Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC Discussion

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to play nanny but I'm gonna report you guys if you keep this shit up, I like this thread but it's starting to go WAY off topic.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='SEH']Oh my God, shut the fuck up already and stop arguing like girls.[/QUOTE]
NO U!

But seriously, we're just putting on a show and fucking off. Be honest, you guys laughed. ;)

[quote name='sendme']How are the servers on this game? Are they didicated or are they P2P like they did with MW2?[/QUOTE]
WTF is a didicated? Sounds like a rapper.

Lol, yes it will have dedicated servers at launch. BTW, it's not P2P; it's a hosted client/server setup. P2P is something entirely different.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to play nanny but I'm gonna report you guys if you keep this shit up, I like this thread but it's starting to go WAY off topic.[/QUOTE]

Narc alert :shame: Snitches get stitches! :twoguns:

Anyway, I won. Bitch got put in her place, so it's over. \\:D/ Back to fragging.

I'm currently playing through the single player and am having a blast. I cant wait for Tuesday though to be able to play multiplayer. Some of these maps are going to be insane.

I will also say that the game seems better optimized. I could run the game with settings on high in the beta, but AA and AF had to be set to 1x. I can now turn them to 4x and 8x respectively and it plays great. They also appear to have turned down the insane amount of bloom seen in the beta.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Dropped my :360: order-- now, should I go retail or Steam?[/QUOTE]

I wish it were confirmed already whether retail could be activated on Steam...

[quote name='humidore']I wish it were confirmed already whether retail could be activated on Steam...[/QUOTE]

Retail codes wont work on Steam. BFBC2 is not a Steamworks title.

This is going to be a day one purchase (PC) for me now, after reading all the good stuff about this and watching some videos. Shame I missed out on the beta, but I had no idea this game was looking this good since BF:BC1 was a turd.

Cool, was hoping to hear about a 4pack before it came out. I can wait a few weeks since I have such a huge backlog I am working on.

I saw D2D is now allowing their users to pre-load. Any idea if we'll be able to pre-load on Steam sometime tonight or tomorrow?

[quote name='SEH']I saw D2D is now allowing their users to pre-load. Any idea if we'll be able to pre-load on Steam sometime tonight or tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

It is up to EA, so who knows.
Thankfully the game is rather small, I remember reading it is in the 5 gig range

[quote name='KaOTiK']It is up to EA, so who knows.
Thankfully the game is rather small, I remember reading it is in the 5 gig range[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's about 5.4GB's. I really hope we can pre-load though. It's much easier than everyone trying to grab it when it launches and download speeds going to shit because the Steam servers are being slammed.

EDIT:

Just checked out the Steam store...looks like those of us who pre-ordered on Steam are going to have to wait pretty late for the game to even unlock on Tuesday.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901297/

Looks like Tuesday at around 6PM EST the game will unlock. That's pretty fucking lame. Had I known it'd unlock almost a day later, I would've pre-ordered from somewhere else.

[quote name='SEH']Yeah, it's about 5.4GB's. I really hope we can pre-load though. It's much easier than everyone trying to grab it when it launches and download speeds going to shit because the Steam servers are being slammed.

EDIT:

Just checked out the Steam store...looks like those of us who pre-ordered on Steam are going to have to wait pretty late for the game to even unlock on Tuesday.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901297/

Looks like Tuesday at around 6PM EST the game will unlock. That's pretty fucking lame. Had I known it'd unlock almost a day later, I would've pre-ordered from somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

That counter usually isn't very accurate outside of the day the game comes out. I've had a lot of games that if you went to the unlock timer wouldn't unlock to later in the day but usually around 1pm EST the game would unlock (usually when Valve is starting their work which is around 10 PST for them).

I could be wrong, but I'd bet it will unlock earlier then 6pm EST, probably middle of the day.

Hmm

Now I can't decide whether to get it from Amazon with release date delivery = $55.93

or

Gamestop = $54.04 (with sales tax)

I know the CAG way is with Gamestop, but I would prefer not giving a market share leader money.

Of course I could just get it from Fry's, but it's 4 miles away..... Gamestop is 0.9 miles

Decisions decisions....

[quote name='freddy_']or you can buy it digitally for 49.99 and save $5 ;)[/QUOTE]

I know, but I like how you can authenticate offline with the DVD.

And if I decide to authenticate online I have 10 authorizations that are revoked automatically whenever I uninstall, unlike the Steam copy where you need to use EA's deauth tool. The steam version only has 5 simultaneous activations versus the disc's 10. But then you can still authenticate offline so your total will be 11. Not that I have that many computers, it's just that I feel better having more

Source

Hehe alright, can't say it matters that much to me 5 or 1+10.

Don't know the CAG issue with gamestop but I want the game on day 1. If you dont want it digitally and have to get the disc i would go for the alternative that would let me play day 1.

Looks like the Steam store updated. It says, as of right now, unlock in 20 hours, which probably means 19 since it's just about 5:00. So it appears tomorrow at 12PM Central. I'm so giddy.

Dammit, I need a PC demo, so I can better evaluate my purchase. I am not sure which platform I want to buy this game for.

[quote name='Razzuel']Dammit, I need a PC demo, so I can better evaluate my purchase. I am not sure which platform I want to buy this game for.[/QUOTE]

It's an FPS, is there any reason to consider anything else then a PC to play it? Unless your PC just can't run it well enough buying it on a console is a waste, you pay more, the online community will not live nearly as long as the PC community, dedicated servers, mods, not to mention control scheme for an FPS.

[quote name='KaOTiK']It's an FPS, is there any reason to consider anything else then a PC to play it? Unless your PC just can't run it well enough buying it on a console is a waste, you pay more, the online community will not live nearly as long as the PC community, dedicated servers, mods, not to mention control scheme for an FPS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, but none of my friends play PC games, so I was maybe thinking of the 360 version, however, I played the PS3 beta, and I very much enjoyed playing the game on PS3, so that's a viable option as well.

So I just beat the singleplayer (My game isn't coming in the mail for like a week, don't judge me!) and I loved it. While the game is definitely more linear than the first one it never feels like it restrains you. There are a lot of sections where instead of storming in, you had the option to blow out the side of a building and flank the enemy and it always felt so rewarding. The scenes are pretty amazing when you crank up the graphics (I had them all on high with 2xAA on my 4870) and the whole feel of the game is very large. They definitely nailed it in my opinion, it wasn't too long or too short, not too hard or too easy (on medium)

[quote name='Razzuel']Yeah, I know, but none of my friends play PC games, so I was maybe thinking of the 360 version, however, I played the PS3 beta, and I very much enjoyed playing the game on PS3, so that's a viable option as well.[/QUOTE]
Time to get new friends IMO!

[quote name='Guerrilla']I went with Steam after someone pointed out that EA store only gives the download license for a year.[/QUOTE]

Say what?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Say what?[/QUOTE]

Back a few months or ~a year ago, the EA digital download store only allowed you to download your title for up to a 6 months ~ year unless you pay for an extended download service, up to 5 years. So after that time's up, you'd have to rebuy your game if you wanted to redownload it.

Nowadays, there's no mention of the extended download service. The availability of your download is now just a year (supposedly). A CAG said he bought something from the EA store more than a year ago, without the extended service, and is still able to download the same title. Like all things EA, who knows?

[quote name='Chuplayer']Say what?[/QUOTE]

I think EA Download manager only allows redownloads for a year. I dunno though I figure you can just back them up I dunno.

Connection issues like a motherfucker in this game. It keeps telling me that my connection has been lost.

Ugh.

[quote name='SEH']Connection issues like a motherfucker in this game. It keeps telling me that my connection has been lost.

Ugh.[/QUOTE]

ok, so there are issues with this. phew I was playing earlier in the day and when I lost my connection I thought something went wrong on my end.

Did anyone lose all their weapon unlocks from Gamestop and limited edition card?

For the people who have connection issues, did you guys forward ports in your router?
TCP ports: 80, 4711, 29900, 29901, 29920, 28910
UDP ports: 1500 - 4999, 16567, 27900, 29900, 29910, 27901, 55123, 55124, 55215

[quote name='Starbuccaneers']Did anyone lose all their weapon unlocks from Gamestop and limited edition card?

For the people who have connection issues, did you guys forward ports in your router?
UDP ports: 1500 - 4999, 16567, 27900, 29900, 29910, 27901, 55123, 55124, 55215[/QUOTE]

Its not a connection issue on the users end, its EA's stat servers being overloaded. They are down a lot or go down mid-game, causing you to get booted.

[quote name='Starbuccaneers']Did anyone lose all their weapon unlocks from Gamestop and limited edition card?

UDP ports: 1500 - 4999, 16567, 27900, 29900, 29910, 27901, 55123, 55124, 55215[/QUOTE]

I believe I got my limited edition promo code that was provided to me when I bought it from steam successfully entered, since I had the tracer gun along with the bonus armor and turret available when I first started playing. However, I think my AKS-74U promo redemption code has been borked. I redeemed it, it said that it was successfully entered; however, when I try looking it up under my weapons and gadget section, it's not shown anywhere on there. Trying to input the code again says it's been redeemed already.

Did something happen or is it "hidden" or something?

[quote name='Owen']The Gamestop AKS-74U gun is the last one in the Engineer class. I think it just unlocks it early and does not actually give you a new gun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot, Owen! I was kinda worried that my code got borked since I redeemed as soon as my installation process on Steam completed, and there were problems connecting properly to the game.

I forgot that the game had a silencer on it, so of course it would be part of the engineer class. I kept looking for it in the assaulter section. Silly me.

Just curious, and apologies if it's been mentioned before, but are there any plans for setting up CAG night for the PC version of BC2?

Man I want this game so bad. It's just too bad that I'm completely broke and have no extra cash to spend on video games right now. Thankfully I got Mass Effect 2 for my birthday to keep me busy for a while.

How to spot an amazing game: after installation you look up and it's 1am.

I can't remember the last time I lost all track of time playing a game and despite a few hiccups when everyone started getting on at prime time, the game is absolutely awesome. I dare say it's better than BF2 and feels incredibly balanced. Zero glitches so far after playing seven hours straight (except for having to relog if your stats get reset to rank one) and everything feels very polished. I can't recommend this game enough if you've ever been a fan of BF. Make no mistake, this IS Battlefield 3 and it's not a shitty console port.

BTW, my boy has been getting booted from the game every time he gets on the Steam version. Anyone found a way to fix this?

Looks like Nvidia released its newest drivers, version number 196.75. It looks like there are among other fixes, some SLI related things in regards to Bad Company 2, so if you're having any video issues, try this to see if solves anything.

@Jodou: My game has exited to the desktop a couple of times for me, (not crashing technically, it just closes and goes to the desktop without any error message), is that what your friend is having?

[quote name='Psamtik']@Jodou: My game has exited to the desktop a couple of times for me, (not crashing technically, it just closes and goes to the desktop without any error message), is that what your friend is having?[/QUOTE]
Nope, he was just getting booted after logging in. We all told him it was Punkbuster last night, but didn't hear back. Turns out it was PB afterall. . .

What a noob.

[quote name='Jodou']Nope, he was just getting booted after logging in. We all told him it was Punkbuster last night, but didn't hear back. Turns out it was PB afterall. . .

What a noob.[/QUOTE]

Did you just call your kid a noob :)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Did you just call your kid a noob :)[/QUOTE]

He's talking about his imaginary friends.

This game's got some issues to work out. Constant disconnections, terrible servers so far, incredibly boring single player campaign. Should've kept the beta open, it was a better product than what they put out so far. Really one of the positives about the game's release is all the fanboys going nuts over how BC2's metacritic review isn't as high as MW2 (Except for the PC version, but who cares about the PC nowadays). Those are good times.

Gonna wait for BF3, can't get any worse than this.

Just got my game in the mail, a little sad it wasn't a fat case but then again there wouldn't be much included to fill it (Har har) At least the LE case looks nice.

Experienced NO problems after running the patch, loving the game so far. Engineer is my favorite class most definitely.

[quote name='kilm']He's talking about his imaginary friends.

This game's got some issues to work out. Constant disconnections, terrible servers so far, incredibly boring single player campaign. Should've kept the beta open, it was a better product than what they put out so far. Really one of the positives about the game's release is all the fanboys going nuts over how BC2's metacritic review isn't as high as MW2 (Except for the PC version, but who cares about the PC nowadays). Those are good times.

Gonna wait for BF3, can't get any worse than this.[/QUOTE]

The system is getting hammered so theres no surprise there. Plus at least you know the support will be there as well. Every BF game has been patched to hell and back to fix issues and add tons of new content, wish i could say the same about IW games. :roll:

So tired of dev's just doing the "we'll release a game buggy as hell just to get it out, then patch it later" bullshit.

bread's done
Back