Bayonetta on Best Buy Shelves YMMV

Jobberwock

CAGiversary!
Just got back from the Best Buy in Aurora/Naperville, IL and they already have Bayonetta out on the shelf for both 360 and PS3. On the BB site, it still lists it as a preorder, as does gamestop and amazon etc, so I guess this can be exciting for anyone psyched to get this game.

It was most likely an inventory/shelving error where they weren't supposed to put it out until next week, but it worked out for me. Anyway, hope this helps some of you other CAGs. ENJOY!

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Anybody who has played it, is it better than Devil May Cry? If so I would definitely get this game. I love DMC but was a bit disappointed in DMC 4.[/QUOTE]

Download the demo and see for yourself.

[quote name='oasisboy']Download the demo and see for yourself.[/QUOTE]

the demo doesn't begin to show off this game. it gives you a couple easy fights from the first chapter and none of the customization/weapons.

[quote name='Survivalism']

That said, can't these places get in a lot of trouble for breaking the street date?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they get fines by manufacturers. How much? It all depends.

[quote name='mrniceguy8']Best Buy in Brooklyn, New York didn't have it, but luckily a Mom and Pop store nearby were selling it. I'm loving it so far.[/QUOTE]

which mom and pop store had it?

Damnit, when the PS3 and 360 version have a 1 point review difference that MATTERS. I don't care if you give reviews any weight but its the difference between calling a game good and amazing.

I may have just traveled an eight hour round trip to get this game in Manhattan.

In my defense, there are worse ways to spend a weekend.

Seriously if you have both PS3 and Xbox, get the 360 version and avoid PS3 version at all costs.
I got the Japanese PS3 version when it came out and I haven't touched it after playing for 3 days.
Framerate issue aside, loading is atrocious. There is 10 second loading everytime you pick up an item. Another 20 second loading just to pause during cutscene to skip the cutscene. 80 seconds loading after dying and getting witch hunt is over animation to restarting from the checkpoint.

I went to Walmart last week and found 360 version only to get denied at cash register. The fact that I"m willing to drive at extra miles to get 360 version while i have PS3 version on hand pretty much shows how bad the PS3 version is.
AVOID AVOID

[quote name='testaroo']Seriously if you have both PS3 and Xbox, get the 360 version and avoid PS3 version at all costs.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree...no issues with the PS3 version...besides my XBOX has RROD anyways.

[quote name='testaroo']Seriously if you have both PS3 and Xbox, get the 360 version and avoid PS3 version at all costs.
I got the Japanese PS3 version when it came out and I haven't touched it after playing for 3 days.
Framerate issue aside, loading is atrocious. There is 10 second loading everytime you pick up an item. Another 20 second loading just to pause during cutscene to skip the cutscene. 80 seconds loading after dying and getting witch hunt is over animation to restarting from the checkpoint.

I went to Walmart last week and found 360 version only to get denied at cash register. The fact that I"m willing to drive at extra miles to get 360 version while i have PS3 version on hand pretty much shows how bad the PS3 version is.
AVOID AVOID[/QUOTE]

This is exaggerating the loading issues on the PS3 (at least it didn't feel nearly as long to me), but yes, the loading can get kinda grating. (I imported the PS3 version and beat it 3 times).

[quote name='Muthafodder']I'd have to disagree...no issues with the PS3 version...besides my XBOX has RROD anyways.[/QUOTE]

Your opinion that you may not take issue with the differences, but the fact is the ps3 version has lots of little problems all over the place that could potentially annoy or turn off some people to the game. It's undeniable the framerate is worse, it tears way more often, there is loading for literally anything you do and even with the above problems the visuals have been scaled down in some instances.

[quote name='CaoPi']I can see this game dropping to $29.99 or less within a few months happens often to Sega games[/QUOTE]

but this is the first time people have been morally obligated to buy a Sega game since...wait, when were they relevant?

I saw copies at sears when I was pricing/buying a hdtv for my living room last thursday. They had it in plain view on a table with nobody around, and no security cameras. This was at the century III mall sears in pittsburgh pa.

[quote name='Ray5555']I saw copies at sears when I was pricing/buying a hdtv for my living room last thursday. They had it in plain view on a table with nobody around, and no security cameras. This was at the century III mall sears in pittsburgh pa.[/QUOTE]

So what your are trying to say is that you stole a copy or just the disc? :lol:

[quote name='Ray5555']I saw copies at sears when I was pricing/buying a hdtv for my living room last thursday. They had it in plain view on a table with nobody around, and no security cameras. This was at the century III mall sears in pittsburgh pa.[/QUOTE]

Century III Mall. So many good memories of hanging out there in college. I might head down to BB and see if there are any on the shelves. I have 25 in RZ and I 've heard nothing but good about this game. I want this or Darksiders.

[quote name='Muthafodder']I'd have to disagree...no issues with the PS3 version...besides my XBOX has RROD anyways.[/QUOTE]

As much as I would love to get this on my PS3, this will be the first 360 game I have bought in about a year. I never notice tearing and frame rate issue much, but loading on everything would get annoying fast. The post you are replying to has it right, get the 360 version if there is a choice. Don't mislead people into thinking the PS3 version has no issues.. its well documented on the net that it does.

From ps3.ign:
"The PS3 version has a lot of problems, primary among them being the excessive slowdown and loading. During certain scenes of high action, Bayonetta can slow down dramatically, enough to affect the gameplay experience. I can usually tolerate that sort of issue to an extent, but the loading problems are simply unacceptable.

This game loads all the time. When the player pauses the game during combat or a cutscene, there's noticeable loading before the pause menu is displayed. There's loading when you pick up an item and there's loading as you scroll through menus. There's even an obnoxious load time just to view a list of save files. For a game that's supposed to emphasize quick action and style, these loads are almost deal-breakers. "

[quote name='$hady']So what your are trying to say is that you stole a copy or just the disc? :lol:[/QUOTE]

No unfortunately for me I ma honest so no I didn't steal it. But it struck me as odd that they had them out there like that.

It's probably one of those things you don't notice till you played it a substantial amount of time on both consoles.

Besides, all the reviews mention it as a problem. Surely they can't all be lying?

[quote name='acsguitar']Well I didn't have problems with loading or slowdown in the demo and considering I dont' have a 360 I'll stick with ps3[/QUOTE]

There are not excessive loading problems with the demo because you're not running off the disc, rather a fully installed piece of data.

Having played this game on both PS3 and 360 full versions on disc for the US releases, I can say that the slow down in the PS3 version is very noticeable. Some scenes that require the camera to move alot, or alot of action on the screen at once.. the game nearly comes a crawl and you can't even see what is happening till the action slows down. The 360 version does not have this issue and is very smooth.

Also, the PS3 version has to "load" for anything almost you wanna do. Wanna open a menu? Gotta load. Very annoying. Again, the 360 version does not have this.

For the game overall, the experience is amazing and the game is superb. Only thing I disliked is the terrible camera at parts, but it is fully controllable. I'm just lazy.

[quote name='mrmafia33']Anyone in the SF Bay Area try getting it?[/QUOTE]

NOPE ,no luck .I tried both geary street BB and 3rd street BB. The guy in Geary Street BB said not in stock and the 3rd street bb said out of stock.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']no bayonetta anywhere in DE yet...[/QUOTE]

It was in the Brandywine Target a couple days before Christmas. Maybe they have since pulled them?

I saw Bayonetta at Power Gamer, in Glen Burnie, MD yesterday. I saw the PS3 version, but didn't bother searching the 360 section to see if it was there. I considered buying it, but I'll wait a few games and get it cheaper on Amazon. It was the U.S. version, not import one.

Ok two things:

They were "supposed" to fix some issues with the Ps3 version for the us release. Is everyone here talking about the US release? Also is there not an install to hd disc option?

Ok from CVC review:

Sadly, the PS3 version is less polished than its 360 counterpart, with mini-load screens every time you open the inventory, pauses between action and cut-scenes and, on rare occasions, visual and audio slow-down when the screen's too full.

The mini loads won't bother me personally cause as someone somewhat new to the genre it might give me a second to rest. The slow down is apparently on "rare" occasions. My ps3 slows down in all games on rare occasions. Anyways I don't have a choice so there we go. I'm sure the x360 is better but I'm not writing off this because of some annoying non game breaking issues.

[quote name='acsguitar']
They were "supposed" to fix some issues with the Ps3 version for the us release. Is everyone here talking about the US release? [/QUOTE]
Which obviously didn't happen yet as all the reviews are still mentioning it as a problem.

Not sure about your second question btw.

As far as I'm concerned, ALL games released now for both platforms should have the frame rate consistency and load times that Uncharted 2/God of War has.

This should be the fucking rule, not the exception.

[quote name='IRHari']As far as I'm concerned, ALL games released now for both platforms should have the frame rate consistency and load times that Uncharted 2/God of War has.

This should be the fucking rule, not the exception.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 2, sure. But God of war?? that demo runs at like 20fps unless you're in a cave in the dark :lol: There's no vsync and the framerate is all over the place.

also, how are PS3 exclusive games a reference point for what multiplatform games should do? that's an entirely different beast. If Naughty Dog had to make two versions of Uncharted 2, it wouldn't look and run the way it currently does.

[quote name='acsguitar']The mini loads won't bother me personally cause as someone somewhat new to the genre it might give me a second to rest. The slow down is apparently on "rare" occasions. My ps3 slows down in all games on rare occasions. Anyways I don't have a choice so there we go. I'm sure the x360 is better but I'm not writing off this because of some annoying non game breaking issues.[/QUOTE]

Lol if you want a break, pause the game. Oh wait it'll load for that too ;). Like you said, you don't have a choice, so that immediately puts you somewhere that probably doesn't want to see the differences or care enough about them, even if you did what good will it do unless you drop a few hundred on a 360. But the "slowdown" is not rare, the framerate isn't even rock solid on the 360 but it generally stays high, whereas the ps3 is consistently a very large % down from that.

I was talking about the God of War collection. The demo is a demo, not a final product. It is what it is as they say.

also, how are PS3 exclusive games a reference point for what multiplatform games should do? that's an entirely different beast. If Naughty Dog had to make two versions of Uncharted 2, it wouldn't look and run the way it currently does.

But this is what I'm talking about. You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be. Realistically this won't happen but we should expect quality products from companies we're giving money to.

[quote name='IRHari']You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be.[/QUOTE]

Then maybe you should develop games? Honestly, I can't fault the companies sometimes, we treat the hardware like they're equal on capabilities and work the same. They don't. The only way for a ps3 to keep up with the 360 graphically is to take advantage of the cell, which is going to make programming it entirely different from the 360 version. Sure, it would be awesome if every game was equal, but when it comes to designing a game based around every intricate detail of one set of hardware and then asked to make it work exactly the same on something of a similar tech level, but completely different, I really can't say I'm surprised there are slipups here and there. The developers are human, and in this case it was a separate team from a different company(sort of) trying to do this probably in a short amount of time.

This will be one of the first games I buy whenever I get a 360. The framerate was trash from the PS3 demo I played. I really wanted this game too. Oh well.

[quote name='IRHari']I was talking about the God of War collection. The demo is a demo, not a final product. It is what it is as they say.

But this is what I'm talking about. You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be. Realistically this won't happen but we should expect quality products from companies we're giving money to.[/QUOTE]

The issue is really about resources... to get the game up to par with an exclusive PS3 title, it will take more resources for developers. Every MP game on PS3 is essentially and Xbox 360 game because no one really takes the time to optimize the game for the PS3. I don't know if this is an option, but, I'd like to see Sony of Sony's first party teams get a chance to port some of these games over. (Don't know if they'd be interested in doing that) but it'd be nice to know that a PS3 port is being handled by a team that's truly able to work on the hardware. Obviously, Asking Sega to port over Bayonetta was a bad idea. I'm getting this game for the PS3, but I'm not buying it at full price. I'm going to have wait until this is about 29, or 14 on the Target clearance rack!

edit: burnout paradise is probably one of... if not the best Multiplatform games for the PS3. I do believe that it could have been better if it had been given the First party treatment. It still looked and played great, a prime example of how MP games for PS3 should be handled... at the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vortextk']Then maybe you should develop games? Honestly, I can't fault the companies sometimes, we treat the hardware like they're equal on capabilities and work the same. They don't. The only way for a ps3 to keep up with the 360 graphically is to take advantage of the cell, which is going to make programming it entirely different from the 360 version. Sure, it would be awesome if every game was equal, but when it comes to designing a game based around every intricate detail of one set of hardware and then asked to make it work exactly the same on something of a similar tech level, but completely different, I really can't say I'm surprised there are slipups here and there. The developers are human, and in this case it was a separate team from a different company(sort of) trying to do this probably in a short amount of time.[/QUOTE]

I'm a software developer. I don't develop games, but I understand the issues that come up when you are programming for two separate systems. It's like programming something for the Mac and the PC. Of course, it will never be an exact port, where both run exactly the same, but if you take a piece of software developed for a mediocre machine (XBox 360), run it on something that's more powerful (PS3), it should run at least roughly as smooth as it does on the more powerful machine. If you have to reduce textures, and the framerate is STILL slower than the XBox, to me, that just means you took some auto-converter, translated whatever code you had for the XBox, and fixed any bugs that arose. To me, that means you did absolutely NO optimizing for the PS3.

That being said, I enjoyed the demo very much, but if they did some optimizing, it would warrant me going out and getting this on release day for $60. I looked closely at the demo, playing it for the third time, and realized that the game looks like a PS2 game, and I've been too mesmerized by her beautiful ass the whole time to care.

lol at "looks like a PS2 game"
PS2 game
devil_may_cry_3_dantes_awakening-141523.jpg

devil-may-cry-3-20040925102036152.jpg

devil_may_cry_3_26.jpg

Not a PS2 game
3145224.jpg

bayonetta_1a.jpg

Bayonetta_-_E3-PS3Screenshots16902bayo_SS_E3_0515_014s.jpg

Sorry it just annoys me when people say that about any game. No next gen title made after 2007 honestly looks anything close to what PS2/Xbox/GC were doing, unless you're specifically looking for some low budget, shovelware, no name title to compare with the absolute best of last gen. Go play your PS2 again, especially on your new HDTV.

[quote name='Animefalcon']provide its doesnt RROD on them:lol:, dont forget we total over charge for our 120gb hard drives for those who bought one in the first year.

anyways, i been playing my ps3 imported copy (i though the days of LAZY programming unwilling to learn the SPU's were over)[/QUOTE]

This dont have anything to do with LAZY programming or unwilling to learn. It has to do with time involved in programming for 5 SPU's. Its really crazy how long it takes to prog. and the end result most of the time IS NOT BETTER. Not only that pretty much every MULTI GAME sells MORE ON 360 so why even spend the time. Most all PS3 multi's are PORTS. The SAD TRUTH.

Also the word on the street (dev talk) they are letting this go a little early cause of the ps3 issues. Dont want to hurt sales to the ONLY PS3 users. Dont be so gullible to think this is by accident

[quote name='IRHari']I was talking about the God of War collection. The demo is a demo, not a final product. It is what it is as they say.

But this is what I'm talking about. You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be. Realistically this won't happen but we should expect quality products from companies we're giving money to.[/QUOTE]

okay, that's even worse. that's an up-port of a PS2 game. the PS3 should dominate it completely...there are few games this gen with a rock solid 60fps like that.

People with the PS3 version still enjoy it immensely from what I've read. It would be an "amazing game with framerate issues" instead of "inferior to the 360" had it been ps3 exclusive. I think the dirty secret here is that the 360 version has framerate issues too. There are levels and fights where it dips. I honestly didn't care...the action is so crazy, it's like a built-in break.

If all you have is a PS3, get over the forum bullshit and enjoy the most insane action game ever. :bouncy:

[quote name='jer7583']lol at "looks like a PS2 game"
PS2 game
devil_may_cry_3_dantes_awakening-141523.jpg

devil-may-cry-3-20040925102036152.jpg

devil_may_cry_3_26.jpg

Not a PS2 game
3145224.jpg

bayonetta_1a.jpg

Bayonetta_-_E3-PS3Screenshots16902bayo_SS_E3_0515_014s.jpg

Sorry it just annoys me when people say that about any game. No next gen title made after 2007 honestly looks anything close to what PS2/Xbox/GC were doing, unless you're specifically looking for some low budget, shovelware, no name title to compare with the absolute best of last gen. Go play your PS2 again, especially on your new HDTV.[/QUOTE]

those pics definetely do the game justice... but the gameplay isn't that good. (According to IGNs review). I wish they would just optimize the game for PS3, even if it means released the 360 version first, then releasing the PS3 version a couple of months later. I'll wait as long as I'm getting a quality product. I'm patient.

I can't believe this thread has become a great debate over which console has the superior version of Bayonetta. We all know that the 360 version is the better of the two, but in reality it isn't all that much better that someone who only owns a PS3 shouldn't purchase a copy.

It's very rare when a developer will optimize a game for the PS3 first and then port it to the 360. The PS3 is simply a harder system to develop for and it takes more time than the 360. When someone does make the PS3 version first and then port to the 360, typically the PS3 version turns out slightly better, look at Burnout Paradise for example. However in the case of Burnout, is the PS3 version really that much better than the 360? The answer, no it isn't.

The 360 will continue to be the system to develop games on first for most developers because of two reasons, it's easier to develop for and the 360 version of any game almost always out sells the PS3 counterpart.

Im just hoping all the PS3 negativity plays out in my favor and for once the PS3 version's price ends up dropping faster than that of the 360 version.

I figure Ill just go for AoT or Darksiders in the meantime...

bread's done
Back