Best deal on a 1080P LCD 40" or bigger?

the3rdkey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Anyone have any good deals or know a TV that rox my sox?

Update:

I broke down and bought a projection:

24960_large.jpg

It was the best deal I could find on 1080P.

10000:1 contrast ratio
WEGA digital video proces.
0.61" sxrd panel 1920x1080
Replaceable 120w uhp lamp
2-hdmi 1080p input capable
Cinema black pro
Bbe/srs trusurround xt
Dolby digital technology

It twas $1000 big ones.

Shadowrun and Dirt look sweet in 50" and Tekken 5 on the PS3 looks like god in 1080P.

=)

[quote name='chrisnsally']42" Panasonic 1080p for $1499 from Frys...pretty nice deal:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5290327[/QUOTE]

Someone on GameTZ was telling me this TV fails to run at 1080i...he also said most TVs fail to run 1080i. He also said the new Sharp Aquos CAN run at 1080i...so I think that is going to be my choice. Now I just have to wait 3 weeks and hope someone offers it for less than $1540 in the mean time lol :)

[quote name='chrisnsally']Can you give some sort of source website or article? I've NEVER heard anything like that....[/QUOTE]

It was Priest_of_gaming that was saying this...I think he's on CAG to but didn't search. If I see him on GameTZ chat over the next week or so I'll ask him for sources :)

I bought that Envision 32" on Monday. Its my first HD so I'm satisfied. Planning to use it as a bedroom TV & PC moniter eventually. Will be in the market for a 50+" plasma on Black Friday or 2008. After reading enough professional reviews I decided to trust them that you'd need at least a 46-47" TV to really begin to notice a difference between 1080p & 720p (although video games it stands out a bit more, naturally).

I hope it's great. I think you've made the right choice. Also, ask yourself what 1080p sources you'll have in the future and align it to what size you're looking at and how much money you're willing to spend. Then do the " is it worth it " check. For most people, this is a negative.

If you have space for a DLP, then go for it. The only reason why it so cheaper, is because it is not flat and has a big back(Nowhere as near as a SDTV back).

ALso there is no lag in current HDTV, unless you use very old technology(Like VCR).

As long as you use HDTV signal/Cables there should not be a problem.

The reason for the lag is because it takes regular signal and upconvert it to HD. But you won't notice it in movies, only in games.

But unless you still playing your SNES, Original Nintendo, Sega genisis. There you have nothing to worry about.

But just look at the response rate(That determines if there lag).

DLP don't have any(The main thing I like about DLP is no Stuck/dead pixels).

Also WestingHouse is a good brand, it does not have to be sony for you to buy it.

I'm resurrecting this thread because my bro-in-law blew out his TV today. I am giving him my Philips 32'' 720p. I have a Sharp one that was on Amazon.com for a good price, but now it's back up to $1500. Anyone know of any TVs that would fit the bill of this topic?

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm resurrecting this thread because my bro-in-law blew out his TV today. I am giving him my Philips 32'' 720p. I have a Sharp one that was on Amazon.com for a good price, but now it's back up to $1500. Anyone know of any TVs that would fit the bill of this topic?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='zewone']http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...oc=01&srccode=cii_11138&cpncode=12-26440998-2

42" 1080p LCD - $1099[/QUOTE]

It's $1,079 now.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Anyone have any good deals or know a TV that rox my sox?

Update:

I broke down and bought a projection:

24960_large.jpg

It was the best deal I could find on 1080P.

10000:1 contrast ratio
WEGA digital video proces.
0.61" sxrd panel 1920x1080
Replaceable 120w uhp lamp
2-hdmi 1080p input capable
Cinema black pro
Bbe/srs trusurround xt
Dolby digital technology

It twas $1000 big ones.

Shadowrun and Dirt look sweet in 50" and Tekken 5 on the PS3 looks like god in 1080P.

=)[/quote]

What model is that?

[quote name='zewone']It's $1,079 now.[/QUOTE]

The price is excellent. The product reviews make me kind of scared.

I am only willing to spend something around $1200 minus cost of shipping, tax, etc. because I want to use my money prudently.

I need to find someone on here that can get a good "five-finger" discount :)

[quote name='Dro']Don't get a westinghouse.[/QUOTE]

What is the problem with the Westinghouse? I'm not really that interested in that brand, but what exactly did you read (to compare notes)?

I'm looking at a Sony XBR 40'' or higher, but they are pretty damn expensive. Also, I read that there are some issues regarding the color for some of their TVs. If I could get one for $1299 no tax and shipping I would bite :)

... Problem is I think a lot of people would bite on that one.

We need an Amazon.com TV blowout sale.

[quote name='Chacrana']I haven't had a chance to see the 71 series yet, but I want to sometime. Interesting that Samsung may win this round.[/QUOTE]

I really want to see the 81's in action, but my local Best Buy does not carry that model since they are not a magnolia store. I find this ridiculous since its only about $200-300 more, but the LED backlighting supposedly gives it a 500,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. I am very happy with the 71 though. It kicks the shit out of the XBR4 I returned for it.

[quote name='opportunity777']I'm looking at a Sony XBR 40'' or higher, but they are pretty damn expensive. Also, I read that there are some issues regarding the color for some of their TVs. If I could get one for $1299 no tax and shipping I would bite :)[/quote]
:rofl:wishful thinking. even the last gen sony xbr2 are 1700 for 40"

[quote name='Twilight Wolf']:rofl:wishful thinking. even the last gen sony xbr2 are 1700 for 40"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I am just messing around. There is no way to get one of those at that price. I think I may have to up my limit to around $1500 to get a decent TV.

[quote name='opportunity777']Yeah, I know. I am just messing around. There is no way to get one of those at that price. I think I may have to up my limit to around $1500 to get a decent TV.[/quote] not necessarily. sharp aquos are much more reasonably price in comparison. imo, if i'm going to buy a 40"-42" lcd (which i am about to do in the next two weeks before halo 3 releases) it must either be sony, samsung, or sharp - in that order. considering all sony xbrs have issues with mura/clouding, that just leaves the latter two. although i'll probably jump on a samsung, sharp aquos are much more reasonably priced at under $1500 for the previous gen:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7992684&type=product&id=1155069968903
if you can luck out and find an open one from best buy in-store, you'll save a hundred bucks or so more. or bb usually has the reward zone coupon for 12% off any regularly priced item which brings it down to $1231. but i think those coupons were only valid this past weekend. but they'll pop up sometime soon again

So I know I don't post here like ever (though I am a member) but I feel compelled to tell everyone that as long as you "break-in" a brand new plasma, burn-in is no longer an issue, and it lasts as long as LCD's.

So comparatively (especially since LCD's seem to be getting shiny screens and heavier weight now), plasma's win IMO at the moment. LCD still (even with the 81 sammy's with LED backlighting) hasn't caught up to the picture quality of plasma's (don't go by in stores completely, LCD's have brightness jacked up, trust me when you get a pioneer/panny plasma next to a sharp/sammy lcd at home, the plasma's will look much better and more realistic picture wise. Not to mention for the size, generally the prices for plasma's are cheaper.

I think the only two LCD tv's that come even close to the PQ of the top Panny and Pioneer plasma's are the new Sony XBR4 (40" and up, the 32" isn't the same model) and the new Sammy 81 series, and even those still aren't AS good as the new Pioneer Kuro line or the Panny 7XX 1080p line. And yes that's comparing apples to apples, since all those sets are all the high end sets of those manufactureres, and the plasma's still win out in terms of picture quality.

Also, DLP does lag, whoever said that's not an issue needs to stop lying. Sammy DLP's are notorious for that. Lastly most DLP 1080p tv's aren't true 1080p, they have a chip that doubles the resolution or something in a weird way, so it's not techinically 1080p. The only 1080p RPTV's that I can think of are Sony's SXRD series. Thats' it off the top of my head. If you go RPTV, go with one of those, the rest aren't worth it (picture quality wise, technical wise, and gaming wise).

suppaman - burn in is still a problem for both plasmas and lcds..look it up..it isnt permanent anymore but it can still happen....

i bought a Samsung HL-S5687W almost a year ago for $1999 (im sure they have come down a bit by now)...its 56" 1080p 10000:1 contrast and it blows my mind...i highly recommend this set to anyone

[quote name='Malik112099']suppaman - burn in is still a problem for both plasmas and lcds..look it up..it isnt permanent anymore but it can still happen....[/quote]

No it isn't. And if you dare post burn-in is an issue for LCD's at the AVSForums you'd better get yourself a new asshole because they'd rip your's apart.

LCD's can't get burn-in, which a few years ago was a great advantage they had over Plasma screens (though it at the time was also negated because LCD's lagged with the onscreen picture, and still do technically compared to plasma's though it's not to noticeable anymore if you have 120HZ refresh sets with 8ms or less response time).

Technically plasma could get burn-in, but all new tv's from Panny, Pioneer, Sammy, etc all have built-in precautions, such as pixel wobbling, which slightly shifts each pixel so the image itself never sits still on the screen (though to the human eye you can't notice it doing this). Most also have built-in remedies, such as the Sammy's, which will throw a white screen up to remove an IR (image retention).

And there's the word you are looking for image retention. LCD's can suffer from it, but it goes away on it's own without having to even do anything. Plasma's greatest susceptibility to image retention is in the first 100 hours of viewing (which is why if you check diehard places like the AVSForums they link and talk about the break-in DVD, which is available free in a download to easily break-in a plasma the best way possible).

As it stands right now, for flat panels, plasma's offer the best picture for the best price. The only issue with it is if you have a very brightly lit room or a lot of windows that could create reflections from glare off the glass screen (though new models have anti-glare coatings). Sadly even LCD's are shifting in this direction, at least Samsung's, as the 61/65F series, and the new 71/81 series all feature a shiny as shit screen (thus negating an LCD advantage).

RPTV's, such as DLP still have the best value for screen size, but are still bulky, will require eventually expensive bulb replacements (which may be a pain in the ass to find in a few years as the industry continues to shift to flat panels (LCD, Plasma, OLED, etc), are still known to be susceptible to gaming lag and picture wise (for the best RPTV's, which hands down is the Sony SXRD series of RPTV's) are basically the same as the top Plasma's from Pioneer.

If you want info on tv's, hands-on reviews, etc, just check the AVSForums or Cnet for TV reviews. They put things through their paces, and generally LCD's (minus the very top ones) don't fare to well still, and definitely don't fare as well as Plasma's for picture quality in flat panels.

One thing I think I might do is drop my $300-350 warranty (I forget the exact amount).

I bought it at Tweeter on BF last november for 2K plus tax.

With the prices today my warranty seems way overpriced and according to the rep I can drop it up until my mfg warranty ends.

Shit, my buddy in Oregon said they are selling the 46" XBR4 @ Fry's for $2600. That's a fuck ing deal IMO. Wish there was one here. hurrr.

bread's done
Back