Batman Arkham Asylum - Gen. Discussion & Info

Loved every bit of the demo. The look and feel of this game is spot on..more on the lines of the animated series than the dark and gritty world of Nolan's Batman...which works perfectly for a video game. I just hope there's more to the combat than what's shown. Hitting X to take down every bad guy may get repetitive very quickly. Hopefully the boss fights will live to their hype..

BTW, who's the villain just at the end of the demo?

[quote name='destinywaste']
BTW, who's the villain just at the end of the demo?[/QUOTE]
I think it's Killer Croc but I'm not 100% sure.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I think it's Killer Croc but I'm not 100% sure.[/QUOTE]
Nah, it's not Killer Croc. There is a character trophy of Croc in the main menu and it matches nothing with the character at the end.

[quote name='destinywaste']BTW, who's the villain just at the end of the demo?[/QUOTE]

Generic big Joker goon. You can see two of them standing together in some of the trailers.

Killer Croc is in the trailer after the demo so yeah that is not him as the first boss. Hell I'm wondering if that might just be a mid level boss. Anyway I like how the went with the characters when it comes to their looks. They look to me darker and fit the batman world a little bit more. Almost like they went for a Tim Burton and Nolan look and mixed them together.

Played the demo for it last night and it blew me away. I love this game and I'm looking forward to getting it on launch day!

I already have the LE paid off at Amazon from all the kick-ass trade-in deals that get posted on this fine site. I can't wait since the demo was pretty good. I wonder how long it takes for an average to complete it, hopefully at least 10 hours.

Don't think I've ever played any demo more than once before this came along. Hope this means the game has good replay value, or maybe it's just me who can't wait to be immersed into the Batman universe.

Being a huge batman fan... loved TAS...... i was on the fence on this game.. wanting to buy it.. but worried how it would turn out. The demo has made this a day one buy for me.

[quote name='LeRoy']I wonder how long it takes for an average to complete it, hopefully at least 10 hours.[/QUOTE]
I get the feeling that the length will be vary wildly by skill and how fast you adapt to the game. Also how you approach each level. I know it will take me longer than most since im not huge on stealth games and i expect to die constantly, but that doesnt mean i wont love it.

Why not? For $43 from Amazon, I can get it day one, enjoy myself and still sell it so I won't lose any money.

It seems like there's an awful lot of characters because Batman's notebook has a lot of empty spaces.

in another review it says its about 12-14 hours long for the basic single player go through at a decent pace. Very temping very tempting.

OMG!!!!

Since when is Bat-Girl Barbara Gordon paralyzed and in a wheelchair????

and now calls herself Oracle and talks to Batman like Cortana does to MC?

She better have some kind of tech-bionic cyborg implant suit to her spine so she can be like sexy cyborg Bat-Girl because seeing her in a wheel chair killed the whole game experience for me. I expected her to do some sort of cameo and help out Batman.

from this http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/img/b/Batgirl.jpg

to this

http://www.geocities.com/batgirls_gotham/oracle4.jpg

all I want to play now is MK vs DC for some Batman vs Joker fighting action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7K1Drs4H_s&feature=related

[quote name='master ninja']omg!!!!

Since when is bat-girl barbara gordon paralyzed and in a wheelchair????[/quote]

[quote name='Frogurt.man']Thanks for the scan. It's a short read so I'm going to take the score with a grain of salt. If it truly is on the level of a Bioshock like the reviewer claims they would have devoted 3-4 pages for a proper review.

Is the game on the cover?[/QUOTE]

No its The Beatles. But its feature along the top in big text.

[quote name='Master Ninja']OMG!!!!

[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gordon

Following the editorial retirement of the character's Batgirl persona in 1988, Alan Moore's graphic novel Batman: The Killing Joke depicts the Joker shooting Gordon through the spinal cord in her civilian identity and leaving her a paraplegic. Although Gordon would no longer resume her role as Batgirl in subsequent stories, editor Kim Yale and writer John Ostrander soon established the character as an information broker code-named Oracle, providing intelligence and computer hacking services to assist other superheroes. The character first appeared as Oracle in Suicide Squad #23 (1989).

[quote name='Master Ninja']Forget all that junk, Put here in a improved version of Batman 2000's high Tech suit, and get her out there crime fighting.[/QUOTE]
No.

We already got a Batwoman and a Batgirl in the comics (not even counting the new one about to debut). I Think we're good on Bat females.

Just tried the demo today. The game is fun. Taking people out in stealth is pretty awesome, especially at the big room at the end of the demo.

I want to get the game on 1st day release, but there seems to be a lot of stuff coming out in that two-week span. I can always hope for a used coupon from GS...

Like every one else, i just played the demo and absolutely adore this game! haha and for $30 from TRU (60 with $30 gift card for tru members on tues. 10am-2pm) i will easily be getting this. One question though- it might have been discussued but im not goin through 9 pages.-

PS3? Or 360?

I heard ps3 has some exclusive joker thing where you can play as him? is that real? also read that 360 will have some extra levels or something? Have any of you heard anything on any exclusive content for each system?

[quote name='Noogums']PS3? Or 360?

I heard ps3 has some exclusive joker thing where you can play as him? is that real? also read that 360 will have some extra levels or something? Have any of you heard anything on any exclusive content for each system?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about the extra levels for the 360 part, but the Joker is exclusive to the PS3 as of launch, yes.

Joystiq review is up:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/21/review-batman-arkham-asylum/

[quote name='Noogums']I heard ps3 has some exclusive joker thing where you can play as him? is that real? also read that 360 will have some extra levels or something? Have any of you heard anything on any exclusive content for each system?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version allows you to play as the Joker on challenge maps. Pre-ordering from GS gives you the Scarecrow challenge map, which is available for both the 360 and PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the new Game Informer in the mail. They gave it a 9.5 and said it is "this year's Bioshock" as far as innovation goes.

I didn't really know anything about this game until today, but the reviews are making it sound amazing! Decided to go ahead and preorder since I could get it from Amazon for less than $43.

We got it in at work today and the CE is huge. I mean huge. If I had to compare it to anything, I would compare it to the GTA4 LE, but it's even a little longer than that.

[quote name='Scorch']We got it in at work today and the CE is huge. I mean huge. If I had to compare it to anything, I would compare it to the GTA4 LE, but it's even a little longer than that.[/QUOTE]

Hope you got yourself a copy because the CE is awesome! And lets just say these CEs won't end up like the Halo CE. ;)

That skeleton fighting add on thing is looking pretty fun to me. Since I've saw it on the commercial. I think I may end up buying this game at one point.

[quote name='daphatty']Hope you got yourself a copy because the CE is awesome! And lets just say these CEs won't end up like the Halo CE. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nah. I'm not even buying a copy of the game. I'm just going to rent it.

1up gave this game an A. Spider-Man and Batman are my two favorite superheroes and I'm glad that both of them finally got really great games. Even if Batman has to look pro wrestler in his.

Dude i KNEW the batarangs were gonna be plastic in the CE. I bought a full life size metal one for $15 around the holidays last year. 10 times better. lol.

[quote name='moonknight25']This is going to be a contender for GOTY no doubt![/QUOTE]

I think I might be with you on that one. Still, even without Batman this is going to be a pretty solid year for gaming.

I played the demo and was pretty impressed, before the game wasn't even on my radar then it was. Still not sure if I would get it but watching that gametrailers review has almost pushed me. Might pick this up now next week.

[quote name='Master Ninja']OMG!!!!

She better have some kind of tech-bionic cyborg implant suit to her spine so she can be like sexy cyborg Bat-Girl because seeing her in a wheel chair killed the whole game experience for me. I expected her to do some sort of cameo and help out Batman.

from this http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/img/b/Batgirl.jpg

to this

http://www.geocities.com/batgirls_gotham/oracle4.jpg

[/QUOTE]

FYI that batgirl pic is the Cassandra Cain version of Batgirl. Barbara Gordon had a more "classic" costume:

Batgirlbykevinnowlan.jpg

[quote name='nnthomas']I'm reading about a $30 Gift Card at TRU for this game... can anyone shed some light?[/QUOTE]

Yea its a great deal. If you buy this game at TRU on Tuesday at 10am-2pm and show them your rewards card you'll get a $30 gift card. if your not a TRU rewards member, you get $20 gift card. Or you can sign up here and print out a temporary one until they send you your official one. It's completely free.

You'll still get the $30 gift card if you show them your temporary card.

This is what i'll be doing.

man my birthday was a couple days ago and my mom is stopping by today to buy me dinner and she says she want to get me a gift....I am thinking Arkham Asylum CE is looking pretty sweet. Although, it makes me feel like I just turned 12 and not 25.

bread's done
Back