Bioshock (PC) $20 at Amazon

Considering the game was intended to be a PC game from the start, I'd say it would be a no-brainer if not for the fact that the PC version requires Internet authentication. It's more like: Buy the PS3 port or lease the definitive PC version.

[quote name='Gamelore']Considering the game was intended to be a PC game from the start, I'd say it would be a no-brainer if not for the fact that the PC version requires Internet authentication. It's more like: Buy the PS3 port or lease the definitive PC version.[/QUOTE]

crack it. problem solved.

warning to vista owners. this game is meant for xp. this game crashed like 20 times during the entire game.

some intergrated audio doesnt work with it and u have to run it in xp compatibility mode

[quote name='Apossum']crack it. problem solved.[/quote]

That is a decent (and honest if used in conjunction with a purchased copy) solution, but I would still rather not give them my money until they officially remove it. By buying the game, you're telling them that this is okay.

[quote name='(psp)snake']warning to vista owners. this game is meant for xp. this game crashed like 20 times during the entire game.

some intergrated audio doesnt work with it and u have to run it in xp compatibility mode[/quote]

I've been playing this for a couple weeks now and it's never crashed on me. Besides, a lot of PC gamers will have a soundcard, and this statement will not apply to them.

[quote name='Gamelore']Considering the game was intended to be a PC game from the start, I'd say it would be a no-brainer if not for the fact that the PC version requires Internet authentication. It's more like: Buy the PS3 port or lease the definitive PC version.[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but the game has a limited amount of installs, too.
At least you can revoke your install on a PC, unlike the upcoming Mass Effect PC.

They upped the number of installs to around 10-15 I believe. After that you need to call an 800 number to activate, but honestly...why would you need to install this thing more than 10 times? lol

[quote name='mantis44']I've been playing this for a couple weeks now and it's never crashed on me. Besides, a lot of PC gamers will have a soundcard, and this statement will not apply to them.[/quote]

lucky you. it was very annoying for alot of people who picked the game up when it first came out.

they did patch it, but i never rlly played it since to know if it fixed the problems. also new drivers.

i have nvidia geoforce 8600 gt, that was very common last year.it runs the game well when its not crashing.

i recall it had to do something with the way the game held the memory in the graphics card. it would overload and make the game crash

[quote name='Capitalizt']They upped the number of installs to around 10-15 I believe. After that you need to call an 800 number to activate, but honestly...why would you need to install this thing more than 10 times? lol[/QUOTE]

You aren't going to have access to the game you "bought" once they take down their activation servers (same deal with Mass Effect). That's the biggest issue with "activation" DRM.

Gamelore, I picked "play it on console". Looked plenty good on the 360 (not AS good, but still). I might pick it up for the Playstation 3 when it hits, depending. It's a good game, although personally I prefered System Shock 2 and Deux Ex...not that that's knocking Bioshock since those are two of my favorite games ever!

[quote name='Wolfpup']You aren't going to have access to the game you "bought" once they take down their activation servers (same deal with Mass Effect). That's the biggest issue with "activation" DRM.[/quote]

Are you serious? When the activation servers go down, a patch will come out to fix that issue. No game developer is stupid enough to alienate their customers like that.

[quote name='mantis44']Are you serious? When the activation servers go down, a patch will come out to fix that issue. No game developer is stupid enough to alienate their customers like that.[/QUOTE]

+1. NO developer/publisher is that stupid.

[quote name='mantis44']Are you serious? When the activation servers go down, a patch will come out to fix that issue. No game developer is stupid enough to alienate their customers like that.[/quote]

Probably, but not necessarily. There are Windows games out there less than 10 years old that have spotty XP support, if they run at all. Did those companies release XP patches? No sir.

[quote name='Vegan']Probably, but not necessarily. There are Windows games out there less than 10 years old that have spotty XP support, if they run at all. Did those companies release XP patches? No sir.[/QUOTE]

That's not really the same case. Those games never worked period. This example refers to games that currently work but may not work later because of the activation servers going down.

Currently showing OOS from Amazon.com as of 4pm EST :cry:

They'll probably get more, but you'll probably have to check back periodically.

[quote name='mantis44']Are you serious? When the activation servers go down, a patch will come out to fix that issue. No game developer is stupid enough to alienate their customers like that.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the companies that put up the activation servers are even the same a few years down the road. What if Troika used activation with Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines? Activision wouldn't even pay to develop a patch for the game to fix major issues, you think they'd be willing to keep activation servers up and release no-activation patches years down the road? Hell, most don't even keep the websites for games up after a few years. You're putting way too much faith in game publishers...especially considering how many go bankrupt or get bought out on a regular basis.

bread's done
Back