Bioshock for $19.99

It looks like Amazon is price matching best buy. Amazon has Bioshock for $19.99 with no tax and free shipping for prime members.

iconpcwin.gif
Bioshock for $19.99

[quote name='Wolfpup']Remember, requires "activation" so it's a rental, not a real purchase.[/quote]

:?: Huh?
It's the retail box version of the game, what are you talking about?
And, anyways, don't forget that it's even cheaper @ $14.99 in the Circuit City ad this week.

Penny Arcade stated it best:

"The one topic upon which there is any consensus at all is that SecuROM copy protection barely deters piracy, and makes life more difficult specifically for paying customers. That was true even of the run-of-the-mill version we'd been exposed to before, where depending on your specific hardware configuration games might run poorly, assuming they ran at all. It's the sort of thing that makes a person invest their leisure time with other machines, or - and this is awesome -
pirate games they have themselves purchased by circumventing the check with a cracked exe. This is something I do almost one hundred percent of the time, because I can't be sure I'm receiving the full value of my hardware if I don't."

Ignore the anti-secureRom people. They are morons. I've installed the game on three machines (with very different configurations on each machine), and have had no trouble at all. It's the most overblown nonsense I've ever heard. There is no spyware and there are no processes that run on your computer other than when the game calls home to activate itself. They upped the number of activations to 10 per game before you need to call a 1-800 number to activate. Honestly, if you don't buy Bioshock because of the anti-piracy software, you are doing yourself a great disservice. It is the best FPS of all time.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Ignore the anti-secureRom people. They are morons. I've installed the game on three machines (with very different configurations on each machine), and have had no trouble at all. It's the most overblown nonsense I've ever heard. There is no spyware and there are no processes that run on your computer other than when the game calls home to activate itself. They upped the number of activations to 10 per game before you need to call a 1-800 number to activate. Honestly, if you don't buy Bioshock because of the anti-piracy software, you are doing yourself a great disservice. It is the best FPS of all time.[/quote]

Get in touch with me in 10 years and let me know how well you're getting Bioshock to work. I know a lot of gamers only live in the moment and don't really play old games, but I do all the time. It's hard enough getting things to run without stuff like this.

[quote name='Trendy2']:?: Huh?
It's the retail box version of the game, what are you talking about?
And, anyways, don't forget that it's even cheaper @ $14.99 in the Circuit City ad this week.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Picked it up at Circuit City :bouncy:

[quote name='Capitalizt']Ignore the anti-secureRom people. They are morons. I've installed the game on three machines (with very different configurations on each machine), and have had no trouble at all. It's the most overblown nonsense I've ever heard. There is no spyware and there are no processes that run on your computer other than when the game calls home to activate itself. They upped the number of activations to 10 per game before you need to call a 1-800 number to activate. Honestly, if you don't buy Bioshock because of the anti-piracy software, you are doing yourself a great disservice. It is the best FPS of all time.[/QUOTE]

You probably weren't there the first day of game release. $50 and you can't play the game.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Ignore the anti-secureRom people. They are morons. I've installed the game on three machines (with very different configurations on each machine), and have had no trouble at all. It's the most overblown nonsense I've ever heard. There is no spyware and there are no processes that run on your computer other than when the game calls home to activate itself. They upped the number of activations to 10 per game before you need to call a 1-800 number to activate. Honestly, if you don't buy Bioshock because of the anti-piracy software, you are doing yourself a great disservice. It is the best FPS of all time.[/quote]

It's a really good game for the first half, more like.

Anyway, as already stated, what happens when the support structure isn't there anymore? Then 10 activations and that's it. What happens when the activation service is unavailable? The entire idea that I need to worry about how many times I've installed a game is complete BS.

Sorry, copy protection that does nothing to deter piracy and does plenty to cause a negative experience for paying customers is not good for the industry, nor is it good for anyone. If I have to get a pirated copy anyway to play the game I bought, why not cut out the middleman?

(this is anti-draconian-copy-protection, not pro-piracy, I do not advocate piracy)

[quote name='appleyum']You probably weren't there the first day of game release. $50 and you can't play the game.[/quote]

I was. Installed and played fine. It wasn't like HL2. THAT was a nightmare.

lol the crack for this game has been available for months. IF the activation servers go down in 10 years, just find a crack online, apply it to your installation, and you should be fine.

$20 is an amazing price for this game. I bought it when it came out and had ZERO PROBLEMS installing and playing this game. Don't let securom (although it is very pointless) be the reason you don't buy this game. It really hasn't affected my comp at all.

[quote name='V878']lol the crack for this game has been available for months. IF the activation servers go down in 10 years, just find a crack online, apply it to your installation, and you should be fine.[/quote]

That's my backup plan, but it's unacceptable to require consumers to be that savvy.

[quote name='Vegan']Get in touch with me in 10 years and let me know how well you're getting Bioshock to work. I know a lot of gamers only live in the moment and don't really play old games, but I do all the time. It's hard enough getting things to run without stuff like this.[/QUOTE]

What happens when your 360 red rings in 8 years and MS has ceased hardware support? I think you'll have a lot better luck getting an old PC game to play in 10 years than you will an old console game.

[quote name='V878']lol the crack for this game has been available for months. IF the activation servers go down in 10 years, just find a crack online, apply it to your installation, and you should be fine.
.[/QUOTE]

QFT. BTW this and Mass Effect being overblown, people need to realize in 10+ whatever years there will be plenty of "fixes" out and other work arounds. If you have a beefy PC then buy this on the PC, but if you can't run it just get the 360 version for cheap, or the PS3 version when it hits shelves.

Chill out, anti-Securom people.

I'm pretty sure they've stated that if the activation servers were ever taken offline for good, that they'd release executables that don't need the activation.

Also, Wolfpup, you might want to know that all software purchases are not real "purchases" of the software itself, but actually a purchase of the license to use it, and the terms that go along with the license. Just FYI.

[quote name='jalu6']What happens when your 360 red rings in 8 years and MS has ceased hardware support? I think you'll have a lot better luck getting an old PC game to play in 10 years than you will an old console game.[/quote]

DIY parts and repair are going strong for the original Xbox, so I don't see why the 360 would be any different. Although, 10 years from now, who knows: there could be 360 emulators on all our cell phones.

[quote name='jalu6']What happens when your 360 red rings in 8 years and MS has ceased hardware support? I think you'll have a lot better luck getting an old PC game to play in 10 years than you will an old console game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vegan']DIY parts and repair are going strong for the original Xbox, so I don't see why the 360 would be any different. Although, 10 years from now, who knows: there could be 360 emulators on all our cell phones.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention you can buy spare 360s, or buy a used one, or possibly run the games on a future model, etc.

I love how we're "morons" for wanting to play games we bought :roll: Yeah, what a strange concept.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Chill out, anti-Securom people.

I'm pretty sure they've stated that if the activation servers were ever taken offline for good, that they'd release executables that don't need the activation.[/quote]

Even if they'd LIKE to, that's not a guarantee. All sorts of issues could easily prevent that, from legal issues to time/money issues.

Also, Wolfpup, you might want to know that all software purchases are not real "purchases" of the software itself, but actually a purchase of the license to use it, and the terms that go along with the license. Just FYI.

Not really true. The legality of so-called "licenses" is in question in courts. Among other issues, rulings have been in favor of software as a physical product that can be bought and sold with no control by the people who originally developed it. Either way, there's a huge difference between a physical product you purchase that can be used on any hardware that will run it-that can be sold, lent, etc.-and something that can only be used when approved by an outside agent (for as long as that agent is around, and willing to give approval).

I'm kind of shocked how many people are willing to submit to this. In particular I'd think people who care enough about games to be visiting a game related site would want to retain access to stuff they've purchased.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not to mention you can buy spare 360s, or buy a used one, or possibly run the games on a future model, etc. [/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it would be impossible to play it on a 360 in 10 years, my point is that it will most likely be much easier to play the PC version of Bioshock in 10 years than it will to play the 360 version.

Not unless you can find a crack of some sort, which will still be illegal even if you can find it. Much easier to just pull out my 360 (or my spare, or whatever).

Also you'll still have possible compatibility issues at that point too, even on top of defeating the DRM.

What compatibility issues? I played Starcraft, a 10 year old game, just the other day. I also played it on one of the bargain basement Dell laptops my work gives me with Vista installed. It ran fine. And I also played it on Battle.net, which is a 10 year old service that a game company has to keep up and running - and which authenticates CD-Keys.

So, if you want to go dig out your N64 and hope the analog sticks haven't lost all sensitivity to play your console copy of Starcraft, you probably can. But its a hell of a lot easier to just keep the Starcraft CD case in my laptop bag.

damn!! for a second I though this was for the 360. Ive been waiting for this game to reach $20. I guess ill wait for a lil while longer. :(

[quote name='Wolfpup']Not really true. The legality of so-called "licenses" is in question in courts.[/quote]
O rly? Not to my knowledge. Pretty much all music and movies are sold under the same licenses as well. It's common practice, and perfectly legal.

Among other issues, rulings have been in favor of software as a physical product that can be bought and sold with no control by the people who originally developed it.
Utter bullshit. I have heard of no rulings that completely disregard intellectual property rights.

[quote name='jalu6']What compatibility issues? I played Starcraft, a 10 year old game, just the other day. I also played it on one of the bargain basement Dell laptops my work gives me with Vista installed. It ran fine. And I also played it on Battle.net, which is a 10 year old service that a game company has to keep up and running - and which authenticates CD-Keys.

So, if you want to go dig out your N64 and hope the analog sticks haven't lost all sensitivity to play your console copy of Starcraft, you probably can. But its a hell of a lot easier to just keep the Starcraft CD case in my laptop bag.[/quote]

Not a good example. Starcraft is still being maintained and sold in stores. Try playing your average PC game that came out in 1998 and see how much internet research you need to do to get it running on XP or Vista with a multi-core processor and modern graphics card (all of which tend to confuse the hell out of old games).

[quote name='Vegan']Not a good example. Starcraft is still being maintained and sold in stores. Try playing your average PC game that came out in 1998 and see how much internet research you need to do to get it running on XP or Vista with a multi-core processor and modern graphics card (all of which tend to confuse the hell out of old games).[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't play too many games from 1998...but I do know for a fact that Half Life 1 and Unreal 1 work. As does NOLF from 2000. I don't know what you mean by average, but those are all games that were made by large developers and sequels have been made, so there isn't any reason to maintain them over the years, even though they have been.

Really, after the inevitable Bioshock 3 comes out in 2013 or so, you don't think 2k games isn't going to release "The Bioshock Anthology" with all 3 games for $60 space dollars? That's not the thing you see with console games (even the Orange Box didn't get HL1), but its almost expected with the PC. They'll patch it to make it work.

[quote name='Vegan']Not a good example. Starcraft is still being maintained and sold in stores. Try playing your average PC game that came out in 1998 and see how much internet research you need to do to get it running on XP or Vista with a multi-core processor and modern graphics card (all of which tend to confuse the hell out of old games).[/quote]1996. Quake 1. Actually it is well above average, you've gone and tricked me with that little qualifier in there.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That is by no means a precedent saying that from now on, software can't be governed by EULAs. Mmkay.[/QUOTE]

When cornered, just make something up! The groundwork is set for a software "sale" as a revocable license governed by a EULA illegal. Sure, EULAs can cover other legal topics, but any such license granted will be irrevocable and transferrable due to the doctrine of first sale.

"Taking direction solely from Wise, the court concludes that the transfer of
AutoCAD packages from Autodesk to CTA was a sale. Like the Redgrave Contract, the
Settlement Agreement and License allowed CTA to retain possession of the software
copies in exchange for a single up-front payment. Like the Redgrave Contract, the
Settlement Agreement and License imposed onerous restrictions on transfer of the
AutoCAD copies. Similar to the salvage transactions in Wise, the License required CTA
to destroy the software in the event that it purchased a software upgrade. License:
Upgrades and Updates. Under Wise, however, this is a “sale with restrictions on use,”
and is a sufficient basis to invoke the first sale doctrine."

There is conflicting case law in this case however the KEY point that is not up to debate is that an overly onerous EULA can be invalidated by the court, clearly indicating that such extreme measures can be, and in this case are, illegal. That was the original assertion that you found UTTER BULLSHIT. Care to change direction again?

No, I don't. The point still stands, that that in no way, even in the highly unlikely event that the laws went through, does that mean that they suddenly wouldn't be allowed to use activation-based copy protection such as Bioshock's.

At least currently Bioshock PC allows for "revokes" (if I decide to deactivate or uninstall the game) -- see, that I can actually tolerate.

Same cannot be said about Mass Effect PC.

bread's done
Back