or that depending on whether you play male or female, light side or dark, affects who joins your party, as well as how the game ends?

[quote name='Sk']I'm not saying I hate this game I enjoy playing it, but its negitives are starting to bother me greatly. Nothing is really improved upon in this game. For the most part the first KOTOR is a way better game, story wise and game play wise.[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more. Anyone remember when WSB played the first KOTOR? He nearly disappeared. I could see why. Well, KOTOR2 got me the same way. I played it exclusively for over two weeks (this is an impressive feat in my world). I would rush home from work everyday to get another 6 or 7 hours of play in. On the weekends, I had to force myself to get out of the house, just for a little while, otherwise I would have played KOTOR2 for 16 solid hours and probably screwed up my Xbox in the process. Granted, it has too many bugs, but hopefully that will serve as a wakeup call to LucasArts and whoever develops the next game. Other than that, it gets my Xbox Game of the Year nod.

Mrs. Cheapy and I are about 10 hours in and are enjoying it so far.
I haven't run into any bugs (that I know of) yet.
This time, Mrs. Cheapy is letting me go Dark Side :twisted:

I personally am enjoying it as much as the first. I find the story to be more interesting as well as the characters. I don't generally play rpg type games for the graphics so I am not bothered by the fact that the graphics have not been updated. I have only run into one bug and two slowdowns which lasted a few seconds in easyl battles.

The only things I am a bit disappointed in are that Dantooine and Korriban are basically retreads. I also am finding it easier than the first thus far (about 18 hours in).

the only thing that really drives me nuts about kotor 2 are the framerate drops. now that we are in the later stages of software for the xbox, why are there any games that have sluggish framerate? drives me nuts.

i liked the game, but the ending sucked to me. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so that I all I will say.

So...the game is buggy, and obviously rushed, but other than those little minor details it is the best xbox game of the year????

[quote name='PsyClerk']I don't post on CAG too much anymore, but hopefully I'm still allowed to pull a Sweeney.

[quote name='Sk']1. The first one was one of my favorite games story wise (I love star wars) and KOTOR 2 story sucks so far.[/quote]

That's funny. Most of the complaints I've heard until now have said that the story was too SIMILAR to the first.

Personally, I think the story in KOTOR2 trumps that of the first. Compare the two side by and side, and it just makes the first game look hamhanded and cliched.

[quote name='Sk']2. You start off as a Jedi with no light saber, yet you have all the powers. Some what makes the game easier IMO, to have Jedi powers, but a Jedi without a light saber just seems so wrong to me. I understand the main characture's problem but still a jedi needs a light saber.[/quote]

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. It's part of the story that the main character does not have a lightsaber. You make a new one pretty early on as well. And you don't have all the powers. You might have a few by the time you complete the first area or two, but it's closer to the middle of the game before you really feel like your main character is a Jedi (due to the powers he/she will have then).

[quote name='Sk']3. The graphics suck and have little to no improvement over KOTOR 1.(the graphics really didn't bother me with KOTOR 1 but they should have at least updated the game engine a bit more.)[/quote]

If the graphics suck, then I guess the graphics in KOTOR1 sucked as well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

[quote name='Sk']4. Keeping in touch with all your charactures is a pain. They really didn't need that whole influence system. [/quote]

This sounds like someone who doesn't understand the influence system in the slightest. It's incredibly easy to learn...just respond to characters in a manner you think they'd best respond to. If you can't grasp that, then I'd really hate to see you in real life social situations.

[quote name='Sk']5. Holy cow does this game have a massive amount of slow down. All the large battles are a pain (and there are a lot of big battles). Sometimes you'll die from just slow down and not knowing whats going on.[/quote]

I've only seen the 'massive amount of slowdown' once or twice in three play throughs of the game. Guess I must be lucky. :roll:

[quote name='Sk']6. Its buggy as hell (so was the first one but not this bad). Dialog skips, the game crashes, and sometimes my items have no effect (i.e. medpack not working.)[/quote]

This I'll agree with you on, partially. While I've only run into maybe four or five glitches, two of which resulted in me reloading an earlier save, I've heard too many reports of games not loading proper cut scenes and the like. It probably could have used another 2-4 months in beta.

[quote name='Sk']7. The artwork is the same as the first game and no additional style is added, this game just looks like an expansion of the first game and not really a sequal.[/quote]

Call me crazy but didn't you cover this already? Did we get #6 on the list and feel we needed some filler?

[quote name='Sk']8. Nothing is improved over the first game other than the force powers and for the most part KOTOR 2 is a general downgrade from the origonal.[/quote]

Call me crazy but didn't you cover this already? Uh...right.

Should I point out that there are new Force powers, new feats, a new crafting system, upgrades to weapons and armor are actually good now (as opposed to being an afterthought in KOTOR1), and that each character has a unique ability? How about the fact that you can train people in your party to be Jedi? Or that depending on whether you play male or female, light side or dark, affects who joins your party, as well as how the game ends?

[quote name='Sk']I'm not saying I hate this game I enjoy playing it, but its negitives are starting to bother me greatly. Nothing is really improved upon in this game. For the most part the first KOTOR is a way better game, story wise and game play wise.[/quote]

I couldn't disagree more. Anyone remember when WSB played the first KOTOR? He nearly disappeared. I could see why. Well, KOTOR2 got me the same way. I played it exclusively for over two weeks (this is an impressive feat in my world). I would rush home from work everyday to get another 6 or 7 hours of play in. On the weekends, I had to force myself to get out of the house, just for a little while, otherwise I would have played KOTOR2 for 16 solid hours and probably screwed up my Xbox in the process. Granted, it has too many bugs, but hopefully that will serve as a wakeup call to LucasArts and whoever develops the next game. Other than that, it gets my Xbox Game of the Year nod.[/quote]

[quote name='wastedyears']So...the game is buggy, and obviously rushed, but other than those little minor details it is the best xbox game of the year????[/quote]Yes, he just said that this game is his GOTY. Is that hard to believe?

[quote name='CheapyD']Mrs. Cheapy and I are about 10 hours in and are enjoying it so far.
This time, Mrs. Cheapy is letting me go Dark Side :twisted:[/quote] :lol: Do you like it better, dark? :twisted:

[quote name='CheapyD']Mrs. Cheapy and I are about 10 hours in and are enjoying it so far.
This time, Mrs. Cheapy is letting me go Dark Side :twisted:[/quote]

Oh you will experience bugs, trust me on that.... :wink: I'm about 17 or so hours in. Really this game is a disappointment. In all truth all additions in this game are minor and do little to improve the overall main game quality. Now if you go indepth then the changes the delveloper made are slightly better than the first IMO.

On another note, I'd say this game would be on my do not buy at full price list of games. I'd see it a better value at 30 or 20 dollars, if it wasn't a gift and I knew about all things that I dislike about it, I'd wait till it went platinum hits in status. (Same goes with Star Ocean 3... :( )

I've only rented it so far (unlike the first which I picked up off the bat, I'm going to wait for this one to be cheaper since I don't have neough money as it is this holiday season) and really have ben liking it. None of the OP's original statment at all are true. It's exactly as psyclerk pointed out in his earlier post. I'm am truly enjoying this game as much as the first. I was a hu8ge fan of the first. I have only encountered maybe one framrate drop but that is it. Haven't seen any other glitches or bugs. The graphics are a slight improvement of the first (what's not broke don't fix) and gameplaywise it is just incredible. It is one of my favorite games ever. Sure it could have used maybe a couple months more in beta but it is still pretty good. It does kind of feal like a mix between a true sequel and just an expansion, which either are both good things since I loved the first so much and just want more of the same really. Most of the claims by the OP I find very unfounded (sorry if this sounds like bashing, but I'm just disagreeing with your outlook on the game).

[quote name='wastedyears']So...the game is buggy, and obviously rushed, but other than those little minor details it is the best xbox game of the year????[/quote]

What's confusing about it? The game has bugs, yes, but I have not run into one that was game destroying. The two times I had to reload a save, I lost at most 30 minutes, and I'd conservatively estimate that 20 of those minutes were me dicking around, not really fighting monsters or advancing the story. However, other people have reported that they've had to restart a game. Most of the time this is because they only save to one or maybe two files. I've seen enough reports of it over on GameFAQs (I had nearly 200 posts on the KOTOR2 board over there at one time, helping folks) that I believe it to be a problem. But since it's not been a problem for me personally, it doesn't factor into my GOTY choice.

I will add this. The save files are friggin' huge. I have about 8 saves per game, so around two dozen KOTOR2 save files on my hard drive. I looked at how large they were...altogether it was something like 36000 blocks. That's triple the TOTAL amount I was using before I had KOTOR2. I thought some of the created teams/seasons on my sports games had huge save files...KOTOR2 blows them away, space-wise.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I've only rented it so far (unlike the first which I picked up off the bat, I'm going to wait for this one to be cheaper since I don't have neough money as it is this holiday season) and really have ben liking it. None of the OP's original statment at all are true. It's exactly as psyclerk pointed out in his earlier post. I'm am truly enjoying this game as much as the first. I was a hu8ge fan of the first. I have only encountered maybe one framrate drop but that is it. Haven't seen any other glitches or bugs. The graphics are a slight improvement of the first (what's not broke don't fix) and gameplaywise it is just incredible. It is one of my favorite games ever. Sure it could have used maybe a couple months more in beta but it is still pretty good. It does kind of feal like a mix between a true sequel and just an expansion, which either are both good things since I loved the first so much and just want more of the same really. Most of the claims by the OP I find very unfounded (sorry if this sounds like bashing, but I'm just disagreeing with your outlook on the game).[/quote]
How isn't what I said true, the game is buggy, ugly (The first KOTOR was ugly too but the game play was so great you could over look that fact), and has a ton of slow down. Almost everyone has experienced the same problems as me. I was only adding some input as to what I thought was wrong with the game. Really this game didn't have enough work done to it to deserve a full purchase price, now at 30 or 20 dollars its a better value. (So I hope people will wait it out.) Basically your getting KOTOR 1 with a new story and minor improvements but nothing drastic and your not getting an over more inspiring experience as a gamer. I know for a fact that this game would be way more fun without all the bugs and slowdown problems. Really its uncalled for, this game has a lower polygon count than most higher end XBOX games and it doesn't have high res textures, all this slow down could have been fixed and should have been. All the bugs and errors in this game could have been fixed with a little more time. (Even some of the characture models are the exact same as KOTOR 1, they didn't even bother to add more facial sturctures in the game thats just pure laziness) This game is a rehash at best, and it really disapoints me because I love the first game. Still the game play is fun because it was taken directly out of KOTOR 1 (and had minor improvements added). I'm not saying its a bad game it really isn't mporved upon the first nor is it innovative.

I'm pretty deep into the game, and find it to be more enjoyable than the first...the gameplay is certainly improved, as is the art style (albeit not by much). The glitches are numerous, but have not been fatal.

[quote name='Rozz']To think I almost paid $50 for this.[/quote]
Just hold out till its cheaper or on sale. I still recomend you pick up this game if you liked the first one or are a star wars fan. I just wouldn't pay full price for it if your not super hardcore into the KOTOR series.

i was very displeased wit the first 10 or so hours of this game, but since its been amazing(especially with the introduction of lightsabers in it). Im 40 hrs into it and i jus now found out the duplicate lightsabers glitch and now i got like 15 lightsabers kicks ass.

I was enjoying KOTOR 2 until the end. The ending was very underwhelming. Plus the glitches were too distracting. For example, in the final battle, I was using the Master Heal power to get back some VP. Well, after I would use it, my next melee attack would redo the Master Heal effect giving me more VP while it took hit points off the enemy making me pretty much immortal.

Besides the glitches and the slow framerates, the end battle was really lame, though I don't want to spoil it. I loved the first KOTOR, but 2 left me cold.

I decided to wait for the PC version because I have a good PC and I can hardly wait. How long did it take most of you guys to beat KotOR 2?

[quote name='Kaijufan']I decided to wait for the PC version because I have a good PC and I can hardly wait. How long did it take most of you guys to beat KotOR 2?[/quote]

First time through, about 40 hours. Second time, about 25 hours.

I bought it and returned it without playin it..............

LOL, honest! I didn't like the first one and i'l not into Star Wars and not really that into role playing games so i bought it at GR using the trade in 2 crap games get it for $29.99 and was gonna sell it to a friend but noone wanted to buy it so i just opened it was gonna try it but never did and traded it back 2 GR for $35 credit.

I'm about 35 hours in and I love the game. Just as good as the first. Sure there are some small buggy issues, but they don't affect the overall enjoyment of the game.

I love KOTOR II. Best game on the Xbox system and kicks the crap out of KOTOR. Both are killer games but II is much better. But that is just me.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='MaskedPlague']35 hours to finish. Ouch![/quote]

It was suppose to be more than that, over 40 is what I heard.[/quote]

I will check it. I was a little shocked when it ended. May be closer to forty, but I did not really struggle with anyquests or sidequests. I also did not swoop race or play Pazaak much at all.

KOTOR2 took me over 32 hours to finish as well.

KOTOR2 was a very good game overall, but improvement wise it was lacking. KOTOR1 still seemed to have a better story for me (although KOTOR2 was longer and at times deeper) and better characters. KOTOR2 also felt alot easier then the first, but maybe because of my previous experience with KOTOR1, it felt natural. The ending was also rather weak sauce, but what game has had a good ending this year?

Just finished it last night. Took 34 hours to finish.

Buggy as hell! This was clearly a rush job in every sense. I crashed 4 times over the course of my travels, though it didn't end up costing me too much playtime as an autosave was nearby. Got my journal so screwed up by doings things slightly out of order that I couldn't use it anymore. The constant load times actually make you want to not travel between planets as often. Massive amounts of slowdown. Though they rarely affected gameplay, I ran into a few of these chugs during some battles where I had less than single digit FPS. Re-hashing the same areas as the first game just made me mad that I paid full price for this title. There isn't an ounce of polish to be found here at all, save for some decent VO.

Still not sure what to make of the story. It certainly lacks the finesse of the first game, and basically rides its coattails. The "boss fights" (no spoilers here) are ridiculously easy. The item creation system is useless, as is most of the junk you end up picking up.

This should be considered an expansion pack instead of a full sequel as the improvements are minimal. Although I was completely dissapointed by this game, I still slogged through to the bitter end. Only recommended for those who LOVED the first. Hopefully, the errors and mistakes can be resolved for a third one, as this is nearly a franchise killer for me.

bread's done
Back