Best Buy 60 GB PS3 w/ your choice of either a controller/HS/Lair

antlive84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey Guys,

I walked into Best Buy today to buy some things and they had written on a computer paper next to the PS3's that you can choose to either get an extra controller, Heavenly Sword, or Lair free with purchase of the 60 GB model! I almost picked one up. Plus, if you are a reward zone member (free to join) you get $10 back in reward zone points ($500, every $250 you spend you get $5 reward zone certificate).

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

Jumped on this yesterday, happy I did. I happen to be vacationing in Oregon this weekend, which means NO SALES TAX. Went down to the BB, employees had no idea what I was talking about, but they looked it up online. Said they had to do an online pricematch and to pick up the system at customer service. I said whatever and kept shopping. Picked up Heavenly Sword for free with the console and decided to grab an extra controller and a couple of Blu-Ray movies.

The best part is that the girl at customer service got confused when I introduced a RZ 10% coupon for the controller. They couldn't get it to work, so they ended up discounting all over the place where they shouldn't have (10% off HS, free controller, $60 off the console).

I ended up walking out with:

60GB PS3
Second Controller
Heavenly Sword
All-Pro Football
Enchanted Arms
Memento (Blu-Ray)
Chicago (Blu-Ray)
Finding Neverland (Blu-Ray)

For.... $574 grand total! I was driving around grinning like an idiot for about an hour after the fact :)

Plus, there's 5 free Blu-Rays by mail too! Plus plus, about $10 in RZ certs from BB! Plus plus plus, 1% cash back from my Amex Card!

This isn't the way the deal was supposed to work, I just got extremely lucky. I don't recommend trying to reproduce this, as it certainly is not within the intention of the deal they're offering.

FYI, if you're looking to use the PS3 for backward compatibility, the 60GB is the definitive choice. So yes, $500 for this and either HS or a Controller (if you actually pick Lair, you should be ashamed of yourself) is actually a better deal than $500 for the 80GB and Motorstorm.

I saw this thread today so I took my receipt from the PS3 I bought there 2 weeks ago and they gave me the controller with little hassle. They seemed a little confused at first but I just explained how the deal is even posted on their web site and they gave it up without a fuss. Thanks for the heads up on this deal.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']At the rate the PS3 is selling, Sony won't be around to make one.[/QUOTE]

at the rate your brain is decaying, i'd say you have about 2 days to live.

I thought we would be seeing bigger drops than this. The 80 GB already comes with a game for the same price.

Never4Ever: 80GB is about 85% BC and the 60GB is 95% right? I don't own a ton of PS2 games so the slightly lower rate doesn't affect me.

[quote name='Foolman']I thought we would be seeing bigger drops than this. The 80 GB already comes with a game for the same price.

Never4Ever: 80GB is about 85% BC and the 60GB is 95% right? I don't own a ton of PS2 games so the slightly lower rate doesn't affect me.[/QUOTE]

60GB + 1 game + 100% backwards compatible

vs

80GB + 1 game + 85% backwards compatible

What is more important: 20GB of space, or perfect backwards compatibility? That is the only question.

I went to best buy yesterday and did this (with Heavenly Sword).

I called first and the lady had no idea what I was talking about so she forwarded me someone in the videogame area, who also had no idea.

I basically said "Listen: Yesterday an employee newsletter was sent out which said the 60GB ps3 now comes with your choice of Heavenly Sword, Lair, or a controller for free. Do you know about this? Could you check or ask someone who does?" He left and a few minutes came back and said that what I said was correct and they had everything in stock. owned.

Just bring your stuff to the register, you don't have to ask anybody. It rings up full price for everything, then when they hit total, a window pops up saying there's a promotion yadda yadda yadda do you want to continue? They hit yes and the item is deducted.

And YMMV, but my cashier had no problem also deleting the BD remote from the total when I showed them the printout from walmart.com. Total out the door for 60GB, Heavenly Sword, and remote was $141 and change (I had $400 in gift cards to burn) :)

First post on CAG. :)

I registered just to see what my options are for this deal:

I just purchased the 60 gig at BB 4 days ago, and I want in on this free game business!

I already downloaded the newest firmware for the PS3, so if for some reason BestBuy won't give me Heavenly Sword for free (with just showing them the reciept), then if I have to return it, will BB take it back?

What's a clever statement to tell BB so that they will give me the free game?

thanks CAG! :D

Welcome to the board. You just have to show your receipt to them and inform them that the PS3 is suppose to come with a free game. If they don't know anything about it, tell them to check the employee newsletter or check on their own website. They shouldn't really give you much trouble, unless the game is out of stock. :X

Cheers :)

IS it possible to bring back HS or Lair at a later date for a trade in? Like, trade the unopened game for something you would really want...

Just picked up one with Heavenly Sword. I just asked the guy to check the system and he says the promo is legit. He even went to the back to get me a copy of HS.

I am looking to get in on this deal, but I would really like to be able to get Ratchet and Clank Future instead of HS or Lair. I know it's brand new, but the MSRPs for these 3 games are the same as is the publisher (SCEA). I therefore see fit to at least attempt this tomorrow.

I just picked up one today, they only had one left and every store in town was sold out of them except for one in the boonies that had 40 left. Better pick one up quickly

[quote name='Lynsanity']IS it possible to bring back HS or Lair at a later date for a trade in? Like, trade the unopened game for something you would really want...[/QUOTE]

This won't work, cuz the deal specifies those games only, most likely they'll give you credit back for the game, or you can maybe trade that game for anything specified on the deal. Many people have tried this procedure on other deals and failed, so the success rate is really low, unless you get a clueless employee, so YMMV.

I picked one up on saturday with an extra controller. I've been holding out for a bigger price drop on the 60 GB and really wanted the backwards compatibility. This was a pretty good promo so I had to bite.

Aaargh, I bit on this deal and took one off a stack of about 15 at the BB in Dedham, MA, got Heavenly Sword. I was going to keep waiting, but I have a PSP too and want to fool around with the interoperability. HS is a short game and can be sold for $40+ right now when I'm done with it. I had a $15 BB gc too (I accidentally got two of them for the GH2RT80s promo they did over the summer).

Egad, the punk cashier was really annoying about my refusing the ripoff protection plan. "I'll risk it," I told him. "Really?" he replied, "That's a $500 risk, you really want to do that?"

No, dipshunt, the first 3 times I told you I didn't want the fucking thing you should have realized that I'm not a sucker for that crap like the other 90% of the people you're scamming. Sorry, no commish for your zit cream, dude.

What does the Better Business Bureau think of these warranties or the fact the these stores try to ram it down your throat.

I wish the lemmings who bought it would all die and then these stores will stop the powersell. So damn annoying. I'm gonna complain to a manager the next time. That will at least make that cashier tone it down on future customers (if there's a god).

[quote name='GT']I wish the lemmings who bought it would all die and then these stores will stop the powersell. So damn annoying. I'm gonna complain to a manager the next time. That will at least make that cashier tone it down on future customers (if there's a god).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, good call there. I really wish I hadn't purchased a Replacement Plan for my 360, so that I could've waited a month or more each of the two times that I've had to have the unit replaced. Hmmm ... pay nothing and twiddle my thumbs for 2 months, or pay a measely $60 and walk in with a broken 360, walk out with a new one (with HDMI) the same day --- as many times as I need to for the life of the plan.

Anyway, sounds like a good deal for people that want to make sure that their PS2 library is being emulated via hardware, or don't want to sign up for a credit card. Otherwise, the 80GB PS3 (hardware/software PS2 emu) with MotorStorm packed in for $399+tax and free shipping ($499 - $100 discount to new SonyStyle cardholders) from sonystyle.com is the clear winner in my mind.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665225458

[quote name='Lynsanity']IS it possible to bring back HS or Lair at a later date for a trade in? Like, trade the unopened game for something you would really want...[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind being a bit fraudulent, you can try your luck exchanging it at a Wal-mart.

They're generally pretty open with receiptless exchanges as long as you don't do it a lot (they enter your driver's license, and I think have some threshold of blacklisting you if you do too many times in a set period).

I'd read about it before, but never tried it until last week. Had no interest in Two Worlds that came with the Frys.com 360 bundle deal, and was able to exchange it for Halo 3 at Wal-mart with no problems. Just said I got it for a gift and wasn't interested in it, and they let me exchange it.

[quote name='lowlevel']Yeah, good call there. I really wish I hadn't purchased a Replacement Plan for my 360, so that I could've waited a month or more each of the two times that I've had to have the unit replaced. Hmmm ... pay nothing and twiddle my thumbs for 2 months, or pay a measely $60 and walk in with a broken 360, walk out with a new one (with HDMI) the same day --- as many times as I need to for the life of the plan.[/url][/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I can agree there are instances such plans pay off, especially for the rampant red ring of death 360 (please flame me). Do you at least agree the oversell is not warranted and bad customer service?

[quote name='GT']Fair enough. I can agree there are instances such plans pay off, especially for the rampant red ring of death 360 (please flame me). Do you at least agree the oversell is not warranted and bad customer service?[/QUOTE]
Well, of course I don't condone the oversell of anything after the customer refuses (Gamestop EDGE cards, Best Buy warranties, etc), but you also have to put it into perspective. Oftentimes when you experience an oversell one of two things are happening:

1) The rep is being watched or otherwise monitored by a manager, and HAS to ask you again.
2) The rep is not listening, or doesn't care what your first answer was, because he/she wants the carrot that their manager is dangling for the rep with the most warranty/EDGE/etc. sales at the end of the month.

. . . and you wished for me to die. That kinda ruffled my feathers a bit. ;)

[quote name='lowlevel']
1) The rep is being watched or otherwise monitored by a manager, and HAS to ask you again.
2) The rep is not listening, or doesn't care what your first answer was, because he/she wants the carrot that their manager is dangling for the rep with the most warranty/EDGE/etc. sales at the end of the month.
[/QUOTE]

I really don't give a crap about the reason for it. One no should be enough. I've stopped shopping at Gamestop because all the ones around me push shit so aggresively (among other reasons).

Luckily, I don't have much problem at Best Buy, one refusal is generally enough, if they push anything at all.

I'm gonna go and try to get the free BR remote from the walmart deal along with the free game and PS3 either tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I get a clueless worker.

Do you think I should go to the customer service desk, or straight to a cashier?

I went back and they gave me the deal. My friend tried buying a system at the same time and the guy WOULDN'T give him the deal, saying it was online-only.

[quote name='lowlevel']. . . and you wished for me to die. That kinda ruffled my feathers a bit. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, uh, gee....that part's still on... ;)

Game on cheaply, my friend...

I had bought the 60gb PS3 three weeks ago and they gave me the deal today. I picked up Lair since I already had Heavenly Sword. I've been wanting Lair anyways.

I didn't have any problems, and there was a sign in the video game section for this deal.

I just went in and got a 60GB PS3 with heavenly sword and the blu-ray remote for $500 even. The cashier charged me one cent for the remote because she couldn't make it free.

[quote name='lowlevel']
Anyway, sounds like a good deal for people that want to make sure that their PS2 library is being emulated via hardware, or don't want to sign up for a credit card. Otherwise, the 80GB PS3 (hardware/software PS2 emu) with MotorStorm packed in for $399+tax and free shipping ($499 - $100 discount to new SonyStyle cardholders) from sonystyle.com is the clear winner in my mind.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665225458[/QUOTE]

Where did you find the info on the $100 off with Sony card? off topic, but I've been waiting for that to pick up the Sony Reader. Didn't see anything about it on the Sonystyle site.

[quote name='pcktlnt']Welcome to the board. You just have to show your receipt to them and inform them that the PS3 is suppose to come with a free game. If they don't know anything about it, tell them to check the employee newsletter or check on their own website. They shouldn't really give you much trouble, unless the game is out of stock. :X

Cheers :)[/quote]
Long story, but I had Best Buy return my PS3 onto a gift card, and then the girl at customer service rang up the same PS3 again, but with Heavenly Sword too!

And all is well in the world now. ;p

Later pcktlnt.

lol, that way works too. I finally jumped on the deal. I now have a PS3 sitting next to me. I'm admiring the box while I ponder whether or not I shall have enough money to pay off my credit card. ^__^

*note: unemployed college student*

[quote name='pcktlnt']lol, that way works too. I finally jumped on the deal. I now have a PS3 sitting next to me. I'm admiring the box while I ponder whether or not I shall have enough money to pay off my credit card. ^__^

*note: unemployed college student*[/QUOTE]

well, when I was in college I'd get a part-time job to feed my gaming habit, or if I couldn't afford a console, probably sell anything I had for some cash. As a last resort I'd talk to my folks about lending me a couple of hundreds, but even than, I tried tutoring as much as I could for cash.

[quote name='NolbertoS']well, when I was in college I'd get a part-time job to feed my gaming habit, or if I couldn't afford a console, probably sell anything I had for some cash. As a last resort I'd talk to my folks about lending me a couple of hundreds, but even than, I tried tutoring as much as I could for cash.[/QUOTE]

Donating plasma is also an excellent source of income for a acollege student.

Yea, I read up on the plasma thing, I don't have time to go to the clinics. I don't like asking my folks for money, they do some guilt trip stuff, I'm borrowing some cash from my childhood friend just cause I know I can pay him back by Dec. I'm not good at tutoring. I confuse the person and myself eventually. I guess I didn't save enough like I planned. I'm down 140. lol :)

[quote name='wolfhunt']Where did you find the info on the $100 off with Sony card? off topic, but I've been waiting for that to pick up the Sony Reader. Didn't see anything about it on the Sonystyle site.[/QUOTE]

Click here to get to the Playstation 3 Systems section of the Sony Style site.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16167

The main header image there should be of the 80GB bundle, and say "Save $100 now on Plastation 3 80GB". Then there will be a "Shop Now" button beneath that. THEN, beneath "Shop Now", there will be a link that says "Save Even More", and will link here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...eStorefront&mpe_id=1908885412&cmsId=sony_card

That last link explains the way the $100 credit is issued to new account holders.

Hope this all helps!

[quote name='GT']Oh, uh, gee....that part's still on...

Game on cheaply, my friend...[/quote]
:D

[quote name='lowlevel']Click here to get to the Playstation 3 Systems section of the Sony Style site.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...0551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16167

The main header image there should be of the 80GB bundle, and say "Save $100 now on Plastation 3 80GB". Then there will be a "Shop Now" button beneath that. THEN, beneath "Shop Now", there will be a link that says "Save Even More", and will link here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...eStorefront&mpe_id=1908885412&cmsId=sony_card

That last link explains the way the $100 credit is issued to new account holders.

Hope this all helps!

:D[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lowlevel. I've been looking for that.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but I finally saw the flyer about this deal printed at BB, and it says the promo is good 10/19/07-11/16/07. Not sure what happens on 11/16-- if that's an indication of a possible price cut to try to move them out or if they'll extend it or what...

[quote name='Justin42']Not sure if anyone posted this, but I finally saw the flyer about this deal printed at BB, and it says the promo is good 10/19/07-11/16/07. Not sure what happens on 11/16-- if that's an indication of a possible price cut to try to move them out or if they'll extend it or what...[/quote]

yeah I'm pretty curious as to find out what'll happen to the rest of the 60 gigs that are going to be left in stock.

here's to hoping for a 400 new/325-350 used dollar 60 gig in the immed. future...

Looks like Best Buy's website is out of stock of 60GB systems(not like any of you were planning to order online and wait unless all your local stores are out of stock or something). Anyway I picked one up during the weekend with Heavenly Sword, I plan on getting Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, Ninja Gaiden: Sigma, and Uncharted when it comes out. My local Best Buy(Owings Mills, MD) had quite a few 60GB systems in stock but no signs mentioning the deal.

Sorry to bump an old post, but looks like the 60GB SKU has been taken outta of BB's website completely..I take it the 60GB PS3's are history now and I bet will be a lucrative item on ebay...but I'm keeping mine..glad I picked it up during this sale, as I went to 2 local BB's recently and they were all outta stock.

Mine still has a few. Ironically I'm less likely to buy one because the new units don't have backwards compatibility.

At any rate, Playstation 3's and PS3 games are definitely selling at my Best Buy. Several times I've seen more people going through that section than the 360 section.

I just wish they had left in BC, and had a better controller setup (available wired, better power options) like the 360.

I've seen a few at mine for a while. To be honest I was debating weather to get a PS3 or a 360 and I am leaning towards the 360. For one its cheaper and there are a lot of games for it that are cheap as well. I've been loyal to Sony since the PS1 and this 60 gig sounded ok until I realized the 360 has that holiday bundle...I might wait out the PS3 until the next price drop.

[quote name='Wolfpup']..., and had a better controller setup (available wired, better power options) like the 360.[/quote]

The PS3 controller can be plugged into the PS3 using a standard USB Cable (A to Mini-B connection). It uses that to charge, and you could use it to make the controller wired. I agree that it might be nice if the PS3 controller could use standard AA batteries or had a removable battery pack, but at least the battery life is not terrible with the SIXAXIS.

-- Oxygen

Yeah, I guess I'd need to find a long A to B connector. The one included is like 6 inches long ;) Something 10 feet would be good. And hopefully it wouldn't fall out since it's not really connected that well.

bread's done
Back