Arizona Congresswoman Giffords (D-AZ) Shot During Public Event

[quote name='Sporadic']You post that as if the guy knew anything more than Giffords = democrat/liberal destroying this country. Considering the people he killed, including a child, I doubt he knew or cared that the judge was appointed by Bush.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be making the assumption that he equated Rep Giffords with the democratic party or liberals and targeted her for that reason. (Incidentally, I dont think a blue dog dem would be classified as "liberal" by most). The youtube ramblings do nothing to indicate that would be why she was targeted. Its just as likely she was targeted merely for being a rep from his district. He seems to disdain all government. It's way to early to speculate what his true motives were.

This is why I hate politics so much. We're all just arguing about why our side is better. People are dead but what's important now is why I'm right and you're wrong. But that's all politics are any more in the first place, just one huge pissing contest where nothing actually gets done. Then we wonder why nothing fucking works in this country any more.

[quote name='caltab']You seem to be making the assumption that he equated Rep Giffords with the democratic party or liberals and targeted her for that reason. The youtube ramblings do nothing to indicate that would be why she was targeted. Its just as likely she was targeted merely for being a rep from his district. He seems to disdain all government. It's way to early to speculate what his true motives were.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, it seems like ever since this rise in right-wing violence started up, that they are more concerned with disassociating themselves from it than the events that happened and their tactics that are pushing unstable people over the edge.

So yeah, excuse me for taking the tiny leap and thinking that this was politically motivated...when she has been harassed in the past for supporting the health care bill...until all the facts come in.

And as much as I dislike Myke sometimes, he nailed it in his post.

[quote name='Msut77']I have no idea why people think the US is immune to political violence.[/QUOTE]

we should be.

[quote name='Msut77']I have no idea why people think the US is immune to political violence.[/QUOTE]

If the gunman looks like Nidal Hasan they understand it. But if they look like Tim McVeigh then it's going to be played up by the media as a lone nut.

[quote name='Msut77']Why?[/QUOTE]

not saying it inst necessary or a reality, saying I wish it weren't. We do a lot of talking about the political process. The political process is a joke.

Temporaryscars posted a link to an article. The article was off-topic. Thus, Temporaryscars posted a link to an off-topic article.

Hopefully some good comes out of this in that the Republican and Tea party get outlawed and Sarah Palin atleast gets convicted of manslaughter. It's obvious she's the main cause of this tragedy. Children died as well. God how does this despicable women sleep at night?

The guy that did this was a nut job, plain and simple. Personally, I don't blame anyone but the shooter himself but if Palin bears any responsibility, then it's only fair to also blame Obama for creating such a divisive political environment. Feeding fuel to the fire with hysterical political rhetoric is simply exacerbating the problem.

Looks like the congresswoman is in critical condition but the doctors seem optimistic after her surgery.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Are you sure?

journalist_guns.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, that made me lol. srsly.

I've been drinking way too much to make a decent point here (or read the news or form cogent sentences) but is there any chance that the judge was the target? He certified a class action and was the target of right wing insanity radio for being foolish enough to uniformly apply our laws.

[quote name='speedracer']I've been drinking way too much to make a decent point here (or read the news or form cogent sentences) but is there any chance that the judge was the target? He certified a class action and was the target of right wing insanity radio for being foolish enough to uniformly apply our laws.[/QUOTE]
The judge was a subject of threats and had used security in the past but AFAIK he was not "publicly" scheduled to be at the event today, which would seem to make his being a target less likely.

The always "apolitical" sheriff Dupnik stated Giffords was the target . . . and when asked about the rumored suicide note said he couldn't comment on that- one might infer that he does indeed know the target.

[quote name='rumblebear']http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1/8/934410/-Sarah-Palin-put-the-guns-crosshairs-on-Gabby-Giffords

. . . Sarah Palin's direct role in the killings.[/QUOTE]
sigh.

The lies and vitriol in this thread are disgusting. This is a tragedy and people placing blame are doing nothing but politicizing it. This guy is a nutjob.

And all this BS about the tea party and Glenn Beck and Palin being violent needs to stop. Grow up. Because 8/28 was so violent, right? And Beck never preaches to never use violence, right? That's all he ever does, for crying out loud! He is the first to denounce anyone who uses violence. Glenn Beck regularly asks his listeners to pray for the President! Not only for his guidance, but specifically for his safety. He asks that everyone pray for the Secret Service that they can do their job properly. Myke, have you ever listened to him? I mean really sat down and listened to his complete thought process? Or do you just cherry pick the bits from the Daily Kos and the Huffington Post that are COMPLETELY out of context like the rest of the extreme left does? You want to see violent people? What about people like Cloward and Piven or Van Jones or Richard Trumka, etc. who have all openly called for a violent uprising from the left? Workers of the world unite! Top down, bottom up, inside out. You want scary stuff? Listen to these people's speeches or read crap like Rules for Radicals. You think that "right-wing fear mongering" has got people scared? Think again, it's the words of the left that has got people scared.

But back on topic, for crying out loud... Stop your bs for once... People have died and a U.S. congresswoman is probably a vegetable. Have some decency. Nobody wants this. Nobody wants people dead. Despite my political differences with her, she's a good person. And the other victims probably were too. So stop it.

EDIT: Recent info is that Giffords was, in fact, the target. Also, there is a second white male in his 50's who is sought as a possible second suspect.

EDIT2: A suspicious package outside her office was just detonated by the bomb squad...

Last edited by a moderator:
I quoted an actual Tea Party member (not some random one either, a Senate candidate), the response was either silence or some dipshit prattling about proper pronouns.

This wouldn't the first time the first time right wing elimnationist rhetoric has become reality.

Even if people like Beck or the Tea crowd don't want people actually dead they definitely don't mind their "enemies" think there is a chance someone will take a shot at them.

[quote name='Msut77']dipshit prattling about proper pronouns.
[/QUOTE]
More pearls of wisdom- and thanks for elevating the debate.

Of course the antithesis has never been true, left wing radio pundits and hosts have never called for a conservative President to be assassinated over the national airwaves (not mere metaphor of a "stakes through the hearts of bloodsuckers" but more directly stated but only in "jest");

Never photos of conservatives with cross-hairs superimposed directly over them (not just over their district).

No fantasy snuff films about assassinations and the fallout of real government members deaths-

no placards nor pickets signs with death wishes for elected officials.

. . . it's all new
. . . only from the right
. . . just the great unwashed
. . . recent right-wing vitriol exclusively.

Just excuse me while the "dipshit prattles" on.

[quote name='MorPhiend']The lies and vitriol in this thread are disgusting. This is a tragedy and people placing blame are doing nothing but politicizing it. This guy is a nutjob.

And all this BS about the tea party and Glenn Beck and Palin being violent needs to stop. Grow up. Because 8/28 was so violent, right? And Beck never preaches to never use violence, right? That's all he ever does, for crying out loud! He is the first to denounce anyone who uses violence. Glenn Beck regularly asks his listeners to pray for the President! Not only for his guidance, but specifically for his safety. He asks that everyone pray for the Secret Service that they can do their job properly. Myke, have you ever listened to him? I mean really sat down and listened to his complete thought process? Or do you just cherry pick the bits from the Daily Kos and the Huffington Post that are COMPLETELY out of context like the rest of the extreme left does? You want to see violent people? What about people like Cloward and Piven or Van Jones or Richard Trumka, etc. who have all openly called for a violent uprising from the left? Workers of the world unite! Top down, bottom up, inside out. You want scary stuff? Listen to these people's speeches or read crap like Rules for Radicals. You think that "right-wing fear mongering" has got people scared? Think again, it's the words of the left that has got people scared.

But back on topic, for crying out loud... Stop your bs for once... People have died and a U.S. congresswoman is probably a vegetable. Have some decency. Nobody wants this. Nobody wants people dead. Despite my political differences with her, she's a good person. And the other victims probably were too. So stop it.

EDIT: Recent info is that Giffords was, in fact, the target. Also, there is a second white male in his 50's who is sought as a possible second suspect.

EDIT2: A suspicious package outside her office was just detonated by the bomb squad...[/QUOTE]

I was wondering when religion would make an appearance in this thread.

[quote name='neocisco']And...?[/QUOTE]

Nothing really, just wondering.:) I don't like the politicizing of this tragedy either, but I'm not going to defend either party, as the extremes in both parties are equally as bad to me.

Arizona Sheriff Dupnik said in his press conference:
“I would just like to say that when you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government, the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. I think that people who are unbalanced are susceptible to vitriol.”

[quote name='Msut77']Arizona Sheriff Dupnik said in his press conference:
“I would just like to say that when you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government, the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. I think that people who are unbalanced are susceptible to vitriol.”[/QUOTE]

I watched the interview live, the verbal finger wagging and jabs at "talk radio" and cable news dripped from his mouth like honey- I couldn't tell if he were more gleeful or angry.

It was like he was flush faced and drunk on schadenfreude, granted my perception of him is colored by his past PR conferences and grandstanding.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Myke, have you ever listened to him?[/quote]

Every day. No shit.

Cloward and Piven

You've never read a word of Piven and Cloward on your own in your life. Prove me wrong on that.

She's responsive, so she's not likely to be incapacitated (as you otherwise put it so crassly).

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:lol:
mykevermin- Winner: the CAG you'd most like to have a beer with 6 years running.[/QUOTE]

Hope you're being sarcastic

[quote name='mykevermin']Every day. No shit.

You've never read a word of Piven and Cloward on your own in your life. Prove me wrong on that.

She's responsive, so she's not likely to be incapacitated (as you otherwise put it so crassly).[/QUOTE]

If you've listened to him every day then you know what I said about him is true. Prove what I said wrong.

I don't know how you want me to prove that I have read "The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty". I don't know how to prove to you that I listen to every speech or interview (new or old) of Frances Piven's that I come across. I don't know how to prove to you that I have read Saul Alinsky or Cass Sunstein. I really don't know what you want me to say, but I do my homework. I don't take anyone's word anymore. I find people's own words and use those against them. The same words of the extreme left that are what's scaring people today.

I didn't say anything crass. I merely stated what could be the case and how terrible it is that people are politicizing such a case. I do hope she somehow makes a full recovery, but the fact is that a bullet going clean through your brain is going to make anything close to a full recovery very unlikely. It's amazing she is alive at all.

[quote name='mykevermin'] watched 12 Monkeys for the first time around late last night[/QUOTE]

love that movie.

what can you say... its a tragedy. but the guy is clearly batshit insane.

anyone who wants to insist that this is because of the tea party and/or republicans is just going to further divide the political void (and those goes for everyone from olbermann and oreilly, who will without a doubt both do it come monday).

Last edited by a moderator:
Man first the coffin on the lawn, then Parriello and the gas lines, then the curb stomp, and now this shooting. It seems the past 13 months have been crazier than usual. But still this has got to be the first assassination attempt (hopefully she lives) against a official since the Bush shootings in 01.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']anyone who wants to insist that this is because of the tea party and/or republicans is just going to further divide the political void (and those goes for everyone from olbermann and oreilly, who will without a doubt both do it come monday).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Nothing indicates he was clearly on one side or the other. He's just a schizophrenic nutjob. Let's just leave it at that.

I guess it is up to me to point out what is blindingly obvious.

The suspects mental state is not a total get out of jail free card, Jim David Adkisson was unhinged as well.

If the "argument" is that these people are so crazy they take the crazy shit the right wing pumps out daily seriously, then maybe just maybe right wingers should tone down the rhetoric.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth by certain morons here and Sarah Palin shoving all references to Giffords down the memory hole seems to points to them being aware of their complicity.

Rhetoric can have consequences and I believe you will continue to see incidents.

Yes, rhetoric has it's consequences. Even more so when there's a right wing nutjob behind steel sights. After all, it's republican rhetoric that makes right-wing people commit crazy, murderous acts, and they're just acting out the intentions that all conservatives feel. Funny that when leftists accidentally go off the deep end, it's an isolated, insane, idiot and has no ties to any other leftist associations.

It will be interesting to see how fast this topic is ignored by the left when it's found out that this ignoramous was one of their own and a communist nutjob. Hell, even CNN reported his love for the Communist Manifesto, which is one of their own founding documents. Then they went on to describe the lax gun laws in Arizona as a contributing factor that made him do this. Gotta love the Communist News Network.

He probably went off the deep end when republicans took back the house and ended the second coming of the progressive era. I'm sure taking out a republican rep was his only option in that crazy, brainwashed head of his. Yep, communist rhetoric never makes people insane enough to do things like this, therefore he must have just been an unstable individual. Ah, if only we could find a reason to silence all those right-wingers, we'd finally achive balance and true happiness - besides shooting them, I mean.

[quote name='MorPhiend']The lies and vitriol in this thread are disgusting. This is a tragedy and people placing blame are doing nothing but politicizing it. This guy is a nutjob.

EDIT2: A suspicious package outside her office was just detonated by the bomb squad...[/QUOTE]
You know how to read between lines, right? If I'm saying some hateful shit, then tell you not to use violence against anyone, does that completely erase what I just said before? Beck and people like him are masters of double talk. He works people up with his grand conspiratorial diatribes, then tells them not to get violent? And you don 't see what he's doing there?

Is that all it takes to absolve someone from any sort of responsibility whatsoever? Just calling "no violence!"?

And asking someone to pray for anything has to be one of the most hollow, meaningless things a person can ask another to do. It's cheap, it costs nothing, it has no meaning at all. It sure makes you look good to the bible thumpers though.

I won't even get into his personal integrity and the advertising he does.

Just read that the little girl that was killed was born on 9/11. Sad to see a young life bookended by unusually tragic events.

Yes, I know tragedy happens everyday so lets not even bring up that ridiculous point.

It really makes you question your faith, if you have any left.

[quote name='Msut77']Arizona Sheriff Dupnik said in his press conference:
“I would just like to say that when you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government, the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous. I think that people who are unbalanced are susceptible to vitriol.”[/QUOTE]

Further proof Sarah Palin is to blame.

First it was the Ft. Hood shootings. Then it was Joseph Andrew Stack. Then it was the Times Square bomber. Now it's Jared Lee Loughner. Every time it's blamed on the Tea Party and/or Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin. Now the info is coming out that this guy was a demented, committed leftist socialist like Stack. The guy hates religion, loves pot, loves the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf... Does this sound like a Glenn Beck fan or an Olberman fan? Speaking of which, I don't know if you saw it RAM, but Olberman already blamed Glenn Beck yesterday afternoon. I mean, I think the blame game is lame. The guy is a whacko. But if we're gonna do it people, let's look at the facts.

You wanna call GB an SP and Fox News complicit? Let's see what the Daily Kos had to say about Gabrielle Giffords: http://hillbuzz.org/2011/01/08/my-c...two-days-before-assassination-attempt-on-her/

Not only did they have a hit piece on her a few days ago (that has been scrubbed from the web - screen grabs ftw) saying she is "dead to me", but last year in the primaries, they had a bullseye on Giffords to be taken out. So stop all this "right-wing rhetoric" bs.

I was happy to say that the guy was a nutjob not associated to any sane "side", despite that early in the afternoon yesterday his leftist loving mindset was exposed. But if you whack-jobs in here want to keep screaming that Beck and the TP are to blame, let's just look at the facts. Again, look at who the guy idolizes and look at some the the progressive/socialists I named earlier. They are the ones calling for blood and violence, not the TP.

EDIT: You want violent rhetoric?
"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun." Obama 6/14/08
"I want you to argue with them and get in their face." Obama 9/17/08

The agenda has been there the whole time.

[quote name='MorPhiend']I was happy to say that the guy was a nutjob not associated to any sane "side"[/QUOTE]

Really? Cause this kinda contradicts that:

[quote name='MorPhiend']I was happy to say that the guy was a nutjob not associated to any sane "side", despite that early in the afternoon yesterday his leftist loving mindset was exposed.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MorPhiend']
"I want you to argue with them and get in their face." Obama 9/17/08
[/QUOTE]

I remember this one day in high school, these two kids were talking smack at each other in hall right, it was wicked crazy, nawsayinnawsayin, and then this one homeskillet gets all up in that one dood's grill, like RAISE DAY ROOF way up, check it, and he's all like WUTWUT and then the other guys head asploded. And we were all like sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet bro he was just chillaxin' all the way live, there was no need for the frontin' with the mind bullets, yo.

bread's done
Back