Best Video Game Controller Ever

looks more like a worst of list so far.

best ever is the snes controller. no need for moe than 4 face buttons and 2 should. the perfect controller.

NES dogbones are #2

Best Controller Ever - Playstation 2 (Dual Shock 2) - Great looking, excellent button placement and surprisingly very durable and solid.

Honorable mention - GameCube - Probably the most comfortable controller I've used, but sometimes didn't work as good with third party games. Aren't the most durable things either.

Xbox Controller S is the most solid/durable controller

Worst Controller Ever - Original Xbox "Duke" controller - Damn, what the hell were they thinking on this one?

Other not so great controllers:
Dreamcast - VMU functionality was very innovative and cool, but damn those controllers were ugly.
N64 - Control stick became loose way too easily, and also another ugly and uncomfortable controller.

NES pads hurt hands but they are classic :)

[quote name='space_rover']Dreamcast

Playstation1

Controller S[/quote]

BEST CONTROL STICK: Gamecube
BEST LAYOUT: Dual Shock 2
BEST RUMBLE: Xbox original
BEST TRIGGERS: Xbox (Both original and S)
BEST BUTTONS: Super NES
BEST MEMORY CARD: DC VMU
BEST D-PAD: Sega Saturn 6-button pad

OVERALL: Sega Saturn 6-button. Comfy, good layout, and a great d-pad. The shoulders leave a bit to be desired, but you can't have it all...

Racing games: Dreamcast. No contest. Smooth triggers with lots of travel make throttle and gas a dream.
Action/adventure: Gamecube. With buttons that are easy to find and the C stick for looking around, it works well.
Most versitile: Playstation. Buttons everywhere fingers can reach. If they'd just ditch the symbols (I still have to look down)
Worst 1st party. Original XBox. "Like holding a pair of grapefruits and pressing on dried peas." --me during the E3 debut. I limited this one to 1st party because there was a number of third party controllers that just didn't work as controllers.
Fighting game: Genesis 6 button. Classic layout. (sticks excluded from this one)

HotRod/X-Arcade Best Arcade stick, good weight, not a cheap ball stick

Dual Shock 2, need the analog!

Snes controllers are weak in the trigger department, break too easy

Nes Max. I used to school my friend in Pro Wrestling with this baby. He got so mad!

nes_max.jpg

"Power in the palm of your hands" Hmm.

N64 controller... I don't think any controller can really top the layout for use on an FPS...

[quote name='osh kosh biotch']
"Power in the palm of your hands" Hmm.[/quote]

I gotta different type of power in the palm of my..... oh nevermind, I decided I don't want to travel down THAT road.

My favorite of all time is the Saturn 8-Button (The original controller). Everything since then has been an abombination to 6-button capcom figters.

As far as my favorite specialty controllers, the DC Fishing pole, the Hanaho Hotrod Arcade stick, and the Logitech Momo racing wheel all should get mention.

[quote name='Mr. Rhee']
3) XBOX Silent Scope Rifle/Shotgun light-gun controller
http://gameinfowire.com/news.asp?nid=3760
[/quote]

Interesting. Hopefully, the "motion-activated scope" will be like the arcade scope with the small LCD screen, but I doubt it.

As for my vote:

BEST
GCN Wavebird - The large "A" action button, and "B" cancel button just makes so much sense. The best L/R triggers ever, and overall good analog sticks. My only complaints No rumble, and the D-pad is too small and out of place.

WORST
Intellivision I - Sure there was a revolutionary 16 directional action-disc, and more buttons than Carter has pills, but my God did anyone in Mattel R&D actually hold one for more than 10 minutes? And having the controller hard-wired to the system just made no sense at all. Not to mention cords that were all of 20" long. That's eventually why I had to junk my first Intellivision was over broken controllers. It wasn't all bad, the overlays were quite ingenious.

How come nobody is giving the Power Glove some love. That brings back some memories.

Anyway, the gamecube controller has games made just for it's design and is great, but is difficult for others, like fighting games.
PS2 is kinda plain but it works for it.
X-box is so bad that it made me dislike Halo.

But I gotta give the best nod to SNES, as it was comfortable, lightweight, and played great for games of all genres.

The SNES controller is still the best. Perfect in every way. The only thing that could possibly be better was the Capcom Soldier pad, also for the SNES. I use mine al the time. The NES controller is great also, as is the NES Advantage (used to pilot the stature of liberty in Ghostbusters II).

the new controller for onimusha 3, which is a three foot long katana sword. however it will be close to $175

The best classic controlle rhas to be the NES MAX. Liek someone else said before, I whipped up an ass omellette on Pro Wrestling with that sucker.

And nowadays I'm going to vote for the Gamecube Wavebird as the best: it's pretty, comfy, wireless and has hella long battery life.

[quote name='DenisDFat']looks more like a worst of list so far.

best ever is the snes controller. no need for moe than 4 face buttons and 2 should. the perfect controller.

NES dogbones are #2[/quote]

DC cont was revolutionary. After using one you were intro duce into a whole new realm of 3d gaming. If only it had the 2nd thumbstick though. Why do you think that MS used the design, for looks? No cause it works. I like PS1 controllers cause when they first came out it seemed very right. PS1 cont are way better than PS2

[quote name='juicedup1']Best Dreamcast, I like the big Xbox controller,I can't use the smaller one, Tries it,took it back and stayed with the big ones.[/quote]

Big XBOX pad is awesome. The only thing though is the weird button placement. I was happy when S came out but I much prefered the size of the big controller. Big XBOX controller with controller S button layout would be sweet :idea:

[quote name='DMFunk']N64 controller... I don't think any controller can really top the layout for use on an FPS...[/quote]

Goldeneye wouldnt have been the same with out it

I always like when people try to defend the big controller (the Duke) for the Xbox by saying it's because they have big hands like a real man not little girl hands like those wussies that use the S controller. Go into the Xbox.com forum and look at any of the many threads on this topic and it always comes up.

[quote name='space_rover'][quote name='DenisDFat']looks more like a worst of list so far.

NES dogbones are #2[/quote]

DC cont was revolutionary. After using one you were intro duce into a whole new realm of 3d gaming. If only it had the 2nd thumbstick though. Why do you think that MS used the design, for looks? No cause it works. I like PS1 controllers cause when they first came out it seemed very right. PS1 cont are way better than PS2[/quote]

MS used the DC design because they can't think of anything themselves, and since Sega wasn't going to hang around the hardware market, they could easily get away with it. ps1 & 2 have that awful split d-pad and too many shoulders.

[quote name='peteyrose']Sega Saturn NiGHTS pad

Dreamcast / Controller S (tie)[/quote]

I agree the Sega Saturn NiGHTS 3D Control Pad, was the greatest controller for it's time...

Here are my top 3 controllers...

1. Microsoft Xbox Controller S
2. Sega Dreamcast Controller
3. Sega Saturn NiGHTS 3D Control Pad

Wow, I can't beleive so many people like the Dreamcast controller. Those shoulder triggers are terrible for everything but racing, and the D-pad's shape is just pointless. I love my DC, but it makes my hands hurt.

Saturn and SNES controllers are still the best, IMO. Oh well. I'm sure Sony and MS's next controllers will be just copy the current designs, and Nintendo will make another baffling UFO.

Sega Saturn controller, the second incarnation not the original American controller. I also can't wait for the Gamecube controller that is in the shape of the Snes controller so you can play gameboy advance games better.

[quote name='poormojo']The best classic controlle rhas to be the NES MAX. Liek someone else said before, I whipped up an ass omellette on Pro Wrestling with that sucker.[/quote]

Hysterical!

[quote name='poormojo']And nowadays I'm going to vote for the Gamecube Wavebird as the best: it's pretty, comfy, wireless and has hella long battery life.[/quote]

I agree 100%. Nothing like playing in bed without the interference of a wire. I can set the controller down, roll over and get some, and then pick up right were I left off! :twisted:

my top 3 are as goes:
#1 is definetly the wavebird, the most comfortable controller i have ever used and it can go anywhere and no more tripping on those damn cords!
#2 is the dual shock for the PS2, it has the best layout and is really easy to get used to and control
#3 the SNES controller, only has 4 buttons and 2 shoulders, one of the greatest ideas, no need for more than 4 buttons!!

Honorable- The Stealth controller for the PS2, it is a larger controller and has 2 shoulder buttons placed like on the xbox and 2 normal ones as well, fits perfectly into your hands. the best feature is that it has an adaptor for the audio video plug in so that you can plug in your headphones to the base of the controller and listen to the sound through your heapdphones! the only problem is that the cord easily comes out of place and sometimes you need to have a support hold it up. cost only $20-$25

#2 Air Flo for any system, i always play my ncaa or madden game for hours on hours so my hand usually get sweaty. this controller has mini fans on the inside and has vents where you hold it. you can turn it on and off and has 2 settings, high and low. it feels kind of weird holding the vents where the air comes out, but you get used to it after a while.

another great controller for any system!

#3 the bigger xbox controller. most controllers are too small for my hands, but this one is big and is very durable. it has great button placement, but the white and black buttons are harder to hit when necessary. i like this one better then the smaller one for the xbox

thanks,

hM

dual shock 1, 2 didnt really improve anything, 1 feature was added and its a feature that is rarley ever even used

that rpg controller for ps1 was pretty sweet too, not that it was all that practical but it was easier to get a drink and play at the same time ^^

SNES controller is the best controller of all times and they set the standard for all other controllers to come. Nintendo 64 is the most innovative not the first analog but it felt like it. Most comfortable controller is the genesis 6 button pad( was like tailored to the hands) great controller. best stardard of a controller today ps dual shock. and best controller out on the market NOW nintendo wavebird

honorable features
1. force feedback
2. VMU WOW
3. wireless

You're all way off! It's all about the Samba De Amigo maracca's baby!!! Best controller of any kind ever made!!

Tekkie.....er.....Steel Battalion's beast of a controller does warrant an honorable mention here though.

Cheapy, for the love of Jebus, I can't figure out those controllers. I hope at least one of them is from your collection.

Though I think I used the 2nd one like 15 years ago on my cousin's Atari to play Astroids. I was 8 years old, cut me some slack for not remembering exactly.

bread's done
Back