Black 360 is in Game Crazy POS

What other site it this on?

Like I said, it is highly unlikely, but I won't rule anything out just yet. If Scorch looks into it and finds nothing then I'll be sure it is a false alarm. In that case, OP ban? :rofl:

[quote name='JimmieMac']But if it's on a site other than this, it's from a guy that isn't him.[/quote]

Sorry, I suck at type.

It's not that I doubt M1C13.. on the contrary, I believe him.. but it's just weird that a system would be in the system before it broke anywhere else.. games do, sure, but seriously, we're talking about the company that didn't add the Wii system UPCs, date, name and price into the computer system until two days before it launched.

OP, how'd you find it? X3 > "black" or hitting X3> and typing GM?

[quote name='Scorch']It's not that I doubt M1C13.. on the contrary, I believe him.. but it's just weird that a system would be in the system before it broke anywhere else.. games do, sure, but seriously, we're talking about the company that didn't add the Wii system UPCs, date, name and price into the computer system until two days before it launched.

OP, how'd you find it? X3 > "black" or hitting X3> and typing GM?[/QUOTE]

Yep, if M1C13 says he saw it in the POS at his store, I definitely believe him. He's trustworthy and has never led us astray before. Plus if he's lying, I could always go punch him in the throat for Jimmie. :lol:

[quote name='thrustbucket']If this new black 360 really does exist, it isn't being marketed as just a game console, it would be marketed as a gateway device into iptv/dvr/video download service center of your living room. The current 360, with only 20 gigs, mostly fails at that.

Most of you, for some reason, seem to think this black one would be replacing the current model. They are aimed at two different markets.

White model = Cheaper, mostly for games, can do other stuff but not as well as the black one.

Black model = Great for Video Marketplace and IPTV. Is also a game console.[/QUOTE]

I agree with thrustbucket here, I don't see it replaceing the current Premium system. However, it may finally mean the death of the core system. Essentially I don't really see a reason to rebuy one either. HDMI is not worth an extra $80 to me.

Still, I am interested in a larger harddrive. I'll be happy as long as they release the bigger HDD separately and with a reasonable price tag ($60 or less, which considering they released a 20gb one at $100 I doubt that'll happen).

Part of me hopes this new 360 will come out and the other part of me hopes it is just a rumor. It would be nice for a newer xbox 360, but I bought mine recently and won't have the money to get the new one when it comes out( i like new things :p). oh well...

i hate how stupid people say stuf like "OMG why would teh MS alienate everyone who got one!!??"

products are improved all the time, on a regular basis. just deal with it. every time you buy someting, you risk defects and you know a new and improved model will come out sooner than later - ESPECIALLY in the tech world.

i guess Apple has pissed off a lot of people releasing new and improved iPods once or twice a year - that's really hurt them and their customers right?

ugh

[quote name='wildnuts02']i hate how stupid people say stuf like "OMG why would teh MS alienate everyone who got one!!??"

products are improved all the time, on a regular basis. just deal with it. every time you buy someting, you risk defects and you know a new and improved model will come out sooner than later - ESPECIALLY in the tech world.

i guess Apple has pissed off a lot of people releasing new and improved iPods once or twice a year - that's really hurt them and their customers right?

ugh[/quote]

So what, you should never buy anything because something better will ALWAYS come out? Why should we have to pay Microsoft twice because they couldn't get it right the first time?

I am a former employee at GC, and can cofirm that a SKU with that information can be in the system, ONLY because they also input a "X-Box 360 Premium w/ HD-DVD" into the system while I still worked there (for only $499.99).

If this IS in the system, it doesnt necessarily mean it is coming out. And it likely won't ring up under F2 (retail sell), but try searching it as a pre-order item and it could show up.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']So what, you should never buy anything because something better will ALWAYS come out? Why should we have to pay Microsoft twice because they couldn't get it right the first time?[/QUOTE]

I think he was saying "don't bitch because it happens all the time," not "don't buy anything."

As for MS "not getting it right," the 20GB premium is just as good as this one. HDMI isn't different from component in terms of output at this point, 120GB drive only matters for movie viewers and IPTV users. It isn't going to hinder your gaming to stick with the one you have.

I just think it's adorable that they're closely approaching the PS3 price.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think he was saying "don't bitch because it happens all the time," not "don't buy anything."

As for MS "not getting it right," the 20GB premium is just as good as this one. HDMI isn't different from component in terms of output at this point, 120GB drive only matters for movie viewers and IPTV users. It isn't going to hinder your gaming to stick with the one you have.

I just think it's adorable that they're closely approaching the PS3 price.[/quote]

And i'll be completely cool with it if they release a 120GB drive (and a way to transfer saves) at a reasonable price, but to downgrade our premium systems only a year after launch is...well, it seems like it should be illegal. Like a bait and switch.

[quote name='shipwreck']Yep, if M1C13 says he saw it in the POS at his store, I definitely believe him. He's trustworthy and has never led us astray before. Plus if he's lying, I could always go punch him in the throat for Jimmie. :lol:[/QUOTE]
ok no throat punching I am already sick. If other store employees would like to check it out look up X360 then GM then scroll down. Also it the price update came on 2/15/07 and you can do a reprint in the memo section i believe or in the price change section that would make more sense.

Closer to 18 months, really, which is much nicer than Apple tends to be with their products (though I'm not sure it's a valid comparison).

[quote name='Dreamixer']I am a former employee at GC, and can cofirm that a SKU with that information can be in the system, ONLY because they also input a "X-Box 360 Premium w/ HD-DVD" into the system while I still worked there (for only $499.99).

If this IS in the system, it doesnt necessarily mean it is coming out. And it likely won't ring up under F2 (retail sell), but try searching it as a pre-order item and it could show up.[/QUOTE]
sorry didn't see your poost before it comes up under both sale (F2) for sale and wishlist (F9). Also the defective xbox360 is under trade-in (F1) only as far as I know so that might be why you don't see the black 360 on there.

oh and that is my store number if you wanted you could look it up in the phone book or some of you could check your receipts (shipwreck and some other guy said he is on here all the time but I forgot his name) I work at gamecrazy winton road cincinnati OH I am saying all of this for credibilty because I didn't believe it myself but I knew that all of you would want to know.

[quote name='mykevermin']Closer to 18 months, really, which is much nicer than Apple tends to be with their products (though I'm not sure it's a valid comparison).[/quote]

iPods have historically cost about $399. New releases come once to twice a year, always: increasing battery life, the quality of the screen, reduction in weight and size and increased capacity for the buck. Immediately upon release, the previous versions are heavily discounted and sold in their "sale" section of Apple.com. in some generation switches, Apple has either added or removed a port (added video port, removed the remote port).

and guess what? non-whiny people are still fully enjoying the iPods they got a few generations back. tech nerds suck it up and sell their iPod on Ebay and get the latest one.

i think the comparison may not be valid insomuch as what MS is proposing to do is vastly less substantial to the average customer (who is a gamer) than what Apple does regularly, with great success.

Yes, revisions to products happen all the time. But - every product has a base function, aka the reason you purchase it. I bought my 360 to play games. I do not care about HD Space, Streaming Capabilities, Color, Processor, Noise etc.

When a revision comes out that addresses any of the above, I don't care - that's the price you pay for being an early adopter of technology. But when a revision comes out that impacts gameplay (in this case visuals) that makes me upset.

HDMI 1080p = digital connectivity option of the future
Component 1080p = a joke

In the case of previous console revisions, the first generation console could do (either already or with addons), everything the new console could. Unless they release an HDMI adapter, this will not be the case, and that's lame.

[quote name='getmyrunon']YHDMI 1080p = digital connectivity option of the future
Component 1080p = a joke[/QUOTE]

Give me a solid reason why this is the case. I thought I was tech savvy, but I've always thought 1080p=1080p, and that the only difference is whether or not the digital lockout for hi-def viewing of movies will be activated (and in the unlikely event that happens, possibly still moot).

Why would I want HDMI when I have component already doing the same thing? I'm not being a smartass (for once), I am looking for legit understanding.

wildnuts2, I see your point. MS is rumored to be making a profit off of the sales of 360 hardware currently, so it will be interesting to see how they proceed. They're in a tenuous spot: their price looks glamorous compared to the PS3 right now, and if they release a console over $400, they risk that position (the closer they get to the PS3 price, the more the choice to go with a DVD drive sticks out like a sore thumb). They could easily drop the Core and Premium $50, or possibly $100, without incurring major losses. Can they do that with the new rumored system? I don't know the answer to that, but it sure as hell would be in their best interest to follow the pricing method you described Apple as using.

Give me a solid reason why this is the case. I thought I was tech savvy, but I've always thought 1080p=1080p, and that the only difference is whether or not the digital lockout for hi-def viewing of movies will be activated (and in the unlikely event that happens, possibly still moot).

Why would I want HDMI when I have component already doing the same thing? I'm not being a smartass (for once), I am looking for legit understanding.
There is no good reason, it's a bullshit statement. HDMI just lets companies ram more DRM down our throats. Component is perfectly capable.

[quote name='secretvampire']There is no good reason, it's a bullshit statement. HDMI just lets companies ram more DRM down our throats. Component is perfectly capable.[/QUOTE]

Unless your TV doesn't support 1080P through component. But Hell, I'm to the point now where I expect half of my shit not to work to it's fullest extent just because there are so many damn resolutions and connection methods.

[quote name='secretvampire']There is no good reason, it's a bullshit statement. HDMI just lets companies ram more DRM down our throats. Component is perfectly capable.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much, but also, for once, opened myself up to the possibility that I may not be fully informed on something. :lol:

My tv goes to 1080i anyway, making it more or less moot, individually speaking.

[quote name='M1C13']sorry didn't see your poost before it comes up under both sale (F2) for sale and wishlist (F9). Also the defective xbox360 is under trade-in (F1) only as far as I know so that might be why you don't see the black 360 on there.

oh and that is my store number if you wanted you could look it up in the phone book or some of you could check your receipts (shipwreck and some other guy said he is on here all the time but I forgot his name) I work at gamecrazy winton road cincinnati OH I am saying all of this for credibilty because I didn't believe it myself but I knew that all of you would want to know.[/quote]

Hopefully Scorch or someone can blow verify this thing so we can all go home.

I don't give a damn about these HDMI ports, I just want to know if they are going to set up a way to transfer saves and downloaded games from one harddrive to another.

woohoo, i guess he got my tip.

anyways, called 2 GC in the sw houston area, and both confirmed that it was in the system, but obviously they had no idea what it was.

An $80 jump for a bigger hard drive on a system that should be seeing a price drop right now? Even if this was $450 it'd be too much. This is a rather shitty move by MS unless they bundle a game or a second controller with this.

[quote name='Apossum']can't video marketplace shows be stored on an external HDD?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Most studios allowing their content to be sold on marketplace wouldn't sell their stuff on live if you could.

[quote name='furyk']An $80 jump for a bigger hard drive on a system that should be seeing a price drop right now? Even if this was $450 it'd be too much. This is a rather shitty move by MS unless they bundle a game or a second controller with this.[/QUOTE]

Why should it be seeing a price drop right now? Is it not selling well enough?

If this rumor is true, the $80 would get you 100 gigs more of space and an HDMI port AT LEAST. It may also include a HD DVD drive, who knows. And don't forget that the premium 360 most likely WOULD drop in price to further the gap with this black one. It will likely be $100 or more difference between the two.

[quote name='mykevermin']Give me a solid reason why this is the case. I thought I was tech savvy, but I've always thought 1080p=1080p[/QUOTE]

1080p does = 1080p. But you have to have a tv CAPABLE of displaying 1080p via Component (which is why people resort to the VGA cable, which often involves another DVI conversion step). If you do, great. If you don't (most of us), not so great. So you may have your box set to output 1080p, but you're not getting it.

VERY FEW sets/receivers do 1080p over component (even newer ones), whereas 1080p via HDMI is standard in new sets (people think the reasoning behind HDMI selection is BS but regardless, it is here to stay). Also, Digital connections > Analog ones (for both video and sound reasons).

This isn't such a big deal to most people right now, but we're reaching very affordable 1080p prices right now and to have a crippled system is just dumb. Microsoft probably knows this, I wish I had waited before picking a 360 up.

Nothing against m1c13 (not to saying I don't believe him- which I actually do) but I checked the computers yet again today and found nothing beyond the defective 360, premium, and core. I searched by typing "X3" then "GM" (which is how you find systems in our computer), then "black", then "120", then "120gb"....and still found nothing yet. If somebody does happedn to preorder one scan the reciept for proof. I'm asuming m1c13 got his information from a printout since that's the only way we get preorder dates. Preorder dates are not in the computer because dates change so often.
Until we see some proof of this I suggest we strongly consider this a RUMOR and not consider it truth.

for the record 1080p through component (which is still an analog signal (because you obviously didn't know that and needed to be put in your place) as compared to hdmi which is a digital signal) is a joke. the fact that you do not know that conveys that you aren't well versed in hdtv subject manner.

and quit posting off topic.

i personally can't wait to get my black 360

[quote name='super d']don't you guys know that a black 360 is a debug kit?debugs come with a bigger hard drive.my best friend got one and he can previewmarket place stuff before it comes out. check cheapys debug video for proof.[/QUOTE]

If this were the debug kit gamecrazy or gamestop would not be able to sell it.

Scorch?

I like how the one external link said several forum members here confirmed it with their GC's. I was able to NOT confirm it. I'm not sure who else here has actually found this at their GC? The guy on Kokatu claims he called several stores and found it to be true though.

If this is true I just want to be sure I put a preorder down so I can get one as soon as the release! Knowing how GC operates I'm sure if I wait a few days they will have closed down preorders for it (having taken too many).

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']for the record 1080p through component (which is still an analog signal (because you obviously didn't know that and needed to be put in your place) as compared to hdmi which is a digital signal) is a joke. the fact that you do not know that conveys that you aren't well versed in hdtv subject manner.

and quit posting off topic.

i personally can't wait to get my black 360[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows HDMI is digital and component is analog. And there is absolutely no proof that just because HDMI is digital that it produces a better picture. That's why many people, like myself, could really give two shits about HDMI.

The only reason HDMI is necessary is for 1080p. That is because the rules REQUIRE 1080p only be passed through VGA or a digital signal. Not because component can't handle it, and not because it looks bad through component (it doesn't). The rules require it because a digital signal is needed to enforce DRM.

So again, HDMI is ONLY advantageous for people with 1080p TV's that DON'T have VGA inputs.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Everyone knows HDMI is digital and component is analog. And there is absolutely no proof that just because HDMI is digital that it produces a better picture. That's why many people, like myself, could really give two shits about HDMI.

The only reason HDMI is necessary is for 1080p. That is because the rules REQUIRE 1080p only be passed through VGA or a digital signal. Not because component can't handle it, and not because it looks bad through component (it doesn't). The rules require it because a digital signal is needed to enforce DRM.

So again, HDMI is ONLY advantageous for people with 1080p TV's that DON'T have VGA inputs.[/quote]
ever heard of bandwith? duhhhhhhhh...no? didn't think so. look it up.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Everyone knows HDMI is digital and component is analog. And there is absolutely no proof that just because HDMI is digital that it produces a better picture. That's why many people, like myself, could really give two shits about HDMI.

So again, HDMI is ONLY advantageous for people with 1080p TV's that DON'T have VGA inputs.[/quote]
ever heard of bandwith? look it up tool.

and quit posting off topic

Well, this wouldn't surprise me to see MS pushing this info into the systems. With the GDC just a few weeks away, I could see MS pulling the veil off of thier updated product. They're hoping to go IPTV by end of year and in order to hook people in they'll need the hardware to support it (not to mention the infrastructure, but they can't do anything about that). Personally I don't have HDMI on my TV at this point, but then again I don't have 1080p either.

I believe the man, who knows if it was intentionally pushed out or not, but I have a feeling that we'll be seeing an announcement within the month on the new 360 -- along with an announced price-drop for the current systems.

[quote name='jer7583']$450 seems like a more appropriate price. [/quote]

Hah, and they charge you $100 for a 20gig hard drive? I don't think they'd charge only $50 for way more space, new color, and possibly HDMI port. Hopefully you're right then. Although that would suck for the people who bought it earlier. I hope this doesn't become a trend to realising new and improved consoles. i.e. gameboys.

Announcing a new console too far in advance will just nuke sales of your existing one. Sony announced the PS2 slim in late September and it hit US shelves first of November. I can't imagine we'll hear about it more than a month before it comes out, and I can't imagine they would release it during the doldrums of the summer, so my guess is this thing is under wraps until the Holiday season.

I'm sorely tempted to just sell my 360/controller/warranty now (could probably get more than I paid for it), hang onto the games, and rebuy sometime in the Winter.

OK. I went and checked in multiple ways and I found nothing of the sort in the system at all. I searched under X360 and I searched to where it'd list every console in the system and it didn't show up on either search. So now that's two GC employees that said they can't find it in the system.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']ever heard of bandwith? look it up tool.
[/QUOTE]

I don't claim to know all that much about HD, but from what I do know it seems your bandwidth claim in comparing component and HDMI signals is irrelevant for time being at least. The most you'll probably ever need for Full HD (1080p) resolution is 300mhz and that's being very generous. 720p the most you'll ever need is probably closer to 120mhz and agian that's being quite generous as most HD sources don't utilize anything higher than 75mhz. Look at any "high quality" component video cable and anything worth what you'll pay will easily surpass those numbers in video bandwidth. Monster cables (expensive I know but just as an example) are rated someplace around 550mhz and some claim up to 1ghz for thier pricier line. The source however is the key anyways, and I obviously don't know but my guess is the 360 doesn't output a signal higher than 300mhz for video bandwidth. The extra bandwidth of HDMI is not even fully utilized ATM, even with the inclusion of audio. So for now and probably a little while to come the only real advantage of digtial is a more stable signal with no real chance of degradation via poor cables or the like and simple practicality for both company and consumer. Like having one conncetion for audio & video, built-in copy protection schemes, etc. etc.

This does raise a question IMO for MS, if HDMI is added will it be HDMI 1.3 to match PS3 (even if nothing really uses it now) or something else?

bread's done
Back