Big news everyone: Cheat Update and more available Monday!

I want everyone to read this, as it is more than just a cheat update. They're also including some weapon-balance changes, like more powerful melee attacks and grenades. Important stuff to know.

[quote name='Ledhed']I want everyone to read this, as it is more than just a cheat update. They're also including some weapon-balance changes, like more powerful melee attacks and grenades. Important stuff to know.[/QUOTE]

The important thing is the flag grabs through walls won't work, ditto for the flag bounces.

Also, the "red wins in the case of a tie" being gone means that defense isn't as desireable position to be in anymore.

The weapon changes will be a big adjustment, I think.

I dont know if this is really sticky worthy. I mean its only until monday.

Anyways, youll seeing me jumping in your face and knockin your ass on the ground ALL the time now

Yeah, the first good news to come out of bungie in a while. A lot of these changes reflect how Halo 2 should have launched...Unfortunately, I see no information regarding the stupid plasma pistol...Meaning we are still stuck with the "slow, super-homing green blob."

[quote name='greendj27']Hell yeah, I just read this. I'm excited. PLus it will be fun to get the ranks back up.[/QUOTE]

Which ruins any implementation of the CrazyAssGuys clan and the pseudo-gamertags whom belong to the group.

[quote name='rywateska']Which ruins any implementation of the CrazyAssGuys clan and the pseudo-gamertags whom belong to the group.[/QUOTE]

thats honestly the worst part of this. with the ranks being reset, the Truely Elite players, will be playing with the much more casual people, for the first few weeks or so. so shouldn't we just altogether stop playing matchmade stuff now and just do custom all the time or what? i don't want to go into a 1 vs 1 game and have the other team really be a team of 20s or above, wheres the fun in that? the playing field is not level any more. more like those that are "gods" at halo 2 will have a chance to level the playing field.

just my 2 cents, but i think the reset of rankings sucks more than anything, and this is coming from a guy thats highest level is a 12.

[quote name='craven_fiend']thats honestly the worst part of this. with the ranks being reset, the Truely Elite players, will be playing with the much more casual people, for the first few weeks or so. so shouldn't we just altogether stop playing matchmade stuff now and just do custom all the time or what? i don't want to go into a 1 vs 1 game and have the other team really be a team of 20s or above, wheres the fun in that? the playing field is not level any more. more like those that are "gods" at halo 2 will have a chance to level the playing field.

just my 2 cents, but i think the reset of rankings sucks more than anything, and this is coming from a guy thats highest level is a 12.[/QUOTE]

If you kept them the same, the hard working players will bitch at the cheaters having higher ranks. If you wipe them all clean, everyone starts over, without the advantage the cheaters had.

In that case, the second option is the better of the two for longer-term enjoyment of the game. I vote for that option.

[quote name='craven_fiend']thats honestly the worst part of this. with the ranks being reset, the Truely Elite players, will be playing with the much more casual people, for the first few weeks or so. so shouldn't we just altogether stop playing matchmade stuff now and just do custom all the time or what? i don't want to go into a 1 vs 1 game and have the other team really be a team of 20s or above, wheres the fun in that? the playing field is not level any more. more like those that are "gods" at halo 2 will have a chance to level the playing field.

just my 2 cents, but i think the reset of rankings sucks more than anything, and this is coming from a guy thats highest level is a 12.[/QUOTE]
The new ranking system allows for people to rank up faster than before...either way I doubt that it will take more than a day until you begin to get matched with equal players.

Too bad they didn't mention when the new maps come out.

[quote name='shrike4242']If you kept them the same, the hard working players will bitch at the cheaters having higher ranks. If you wipe them all clean, everyone starts over, without the advantage the cheaters had.

In that case, the second option is the better of the two for longer-term enjoyment of the game. I vote for that option.[/QUOTE]

my biggest thing is, that for the 1st few weeks, non of the games are truly going to be level. i think that most of the games will be lopsided, due to the fact that the truly good players, not cheaters, will be in those games against the not so good players.

i can see it from the other point of view as well. so i guess its adapt to the change or be left out to dry. i just don't want my 1st games with the AU to be my team getting mopped up by guys that are really level 20 and beyond before the AU.

Craven, we've been playing uneven games since release. This way, we'll only be dealing with that for the first two weeks at the most. This really is the best way.

the playing field should level out pretty quick, since the truly hardcore could conceivably get their levels back up within a weekend if enough games are played and won...especially if they speed up the leveling process.

[quote name='craven_fiend']my biggest thing is, that for the 1st few weeks, non of the games are truly going to be level. i think that most of the games will be lopsided, due to the fact that the truly good players, not cheaters, will be in those games against the not so good players.

i can see it from the other point of view as well. so i guess its adapt to the change or be left out to dry. i just don't want my 1st games with the AU to be my team getting mopped up by guys that are really level 20 and beyond before the AU.[/QUOTE]

Oh well. Nature loves a mismatch. If we get mopped, we get mopped. It happens, you learn from it, you go on.

i love this news, great stuff, cant wait, i might need to spend some time afterschool on monday on this, hey craven hows bout an orientation practice or something, that would be cool, just a suggestion of course, i cant wait man this is killer :) :) :) ;) ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']Oh well. Nature loves a mismatch. If we get mopped, we get mopped. It happens, you learn from it, you go on.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind the there will be times when you are on the team that is overyl dominant too. I think it will all straighten itself out after a week or so. Th top players are going to level up pretty fast.

I know that it will mean that level 10's will be facing true level 20's earlier on, but most likely won't be the case. Since the minute they reset stats at midnight of whenever, people will be playing like mad crazy to be in the top 1000 first since after all, this DOES count now.

[quote name='Daywalker']I know that it will mean that level 10's will be facing true level 20's earlier on, but most likely won't be the case. Since the minute they reset stats at midnight of whenever, people will be playing like mad crazy to be in the top 1000 first since after all, this DOES count now.[/QUOTE]

i will definetly be playing then, its going to be fun as hell, wont be much of a matchmaking wait either, i just hope to assimilate to the minor changes quilkly, we should practice a non - bouncing, CTF on colossus prior, to that, along with some practice matches with different handicaps, to get rid of a reliance on the current timing with guns and stuff, i look forward to playing some sick level 20s as well as some shitty former level 30's, fun in the sun, see you on the fair battlefield

[quote name='greendj27']Keep in mind the there will be times when you are on the team that is overyl dominant too. I think it will all straighten itself out after a week or so. Th top players are going to level up pretty fast.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping they will and it'll take a week, worst case two, to smooth out.

[quote name='gaelan']anybody know if the rank boosting thing will be fixed also?[/QUOTE]

That's what the cheating fix is. When players "boost," it is meant that they force a win by cheating or driving the other team to quit. Less cheating means less "boosting."

EDIT: Brain fart, I don't know what I was thinking here. Perhaps it was that I wrote this mere minutes after waking up from a 12-hour slumber.

[quote name='Ledhed']That's what the cheating fix is. When players "boost," it is meant that they force a win by cheating or driving the other team to quit. Less cheating means less "boosting."[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, don't the other players drop out of the game to give the surviving person all the glory and points of the win?

i thought it was everyone quits and it doesn't count against you which means you only stay in the game that you are winning.

[quote name='zewone']I can't fucking wait. More powerful grenades and melee, no cheating and new maps! I love Bungie again next week.[/QUOTE]

just to clarify, the new maps are still a couple of weeks away, this update is just for everything else. anyhow, i'll hella excited, and expect some way extended practice sessions next week to get used to the weapon balance changes.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']i will definetly be playing then, its going to be fun as hell, wont be much of a matchmaking wait either, i just hope to assimilate to the minor changes quilkly, we should practice a bouncing, CTF on colossus prior, to that, along with some practice matches with different handicaps, to get rid of a reliance on the current timing with guns and stuff, i look forward to playing some sick level 20s as well as some shitty former level 30's, fun in the sun, see you on the fair battlefield[/QUOTE]

There will be no more bouncing on Colossus after monday. Thats one of the things they will be fixing. Should make it a lot more interesting on that map!

Overall, very good news out of Bungie. I'm happy about the cheat-fixing, melee and the granades. Not too thrilled about my dual combo of magnum/SMG and plasma pistol/SMG being weaker. I'm going to miss the sword flying, too. ::sniff::

I'm happy about the rank reset, though it won't be coming for a few weeks. Keep in mind the article mentions worse lag for the first couple of days after the auto update, too.

[quote name='greendj27']There will be no more bouncing on Colossus after monday. Thats one of the things they will be fixing. Should make it a lot more interesting on that map![/QUOTE]

i never could make the bounce too good anyways...i wish the update would erase that map personally.

I like the fact that a jump + melee attack could result in an instant kill. This levels the playing field ALOT. Especially if someone has the sword, they can't miss now or else... ;)

[quote name='greendj27']There will be no more bouncing on Colossus after monday. Thats one of the things they will be fixing. Should make it a lot more interesting on that map![/QUOTE]

damnit i knew i forgot to put in a word, i meant non-bouncing

I still think that the magnum should have a scope like the battle rifle, and I don't understand the lowering of its power, personally I think the damn plasma pistol should be erased.

[quote name='bungie']Cheats

We've addressed the modem standby cheat. Can't say how, but we've implemented several fixes to help alleviate this problem. We can't stop people from pressing suspend modem, but we can make it less worthwhile to them. We've also added a number of ways to make it more difficult for players to abuse the fact that they are the host of a game.[/QUOTE]

can someone translate exactly? it doesn't sound like it will stop compeletely. maybe they made it to where the standbyers are unable to move while connection is being re established.

also what is secondary standby? it was mentioned in the article.

i found no mention of the dummy glitch....well it did have a section on a list of PARTIAL LIST OF GLITCHES, so maybe the dummy glitch is in the rest of the list.

[quote name='gaelan']can someone translate exactly? it doesn't sound like it will stop compeletely. maybe they made it to where the standbyers are unable to move while connection is being re established.

also what is secondary standby? it was mentioned in the article.

i found no mention of the dummy glitch....well it did have a section on a list of PARTIAL LIST OF GLITCHES, so maybe the dummy glitch is in the rest of the list.[/QUOTE]

The sad they were getting rid of the dummy cheat. I think what they meant with standby is that they go to blue screen as well, but I'm not sure since I have never tried using standby. ;)

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']just to clarify, the new maps are still a couple of weeks away, this update is just for everything else.[/QUOTE]

mr rocksolid is wrong

[quote name='gaelan']i found no mention of the dummy glitch....well it did have a section on a list of PARTIAL LIST OF GLITCHES, so maybe the dummy glitch is in the rest of the list.[/QUOTE]
The dummy glitch involving the vehicles was supposedly fixed. I've heard there are other ways to do it which may or may not have been fixed.

bread's done
Back