Best Buy Turtle Beach X12 and P11 Headsets $34.99, possibly $19.99 (YMMV)

Dund3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This deal (and the previous thread) is supposedly dead but THE DEAL LIVES! At least for me. The headsets should ring up for $34.99 but can possibly ring up for $19.99 if you can get BB to apply the $25 off to the $44.99 sale price. Here's my success story:

I got an email from BB this afternoon that clearly showed an image of "$25 off Turtle Beach Headsets". I printed that email (not the actual offer coupon with a barcode because I knew all about the fine print stuff) and went to the store.

I grabbed the X12's for Xbox 360 and noticed that there was a displayed offer for the free Rocketfish headset stand with the purchase of the headset. I grabbed that too and went to pay.

The guy at customer service couldn't get the free stand to ring up correctly so the manager had to override it (and then the manager told him to take down the "free headset stand" display). He also had to manually deduct the $25 savings from the headset. It took a a good 10 minutes, but in the long run it all rang up for just over $21.

Take home lesson: Highly YMMV, but I suggest printing off the email and show that to them, not the coupon you have to claim online. The deal will probably still require a manual override but they seem more inclined to do it if you can show them something that doesn't have all of the fine print on it. If it doesn't work, the headsets should be $34.99 + tax.

X12
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Turtle+...&st=X12&cp=1&lp=1&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01

P11
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Turtle+...on+3/2137159.p?id=1218310760165&skuId=2137159
1607jsw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JustinTheGamer']tried at my local store they said 35 and no headset stand that would be "double dip" tried talking to manager and got denied. without a headset for now trying my other store later crosses fingers.[/QUOTE]

Ah the "double dipping". I love it when someone at the top of a big box retailer appropriates a phrase, passes it through marketing for approval, forces it on their employees, and they in turn wield it against their customers. That's really become the annoying catch-all for everything that isn't easily resolved at Best Buy.

"But it's in your weekly sales circular..."
"That's double dipping"

"But the coupon doesn't say anything about regular prices..."
"That's double dipping"

"Yes I used some RZ points on the purchase. Why can't those be refunded?"
"That's double dipping"

"But I don't want to invite you over to meet my spouse..."
"Aww yeah... that's double dipping"

I scored the ps3 headset and the stand for a total of $35. I did only expect to pay 20 (after reading the original thread monday night), but whatever, so i bought the useless stand. All in all, i'd say its a good deal. Quick note, I see some people had to pay $35 and DID NOT get the stand. That sucks. Sorry guys :(

[quote name='Slight Defect']I scored the ps3 headset and the stand for a total of $35. I did only expect to pay 20 (after reading the original thread monday night), but whatever, so i bought the useless stand. All in all, i'd say its a good deal. Quick note, I see some people had to pay $35 and DID NOT get the stand. That sucks. Sorry guys :([/QUOTE]

Same here. Tried to talk them down to $20, but since I had a gift card I didn't really care. Got the stand and the headset.

Alright tried my other store successfully got the stand and headphones for the 34.99 price and picked up Aassassin's Creed for 10. Funny thing is the girl never even ring in the stand.

Scored Headset & stand for $35, bought the 2yr geeksquad for $8.99 & put a reserve on Black Ops II w/free dog tag...Total $51.18 = priceless, now to try and get a good price on a DSS hmm...

[quote name='violentfox']i was going to buy this but it's stereo. i was hoping for a 5.1 so i can watch movies on my pc as well[/QUOTE]

Best to buy a DSS...

[quote name='violentfox']i was going to buy this but it's stereo. i was hoping for a 5.1 so i can watch movies on my pc as well[/QUOTE]

you can always get a 5.1 amp afterwards. like an astro mixamp or a dss or a dss2. the dss2 is on sale now for $50.

you really need to see what your budget it. a decent 5.1 headset is $100+.

No luck in York in the $20 price, but my x11's got somewhat messed up when I moved a while ago and the wires are all tangled to hell, so I bit anyways for $35. I presented the coupon and I guess I wasn't the first since she mentioned that I could only get it for $35.

I ordered a DSS2 from Amazon and I got the headphones for $34.99 at BB. I'm not complaining. $85 for a decent and cheap headphones total with Dolby sound isn't too bad. They have the same thing selling at BB for $129.99. I did get the extended warranty on the headphones since the X12 has some issues about eventually damage.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Scored Headset & stand for $35, bought the 2yr geeksquad for $8.99 & put a reserve on Black Ops II w/free dog tag...Total $51.18 = priceless, now to try and get a good price on a DSS hmm...[/QUOTE]

you got upsold I would've went with squaretrade.com :lol: extended warranty

[quote name='spideymike']I ordered a DSS2 from Amazon and I got the headphones for $34.99 at BB. I'm not complaining. $85 for a decent and cheap headphones total with Dolby sound isn't too bad. They have the same thing selling at BB for $129.99. I did get the extended warranty on the headphones since the X12 has some issues about eventually damage.[/QUOTE]

Did some research and it seems the 1st DSS was better, kept reading about how they nerfed the 5.1/7.1 for the DSS2. I ended up just going with the 1st myself off eBay for $40 shipped.

Edit: wanted to add that the guy who rung me up was really cool & informative. Told me that I can also take the headset back and upgrade if a new one comes out, not sure squaretrade offers the same perk. In summary I thought they force employees to sell geeksquad. I was just returning the favor, since I did get the stand too.

[quote name='CaoPi']you got upsold I would've went with squaretrade.com :lol: extended warranty[/QUOTE]

Just checked out the Squaretrade site, didn't notice anything about headset coverage. Am I overlooking something ? Also would this site cover the PS 3D display ? I'm clueless...

Weird how this thread died, After using these I'm never looking back, $35 is still a great deal people! Getting the stand isn't impossible either, It's a cool stand too already proving to be very handy.

I think most employees were confused. The guy helping me tried to override but best buy doesn't like to talk to itself very well. At least I have some nice headphones to finish game of thrones.

[quote name='Linkgx1']I think most employees were confused. The guy helping me tried to override but best buy doesn't like to talk to itself very well. At least I have some nice headphones to finish game of thrones.[/QUOTE]

On my receipt it shows that they pennied out the stand since it wasn't combining with the coupon. But the manager came over and did that, I think it really paid off to be nonchalant.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Just checked out the Squaretrade site, didn't notice anything about headset coverage. Am I overlooking something ? Also would this site cover the PS 3D display ? I'm clueless...[/QUOTE]

they take all electronic items, BB geeksquad protection is ass ever since it switched from a protection plan instead of replacement plan

this thread died because the chances of getting at the $20 price now is slim to none, I'd say let it die

[quote name='CaoPi']they take all electronic items, BB geeksquad protection is ass ever since it switched from a protection plan instead of replacement plan

this thread died because the chances of getting at the $20 price now is slim to none, I'd say let it die[/QUOTE]

Odd, guy @ Bestbuy kept telling me they replace it if anything conks out. The only exception was if I abuse it such as sitting on it. As far as people not getting it for $20, $35 still seems like a great price for a $60 Headset. But yeah, I'll let it die...sorry.

i got it for 20$ easily. guess im one of the only people who still has a best buy filled with employees who will gladly help out, and not read every little word in the fineprint for 10 minutes. btw, the x12 is awesome, i can make every bullet sound like a cannon :D

[quote name='yesidoknow']I thought it was posted in a gamers magazine in the past few months that gamers club and best buy liked to encourage "double dipping"?[/QUOTE]

on coupons. Not on mistakes.

[quote name='confoosious']on coupons. Not on mistakes.[/QUOTE]

True. I see the only coupon that doesn't list prices when you claim it is the MW3 coupons which says "take 10 dollars off" while the others list the regular price and the sale price at which you should get it for.

[quote name='yesidoknow']True. I see the only coupon that doesn't list prices when you claim it is the MW3 coupons which says "take 10 dollars off" while the others list the regular price and the sale price at which you should get it for.[/QUOTE]

So is anyone having any luck with the MW3 coupon stacking with the sale price? Do you need to print something before you go in or is it automatic?

[quote name='mrclutch']So is anyone having any luck with the MW3 coupon stacking with the sale price? Do you need to print something before you go in or is it automatic?[/QUOTE]

I've seen a few people post in the best buy thread that they got it work with their RZ card. I'm going to try it later this week when I get paid.

[quote name='Linkgx1']Ok so dds instead of dds2
?[/QUOTE]

Googled quite a bit and the general audience prefers the 1st DSS, apparently they nerfed the 5.1/7.1 bringing it down to a 4.1 making the 2nd inferior. I went with the 1st for $40 off eBay. I have seen them go for less tho, but impatience was my nemesis lol...

got the DSS2 paired with the X12's. it's just plain awesome. I fired up Halo Reach, Left 4 Dead 2, and some others. it just makes such a different to have surround sound. in L4D2, I could pinpoint the special infected. it was so good, I started hunting them instead of waiting for them to pounce on me.

I bought the P11's the other day using the coupon. I didn't even see the sign for the free headstand. does anyone think that i go in and say i want it matched? my receipt just says $10 off coupon off the $45 dollar price.

http://oi49.tinypic.com/2r2nn92.jpg

Also, i now have both X12s and P11s, should i invest in the DSS add on? what's best price? (i only read the first and last two pages of this thread, sorry if already mentioned)

First DSS is pretty much only on Ebay ranging from $25-45 used, 2nd is on Amazon for $49.99 new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006W41X36/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&tag=cheapassgam08-20

Do a little research and see which one caters best to you...

I have an X12, and I really love it, it's definitely worth the money. It doesn't feel like a "low-end" headset at all, even though Turtle Beach has a lot more expensive headsets. I also love the fact that I can use it for 360 and PC.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']First DSS is pretty much only on Ebay ranging from $25-45 used, 2nd is on Amazon for $49.99 new

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006W41X36/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&tag=cheapassgam08-20

Do a little research and see which one caters best to you...[/QUOTE]

Just to set the record straight on the DSS2 - it is 5.1, not 4.1 as some reviews have attempted to claim. Having never used a DSS[1], I am very impressed with the DSS2 through my HD555s, though it was far less impressive on my TF10 earbuds. In sum, if you have a can with a good soundstage, I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the DSS2 - or 1, as that appears to be a solid product as well.

[quote name='kellte2']Just to set the record straight on the DSS2 - it is 5.1, not 4.1 as some reviews have attempted to claim. Having never used a DSS[1], I am very impressed with the DSS2 through my HD555s, though it was far less impressive on my TF10 earbuds. In sum, if you have a can with a good soundstage, I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the DSS2 - or 1, as that appears to be a solid product as well.[/QUOTE]

You just opened a can of worms. Damn.

[quote name='kellte2']Just to set the record straight on the DSS2 - it is 5.1, not 4.1 as some reviews have attempted to claim. Having never used a DSS[1], I am very impressed with the DSS2 through my HD555s, though it was far less impressive on my TF10 earbuds. In sum, if you have a can with a good soundstage, I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the DSS2 - or 1, as that appears to be a solid product as well.[/QUOTE]

Not to be contrary, but how exactly are you setting the record straight?
How do you know?

The manual apparently doesn't mention any x.1 surround formats.
It just says Dolby Surround, which by definition, is 4.1.

All the videos that I have seen from Turtle Beach themselves, show them manipulating 4 virtual speakers.

If you have heard something different, please share the link.
Thanks.

& That's why I went with the 1st DSS, kept finding info in favor of that 1 & no concrete evidence that the 2nd has 5.1...

Edit: I initially didn't get a Dolby Digital signal from the DSS, instead I got PLIIX which sounded off. Solved the problem by using the 360 audio adapter as opposed to using the optical out from my monitor. Just putting the info out there if anyone else encounters this issue.

[quote name='Zimmy']Not to be contrary, but how exactly are you setting the record straight?
How do you know?

The manual apparently doesn't mention any x.1 surround formats.
It just says Dolby Surround, which by definition, is 4.1.

All the videos that I have seen from Turtle Beach themselves, show them manipulating 4 virtual speakers.

If you have heard something different, please share the link.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

While this probably won't pass muster for some...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MV9t_L_yl8&feature=player_embedded

Posted by Turtle Beach. Title: "FEATURES - Ear Force® DSS2 - 5.1 Channel Dolby® Surround Sound Processor"

The center channel can't be adjusted using the speaker position button. You can probably guess why...it is the center channel.

I'll be happy to look through the manual, but I am pretty close to certain that 5.1 is mentioned several times.

AND the product page: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products.aspx

EDIT---------

Page 1 of the manual:

"The DSS2 processes the Dolby signal from the digital optical output on your Xbox 360, PS3, PC or other audio source and uses Dolby Digital technology to virtualize 5.1 channels of surround sound on stereo headphones."

Page 8 references Dolby 5.1 when using a PC / Mac Setup.

page 10:

"The DSS2 uses Dolby Digital surround sound processing technology...Dolby Digital processing recreates 5.1 channel surround sound so you can hear the sound all round you, as if you were listening to a 5.1 speaker system. [pictures head surrounded by 6 speakers - presumably a sub and center channel]"

That's all I got.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']& That's why I went with the 1st DSS, kept finding info in favor of that 1 & no concrete evidence that the 2nd has 5.1...

Edit: I initially didn't get a Dolby Digital signal from the DSS, instead I got PLIIX which sounded off. Solved the problem by using the 360 audio adapter as opposed to using the optical out from my monitor. Just putting the info out there if anyone else encounters this issue.[/QUOTE]

You buy the dss used?

[quote name='Linkgx1']You buy the dss used?[/QUOTE]

Yes,why ? I don't think anythings wrong with it, just my monitor won't let me adjust the optical out to Dolby...also when plugged to the 360 your headset stays on even if you turn the unit off, easily resolved by unplugging the USB. Seems to be a common issue for both...

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Yes,why ? I don't think anythings wrong with it, just my monitor won't let me adjust the optical out to Dolby...also when plugged to the 360 your headset stays on even if you turn the unit off, easily resolved by unplugging the USB. Seems to be a common issue for both...[/QUOTE]
I'm nervous about buying used....never gotten anything from Ebay before.

[quote name='Linkgx1']I'm nervous about buying used....never gotten anything from Ebay before.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, well eBay was the only way I could get 1. Just check your sellers feedback, the better the less likely you are to have issues. As far as price goes the buy it nows are bipolar some are reasonable most are absurd, just keep checking, the auctions have gone as low as $22. I was impatient and paid $40 shipped which is the average price, if your not in a rush you might save a few bucks.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Oh ok, well eBay was the only way I could get 1. Just check your sellers feedback, the better the less likely you are to have issues. As far as price goes the buy it nows are bipolar some are reasonable most are absurd, just keep checking, the auctions have gone as low as $22. I was impatient and paid $40 shipped which is the average price, if your not in a rush you might save a few bucks.[/QUOTE]
I'll try that. Been really craving 5.1! Red dead is gonna sound sweet

[quote name='Linkgx1']I'll try that. Been really craving 5.1! Red dead is gonna sound sweet[/QUOTE]

I didn't think to boot that 1 up, thanks for the idea. To be honest all my games feel "new" again. It's such an amazing upgrade, I feel like kicking myself for not getting this setup 2 yrs ago.

bread's done
Back