Best RTS for a beginner

mombbsmj

CAG Newbie
I've really only played adventure and rpg games on the computer and I'd really like to try another genre. What is a good "starter" real time or turn based strategy game?

Why not go with the best. Starcraft...sure it is old but it really walks you through the mechanics of an RTS and ramps up rather nicely.

I've given up on RTS's completely. Now I'm not saying they suck, but more I suck, I guess I'm not intelligent enough to play them. Every one I've picked up has been way too complex. The only one I was ever good at was Starcraft 64.

[quote name='projecteightysix']I've given up on RTS's completely. Now I'm not saying they suck, but more I suck, I guess I'm not intelligent enough to play them. Every one I've picked up has been way too complex. The only one I was ever good at was Starcraft 64.[/quote]

With a large enough time committment I have confidence you could "get it", but it does take a lot of time to master the genre...

Give Warcraft 3 and the expansion Frozen Throne a try. I sucked when playing against others, but I loved the story mode and beat both.

I am not an RTS fan, basically for the same reasons other non-RTS fans listed, but can I just say: Darwinia. It's an RTS-lite if anything, but it's very accessible and a lot of fun. I'd say it's closer to Pikmin than I'd imagine Starcraft and its ilk being (though I haven't really played them). It's short, but pretty cheap.

For beginners, I would say Starcraft or Red Alert 2. Even though I didn't not play very much of Starcraft, both of these games should be simple enough to get someone started.

I have to disagree with everyone saying Age of Empires 2. It is an amazing RTS and very fun, but I find it to be one of the more difficult one's I've ever played. Starcraft and Warcraft can be won against the computer by building tons of guys, AoE has a much stronger rock/paper/scissors element that might be tough to learn on top of figuring out the mechanics for an RTS. My two cents anyway.

if your into modern warfare (tanks, bazookas, etc.), try the command and conquer series. plus, the cutscenes are entertaining to watch.

Age of Empires
Age of Empres II
Age of Empires III
Age of Mythology
Starcraft
Warcraft
Wacraft II
Wacraft III

Best strategy games made, right there.

Time to give some turned-based strategy games some love.

Oldies but goodies:

Civilization II and III
Heroes of Might and Magic III (still the best in the series in my opinion)
Master of Magic
XCOM: UFO Defense
Imperialism II (some of the best A.I. in any strategy game, challenging but not cheap)
Master of Orion II

More recent ones:

Galactic Civilizations II
Civilization IV
The Total War Franchise (Shogun, Medieval, Rome and Medieval II) - the best strategy games in my opinion. Turn-based on a strategic level with an amazing real-time tactical battle engine.

Starcraft is way overhyped and I wouldn't dare play it online due to cheating, but it is probably the one to try. It is simplistic, straightforward, and entertaining.

Age of Empires 1 and 2 are better games, but require an insane amount of micromanagement.

Rise of Nations is vastly superior to any of these games, and you should probably try it. If several wives I know can play, enjoy, and succeed at it, you should be able to also.

Red Alert 2 is a good beginner game. Rise of Nations and AoEIII are excellent once you get a little more comfortable with micro-managing.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll see if I can find a good deal on a copy of Starcraft and then move on to a more recent title. My favorite game of all time on the GBA is Fire Emblem. Any chance there is a game out there remotely like that?

Another vote for Starcraft. It's the most fun I've ever had with an RTS (bearing in mind I basically only play single player). It's got REALLY fun units and setting. Three sides that are actually different from each other. And a really great, fun story-all things that most RTS don't have at all.

Unfortunately most of the time when I try to play a new RTS, I find it too hard, and even more often I find myself thinking "boy, I'd have more fun just replaying Starcraft".

I played the original Age of Empires and enjoyed it quite a bit. Played the 360 demo for Battle for Middle Earth II, and thought it looked TERRIBLE, was hard, had incredibly generic gameplay and units, and just wasn't any fun at all. The PC version's probably a lot better though.

I STILL Haven't gotten to Command & Conquer 2 or Warcraft III, that's how far behind I am :D Warcraft III is probably really great too. Warcraft II is still solid (and also still looks fine), but the gameplay's worse than Starcraft, the story's WAAAAAAAAAAAY worse than Starcraft, and the settings a lot more generic IMO.

Starcraft
Age of Empires 2
Command and Conquer games - Red Alert, etc.

Oldie but a goodie - Dune 2000 (probably the easiest of the bunch)

One from left field - Homeworld :) excellent game, little bit of a learning curve

I'm sitting on a few others that I need to play some year. :razz:

I couldn't figure Homeworld out, and that's when I tried the demo back in the day. NOT a good game to start on.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I couldn't figure Homeworld out, and that's when I tried the demo back in the day. NOT a good game to start on.[/QUOTE]

Never said it would be a good game start with. :)

Just an idea for down the road if the OP really gets into RTS games.

[quote name='Wlogan31']I started with Age of Empires series - absolutely amazing if you ask me...[/QUOTE]

I dont really have the patients for rts games anymore, but I always buy AoE when they put out a new version. Only regret I have is selling my AoE3.

I can't believe no one mentioned Total Annihilation, or Alpha Centauri. TA is very easy to learn and is cheap and easy on computer resources

[quote name='doho7744']I can't believe no one mentioned Total Annihilation, or Alpha Centauri. TA is very easy to learn and is cheap and easy on computer resources[/QUOTE]

#-o Your right on TA.

I'll have to get my copy back from my cousin to play again. Before Supreme Commander comes out anyway. :)

the original command & conquer...its what got me hooked on rts in the first place. Starcraft is good but command & conquer is best for rts noobs IMO

[quote name='doho7744']I can't believe no one mentioned Total Annihilation, or Alpha Centauri. TA is very easy to learn and is cheap and easy on computer resources[/QUOTE]

TA was a great game, do they still have all those free units available for DL? If so I might go dig my copy up and play it again.
Does anyone remember the medieval version of TA by the same company? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I'm pretty sure it used the same engine and was very similar but had swords and knights and stuff in it instead.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']TA was a great game, do they still have all those free units available for DL? If so I might go dig my copy up and play it again.
Does anyone remember the medieval version of TA by the same company? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. I'm pretty sure it used the same engine and was very similar but had swords and knights and stuff in it instead.[/QUOTE]

It was just called TA: Kingdoms.

I'd say Warcraft III and it's expansion. Since you've already played RPG games, you'll probably like the whole hero system in WC3. Also, the story is just great for both games, one of the few RTS games that I actually paid attention to the story.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']It was just called TA: Kingdoms.[/QUOTE]

I always meant to get it but kept putting it off and eventually forgot about it.

[quote name='mombbsmj']Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll see if I can find a good deal on a copy of Starcraft and then move on to a more recent title. My favorite game of all time on the GBA is Fire Emblem. Any chance there is a game out there remotely like that?[/QUOTE]

you can get it at cd universe with google checkout for $13 shipped
http://www.cduniverse.com/checkout/cart.asp?style=games&pid=7034084&cart=474289449

If you like Fire emblem, you probably like turn based stategy rpg.You can try Super Robot Taisen 1 and 2,ogre tactics,shining force resurraction,final fantasy tactics advance or yddsil union.

Real Time Strategy is pretty to master,you have to practice frequently like timing,memorizing stategies,memorizing maps,hot keying and unit damage according to latest patch in order to become good .I think one of most easiest and funnest rts,Warcraft 3.You can generate a hero for your party,not to mention game comes with lots of easy custom tools if your planing to create your own warcraft rpg or you can be lazy and download other people's maps

I think Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War is pretty n00b friendly, as well as StarCraft and Command and Conquer series. Total Annihilation is also easy to learn. Rise of Nation and WarCraft III are also good if you like more than just pumping out units as both games have a little bit more depth in them. I wouldn't recommend Age of Empire/Mythology series as the micromanagement is too difficult to learn for a beginner.

I never played Company of Heroes, but I read that game has a simple learning curve as well, but requires a better PC to run.

I didn't think the original Age of Empires was too bad, but I was never able to beat it (and Starcraft is sooo much better).

Thank you everyone. I just joined Gametap for a month and they have several of the games listed so I can try them out before buying.

I would have to say Dawn of War......... Its really easy to play and you don't have to even worry about air units. Its probably my second favorite, right after company of heroes. Rise of legends is also pretty easy to play.

bread's done
Back