Best Buy PMing Used prices @ GS & GC for New

[quote name='NegativeZero']It's not but is it,

lots of people dont want to deal with GS
some people may live closer to a BB than GS
I personally come across BB GC's more than GS
If GS is out of stock on something you may be able to get it new at the used price.
competition between companies is usually good for the buyer.
GS may introduce new incentives to get back customers that they may lose to BB[/QUOTE]

^^ This is truth.
In addition if you have BB RewardZone you get 2% back in points ($20 certificate for 1000p) and on top of that, if you are enrolled in the RZ Gamers Club you get another 6.6% return in points ($10 cert for $150 spent in games) and on top of that, if you have the BB RewardZone Mastercard you get another 4% when you shop at BB ($20 cert for $500 spent).

For example, if I spent $500 on games in a single year (no CAG will spend this much right? but this is just a rounded # for example):

$500 spent on games at BB - I get in gift cert:
-----------------------------------------
$10 for standard RZ (2% points)
$30 from Gamers Club ($10 per $150)
$20 from the RZ Mastercard (@ 4% points)
-----------------------------------------
That's $60 per $500 spent or 12% savings on top of the price match.

Plus buying new SUPPORTS DEVELOPERS!!!

I think its brilliant.
Most of the time Gamestop is charging $5 off of retail for their new used games.
That is no skin off of Best Buy's nose.
Anything that will force Gamestop to lower their used game prices is a good thing.

[quote name='omyard']This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.[/QUOTE]

When I bought a PS2 several years back at a Best Buy (should be Worst Sale), an employee was harassing me about the system because that was all I was buying at the time. I should have shoved the box into his chest and told him I was going to Toys 'R Us across the parking lot.

[quote name='omyard'] The hope is to make Best Buy their retail destination, but to take full advantage of this you're going to have to invest time into going to another retail store. For a typical consumer I can't imagine they're going to waste so much time for so little reward. They'll have to go into Gamestop or Game Crazy, find a used game they want, call or drive to the local Best Buy and see if they have the same title, hassle with the employee to price match, wait for them to approve or call the other store and then purchase the title. I have 2 Gamestop stores within 5 minutes of the same Best Buy and I'd just go ahead and buy the used game instead of going through all that hassle for a typical $5 in savings.[/QUOTE]

An incentive in addition to save $5 or more on price match would be able to get the instruction manual and cover art in an original case without the ugly stickers (in other words a complete game) as opposed to disc only from somebody "fencing their stolen goods" or the ever popular "I only keep the disc and throw everything else away because it takes up space and I like my discs scratched up."

[quote name='omyard'] Whatever, I don't care. I the majority of my game shopping on Amazon now.[/QUOTE]

I do all my new shopping on Amazon or Froogle.com and my used shopping on E-Bay or Amazon.

Rarely do I ever enter a Best Buy or GameStop.

I'm sure this is a test market, like they're doing with the trade-ins.

I'd love to see the restrictions list on what they'll PM, and my guess it'll follow the rules they normally do for a PM, they need some proof. As GS & GC don't put out print ads very often, it'll be something they don't do often if they're going to require a print ad for proof.

Web site printouts can be Photoshopped, though for the BB's in my area, they have Internet access at the register at customer service, so they could go to GS.com and look up the prices, as well as call. GC would require a call since I don't think their site posts used prices.

I'm curious to see if this dies in the test market or goes nation-wide. I might give a little business to BB from GS/GC over it, since it does give developers money from the new sale versus used.

[quote name='Zimmy']I think its brilliant.
Most of the time Gamestop is charging $5 off of retail for their new used games.
That is no skin off of Best Buy's nose.
Anything that will force Gamestop to lower their used game prices is a good thing.[/QUOTE]I'm sure that they're getting equivalent margins on their games, though I'm sure BB knows they can get someone in the store to buy something else that they'd get in additional revenue that GS wouldn't have seen.

[quote name='Royale']Hey! That's my local Best Buy. Load up the kids honey, we're goin' shopping![/QUOTE]

Get on your Sunday Best kids, we're going to Sears Best Buy!

This will be very good for selling the games on ebay. Ebay buyers will pay tons more for the same working game that's just sealed.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']But as for this, I'll continue buying used at Gamestop. I like my local Gamestop, and I like to support them.[/QUOTE]
:( Part of the problem.

[quote name='omyard']This kind of shocks me because when I worked at Best Buy they would micro manage their margins like crazy. Hell, even the summer after the Wii was released I had a manager who refused to let us sell Wii's unless we could talk to customer and attach accessories and games then pull out the "I think we might've just received some" card. As a former retail person I'm all too familiar with the concept of using loss leaders to bring in customers, but if they're just doing this for any game they're eroding either most or all of their margin.[/QUOTE]

Heh, now I know how to tease them if I ever I buy a system there. I'll just play dumb and ask for a the system and have a list of accessories I "need" to get with it, and when they're about to ring it up, decide only to get the system.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Saw this sign at my local BB in West Jordan Utah. Anyone else seen this?
3795712726_c7e0575710.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I live in West Jordan, I'll have to check this out. You are not my neighbor are you?

Yup, i saw it in the same store a couple days ago, Was right in front of the isle almost knocked it down. I didnt really bother reading it though. If anything this shows how ridiculously overpriced used games are. You only save about 5-10 bucks on used. But this is a great deal. Too bad they don't have Sacred 2 in stock.

This would be interesting if it rolls out in my area. I'd rather give my money to Best Buy and the developer rather than Gamestop. I like that someone is trying to take a shot at Gamestop.

Very happy to see this. This is a win/win for everyone (except GameStop).

Very smart on Best Buy's behalf since they have to drop the price so little to price match GameStop insane $54.99 off used games.

I'm happy to see this and LOVE that a retailer is taking on Gametop's used game ridiculousness. $5 is not a discount worthy of used over new, IMHO.

At the same time, Amazon does most new games $5-$6 off already, they have a huge selection, and when I stack up prime shipping and ECA coupons I get even better deals. Appreciate Best Buy doing it for the "I need it this very second" crowd, but Amazon is still gonna see most of my money.

Went to two different Best Buys in Central Florida (Leesburg and Ocala) and did not see any mention of this program. I'm praying this plan reaches Florida, I've never been a fan of gamestop

It is late in the week.... This could be in the Merch kit for next week aka starting on Sunday. That particular store could have just put it out early to get a jump start on things.

i dont understand how this will work is best buy gonna pick up the phone everytime and call GS? Plus you cant really bring in a ad for GS

[quote name='MuzykMann']I'm happy to see this and LOVE that a retailer is taking on Gametop's used game ridiculousness. $5 is not a discount worthy of used over new, IMHO.

At the same time, Amazon does most new games $5-$6 off already, they have a huge selection, and when I stack up prime shipping and ECA coupons I get even better deals. Appreciate Best Buy doing it for the "I need it this very second" crowd, but Amazon is still gonna see most of my money.[/QUOTE]

are you forgetting that you have to pay to get the ECA discount and have prime?

[quote name='bvharris']Joystiq posted on this and has apparently contacted Best Buy for comment, so maybe we'll find out.[/QUOTE]

And to think I hesitated posting this for fear it had allready been posted.

[quote name='konamifan2002']for once its good to be in Utah, too bad im back in China[/QUOTE]

Just curious, but...Mormon mission?

Back to topic...it's so odd we've only heard of this at a single test market, in Utah. Man the possibilities are just dancing through my head if this ever comes to LA. Who cares about getting denied, at least I'd give it a try to have them match the weekly coupons, Edge, not to mention when they drop used prices on slightly older games to say $20 each, that Best Buy is still selling for $59.99

I have a feeling that BB will call the shots on this deal. They will have a few "select" games to discount that are based on the used price GS has.

Kinda like how place show "the other guys" price and their lower price. And often times "the other guys" price is MSRP and their price is a few bucks cheaper and usually not that much of a deal.

[quote name='mrnivek'] I'd rather give my money to Best Buy and the developer rather than Gamestop. I like that someone is trying to take a shot at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. One of the reasons I try to buy my games new is to support the people who actually made the game.

It will be interesting to see how all of this works out.

[quote name='karkyco']Just curious, but...Mormon mission?[/QUOTE]
Doubt it. He wouldn't have time to hang out on CAG, if that were the case.

[quote name='shafnitz']Doubt it. He wouldn't have time to hang out on CAG, if that were the case.[/QUOTE]

he also wouldnt be in china.

[quote name='mrnivek']This would be interesting if it rolls out in my area. I'd rather give my money to Best Buy and the developer rather than Gamestop. I like that someone is trying to take a shot at Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Last time I check Best Buy owns Gamestop/EB Games.

So assuming my store does the price matching: what do I need to take with me? an ad? internet printout? or do I just go to a register and be like "hey suckah, I'm buying the last one. price match this bitch." and they'll google it for me? never messed with PMing.

I wonder if this is just Best Buy or if the game publishers are backing it. I could see them backing such a program for a year or two, reimbursing Best Buy for the 'losses' they take. If they could kill Gamestop, they would knock a huge chunk out of the used game market, which is something they've been hoping to do for years.

[quote name='maxfisher']I wonder if this is just Best Buy or if the game publishers are backing it. I could see them backing such a program for a year or two, reimbursing Best Buy for the 'losses' they take. If they could kill Gamestop, they would knock a huge chunk out of the used game market, which is something they've been hoping to do for years.[/QUOTE]
Interesting point. I wonder if it would be legal or ethical for a publisher to give kickbacks to Best Buy for a program like this.

[quote name='bvharris'] I hope this spreads.

The best part is the games will actually be new not "new but some employee opened it, took it home, played it, got grease stains on the manual, and its been sitting in a sleeve for a month"[/QUOTE]

Amen!! :applause::applause::applause:

Someone is taking control and challenging for the title of game store supremacy. :applause:........................:lol: Let's see if Gamestop or Gamecrazy do ANYTHING at all. :bouncy:

I've been a member of CAG for almost two years now, and everytime any store does anything new related to video games, everyone is so quick to write off GS. But they are still chugging along and making huge profits.

If they made this national this wouldn't drastically change how much business I did with them for a few reasons. Almost certainly, this will not include edge bonus of extra 10 percent off so it will still be 5 bucks more than Gamestop. More importantly, I'm often using store credit when buying a used game and using a promo like b2g1 free, not to mention the extra few dollars saved because of no tax on a trade in.

In todays economy 5 bucks off aint a great deal. You can almost always get a new release for better than that off of Amazon or from toy's r us. Really games are too expensive period, they should be like 20-40 bucks. That's the price point i'm willing to buy new and feel like I'm getting a good deal. Developers should stop crying about used prices hurting thier sales and stop the 60 dollar price fixing. When games drop to 40 like Red Faction has done on Amazon or even call of juarez for 35 bucks people seem to go nuts for em, and when street fighter dropped to 20 bucks at gamestop they were sold out in a day.

Not to mention used game prices on Gamestop aren't that great. Not as good as the prices you might get from an Amazon sale, or buying it used off of Amazon or eBay.

There's a Best Buy that just recently opened up by my home. I hope they go for this, we have two Gamestops and a GameCrazy in town.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I've been a member of CAG for almost two years now, and everytime any store does anything new related to video games, everyone is so quick to write off GS. But they are still chugging along and making huge profits.[/QUOTE]

They may be making huge profits now, but that's what all monopolies throughout time tend to do. Not only is their stock price falling from what it was back in 2007, but 25% of its market (used games) are being cracked into by Amazon, Walmart, and a host of other competitors and now BB is attempting to start a trade in program and a price war. Apparently all the retailers knew there was something to used gaming (i.e. Circuit City's massive failure) But if BB implements this plan nationwide, it's either going to drop used games to a level where BB and the like won't be able to compete like the good old days where used was normally 50% of new (with Gamestop then reraising them--the Walmart plan), its going to severly eat into Gamestops profits and send them the way of EBgames, or its going to bring new games back down to old normal ($50) prices rather than collector's edition ($60) prices. Either way, I applaud BB for this move, the industry is releasing a lot of trash for $60, and the cost of production can be seen on this website daily where we find games for 1/10 or even 1/20 of its original MSRP. The monopoly of used gaming is ready to be cracked, and this may very well do it. Let us know how it goes Utah CAGS!!!

bread's done
Back