Batman: The Dark Knight - Movie Thread - $158.3 Million First Weekend

There are a lot of scenes from the trailers/tv spots where he looks like he is contemplating if being batman is the right thing to do for the city or just give it all up.

I do have the feeling that he does take a "Break" from being Batman for a bit...maybe after the capture of the Joker.

BTW..anyone buying the toys? They don't seem worth getting this time around.

Also the moive tie in book DOESN'T come out til around the same day the movie comes out (according to bn.com/amazon.com) grrr...

[quote name='JolietJake']That seems to be a recurring theme in super hero movies lately, taking a break and contemplating giving it up.[/quote]

It's comic books in general. The life of a super hero isn't easy despite having all the powers. (See Spiderman 2)

[quote name='JolietJake']Yeah, but they used to keep that stuff to the comics, not the movies.[/quote]

hmm..

Isn't there a site somewhere where each scene of every trailer/spot is analyzed for clues to the overall plot? They do it with every other big movie sometimes.

[quote name='ITDEFX']In case you guys didn't hear... Tickets for the midnight/7pm/8pm showings are on sale now.[/quote]

Cool, just need to wait for WB store to ship my Batman Begins LE Giftset to use my $7.50 towards the purchase of it :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Cool, just need to wait for WB store to ship my Batman Begins LE Giftset to use my $7.50 towards the purchase of it :D[/quote]

Depending on your local theaters, they might not let you use these passes. My local theater started cracking down on it recently. I don't know why :(

Rachel Dawes should die. She's a non-canon character and is expendable for plot. I expect Two-Face to kill her. Perhaps Joker kills her, leaving Bats to struggle over vengeance or justice? We will see. :D

[quote name='chasemurata']Rachel Dawes should die. She's a non-canon character and is expendable for plot. I expect Two-Face to kill her. Perhaps Joker kills her, leaving Bats to struggle over vengeance or justice? We will see. :D[/quote]

#147 #-o

Except I don't think Two face will kill her.

[quote name='Theduck']Batman will slip on a banana, which will cause him to struggle over vengeance or justice.[/quote]

Hahaha... true, true.

I wonder if in the beginning of the movie Batman will capture and bring in Scarecrow... he might be in it since the figure seems to be popping up in stores but in a very small role.

[quote name='ITDEFX']In case you guys didn't hear... Tickets for the midnight/7pm/8pm showings are on sale now.[/QUOTE]

They've been on sale at my theater since before Iron Man came out.

[quote name='chasemurata']Rachel Dawes should die. She's a non-canon character and is expendable for plot. I expect Two-Face to kill her. Perhaps Joker kills her, leaving Bats to struggle over vengeance or justice? We will see. :D[/QUOTE]

Iirc, the Rolling Stone article seems to hint that
Joker kills Dawes and then creates Two-Face in the same scene
. Though it was only hinted at.

[quote name='Theduck']Batman will slip on a banana, which will cause him to struggle over vengeance or justice.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

Iirc, the Rolling Stone article seems to hint that
Joker kills Dawes and then creates Two-Face in the same scene
. Though it was only hinted at.

[/quote]

I don't think so.
In one of the trailer scenes I noticed tonight during the FX showing of BB, I noticed Dent in a limo cocking a gun... he *might* be on route to kill the Joker in cold blood (after the death of Dawes) but the plan back fires and Joker burns Harvey.

I just watched Begins for the millionth time on FX. It got me all excited for Dark Knight. This is one of my most anticipated movies ever. I've already taken the day off from work; I've already called a whole bunch of people to come along, (if my brother's friends end up coming, it's going to be a party of 15+ people), and I've already made the plans to be there about two hours early so I can get the seat in the dead-center of the theater. (Seriously).

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I just watched Begins for the millionth time on FX. It got me all excited for Dark Knight. This is one of my most anticipated movies ever. I've already taken the day off from work; I've already called a whole bunch of people to come along, (if my brother's friends end up coming, it's going to be a party of 15+ people), and I've already made the plans to be there about two hours early so I can get the seat in the dead-center of the theater. (Seriously).[/quote]

It's gonna be a crowded theater indeed.

Wonder if it will blow Iron Man out of the sky in terms of opening weekend?

[quote name='ITDEFX']It's gonna be a crowded theater indeed.

Wonder if it will blow Iron Man out of the sky in terms of opening weekend?[/quote]

Eh, I don't know about that. I think Iron Man had more "kiddie appeal", which lead to thousands of little kids dragging their uninterested parents to the movie theater.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Eh, I don't know about that. I think Iron Man had more "kiddie appeal", which lead to thousands of little kids dragging their uninterested parents to the movie theater.[/quote]

Kiddie appeal?
:whistle2:s

I do have a strong feeling that it is going to be a lot of money opening weekend and I think more HL Fans than batman fans will be attending this movie because of his unexpected death and his last major movie role. I say it's going to make 60-70% of it's production cost back in the first weekend. WB is in for a huge surprise.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't think so.
In one of the trailer scenes I noticed tonight during the FX showing of BB, I noticed Dent in a limo cocking a gun... he *might* be on route to kill the Joker in cold blood (after the death of Dawes) but the plan back fires and Joker burns Harvey.
.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Again it's just speculation.

Can't freaking wait.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't think so.
.[/quote]

Take a closer look.
Dent's face is already burned in that scene. Here's a HD link to the picture: http://host.trivialbeing.org/galler...harvey-dent-in-car-snapshot20080504112013.jpg

And on the topic of Scarecrow...
Yeah, he's in the second scene after the Joker bank heist. So, like first 5-10 minutes. If you remember the scene in the trailers when the Tumbler goes crashing through a parking garage wall, and two thugs run away like pansies, that's the Scarecrow scene.

Oh, and I've bought my IMAX tickets for the midnight showing. :D

There's a very favorable review on Yahoo right now.

The buzz over Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker in "The Dark Knight" for the last several months was justified. With his final full film role, Ledger delivers what may be remembered as the finest performance of his career.

A press screening of the "Batman Begins" sequel Thursday night had the audience cackling along with Ledger's Joker, a depraved creature utterly without conscience whom the late actor played with gleeful anarchy.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080627/121457364000.html

Sounds awesome.

[quote name='Bavgate']Take a closer look.
Dent's face is already burned in that scene. Here's a HD link to the picture: http://host.trivialbeing.org/galler...harvey-dent-in-car-snapshot20080504112013.jpg

And on the topic of Scarecrow...
Yeah, he's in the second scene after the Joker bank heist. So, like first 5-10 minutes. If you remember the scene in the trailers when the Tumbler goes crashing through a parking garage wall, and two thugs run away like pansies, that's the Scarecrow scene.

Oh, and I've bought my IMAX tickets for the midnight showing. :D[/quote]

WHOA! :hot:

Good to know they tied the
scarecrow loose end in the beginning

[quote name='Bavgate']And on the topic of Scarecrow...
[/quote]

Isn't the Gotham Knight anime supposed to focus on tying up some loose ends between Begins & DK? That's why I thought that Scarecrow would be the villain in that.

BTW, Bale doesn't do the voice in Gotham Knight, Kevin Conroy(Batman:tas & Justice League) will be doing the voice. Which is nice, since I like him doing Batman's voice especially after them replacing him entirely in Justice League: New Frontier.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Isn't the Gotham Knight anime supposed to focus on tying up some loose ends between Begins & DK? That's why I thought that Scarecrow would be the villain in that. [/quote]

It will probably be like the Animatrix: Final Flight of the Osiris where events of that short lead into/tie into the sequel.

Yea I am glad to see Conroy back as the voice of batman, but I think it will be a little different than what we are use to.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Isn't the Gotham Knight anime supposed to focus on tying up some loose ends between Begins & DK? That's why I thought that Scarecrow would be the villain in that. [/quote]

I'm not sure. I haven't been following the GK news as much as I should, since I'm a little apprehensive about it.

But, for sure,
Scarecrow
is in the movie.
Check out this HD-still from trailer 3. http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/tdkscarecrow.jpg Recognize someone in the van? ;)

[quote name='Bavgate']I'm not sure. I haven't been following the GK news as much as I should, since I'm a little apprehensive about it.

But, for sure,
Scarecrow
is in the movie.
Check out this HD-still from trailer 3. http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/tdkscarecrow.jpg Recognize someone in the van? ;)
[/quote]

See this is why I need to upgrade my comp because I can't watch HD (720p or better) on my computer anymore.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Depending on your local theaters, they might not let you use these passes. My local theater started cracking down on it recently. I don't know why :([/quote]

They should let you use these no problem, they're the same as cash.

New trailer from Domino's (Yeah, the pizza company) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=7mjryo-mCyM

By the way, watched, "Batman: Gotham Knight" (it leaked onto the webs), and it was pretty good. The Deadshot episode was my favorite one. Hopefully everyone already knew that Deadshot was in there. :whistle2:#

Also, the TDK prologue was leaked in a much better quality then back in December. Blockbuster Videos are selling the Batman Begins Bluray gift set early, so a bunch of people snagged it and recorded the prologue. The sound quality sucks, but the video quality is pretty good. In case anyone doesn't know, the prologue is just the first six minutes of TDK.

Prologue link
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=37266716 (Copy and paste that link and get rid of that space between the "37266" and "716". Not sure why the space pops up.)

That Domino's trailer is because of the contest they will be running:
xboxConsolesdominosXboxDarkKnight.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/promotions/2008/dominosdarkknight/default.htm

I don't know if it's been posted already, but IGN gave it a 5/5 and had nothing but great things to say about it.

A screenwriting professor of mine once said that what happens in a story must be surprising but expected, and Nolan's approach to The Dark Knight epitomizes this maxim. He gives you exactly what you want, but does it so well that it manages to completely catch you off guard when it happens. But there really is no better way to describe The Dark Knight than to call it a great work of art because it transcends both the boundaries of comic book moviemaking and even the parameters of good filmmaking. What Nolan and Co. have created doesn't just function as a thrill ride or even a terrific movie, but rather as a substantive and philosophical examination of why we need heroes, and then when we need them, what they mean.
This is going to be one of the greatest movie theater experiences of my life :shock:

That 360 is ugly as fucking shit. Its so plain. All black (which the elite is anyway) with just a small dark knight logo on one side and whatever that is on the other.

You can buy 8 dollar skins better than that. But I wouldnt mind a new 360 though.

[quote name='Soodmeg']That 360 is ugly as fucking shit. Its so plain. All black (which the elite is anyway) with just a small dark knight logo on one side and whatever that is on the other.

You can buy 8 dollar skins better than that. But I wouldnt mind a new 360 though.[/quote]

If people bought the Halo 3 edition and the GTA edition, they will want this one as well.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']I don't know if it's been posted already, but IGN gave it a 5/5 and had nothing but great things to say about it.

This is going to be one of the greatest movie theater experiences of my life :shock:[/quote]

Just :pray:that your crowd is well mannered and respectable unlike the Marvel comic dorks who can't keep their trap shut during a marvel movie.

Gotham Knight was pretty good, basically like the animatrix with batman characters. Anyone who has watched the old Batman: TAS will find the first story in Gotham Knight familiar. I didn't like some of the animation styles, especially the one where you can see Batman's eyes, i prefer the whited out look.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just :pray:that your crowd is well mannered and respectable unlike the Marvel comic dorks who can't keep their trap shut during a marvel movie.[/QUOTE]
213! 213!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrZgLEzZBc8[/media]

[quote name='ITDEFX']If people bought the Halo 3 edition and the GTA edition, they will want this one as well.[/quote]

Agreed.

In fact...almost all of the official niche xbox look really crappy.

bread's done
Back