Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Gen. Discussion & Info

Wow the demo is beautiful. I didn't get a chance to play since it was late so I don't really have an opinion other than they should remake Banjo 1 and 2 using this engine. It looks fantastic. Even though I want a true sequel (Banjo 3), I hope the game will be fun anyway...

Well, after playing the Demo awhile, here are my thoughts.

1. Make the text bigger! I'm sure it looks fine on an HDTV, but on standard definition the text is just too small.

2. The worlds are huge!!! I'm mean they're gigantic! Both on the horizontal and vertical planes. I wouldn't like to tackle these worlds on foot. That's where the vehicles come in.

3. People are being way too hard on the controls. The first vehicle you build has almost no grip whatsoever. As the game progresses Better vehicles would handle much better.

4. The vehicles have an incredible ammount of customization options. There's some unbelievable depth there. I haven't tried Xbox live yet, but it has the potential to be really fun because of everyones unique vehicles.

5. As much as people complain about platformers being dead, you would think they would appreciate Rare giving the genre a breath of fresh air. Yes, it takes some getting used to, but it still feels like a platformer to me in the end. And more importantly, it still feels like Banjo, with a twist of course.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Demo and I think the retail game will be awesome. My only real gripe is the text. It's just way too small. But that could be corrected with a patch.

i haven't got a chance to play the demo cuz my Live account just expired. does anyone know how many days it takes for Silver members to be able to download Demos? i want try this game in order to determine whether to keep my preorder for it. i can't wait for this game and i hope it really is good, even tho some people are giving mixed feelings towards it so far. i think it might depend on tastes and what people prefer cuz some people never played the original or didn't like the original so yeah...

Well, I played the demo for a bit, then went on Amazon and canceled my preorder. The game, while interesting, wasn't as great as I was hoping it would be. I'll consider picking it up when it's around $20.

Yeah I am canceling mine after work and picking up Fallout 3 collectors I was on the fence about fallout but liked oblivion and the fallout series so yeah. The demo just sucked. From what I was told from those who have been lucky to play the full game already (I work for a gaming site) it's 90% driving and 10% platform game. F-That If I wanna drive I will play PGR4 or something like that. I will just cough up the 1200 MS points for the orginal Banjo Game on teh marketplace next month.

Little dissapointed by the demo.

HOWEVER, it is for my little sisters as a christmas present. I'll let them try the demo and ask them how they like it

I spent an hour or so with the demo and thought that it matched up pretty well with how Rare has been describing the game for months now. I went in expecting about 90% vehicle use and that is pretty much what I got.

That being said I, along with many others from the sounds of it, thought that game looked fantastic and did a pretty decent job of giving off the old Banjo Kazooie vibe through its music and humor. The controls were a little finicky but, like someone said earlier, you begin with wheels that have poor grip. I have the game preordered and am excited for its release date.

People are getting really creative in multiplayer. I've seen mechs, scorpions, airships and a huge fist. I'm personally using a spider-tank that works well for both match types. I want more parts.

I don't know what to think. It's pretty neat and it seems like you are just after jiggies which is what the first two games amounted to.... it's just that you use vehicles instead of running around to get them. The demo is kind of fun but I think I might have gotten my fill of the game already...

After playing the demo for 2 hours straight, I really like this game. The platforming is still there and is still fun. And the vehicles are amazing/.

If it were $60, I'd absolutely pass. But for $36 from Amazon and with the free B-K game via XBLA, I think it's worth it, so far anyways.

[quote name='Decker']If it were $60, I'd absolutely pass. But for $36 from Amazon and with the free B-K game via XBLA, I think it's worth it, so far anyways.[/quote]

That's how I feel, if more games came with free XBLA ones I'd be in trouble haha.

When you pickup the game I believe. I pre-ordered it, paid it off, and still haven't gotten the code. Maybe they have now though.

It's like vehicle-platforming, which I don't think I'm liking. You start off with a crappy vehicle that's hard to control and turn. I'm kind of disappointed by this demo and tempted to just cancel my order. I could wait for it to get cheaper and all I really want is the N64 port at this time. It's just not quite my cup of tea. The game is really pretty though.

If you call your gamestop/egbames they may give you the code for the N64 port early. You cannot use the code until the release date for nuts and Bolts though.

[quote name='Spybreak8']That's how I feel, if more games came with free XBLA ones I'd be in trouble haha.[/QUOTE]

I remember Nintendo touting that they could pack in codes for retro games with the new Wii games. i.e. Super Mario Bros. code included with Super Mario Galaxy. Of course that idea was swept under the rug when the money truck came rolling in.

I remember them telling us that we could play the XBLA game 2 weeks early, is it out yet? I would assume my codes are in my account on Amazon but I haven't looked yet.

[quote name='Spybreak8']I remember them telling us that we could play the XBLA game 2 weeks early, is it out yet? I would assume my codes are in my account on Amazon but I haven't looked yet.[/QUOTE]

Not out yet. Supposedly with the codes you get to DL the XBLA banjo two weeks before IT comes out (ie, not 2 weeks earlier than nuts and bolts). Also, afaik, the codes have not been sent out yet.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Not out yet. Supposedly with the codes you get to DL the XBLA banjo two weeks before IT comes out (ie, not 2 weeks earlier than nuts and bolts). Also, afaik, the codes have not been sent out yet.[/quote]

ahh ok, thanks for the info.

I'm having a hard time getting into the flow of this it reminds me a little of the mini missions in mario 64 only with vehicles. Only the missions don't seem as good but maybe its just the demo I dunno. The one with the little bird that turns into a ball in the first world is particurally annoying and boring :/.

as a HUGE BK/BT fan i have to say, after about 30 minutes of playing the demo i'm disappointed... i will not cancel my pre-order or anything but the whole vehicle thing is getting annoying and i'm only on the first level... the crappy controlled vehicle u start with makes me want to smash my 360... and it's confusing with the parts and changing them it's such a hassle as opposed to the pick up and play options of BK/BT... hopefully it gets better and i might retry the demo if time permits (i'm going for Seriously in GoW1 and need it before 2 comes out) so maybe i'll get better at it who knows

I broke the demo! :) I also wound up in a nook that displays the logo "Pay n' Play". Kind of in a dreary place, too. A jab at Nintendo?

EDIT: Does anyone know how to change your Showdown Town vehicle in anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I know that. I'm asking how you edit that cart.[/QUOTE]

if you can, it would be in Mumbo's shop in SD town. I haven't tried, but I'm thinking maybe you can't, if all you can use in town is that cart. Maybe they mean that specific version of the cart as well. (IIRC, SD town is supposed to be where more traditional on foot platforming takes place as well, though I may be mistaken. I think most of the collectibles are meant to be procured on foot? Especially if you can't use anything other than the basic cart) I'm sure you can edit that basic design and save it as a dif. vehicle for use in actual levels though.

Well, in screenshots (early ones) you can see a modified cart being driven around Showdown Town by Banjo. That's why I ask.

Also, I got my pre-order card for Banjo-Kazooie today at Gamestop when I went to trade in Crisis Core: FFVII.

Banjo Kazooie arcade codes are given out 5 days AFTER Nuts and bolts comes out, as long as you pre-ordered you get the free code.

[quote name='eminemobied12']as a HUGE BK/BT fan i have to say, after about 30 minutes of playing the demo i'm disappointed... i will not cancel my pre-order or anything but the whole vehicle thing is getting annoying and i'm only on the first level... the crappy controlled vehicle u start with makes me want to smash my 360... and it's confusing with the parts and changing them it's such a hassle as opposed to the pick up and play options of BK/BT... hopefully it gets better and i might retry the demo if time permits (i'm going for Seriously in GoW1 and need it before 2 comes out) so maybe i'll get better at it who knows[/quote]

This is your problem. This game takes a little while to get used to. Give it more time, you'll get very good at building the vehicles and will get used to the controlls as well. I'm loving this game!

[quote name='joe2187']Banjo Kazooie arcade codes are given out 5 days AFTER Nuts and bolts comes out, as long as you pre-ordered you get the free code.[/quote]

I don't know where you pre-ordered from, but they're retarded. If you don't have your code by the time you get your game, they're breaking the contract. I already got my code from Gamestop, and I'm sure others can get theirs.

Mine was the only one on display. This game will tank most likely.

[quote name='KingBroly']I don't know where you pre-ordered from, but they're retarded. If you don't have your code by the time you get your game, they're breaking the contract. I already got my code from Gamestop, and I'm sure others can get theirs.

Mine was the only one on display. This game will tank most likely.[/quote]
Sales wise, or reviews wise?

sales wise definitely. Review wise...maybe not. Reviewers seem to love anything Rare does because of Viva Pinata and because they love Microsoft even more.

I feel that this game will get substandard review scores because a lot of people are wishing it was Banjo Threeie, and not Nuts and Bolts. They will view this lack of Banjo Threeie-ness as a negative and lower Nuts and Bolts' score. Nuts and Bolts, from what I got by playing the demo for a shitload of time, is a well made game. It is only $40, the presentation (minus the text problem) is RIdiculous. My mom, who knows very little about video games and thought that Okami "looked meh I guess" was stunned by how good the graphics and sound was. Moreover, it is funny, and it is big. The vehicle aspect also adds hours of potential replayability, along with the multiplayer. Nuts and Bolts is a new game with Banjo and Kazooie in it, not a new Banjo Kazooie game, and I hope reviewers will be able to understand that and give the game an honest review.
P.S. The 17% of on foot platforming in the demo was fun as fuck.

[quote name='Redrazorback']This is your problem. This game takes a little while to get used to. Give it more time, you'll get very good at building the vehicles and will get used to the controlls as well. I'm loving this game![/quote]

i get that, but again unlike BK/BT the getting used to part will annoy a lot of people... i will definitely spend more time with it but regardless i can't see liking it as much as BK/BT (i hope i'm wrong)

[quote name='eminemobied12']i get that, but again unlike BK/BT the getting used to part will annoy a lot of people... i will definitely spend more time with it but regardless i can't see liking it as much as BK/BT (i hope i'm wrong)[/quote]

You're probably right about people having trouble getting used to it. I just hope people are willing to give this game a chance. I'm afraid people are going to miss out on a great game because they decided they wouldn't like it 6 months ago.

Even if people are iffy, for $40 with Banjo-Kazooie for free, there's not much reason for people to not give the game a try.

[quote name='pop311']exactly, thank you[/quote]

Okay, maybe the rest isn't complete ass, but the majority of the demo was, which left a lot of people unhappy.

The BIG 4 Complaints about this demo:
#1 - The Clanker Mission. Such a bullshit mission if there ever was one. Even with custom-built vehicles, it's a pain in the ass.

#2 - The loose controls. A divet in the road shouldn't cause me to do a 180. Also, the enemy A.I. in the demo race, you get stuck on them, locking your controls, spinning you out quicker. I think this might be fixed later on in the game with better parts, mainly tires (I hope). Otherwise, I'm not going to like it.

#3 - Hard to read/Fast to read font. I mainly see it as a real-estate problem. There's a lot of space on screen/in the text boxes, not a lot of it is used for text.

#4 - The idea that hitting an enemy at any speed can knock off any part on your vehicle, tires and engine included. Nothing's more annoying than trying to complete a challenge on 3 wheels.

[quote name='KingBroly']Okay, maybe the rest isn't complete ass, but the majority of the demo was, which left a lot of people unhappy.

The BIG 4 Complaints about this demo:
#1 - The Clanker Mission. Such a bullshit mission if there ever was one. Even with custom-built vehicles, it's a pain in the ass.

#2 - The loose controls. A divet in the road shouldn't cause me to do a 180. Also, the enemy A.I. in the demo race, you get stuck on them, locking your controls, spinning you out quicker. I think this might be fixed later on in the game with better parts, mainly tires (I hope). Otherwise, I'm not going to like it.

#3 - Hard to read/Fast to read font. I mainly see it as a real-estate problem. There's a lot of space on screen/in the text boxes, not a lot of it is used for text.

#4 - The idea that hitting an enemy at any speed can knock off any part on your vehicle, tires and engine included. Nothing's more annoying than trying to complete a challenge on 3 wheels.[/QUOTE]

I'm truly not posting just for the sake of being obstinate but:

1) I fail to see how the Clanker mission is a pain. I slapped together a vehicle with an egg gun and beat the mission on my first try (although I didn't earn the trophy thomas award). I really don't want this to sound like me bragging, but I really don't see a problem with the mission.

2) The controls definitely take some getting used to, but I had no real problem playing the game after about 5 minutes. New parts (like tires) will hopefully fix any control issues that people may have.

3) I personally had no issue with the size of the text or its scrolling speed. I have heard a lot of complaints about these issues. I have only played the game on an hdtv, so perhaps the text is hard to read on standard definition tv's (Dead Rising syndrome)?

4) Plenty of games feature vehicular damage, and you may be right about the parts falling off too easily. However, can't you just reattach them by holding the right bumper or something?

Again, you have some points, but I truly don't think that these issues are as severe as they're talked up to be. Hopefully issues such as those related to text are fixed by a patch. Overall, I hope that people give this game the fair chance that it deserves. Rare decided to go in a completely different direction with this game and I hope that people can approach it with an open mind. Redrazorback hit the nail on the head when he said that there are people out there that decided that they wouldn't like the game 6 months ago.

My only real complaint is the shit tires. In just about every trailer there are much better parts available. The overall vehicle and vehicle building mechanics are sound. My boats and planes work fine.

I am having a lot of fun with this demo.
Have any of yous who have been playing this used the wrench thing to fly yet. Its pretty cool. I felt like a genius when i figured it out.

Holy tiny text, Batman! 36" SDTV and I'm straining my eyes trying to read everything. I didn't even know what to do because the text was so small. As a result, I don't know if I'm going to like or not since I couldn't play it...

bread's done
Back