Anyone playing in the LOTR online free trial beta?

i have a serial key and im signed up and all, plus i have the installation files, but im hearing it's REALLY bad...so i dunno...

I would like some impressions that are leaning to the unbiased side... Wait for gamespy etc to get reveiws up before listening to anyone who says they heard X from someone.... Everyone enjoys a different experience of gameplay so hang tight and see what reveiwers have to say before jumping in...

I have been in the closed beta and have thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact I pre-ordered it from shop.mtv.com for $23 shipped!

[quote name='guyver2077']i created my charcter, played for like 2 mins.. and then uninstalled[/QUOTE]

Was it that bad? I mainly heard that it's just generic as hell.

I just started it & I think it's great so far. From what I've read around a majority of the people seem to like it...

Definitely feels very polished, looks great, I like how some of the instances are integrated. The character creation had a good amount of options you can choose which also depends slightly on what region you are from (Gondor, etc) I'm not into PvP...but it is supposed to be pretty neat with the Raids VS. Raids VS. E style that they have going on.

Biggest complaint I've heard is that it's very "WOW-ish", which I guess isn't a BAD thing really. I would probably buy it & subscribe...but I don't know...I'm just not a HUGE fan of the LOTR franchise.

It should do well though...

Yea I played it a while ago through fileplanet and I thought it was meh. I felt like I was playing a modded version of D&D Online which felt pretty bland, its made by the same guys, Turbine. I didn't really see much fun as I was just grinding the whole time and I don't like that so I'll go back to playing Guild Wars where they're storylines and objectives in the missions you play.

I'm hooked already and plan to subscribe. At first it didn't seem that great to me, but I think the quests are very well done and I love the deeds and traits system. After playing Star Wars Galaxies a few years ago, the crafting system in LOTRO feels very basic though. When I first heard about monster play I thought it sounded kind of dumb, but it's a fun diversion to go to the Ettenmoors and kill hobbits to buy additional skills for your monster character. Eventually there will be other players there to fight against too. I'd suggest to everyone to give the game a try while it's free, and at least get to level 10 so you can monster play.

I tried, but everytime I tried to boot up the game, my computer froze. Apparently a lot of other people were having that problem. Since I've heard it sucks, I haven't bothered to try and fix that problem. I play WoW anyway, I don't have the time to get hooked into another MMORPG.

At first I thought the game was meh. But after playing it more, it kinda grew on me. I'm still debating if I want to buy it though. I can say this...the game is good/fun but it feels like it's missing something. Really hard to figure this out since the lvl cap for beta is 15. Maybe it's because you can't play the evil side fully. There's a place in the game where you can play but I mean as from the beginning.

I haven't had a real chance yet. Unfortunatly I think my main PC probably isn't good enough to play it that well (it's in that weird situation where it both looks and runs much worse than WoW).

First obvious thing is that the interface is totally ripped off of WoW, which is sort of funny, but obviously not a bad thing! What I saw of it in the few minutes I played seemed fun/competent, and I look forward to trying more.

So release is today. What servers are you playing on if you plan to get it? I'm playing on Elindir (sp). I don't think we can but I wouldn't mind taking my char to a server where most of us are on.

[quote name='Psykodelik']So release is today. What servers are you playing on if you plan to get it? I'm playing on Elindir (sp). I don't think we can but I wouldn't mind taking my char to a server where most of us are on.[/QUOTE]
I'm on Elendilmir too. Last night the server was packed, it was crazy. I haven't seen that many people online since the stress test in closed beta. Looks like they are bringing the servers down today to address the congestion issues.

heya red...what's your in-game name? Maybe we can team up sometime. Booga is my toon. If you play offpeak, that'd be great. If not maybe the weekend or some other time. Anyways hit me a tell when you can. See ya in-game.

Yeah it's packed as hell.

bread's done
Back