Best podcasts?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Just wondering what podcasts all of you listen to? I am hoping to find a couple new podcasts to listen to while doing chores or playing a part in a game thats dull(grinding).

Personally I listen to the Drunkengamers and Rebel FM every week and listen the whole way through. I also love Ben and Dereks totally random cast on retroware, but they put an episode up so rarely. Outside that I have a handful that I listen to when they talk about games that interest me like giantbombcast, RPGcast, digital cowboys, Gameinformer podcast and The Carasoul Podcast. I used to listen to the destructoid podcast, but they began begging for fans/developers to send them games on a weekly basis and between that and Jim Sterlin's attention whore nature I had to stop.

Anyone listen to any others?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally my favorite is Podcast Beyond! If you are in to tech and other related subjects you could check out Leo Laporte's podcast network at twit.tv

It's not gaming, but smodcast has always been very hilarious. You should download and listen to all 140 episodes. Other than that I get the onion video podcast and listen to howard stern.

Goozcast, lost levels, gamers with jobs, Joystiq podcast is hit and miss, cagcast, Im going to have to check out the retroware and gameinformer podcasts

[quote name='kube00']Goozcast, lost levels, gamers with jobs, Joystiq podcast is hit and miss, cagcast, Im going to have to check out the retroware and gameinformer podcasts[/QUOTE]

Had not heard of goozcast or lost levels and will look in to them. Gamerswithjobs is one of my hit or miss podcasts that I will listen to based on what they are discussing that week. Sometimes I feel as though they look down their nose at other people though which bugs me. Joystiq I have listened to a hand full of times but its rare since they tend to only talk about a few games on the show and given that their taste in game is different from mine its not usually something I want to listen to. Its bad enough that EVERY podcast spends weeks talking about Assasins Creed, Call of Duty and Fable...I dont need a podcast that talks about nothing but those three games till the new hotness hits.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion *runs off to check goozcast and lost levels* Enjoy ben and dereks btw! My wife asks me all the time how I can listen to people talk about video games the way I do, but even she loves the drunkengamers and ben and derek.

Listen to a lot of other ones, but for games, Giant Bomb's Giant Bombcast is the absolute best. The CAGCast is one of the better ones too, and check out Irrational's two podcasts. You'd think they'd suck since they're coming from a developer-you'd think they'd be all corporate or whatever, but instead...well, it's Ken Levine for crying out loud.

His second podcast is him talking with creative people. He's had two developers on so far, two comic book writers (including Brian Bendis!) and the director Zach Snyder (sp?). Won't fill much time, but it's great.

Giant Bombcast bores me. I hate the ones with no structure, it's guys just ripping on each other until they finally discuss games. Jeff comes across really arrogant to me. Same vibes with Gamespot's Hotspot.

Of course, Cagcast is this way too, but at least they have some structure to it. The other one I like is Weekend Confirmed.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Giant Bombcast bores me. I hate the ones with no structure, it's guys just ripping on each other until they finally discuss games. Jeff comes across really arrogant to me. Same vibes with Gamespot's Hotspot.

Of course, Cagcast is this way too, but at least they have some structure to it. The other one I like is Weekend Confirmed.[/QUOTE]

I am with you. I do not understand why people find the bombcast to be so amazing. I like randomness at times and I like talking about stuff other then gaming too, but they tend to get hung up on the most random topics like where they at at or going to the Dr and worse they spend like 30 mins on it. Shows like Rebel FM besides being 10x funnier are much better about going off topic for 5-10 minutes and then moving on.

@rvdrock - I listen to Epic Battle Axe and Axe factor almost weekly too as well as invisible walls on MOST weeks.

I'll second the two Irrational podcasts. They are great if you are looking for intelligent conversations about game development and just games in general.

I'd also suggest Best.Podcast.EVER!, which just started up recently and is the successor to RetroforceGO!, which was pretty much the best podcast ever. They just released episode 3 today, so you can check them out while they are new.

[quote name='ihadFG']I'll second the two Irrational podcasts. They are great if you are looking for intelligent conversations about game development and just games in general.

I'd also suggest Best.Podcast.EVER!, which just started up recently and is the successor to RetroforceGO!, which was pretty much the best podcast ever. They just released episode 3 today, so you can check them out while they are new.[/QUOTE]

Ill look in to best podcast ever, I used to off and on listen to retro force go.

Edit - Got a link for it? They chose such a generic and stupid name its hard to find through google.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ill look in to best podcast ever, I used to off and on listen to retro force go.

Edit - Got a link for it? They chose such a generic and stupid name its hard to find through google.[/QUOTE]

Here's episode 1

Or here's 3 if you want the latest one

Not a gaming podcast but MBMBAM is an awesome advice cast by the three McElroy brothers. If you enjoy Justin on the Joystiq podcast you will love MBMBAM.

For gaming podcast I really love Talk Radar since its not just about recent gaming news and what games the host have been playing but about gaming culture as a whole.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']
For gaming podcast I really love Talk Radar since its not just about recent gaming news and what games the host have been playing but about gaming culture as a whole.[/QUOTE]

This is what I came to post . TalkRadar is the only cast I listen to, and every week it makes me laugh.

CAGcast is a joke.

My current favorite is the 8-4 podcast, which can be found over at 1up.com. They're based in Japan and the episodes thus far have run about 60/40 Japanese versus western-developed games discussion.

If you are into Japanese-developed games, then Warning! A Huge Podcast is good too, although the episodes are quite lengthy. The best part is their discussion of "mutters" - Japanese developers' twitter postings - pretty interesting stuff.

cagcast is a joke? GTFO!?

Anyone have any retro themed gaming podcasts they listen to? Lost level is okay. I miss 1up's retronuats.

Gamers with jobs can be hit and miss, you are right, this summer they had a few good episodes where they talked about hunting down old arcades in various states of working.

Yea i get sick of every podcast talking about the same games every week. The Goozcast does a pretty good job of touching news, games, and a decent roundtable discussion, and what's new with Goozex.com

[quote name='kube00']cagcast is a joke? GTFO!?

Anyone have any retro themed gaming podcasts they listen to? Lost level is okay. I miss 1up's retronuats.

Gamers with jobs can be hit and miss, you are right, this summer they had a few good episodes where they talked about hunting down old arcades in various states of working.

Yea i get sick of every podcast talking about the same games every week. The Goozcast does a pretty good job of touching news, games, and a decent roundtable discussion, and what's new with Goozex.com[/QUOTE]

I am with him, I was REALLY not a fan of the CAGcast. As for retro podcasts the only other one I know of is http://www.theretroleague.com/ but they are pretty bland/dry

Now that the two best are done (GFW Radio and Idle Thumbs), my top podcast is probably Weekend Confirmed followed closely by Gamers with Jobs (except when they talk about board games), and A Life Well Wasted when episodes actually come out.

Of course I can't recommend podcasts without also recommending This American Life, even if it's not a gaming podcast.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Listen to a lot of other ones, but for games, Giant Bomb's Giant Bombcast is the absolute best. The CAGCast is one of the better ones too, and check out Irrational's two podcasts. You'd think they'd suck since they're coming from a developer-you'd think they'd be all corporate or whatever, but instead...well, it's Ken Levine for crying out loud.

His second podcast is him talking with creative people. He's had two developers on so far, two comic book writers (including Brian Bendis!) and the director Zach Snyder (sp?). Won't fill much time, but it's great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I didn't realize Irrational had started another podcast and it looks like it's being done by Chris Remo from Idle Thumbs.

[quote name='msdmoney']Now that the two best are done (GFW Radio and Idle Thumbs), my top podcast is probably Weekend Confirmed followed closely by Gamers with Jobs (except when they talk about board games), and A Life Well Wasted when episodes actually come out.

Of course I can't recommend podcasts without also recommending This American Life, even if it's not a gaming podcast.

Thanks, I didn't realize Irrational had started another podcast and it looks like it's being done by Chris Remo from Idle Thumbs.[/QUOTE]

What is this American life?

[quote name='MSI Magus']What is this American life?[/QUOTE]

It's more of a general podcast, they tell different stories each week around a different theme, ranging from serious to funny, social to political, anything really. If you've ever listened to A Life Well Wasted for gaming it has the same feel as This American Life.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/about

Here are a few of my favorite to check out.

Act 1 of
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/354/mistakes-were-made

Act 2 of
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/414/right-to-remain-silent

The story from the book and the movie: The Informant
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/168/the-fix-is-in

For those other then myself that read this for recommendations and are interested in non gaming podcasts I am going to toss out Fareed Zakaria's GPS. Fareed is probably the most amazing and smartest man in politics today and his show takes a fair and sensible look at the issues of today.

*fires up Google Reader*
A Life Well Wasted
CAGcast (of course)
CAG Foreplay (if those jerks would ever do another one)
Giant Bombcast
Player One Podcast
RebelFM
The GameSpy Debriefings
The Geekbox
The Oddcast

I listen to even more than that because I have problems.

If I had to pick some dark horses out of those it'd be The GameSpy Debriefings and The Oddcast.

I've really cut back on my podcast. In no particular order Paranormal Podcast,The Geekbox,Reble FM,@1up(hiatus).

Unsubed to the CAGcast AKA three old men talk about games podcast.Bad jokes,poop and they're ill informed.

My number one favorite podcast is Mobcast. It's different from the other podcasts, every week they have five gamers and five (gaming) topics. It's very focused, with very little random chit chat. They have some very interesting discussions.

Besides that I listen to Rebel FM and Feedback. I used to listen to other gaming podcasts, but decided 3 was enough and the others just aren't as good.

My Gaming Podcast Line-Up(A.K.A. Excellent Shows Worth Listening To):

Orange Lounge Radio: The longest-running video game podcast on the net and the one that got me into listening to podcasts to begin with.

The IGN podcasts:
They have several to choose from and they are usually pretty entertaining.

GoNintendo.com Podcast
: This is a primarily Nintendo-focused show that has a group of friends talking and joking about news. Show ends with a "Name That Game" music segment.

CAGcast
: POOP!:lol:

Weekend Confirmed:
It's basically the new 1UP Yours. Garnett Lee hosts another discussion-driven quality show.

The Gamercast Network podcasts:
They have a variety of shows, but I mainly listen to the "Video Game Show". Short show, usually no more than a half-hour.

Sarcastic Gamer
: Similar to the "Video Game Show".

Tech-Gaming.com Podcast:
A good-length show(about an hour to an hour and a half) that features impressions on recent games, an interview(whenever possible), and a gaming trivia segment. Hopefully, I'll be joining the show sometime next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beyond and Gamescoop are my go to podcasts. I also enjoy girlfight, but not as much as the other two.

I used to listen to CAGcast every week until they started talking about toilets very week more than games, and I felt like they didn't care too much about it. I stopped laughing at their jokes too, especially after listening to beyond and hearing the chemistry between Greg, Ryan and Colin.

...BEYOND!

Sorry to bump this old thread
I also listen to YAGS and I guess I"ll give 1up's regular show a chance

Too bad IGN retro show hasn't done anything since 09....

For some reason, I stopped listening to gaming podcasts a few years ago, but I used to listen to:

Player One
The Fanboy's Lunchcast - Kind of raunchy, but they cover some good stuff
Gamers with Jobs - I agree, it's very hit or miss.

[quote name='aihuman']I've really cut back on my podcast. In no particular order Paranormal Podcast,The Geekbox,Reble FM,@1up(hiatus).

Unsubed to the CAGcast AKA three old men talk about games podcast.Bad jokes,poop and they're ill informed.[/QUOTE]

I really wish they had better discussion about games. The only one who seems informed is Shipwreck. But I do understand they all have families and probably can't be as involved as they might want to be.

[quote name='muffin1man']I really wish they had better discussion about games. The only one who seems informed is Shipwreck. But I do understand they all have families and probably can't be as involved as they might want to be.[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent. Sometimes I think they focus more on the outline than game discussions and are too anxious to jump to the next topic just to get through the outline, even if it's a topic where they have nothing to discuss for the week. This was especially noticeable with all the overly specific categories in the favorites show, stuff was broken down to such an extent that some of them didn't even have any games to mention or were confused what even fit into each category. The more interesting topics are often the non-gaming topics because those evolve more naturally and they allow for more back and forth.

But I don't think they need to be as "informed" as Shipwreck if you mean they all need an encyclopedic knowledge of games. There are enough podcasts with game reviewers that play every game released, getting the opinions of gamers that aren't informed on every last gaming fact is a relevant and fresh perspective.

I'm sorta new to Podcasts. I've only been listening for about 6 months now, but I listen to quite a few of them !

I really enjoy (in no particular order)
Giant Bombcast, CAGcast, Joystiq podcast, The Cruncheons, Player One Podcast, Weekend Confirmed,

As far as CAGcast goes, I honestly really like it. I'm relatively new to the site, but Cagcast is, I feel, right up there with the best of 'em.

Maybe I'm just not picky, I've yet to listen to a podcast and NOT become a regular listener. I used to LOVE talk radio until I realized that it only came in two flavors, Politics and Sexy morning zoo.

When I discovered podcasts it was like coming home again after years at sea. Finally, talk radio about ANY SUBJECT I WANT ? Yes, please ! And, hell, I'm always open to new recommendations. I'm downloading "Gamers with jobs" right now due to this thread !

Giant Bombcast,
Irrational Behavior,
A Life Well Wasted (don't know if we'll ever get any more episodes :( )

Giant Bombcast is kind of my general gaming podcast, I don't feel like I can handle another weekly general gaming podcast, as I already listen to about 4-5 other non-gaming podcasts and a lot of audiobooks, but i'd be open for other stuff that's more specific, or branches out a little bit.

I've really enjoyed a few episodes of gamers with jobs, but hated others, so it's tough to dedicate my time to. Cagcast i find a bit too much just like cheapy and wombat shooting the shit, not that isn't entertaining at times, but not for me.

Anyone have any suggestions for PC centric gaming podcasts?

1UP Active Time Babble is a must for RPG fans. 1UP in this thread is ok. Giant Bomb is hit or miss, but more hit than miss I think. I tried my ass off to love CAGcast but just couldn't get into it.

For non gaming, Engadget is usually pretty good. Craft Beer Talk is great. Stuff You Missed In History Class is great when the chicks doing it don't totally Lit nerd out.

I'm going to try the Irrational and Orange ones. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Giant Bombcast bores me. I hate the ones with no structure, it's guys just ripping on each other until they finally discuss games. Jeff comes across really arrogant to me. Same vibes with Gamespot's Hotspot.

Of course, Cagcast is this way too, but at least they have some structure to it. The other one I like is Weekend Confirmed.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you. Can't stand Jeff or when they just constantly goof on each other. Gamespot's homework assignment is so retarded as well.

Cagcast is still the best!

This is all the podcasts I listen to on regular basis. Ones with :applause: next to them are a must.

GameSpy

• The GameSpy Debriefings:applause:
IGN

• Podcast Beyond:applause:
  • Game Scoop!:applause:
  • Nintendo Voice Chat
  • Three Red Lights
Irrational Games

• Irrational Behavior :applause:
  • Irrational Interviews
Mega64

• Mega64 Podcast
1UP

• Games, Dammit!
  • Retronauts
  • The Oddcast
  • at1UP
  • Active Time Babble
G4TV

• Feedback
Inside Gaming

• Inside Gaming
Non Gaming Related/Others

• Stuff You Should Know
  • We're Alive - A "Zombie" Story of survival:applause:
  • PixilJunk Radio
  • Insomniac Games' Full Moon Show
  • Destructoid's Video Game Podcast

Might be a silly or pointless question , but in the cases where there is an option between them , do you all get the audio only podcast , or the video version of the podcast?

[quote name='StarKnightX']Might be a silly or pointless question , but in the cases where there is an option between them , do you all get the audio only podcast , or the video version of the podcast?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the people in the podcast for me. Almost always I prefer audio versions. I enjoy not always having a face to match the voice.

[quote name='Mr.Pibb']Final Score and Frame Rate are two very good ones that have not been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Gave final score a listen and its not bad. I added it to my back up list and it may move up over time.

bread's done
Back