Best Buy PMing Used prices @ GS & GC for New

ever since circuit city died seems like best buy has been void of deals, if 5 bucks off is the best they're gonna do they aren't doing much. Just look at what competitors have been doing lately. You can get batman off of amazon for 48 bucks with no tax, toy's r us had wii sports, resident evil and many others with a 20 dollar gift card, microcenter has madden 2010 for 35. and best buy is giving us a game for 55, very underwhelming. Yet, it seems like people are really excited about this possibility. You can get almost any game for a much better price than a few dollars off.

This is great news because if it sticks Gamestop will have to drop used game prices to get bestbuy to reverse their policy. they can afford to tighten their enormous profit margins on used games. Worst case scenario is gamestop flops, but I doubt that. Gamestops are the cockroaches of the industry.

[quote name='caltab']ever since circuit city died seems like best buy has been void of deals, if 5 bucks off is the best they're gonna do they aren't doing much. Just look at what competitors have been doing lately. You can get batman off of amazon for 48 bucks with no tax, toy's r us had wii sports, resident evil and many others with a 20 dollar gift card, microcenter has madden 2010 for 35. and best buy is giving us a game for 55, very underwhelming. Yet, it seems like people are really excited about this possibility. You can get almost any game for a much better price than a few dollars off.[/QUOTE]

You have to take into account that the vast majority of Best Buy customers aren't the CAG type. Just seeing a deal offer is enough for them and they're not going to search for the best offer.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']This is great new because if it sticks Gamestop will have to drop used game prices to get bestbuy to reverse their policy. they can afford to tighted their enormous profit margins on used games. Worst case scenario is gamestop flops, but I doubt that. Gamestops are the cockroaches of the industry.[/QUOTE]

The only problem with this theory is the assumption that people will flock to bestbuy instead of gamestop. A ton of gamestop's business is generated by people who use store credit and not cash. Until bestbuy takes trade in's at all locations so that people can use credit instead of cash they will not be a threat to gamestop. I also dont think buying and selling used games makes gamestop "cockroaches". Ever other retailer is dabbling in the idea, so I guess they are all cockroaches. Also, the used game market allows you to retain value on games that you no longer want and buy products cheaper used...I don't see how thats bad for the consumer.

[quote name='dpb6058']They may be making huge profits now, but that's what all monopolies throughout time tend to do. Not only is their stock price falling from what it was back in 2007, but 25% of its market (used games) are being cracked into by Amazon, Walmart, and a host of other competitors and now BB is attempting to start a trade in program and a price war. Apparently all the retailers knew there was something to used gaming (i.e. Circuit City's massive failure) But if BB implements this plan nationwide, it's either going to drop used games to a level where BB and the like won't be able to compete like the good old days where used was normally 50% of new (with Gamestop then reraising them--the Walmart plan), its going to severly eat into Gamestops profits and send them the way of EBgames, or its going to bring new games back down to old normal ($50) prices rather than collector's edition ($60) prices. Either way, I applaud BB for this move, the industry is releasing a lot of trash for $60, and the cost of production can be seen on this website daily where we find games for 1/10 or even 1/20 of its original MSRP. The monopoly of used gaming is ready to be cracked, and this may very well do it. Let us know how it goes Utah CAGS!!![/QUOTE]

How does Gamestop have a monopoly? You understand what a monopoly is, don't you?

It'll be great to get new game for $5 cheaper.

On the opposite note, walked into Toys R Us (LIC, NY) and noticed new releases now priced at $64.99. WTF??? Games like Prototype, Infamous, Fight Night Round 4. TRU is out of the fuckin' minds.

[quote name='omyard']How does Gamestop have a monopoly? You understand what a monopoly is, don't you?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he didn't mean the term literally. They have had a stranglehold on the used market for a long time and have eaten the competition one by one....softwate ect, babbages, ebgames, ect. Might not be a technical monopoly but pretty close to being one until recently with the competition getting into the market.

[quote name='caltab']The only problem with this theory is the assumption that people will flock to bestbuy instead of gamestop. A ton of gamestop's business is generated by people who use store credit and not cash. Until bestbuy takes trade in's at all locations so that people can use credit instead of cash they will not be a threat to gamestop. I also dont think buying and selling used games makes gamestop "cockroaches". Ever other retailer is dabbling in the idea, so I guess they are all cockroaches. Also, the used game market allows you to retain value on games that you no longer want and buy products cheaper used...I don't see how thats bad for the consumer.[/QUOTE]
I used the word cockroaches with the utmost respect and a modest amount of snark. cockroaches can survive anything. and in truth gamestop is a dirty dirty place. I like to shop there to overhear some winning conversations between employees and customers, and everything I buy there is ever so sticky. As a CAG I shop where the prices are lowest and have absolutely no problem with used games. Games are way too fucking expensive, if the gaming industry wants to kill the used game market they're going to have to drop their prices down to something comparable with books, movies, and music. And the industry is headed in that direction anyway. Long live used games, down with $30-40 price margins on them! Down with $60 new releases!!!

You have a good point about trade ins but a move like this can only pilfer sales from gamestop. But maybe it's not enough to make any difference. Especially if this is only in small suburban markets.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']I used the word cockroaches with the utmost respect and a modest amount of snark. cockroaches can survive anything. and in truth gamestop is a dirty dirty place. I like to shop there to overhear some winning conversations between employees and customers, and everything I buy there is ever so sticky. As a CAG I shop where the prices are lowest and have absolutely no problem with used games. Games are way too fucking expensive, if the gaming industry wants to kill the used game market they're going to have to drop their prices down to something comparable with books, movies, and music. And the industry is headed in that direction anyway. Long live used games, down with $30-40 price margins on them! Down with $60 new releases!!!

You have a good point about trade ins but a move like this can only pilfer sales from gamestop. But maybe it's not enough to make any difference. Especially if this is only in small suburban markets.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see and totally agree. The used market is thriving in this crummy economy for a reason, games are just too expensive. You don't see a huge resale market for dvd's like games cause the savings just arent that substantial when the products are not all that expensive in the first place. I don't love gamestop by any means, but if i can find a game in good condition for the best price they have my business.

And retail chains complain about the possibility of consoles doing strictly DLC? Well they are only hurting themselves by further propagating this business model.

Don't get me wrong -- I love saving money like everyone else does. It just want to see the people who put in the hard work towards creating these games actually get rewarded for their efforts; of which, they see absolutely none when you buy a game used.

Saving money is important to me, but ensuring that there is actually sound financial incentive for game companies to actually develop games by eliminating used games (be it DLC or whatever) is more important. Otherwise, we'll just be left with crappy iPod like apps or moderately successful mini-games (full fledged DLC like Super Stardust HD, etc withstanding).

[quote name='caltab']Ah, I see and totally agree. The used market is thriving in this crummy economy for a reason, games are just too expensive. You don't see a huge resale market for dvd's like games cause the savings just arent that substantial when the products are not all that expensive in the first place. I don't love gamestop by any means, but if i can find a game in good condition for the best price they have my business.[/QUOTE]
GameStop gets my business because I have deemed certain publishers unworthy of my hard-earned money. I purposely buy their games used and will continue to do so until they wither and die.

Plus, there are a ton of games that didn't receive the love they should have that I can only buy used.

If developers want my money they'll release more Brutal Legends and fewer Guitar Hero's.

[quote name='bh47']It'll be great to get new game for $5 cheaper.

On the opposite note, walked into Toys R Us (LIC, NY) and noticed new releases now priced at $64.99. WTF??? Games like Prototype, Infamous, Fight Night Round 4. TRU is out of the fuckin' minds.[/QUOTE]

Looks like that TRU wants to make back all the $10 giftcards they gave out from previous purchases. Nothing like inflating the price to then advertise savings as TRU rewards members and give the uneducated CAG a false sense of savings.

back on topic: not at my local BB (brooklyn), still it's a pretty nice deal for a bunch of new games and it will probably clean out their stock on old titles and 1st gen consoles. smart move imo...

[quote name='caltab']If they made this national this wouldn't drastically change how much business I did with them for a few reasons. Almost certainly, this will not include edge bonus of extra 10 percent off so it will still be 5 bucks more than Gamestop. More importantly, I'm often using store credit when buying a used game and using a promo like b2g1 free, not to mention the extra few dollars saved because of no tax on a trade in.

In todays economy 5 bucks off aint a great deal. You can almost always get a new release for better than that off of Amazon or from toy's r us. Really games are too expensive period, they should be like 20-40 bucks. That's the price point i'm willing to buy new and feel like I'm getting a good deal. Developers should stop crying about used prices hurting thier sales and stop the 60 dollar price fixing. When games drop to 40 like Red Faction has done on Amazon or even call of juarez for 35 bucks people seem to go nuts for em, and when street fighter dropped to 20 bucks at gamestop they were sold out in a day.[/QUOTE]

if a game's msrp started at 20-40..... the value of a "deal" would likely decrease as well making their companies less money from the average consumer.

Since avg msrp for a new game is 60... people jump when you do an early sale for 40...

if games normally went for 40.... people wouldn't jump until a sale or drop for 20....

and if you're a cag..... some of the joy of getting a $60 game for $2-$5 or even free (you're in the movies??)... would be lost.... don't steal the cheap ass joy haha

i mean this is just another way to look at it

also - don't forget these companies need to make money themselves to be able to support the industry and keep on innovating and making cool new stuff.... so we have something worth being cheap about

[quote name='The SPism']if a game's msrp started at 20-40..... the value of a "deal" would likely decrease as well making their companies less money from the average consumer.

Since avg msrp for a new game is 60... people jump when you do an early sale for 40...

if games normally went for 40.... people wouldn't jump until a sale or drop for 20....

and if you're a cag..... some of the joy of getting a $60 game for $2-$5 or even free (you're in the movies??)... would be lost.... don't steal the cheap ass joy haha

i mean this is just another way to look at it

also - don't forget these companies need to make money themselves to be able to support the industry and keep on innovating and making cool new stuff.... so we have something worth being cheap about[/QUOTE]

I agree that the feeling that your getting a deal paying 40 dollars for a 60 dollar game probably does help sales. But, the 40 dollar deals are becoming so frequent these days, they don't even really seam like deals any more. Also, as to your comment that these companies need to make money, I'm of the opinion its quite possible for them to actually make more money by lowering prices and selling more copies. If they lower the price by 20 bucks or 30 percent, but sell twice as many copies they might actually make more money, given the cost of the disc, art and case can't be more than a few dollars.

this is probably a test by the big video game publishers through best buy to see if they can take out gamestop and the used game market this way

Gamestop lowering their used prices is not going to do anything productive. If this goes nationwide I can't think of any win-win situation for them. More than half of their profits come from the huge margins they set for buying and selling used games, and that profit is continuing to rise. All the while the profits earned from new games are slowly falling. Best Buy on the other hand is a huge retailer that earns most of it's money with consumer electronics, major appliances, car equipment, movies, and the various maintenance, repair, and installation services they provide (at absurd costs). They can easily afford to get into a price war with Gamestop, because they can meet and beat pretty much any offer Gamestop can possibly make. Sure it'll come at a loss to Best Buy's video game income, but when it's such a small percentage of your net income, it's well worth the cost of potentially cutting into your opponent's business, or even killing them off entirely. This comes right out of the Big Box Retailer vs Specialty Store playbook, and for the first time I'm rooting for the big box. It's also good for publishers as buying a new game even at used prices is still a sale for them, and it supports the industry. Whereas buying a used game at Gamestop is just filling the coffers of a company filled with assholes and bad policies.

I'm sorry I can't consider Gamestop a specialty store dedicated to gaming enthusiasts when I come in to buy a new game and they tell me they don't carry it because it wasn't going to sell 10 million copies. If a store that specializes in GAMES tells me they don't carry a GAME, then they're no different from the casual game sections at Target, Best Buy, or Walmart, complete with the incompetent staff. In that case what's the point of them existing? At least Gamecrazy tends to have some knowledgeable and helpful people, a wider selection, better used prices, and will sometimes let you try out a used game on one of the TVs before you decide on buying it. I swear I've got 12 Gamestops within 10 minutes driving distance and there's not one brain among them. fuck em, the evil empire has my vote this time.

*Prays for nation-wide offer*

There has been something going on and I know most of us at CAG have seen it. GS has been dropping prices like mad having buy 2 get 1 free a lot and a lot of good coupons and now Best Buy Strikes Back. I love it, ain't it great for the consumer to win sometime. Keep the war alive.
BTW GS has really saved all of us a lot of money and actually brought game prices down. All the old heads like me can remember when games on the Dreamcast, N64, Snes, even ps1 and original Xbox for a while never went down. They were always $60 and that sucked so I do give them credit for that. But their customer service at most of them suck "No I don't want to preorder anything, I would ask you if I did". That drives me crazy.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I think the store in Bloomington, MN next to Best Buy Corp. is a test store, any chance of them having this deal?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. If any (other) place is gonna have this deal, it'd be them. I'll check this weekend and report back.

[quote name='dpb6058']monopolies[/QUOTE]

I think monopoly might be one of the most overused words on the internet. Do you know how many outlets there are to buy and sell used games? I wish people would stop calling GS a monopoly.

I see this as a good thing, even though I do most of my game shopping on Amazon

[quote name='MuzykMann']At the same time, Amazon does most new games $5-$6 off already, they have a huge selection, and when I stack up prime shipping and ECA coupons I get even better deals.[/QUOTE]

What are ECA coupons and how do you get them

This needs to be rolled out nationally so the used sellers can lower their prices and stop giving people only $5 off for USED GOODS.

I doubt this makes it out of the test phase. Way too many headaches and red tape for Best Buy especially with people already trying to come up with ways to abuse it.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']CAG was just mentioned on the IGN Daily fix for this very reason..[/QUOTE]

Man this post has amazing legs. If I would have known it woould blow up like this I would have put myself in the picture. Oh, and BEYOND!

[quote name='xxdoylexx']man this post has amazing legs. If i would have known it woould blow up like this i would have put myself in the picture. Oh, and beyond![/quote]

beyond!

Everyone is making a big deal out of this for no reason...

So if a game is new $60, used $55, then best buy will sell the game for $55 PLUS TAX.

Here in Texas that would be:
$55 + 8.25% tax rate = $55 + $4.53 = $59.53

Probably the same game on amazon.com would cost $56.99 shipped or something like that. So this Best Buy price match deal is TOTAL FAIL.

[quote name='oasisboy']Everyone is making a big deal out of this for no reason...

So if a game is new $60, used $55, then best buy will sell the game for $55 PLUS TAX.

Here in Texas that would be:
$55 + 8.25% tax rate = $55 + $4.53 = $59.53

Probably the same game on amazon.com would cost $56.99 shipped or something like that. So this Best Buy price match deal is TOTAL FAIL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. $56.99 for your average new game with super saver shipping and you will get your game in a week if you are lucky. It's worth the extra 3 bucks to go home with the game the same day.

[quote name='Wizzleteets']I was thinking the same thing. If any (other) place is gonna have this deal, it'd be them. I'll check this weekend and report back.[/QUOTE]

I live two blocks from there (the Bloomington/Richfield BB). Any word? I will have to check tomorrow and I will update if no one knows yet

[quote name='Wizzleteets']I was thinking the same thing. If any (other) place is gonna have this deal, it'd be them. I'll check this weekend and report back.[/QUOTE]

PS: We must live really close

[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah. $56.99 for your average new game with super saver shipping and you will get your game in a week if you are lucky. It's worth the extra 3 bucks to go home with the game the same day.[/QUOTE]
not to mention that a very small portion of the population do their shopping online. A fail for you isnt a fail for all.

With Best Buy, there's always a catch. At the very least, I bet Gamestop actually has to have the game in stock at a local store.

[quote name='karkyco']Just curious, but...Mormon mission?

Back to topic...it's so odd we've only heard of this at a single test market, in Utah. Man the possibilities are just dancing through my head if this ever comes to LA. Who cares about getting denied, at least I'd give it a try to have them match the weekly coupons, Edge, not to mention when they drop used prices on slightly older games to say $20 each, that Best Buy is still selling for $59.99[/QUOTE]

fuck No, i'm not LDS. I ran away to China when i was 15, ive kinda just gone back and forth. ( im 20 now)

Not to sure if this has been mentioned but heres my take on it and sorry to be a sort of downer on the "End of EB/GS" high..

Thinking about this is a double edge sword..while competition ultimately favors the consumer and this will undoubtly cut into EB/GS profits this will not be the crumbling pillars that people think will kill the empore of EB/GS

Think about this unless its a super reduction on a good title is $5 worth the pricematch and another thing people forget is that Bestbuy does not carry nearly a fraction of the stock in variety of titles EB/GS has
so most of these titles will not be found in store to begin with the pricematch.

in the end the ones getting that shaft are the customer service workers that have to PM all this shit.

bread's done
Back