Black 360 is in Game Crazy POS

That's so funny, that everyone is excited about the color. You know if the X360 was black to begin with and was about to come out with a white one, everyone would be creaming their pants anyway.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's so funny, that everyone is excited about the color. You know if the X360 was black to begin with and was about to come out with a white one, everyone would be creaming their pants anyway.[/quote]

do you not read the news you copy and paste or what? it's a black 360, a bigger HD, and all sorts of equipment upgrades/updates/etc.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I don't claim to know all that much about HD, but from what I do know it seems your bandwidth claim in comparing component and HDMI signals is irrelevant for time being at least. The most you'll probably ever need for Full HD (1080p) resolution is 300mhz and that's being very generous. 720p the most you'll ever need is probably closer to 120mhz and agian that's being quite generous as most HD sources don't utilize anything higher than 75mhz. Look at any "high quality" component video cable and anything worth what you'll pay will easily surpass those numbers in video bandwidth. Monster cables (expensive I know but just as an example) are rated someplace around 550mhz and some claim up to 1ghz for thier pricier line. The source however is the key anyways, and I obviously don't know but my guess is the 360 doesn't output a signal higher than 300mhz for video bandwidth. The extra bandwidth of HDMI is not even fully utilized ATM, even with the inclusion of audio. So for now and probably a little while to come the only real advantage of digtial is a more stable signal with no real chance of degradation via poor cables or the like and simple practicality for both company and consumer. Like having one conncetion for audio & video, built-in copy protection schemes, etc. etc.

This does raise a question IMO for MS, if HDMI is added will it be HDMI 1.3 to match PS3 (even if nothing really uses it now) or something else?[/quote]

irrelevant ATM? let me ask you a serious question i ask everyone who complains about the uselessness of hdmi 1.3 or 1080p tvs - how often do you or the average person buy a new hdtv? if I'm buying now, it's gonna be top of the line regardless if anything utilizes those functions as of yet. i have extra cash, but i'm not gonna throw it away

So, has anyone actually been able to preorder this puppy?

One of the following statements that we've heard in this thread is not true:

1) There is this new Xbox in the POS system
2) If it is in the computer at one GC, it is at all of them

I went into my GC today and asked about it again. They had heard of the rumored system and the manager was there. Both him and the other guy looked through the computer and found nothing - I even showed them a printout of the OP's exact wording of the item in the computer. Nada...

HOWEVER, the manager was sure that this was coming and said one of the GC corporate people told him that it would be out soon. Now, unless we're getting circular rumors here (ie, the GC corporate person got it from the same Internet sites we have seen before) then perhaps this actually is a *little* more proof of this actually happening.

As soon as anyone can actually preorder it at GC I'll want to know, though, as I don't want to miss out on these. I will be returning the Costco bundle I bought yesterday in the mean time. Of course, this is the exact reason why MS will keep this under wraps for as long as possible ;).

[quote name='io']So, has anyone actually been able to preorder this puppy?

One of the following statements that we've heard in this thread is not true:

1) There is this new Xbox in the POS system
2) If it is in the computer at one GC, it is at all of them

I went into my GC today and asked about it again. They had heard of the rumored system and the manager was there. Both him and the other guy looked through the computer and found nothing - I even showed them a printout of the OP's exact wording of the item in the computer. Nada...

HOWEVER, the manager was sure that this was coming and said one of the GC corporate people told him that it would be out soon. Now, unless we're getting circular rumors here (ie, the GC corporate person got it from the same Internet sites we have seen before) then perhaps this actually is a *little* more proof of this actually happening.

As soon as anyone can actually preorder it at GC I'll want to know, though, as I don't want to miss out on these. I will be returning the Costco bundle I bought yesterday in the mean time. Of course, this is the exact reason why MS will keep this under wraps for as long as possible ;).[/QUOTE]
ok I'm back from work with some news.....

well the black 360 was takeno out of the computer, but I still have proof it was in the computer to begin with. If you go to the managers menu and you will find a section that says reprint price updates. On the second page of the price update sheet is the black 360 for $479.99. I still have the price change sheet if you would like me to post it and scorch should be able to verify that it is a legit price change, you will know it is thursday because the whole first page is DVDs.

[quote name='M1C13']ok I'm back from work with some news.....

well the black 360 was takeno out of the computer, but I still have proof it was in the computer to begin with. If you go to the managers menu and you will find a section that says reprint price updates. On the second page of the price update sheet is the black 360 for $479.99. I still have the price change sheet if you would like me to post it and scorch should be able to verify that it is a legit price change, you will know it is thursday because the whole first page is DVDs.[/QUOTE]

No proof needed M1C13, I believe you - but it appears to be a glitch and/or someone jumping the gun a bit. I think this is going to happen, but it was certainly premature for GC to have it in there (and especially to take preorders for it at this time, though it doesn't look like that's happened anywhere). So we'll just have to wait it out a bit more. But as soon as it is available to preorder, I hope you and/or Scorch let us know ASAP!

Now if by late March/early April we hear nothing of this new 360 appearing in Australia then maybe we can dismiss this all once again. It could simply be that all the hype (*including* someone at GC adding it to the system) is all a result of this rumor combined with the dev kit pictures. I certainly hope not, but that is a distinct possibility.

[quote name='Scorch']do you not read the news you copy and paste or what? it's a black 360, a bigger HD, and all sorts of equipment upgrades/updates/etc.[/quote]

Dude, I'm on top of it. I could care less about the bigger HDD I want it soley for the HDMI. Im just saying a lot of people are excited about the color as well.

I would like a black 360, and I would like a bigger HDD, but not for that price. I may sell off my current 360 to buy a black one though when the time comes.

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']irrelevant ATM? let me ask you a serious question i ask everyone who complains about the uselessness of hdmi 1.3 or 1080p tvs - how often do you or the average person buy a new hdtv? if I'm buying now, it's gonna be top of the line regardless if anything utilizes those functions as of yet. i have extra cash, but i'm not gonna throw it away[/QUOTE]

If you're buying one right now you won't get HDMI 1.3, no TV on the market even uses it to my knowledge, that's the point I was getting at. If we were discussing some technology due out in 2010 or whatever I can see your point, but this a matter of months. So in the here and now and near future it is irrelevant. From what I know, no video source (but especially the 360), due out in the year 2007, will come close to maxing out the video bandwidth for available component let alone HDMI, therefore in the near future (the time period we're debating over) that example is for all intensive purposes irrelevant.

Moreover, you should note many people purchasing HDTV equipment don't always just buy top of the line sets, this is easily evidenced by the rapid expansion of companies like Westinghouse and Vizio and more into the budget realm and the price clubs like Sam's and Costco making huge leaps in the TV retail market over the past 2 years. There's really two sects in consumer electronics that consistantly purcahses top of the line tech, the rich/trendy and the early adopters. Early apopters almost always buy top of the line, but the HD market is far passed the stage for just early adopters now, HD is becoming more practical and less trendy, and the price points of even the major brands are no longer just for the rich.

However, I say enough of this argument. We are off course a bit and only getting further. We all should be waiting to see if this rumor even pans out before we go into debates over logistics, specs, and semantics.

Read through the responses to the kotaku posting of this info.

Some interesting ones:

I can further confirm this. I work for Hollywood Entertainment/Movie Gallery Inc (the company that owns Gamecrazy, Hollywood Video, and Movie Gallery). But be warned: our POS sometimes is a P.O.S and wrong.

OK, OK, so I think we can believe the OP. Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The new SKU is exclusive to the 120gb drive offer as far as I know. It simply replaces the standard permiums once they go out of stock and isn't actually ready for release yet.

I also couldn't get any of my friends at microsoft to confirm the new unit was actually black. [highlight]There is a black wireless pad though so I assume it goes with a black console or maybe it's just the replacement for the white pad who knows.[/highlight]

Interesting...

There's also the giveaway black HD DVD drive someone posted about (previously in this thread) that MS is allowing them to sell (indicating that it will be a retail thing soon enough). The evidence keeps piling up. However, it points to there not being a built-in HD DVD drive. But I would say that is as expected, and fine with me I suppose (though of course I wouldn't mind one). But I have a feeling the inclusion of that would really push early adopters over the edge, so it makes sense to keep that as a peripheral and just change the color (meaningless), upgrade the HD (nice, and the most likely upgrade), add HDMI (not sold on this one), and switch to the 65nm processor (again, would be nice, but that could still be further off). This might just end up being the same old 360 in black with a 120GB drive slapped onto it instead of the 20GB. At a minimum, though, it should have the BenQ DVD drive, so that's worth waiting for as well (currently I can't find a Nov 2006 or later machine anywhere anyway).

I'll reprint a princing update for Thursday tomorrow afternoon, but as I said before, I have no reason to doubt M1C13. I just want to see it for myself.

[quote name='mr ryles']I would like a black 360, and I would like a bigger HDD, but not for that price. I may sell off my current 360 to buy a black one though when the time comes.[/quote]Thinking of doing the same thing.

sweet..not that big a deal to me..im already on my 10th 360. whenever it freezes, i return it to target since there is 90 day warranty

gameinformer blows...that site's a god damn joke...doesn't even post a fucking source article. i can make up shit also and not post any sources.

"beer rains from sky" "prostitute prices hit rock bottom"

[quote name='mvick288']sweet..not that big a deal to me..im already on my 10th 360. whenever it freezes, i return it to target since there is 90 day warranty[/QUOTE]

If you've had 9 frozen 360s, then there's either a) something wrong with the batch your Target got or b) you're doing something wrong.:p

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']gameinformer blows...that site's a god damn joke...doesn't even post a fucking source article. i can make up shit also and not post any sources.

"beer rains from sky" "prostitute prices hit rock bottom"[/QUOTE]

The difference between you and GI is that... GI has credibility to defend, you don't. GI has tons of readers... you can't even type properly. Therefore, it's likely what they said probably came from a good source (notice I said probably, didn't say it was true).

thanks everybody for standing up for me. this story is on digg with a bunch of diggs but I wasn't even going to try and say I was the one started it all.

This definitely puts a little fire under sony's butt.

no reason for me to buy it though...a cheap modded xbox is still more capable of handling media. it can play every file type and stream all your media, with a larger HD, all for probably half the cost, with no hassle of the media center extender. only difference is no HD-DVD and no video marketplace.

Call me old school, but I always liked it when console prices dropped. Oh well, can't wait to see what they stuff into the $700 PS3.

its jkust if it locks up once...i also use it for the 3 month free warranty. because i know as soon as the warranty return is over, it will break. i also get free xbox live! also, if there is a price drop i get covered!

[quote name='Vinny']If you've had 9 frozen 360s, then there's either a) something wrong with the batch your Target got or b) you're doing something wrong.:p

The difference between you and GI is that... GI has credibility to defend, you don't. GI has tons of readers... you can't even type properly. Therefore, it's likely what they said probably came from a good source (notice I said probably, didn't say it was true).[/quote]
OH SHIT!! I just got OWNED. Did everybody see that. i misspelled a word and this FOCKER called me on it. PURE FOCKING OWNAGE!!!1111!!:applause:

awesome debate skills by the way. :applause:

For those complaining about the price increase, I don't think that will be a problem as the Zephyr will merely make the current premium system less desirable and therefore cheaper. And most people don't care about HDMI and I find the 20gig HD to be plenty big enough. So this is really good news all around then.

[quote name='M1C13']thanks everybody for standing up for me. this story is on digg with a bunch of diggs but I wasn't even going to try and say I was the one started it all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, their story is particularly pathetic if by "Retailers have confirmed that the new SKU is in their systems" they simply mean different Gamecrazy locations (as *first* noted here and then confirmed at other GC's by Kotaku). Now, if another chain has this SKU in their system, that IS "new" news, but they don't say which retailers they mean. Kind of lame...

"but it’s interesting that so many retailers are wrong in the same way…" - OK, how about listing some of these "so many retailers" (if they mean anything but Gamecrazy and possibly the Australian retailer)?? That would lend some credibility to their report (and make it further confirmation that the rumor is probably true).

As for the price increase/features - I don't have a 360 yet (well, actually, I do have a Costco bundle sitting right here but I'm going to return it ;)) and this seems like a great value to me. I'll get one as soon as I can (was hoping for a Gamecrazy preorder!). The black I don't particularly care about, and the HDMI isn't so important to me now. But the convenience of having 100GB more right off the bat is worth the $80 more alone. If it also has the quieter DVD drive that makes it well worth it. The 65nm/cooler processor would be a bonus but I'm not expecting that at this point. (And I'm definitely not expecting built-in HD DVD).

[quote name='Cloudy Wolf']OH SHIT!! I just got OWNED. Did everybody see that. i misspelled a word and this FOCKER called me on it. PURE FOCKING OWNAGE!!!1111!!:applause:

awesome debate skills by the way. :applause:[/quote]

i focking lold hard focking lold hard. thanks for making me fucking laugh :D

[quote name='whoknows']No, he's reporting what GameInformer said[/QUOTE]

When I refer to "that guy," I'm actually talking about the Game Informer guy. And isn't it weird that Game Informer reports this just a few hours after a CAG tells us about a black 360 available on May 1st and at $479.99. We all know that GI just stole the whole thing from CAG.

Also, can we just merge this with the other topic since GI just stole this information from M1C13 in the first place.

Again, his topic his here...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=128115

[quote name='valor19']When I refer to "that guy," I'm actually talking about the Game Informer guy. And isn't it weird that Game Informer reports this just a few hours after a CAG tells us about a black 360 available on May 1st and at $479.99. We all know that GI just stole the whole thing from CAG.

Also, can we just merge this with the other topic since GI just stole this information from M1C13 in the first place.

Again, his topic his here...
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=128115[/QUOTE]
Oh, I thought you were attacking the OP :lol:

NVM then :p

[quote name='M1C13']thanks everybody for standing up for me. this story is on digg with a bunch of diggs but I wasn't even going to try and say I was the one started it all.[/quote]
It was really solid of the Game Informer writer to not mention you at all...journalism at its finest.

Jeff Cork
[email protected]

Thanks, Jeff!

[quote name='thrustbucket']I don't think $80 more for HDMI and 100 gigs more storage is a bad price at all.[/QUOTE]
It should be $400. Sure, I'd be willing to pay it, but if MS released a competitive system, featurwise, compared to the PS3, it would be quite something.

I personally think releasing a more expensive system with a lot of the same bells & whistles as the PS3 (presumably with the exception of built-in HD-DVD) would be a big mistake for MS. It's almost a tacit recognition that Sony had the right approach all along (and assuming the rumor is correct, it's even in black!).

I have said a number of times that the PS3 isn't actually overpriced when compared to the 360, as long as you take into account what you actually get. However, having such a large price difference does help the 360 on a psychological level.

By the way, for the people saying that consumer electronics get upgraded all the time -- that is certainly true. However, game consoles in general do not. Part of the appeal of a console is that the hardware remains the same. This is good for developers (since they don't have to worry about changes in configuration) and good for the consumer (since they don't have to worry about buying something that will soon become obsolete). True, Nintendo does have a history of releasing updated hardware, but in general the changes are cosmetic and not functional (they may have different colors or a better screen, but they don't radically change the hardware specs). So I do think people would be justified in getting upset at a change like this so early in the 360's lifespan.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']IGN now has the story up with GI as the source.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

fuckin' jerks. Almost makes me hope it turns out to be totally wrong so these guys look like the thievin' schmucks they are.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

fuckin' jerks. Almost makes me hope it turns out to be totally wrong so these schmucks look like fools.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so IGN gets it from GameInformer, who swiped it from here, where it was listed because it showed in the Gamecrazy POS, which may be there because some corporate type at GC heard the Australian release rumors, which may have been spurred by the pictures of the black Dev kits that have been floating around...

So it all might be for nothing, indeed. Though the weak link there is how GC got wind of it (complete speculation on my part that their listing might be due to rumors). I'm hoping, of course, since I'm waiting on buying a 360 because of this, that it does turn out to be true.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

fuckin' jerks. Almost makes me hope it turns out to be totally wrong so they're made out to be the schmucks they are.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: to avoid evil evil redundancy.

FWIW, I went over the weekend and did a reprint of every price change over the past week.. never saw it. Checked the POS.. no evidence. Maybe they just covered their tracks.. who knows.

Also.. the master release list was screwed up last week (it was sorted by date rather than system), along with them converting over to a different credit card verification system AND inventory.. so it's possible that it was accidentally put on a list.. or maybe it was a system error.. I dunno WTF is going on but I couldn't find a trace of it.

[quote name='io']Wait, so IGN gets it from GameInformer, who swiped it from here, where it was listed because it showed in the Gamecrazy POS, which may be there because some corporate type at GC heard the Australian release rumors, which may have been spurred by the pictures of the black Dev kits that have been floating around, which are secretly distributed by Kevin Bacon...[/QUOTE]
Fix'd...
Or maybe it was Michael Caine?

It might be worth it for the quieter drive. If I could trade in my current system, a couple of games and $100 and get the new one I'd probably bite.

BS unless there's more to the sku.

Might as well buy a $500 PS3 with BR built-in. ON the PS3 you can put in your own hard drive which means alot more capacity and dirt cheap.

So no way MS is doing this at that pricepoint.

bread's done
Back