BestBuy Pre-order FAIL on StarCraft II

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
Did the whole pre-order thing in May 2009 for access to the beta, which took friggin FOREVER to get to me, but still it was worth it to see how it looked a little early. Also, the $20 reward zone certificate was about to expire, so I figured why not.

Well, come yesterday I figured on checking BestBuy's website to see how things are moving along and when I can expect the game delivered and suprise surprise, my order number comes up with nothing on their website.

Called them to see WTF, and the phone rep says that due to a pricing mistake on their website on July 4 (it was briefly listed for $5 if anyone recalls that), BestBuy cancelled ALL existing pre-orders -- at least 10,000 according to the phone rep. She probably should not have told me that, but I was very calm about the whole thing so she might have overshared. She also sent my reward zone certificate back to my account, which was cool.

Ladies and gentlemen, that's something on the order of a HALF MILLION DOLLARS IN REVENUE that BestBuy flushed down the toilet, because some winner on their website team messed up and forgot to hit the zero button one extra time.

Again, normally I don't give money to Gamestop but after this episode I walked over there and handed them my cash for a non-pre-ordered copy which they happily sold me while giving a tiny bit of lip service to the whole "I really shouldn't be doing this since you didn't pre-order and I will get in trouble if it's not restocked in time" bit. lawlz

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting that they canceled all orders; I heard it was just for that days worth. Did they just not notify you at all? It really comes as no surprise to me that BB has awful error-trapping.

That's weird. I received a pre-order copy of the Collector's Edition from Bestbuy.com without a hitch. Maybe the CSR didn't know what she was talking about?

It's possible the CSR didn't know what she was talking about, hell it's even PROBABLE she didn't, but my pre-order was placed in May of 2009 anticipating a November 2009 release, so I have no idea how it got cancelled otherwise. GuardianE, was your pre-order placed after July 4th?

No I recall several months ago a BB store on the east coast miss-typed an add for a brand new 40" hdtv for like $200 bucks. They had just ungodly amounts of people show up the following mornings opening to realize they weren't getting their amazingly awesome tv for $200. I work for a gamestop and we aren't rude to people like you are saying. At least our store isnt! Bestbuy takes trade ins now also. Which is funny. Gamestop is owned by the guys who own Barnes & Noble. So we're just as big as bestbuy.

bread's done
Back