Black Friday HDTV deals thread

freshzen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I figured I'd make a topic where all BF HDTV deals can be shared and discussed.

I'll start by posting some of the more appealing deals that have been posted so far.

Best Buy:
Samsung (LN40B500P3FXZA) [40" 1080p 60Hz LCD) $597
Sony (KDL-32L504) [32" 720p 60Hz LCD] $377

New Egg:
Sharp (LC-46SB57U) [46" 1080p 120Hz LCD] $699

Sears:
Panasonic (TC-P42S1) [42" 1080p Plasma] $649
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599
Samsung (PN50B430)) [50" 720p Plasma] $699
Sharp (LC19SB27UT) [19" 720p LCD] $179
Vizio (VO320E) [32" 720p LCD] $349

Target:
Apex (LD4088) [40" 1080p LCD] $449
Westinghouse [32" 720p LCD] $249

Wal-Mart:
Emerson (PL-P42W-10A) [42" 720 plasma] $448
Sansui (HDLCD1909) [19" 720p LCD] $128
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599

Last edited by a moderator:
32 is medium? Cripes. 26 is large to me as I have a 13" or 15" SD right now. And I don't want house brands if I was ever to upgrade, anything over $100 needs to be a decent brand. And HD isn't worth more than $250 or so. Oh well, maybe not this year then.

I went from a 28in. to a 46in. It seems huge! I've heard people regretting getting a 46 and not going with a 52 but... uh. I don't have that problem/feeling at all.

I'll tell you what is sweet after I bought my 360 at walmart I used the 100 GC to purchase a 42 in Sharp for 530-100= 430. I now have a larger t.v then my parents, my girlfridns parents and grandparents and it really wasn't that expensive. Needless to say, I am the envy of all and It is Sweet!

so buying that westinghouse t.v. would be a mistake? i always thought they were a good company. I need a T.V. under 300 bucks thats decent or great lol

i cant find any info on the specific model.
honestly, its $250 i say buy it. or atleast try to get there early enough to buy it.

I think Westinghouse is ok for the price...just don't be TOO surprised if it doesn't top the Sony/Samsung/Panasonic/Sharp/etc in that size range (of course, they are pricier sets...so it's a catch 22).

[quote name='ferzan']so buying that westinghouse t.v. would be a mistake? i always thought they were a good company. I need a T.V. under 300 bucks thats decent or great lol[/QUOTE]
What are going to be your main uses for the TV? Strictly gaming, or are you going to be using it to watch Cable TV?

those who have a

ABC WHEREHOUSE NEAR THEM

Panasonic
42" 720p Plasma HDTV

The new C1 Series Plasma HDTVs are ideal for sports, with crisp, focused images during fast-moving action scenes.

500 bucks ... if you have a best buy near it they shold price match

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Honestly 1080p is wasted on anything below 42".[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is mostly true. If you were going to be sitting close enough to the screen, it might be ok.

I've been wanting a HDTV for my room for gaming and watching movies on, around 32" is my preference so If anyone finds agood deal on one can you please post it here?

[quote name='freshzen']Yeah this is mostly true. If you were going to be sitting close enough to the screen, it might be ok.[/QUOTE]

resolution is overblown. outside of bluray youre getting an upscaled image. youre not going to see a difference. if youre on a budget buy a higher end display of a lower resolution.

This deal was an early black Friday deal at WalMart last weekend... don't know if they'll do it again before Xmas

I picked up a 52" Sharp LCD (1080p 120hz 4ms) for $898 (reg $1548)

They also had:
46" for $698 and 40" for $498. Both Sharp 1080 and 120hz.

There was a Panasonic(?) 46" plasma for $798.

[quote name='slidecage']those who have a

ABC WHEREHOUSE NEAR THEM

Panasonic
42" 720p Plasma HDTV

The new C1 Series Plasma HDTVs are ideal for sports, with crisp, focused images during fast-moving action scenes.

500 bucks ... if you have a best buy near it they shold price match[/QUOTE]

went over to best buy and they said these are no longer made that is why they are dumping them so cheap... nice tv but if they go out good luck finding parts..... also they said plasmas have more GLARE and use more POWER.... so i passed

I'm waiting for Best Buy's BF ad or Wal-Mart for LCDs. Thinking of getting a 42" 1080p in my bedroom that'll be both my computer monitor and HDTV/360 gaming.

[quote name='slidecage']went over to best buy and they said these are no longer made that is why they are dumping them so cheap... nice tv but if they go out good luck finding parts..... also they said plasmas have more GLARE and use more POWER.... so i passed[/QUOTE]

models get replaced every year in 2-3 years this models will no longer be produced. manufacturers do keep parts on hand for a while, how long i have no idea.

lcd's with matte screens do a good job diffusing glare. certain models have highly reflective screens and all plasmas have glass screens as well. better models of both types have pretty good anti-glare coatings but any reflective screen is going to be bothersome in bright rooms.

pro-tip. if you have a screen with an anti-glare coating. DO NOT use any cleaner on it.

if you have kids and your display is going to be in their range, a matte screen is a better idea.

edit - i was looking at the specs on the sony kdl5150 another cag asked about, it uses about 6 more watts than my main plasma.
so i guess the power arguement is out.

p.gif
Does anyone have a Panasonic (TC-P42S1) [42" 1080p Plasma] $649 review?

Gah this drives me crazy. I read all the stuff about the G10 being so great and then the C-Net review lists flicker on it. What is the problem?!
Jeez they wouldn't think videophiles would be driven crazy by this?! X-(

Your comments paz9x?

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']Any chance of a $400-$500 1080p 42" HDTV going on sale anywhere?[/QUOTE]\

Someone mentioned a possible $600 40'' or 42'' HDTV going for Sears soon. Got no confirmation on it yet though.

[quote name='Sarang01']Now it's looking like the V10 would be best. Any deals coming down on that paz?[/QUOTE]

as for deals. im not sure, id keep an eye on slickdeals or something.
for the g10, id typed this excessive reply to the flicker issue with the g10 and realized it didnt really matter, 24p is another overblown feature/tech that on its own isnt very desirable if youre trying to display film as purely as possible.

panasonic screwed up IMO by offering 48hz instead of 96hz which seems to be a better in displaying 24p source.

flicker is something everyone perceives differently, you may not be able to see it. id try to view a g10 set to 48hz in person being fed a 24p source.
if your choice of a v10 over the g10 is solely because of the flicker id take the g10 and watch it at 60hz.
thats a 50% price increase on the 50" model.

i think itd be well worth your time to take a trip to the local tv store and have them show you a g10 and some other displays viewing a 24p source and see how they handle it to your eye.

my dad has a g10 and loves it.

[quote name='paz9x']as for deals. im not sure, id keep an eye on slickdeals or something.
for the g10, id typed this excessive reply to the flicker issue with the g10 and realized it didnt really matter, 24p is another overblown feature/tech that on its own isnt very desirable if youre trying to display film as purely as possible.

panasonic screwed up IMO by offering 48hz instead of 96hz which seems to be a better in displaying 24p source.

flicker is something everyone perceives differently, you may not be able to see it. id try to view a g10 set to 48hz in person being fed a 24p source.
if your choice of a v10 over the g10 is solely because of the flicker id take the g10 and watch it at 60hz.
thats a 50% price increase on the 50" model.

i think itd be well worth your time to take a trip to the local tv store and have them show you a g10 and some other displays viewing a 24p source and see how they handle it to your eye.

my dad has a g10 and loves it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's basically it and what's this about breaking in my set when I get one? I was reading someone commenting on letting it run 150 hours on different slides to break the color in. Any comments here?
I also plan to calibrate it with a variety of video tuning discs. Maybe down the road I'll get it ISF calibrated.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah that's basically it and what's this about breaking in my set when I get one? I was reading someone commenting on letting it run 150 hours on different slides to break the color in. Any comments here?
I also plan to calibrate it with a variety of video tuning discs. Maybe down the road I'll get it ISF calibrated.[/QUOTE]

definately go check it out in person. if you dont see flicker id save the large amount of $
i personally dont think the difference in picture alone warrants that large a $ increase.

id break it in for peace of mind. i do so with my own. when the phosphors are young they age super fast initially then slowly age. the idea is you get them all into the slow aging stage at the same time. its not a big deal. but like i said, i do it with my stuff.

the thx modes on the g/v10's are good for calibration, make sure you dont calibrate before a solid 150 hours of viewing.

How do you properly break in a plasma? My parents plan on getting one during the black friday window. I just hope it's simple enough for them to be able to do it, since I'm not with them at the moment.

Question do you think I will have to camp extra early to get one of the 50" plasmas on black friday from Best Buy. they range between 900-1000 and both are 1080p. we normally leave around 3 in the morning but if they seem to be in high demand I might have to camp early.

After some semi complicated fanagling last Sunday and today, I got the LG 47" LED LCD (which is fully backlit) for about 810 dollars after tax. It was 1400 after tax with a free Blu-Ray player which I still need to sell. Assuming that sells for 250, there's the 10% off Mover's Coupon that I went in today to get retroactively applied for 128.00, the cheap gift card on Craigslist I got (750 for 625) so 125.00 there, the 10.00 reward zone cert I had, and the 80.00 in Reward Zone certs I will get in the future for having triple points last Sunday. So 125+128+250+10+80= 590. 590 minus 1400 is 810. I have a feeling that during Black Friday won't touch that, I hope.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']How do you properly break in a plasma? My parents plan on getting one during the black friday window. I just hope it's simple enough for them to be able to do it, since I'm not with them at the moment.[/QUOTE]

yeah its not rocket science. if the display has a memory card input for viewing pictures its VERY easy. you just load a set of solid color screens and set them to slideshow and let it run basically.
if theres no input you need to burn the images to a disk and play it.

[quote name='The0ne']\

Someone mentioned a possible $600 40'' or 42'' HDTV going for Sears soon. Got no confirmation on it yet though.[/QUOTE]
$600 isn't $400-$500 :)

[quote name='paz9x']yeah its not rocket science. if the display has a memory card input for viewing pictures its VERY easy. you just load a set of solid color screens and set them to slideshow and let it run basically.
if theres no input you need to burn the images to a disk and play it.[/QUOTE]

Does DVE or Spears and Musil include one?

[quote name='Sarang01']Does DVE or Spears and Musil include one?[/QUOTE]

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/

use his. he did a good job.

sort of on topic. i stopped by best buy this morning my wife saw a sign for 25% off all open box tv's
i ended up buying a lg 32" 1080p 60hz for my sons xmas gift. $307

the manager said they needed to get rid of them and started this promotion saturday, they expect in influx of open box tvs following black friday. so it might be worth the time to go check out your BB, might find something perfect for you.

Kendro, seems like a decent TV from the reviews. 7 5-egg reviews and 1 1-egg review makes me think that it's a good TV. You could also take a look on AVSForum.com and see how people there think about the TV.

[quote name='Kaiser499']I've been wanting a HDTV for my room for gaming and watching movies on, around 32" is my preference so If anyone finds agood deal on one can you please post it here?[/QUOTE]

I have been looking all over and researching the best 32...

Value/review/price

Vizio 32 vo32

it is going to be on sale at costco on black friday for 390. i was a little apprehensive since Vizio is a newer brand...but Costco throws in an extra free year of warranty...So Hard to beat.

its 1080p, thats what makes it that much better.

finally looks sexy as hell!

va320e_1.jpg

Best Buy already has the BF price up for the Dynex 32" 720p LCD HDtv($299.99) and the Insignia 42" LCD HDtv($699.99).

There's also what appears to be an earlier Insignia 42" LCD HDtv up there for $50 less than the BF ad model.

Links:

32" Dynex: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+32%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9291777.p?PID=1234320&id=1218105523429&ci_sku=9291777&ref=39&ci_src=11138&loc=01&URL=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9291777&type=product&id=1218105523429&ci_src=11138&ci_sku=9291777&AID=10474050&skuId=9291777

42" Insignia(no store pickup option): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni....p?id=1218131142821&skuId=9553878&st=Insignia 42"&cp=1&lp=4

42" Insignia(looks like older model, $50 less than BF one): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni....p?id=1218038552349&skuId=9155479&st=Insignia 42"&cp=1&lp=1

[quote name='gomikeoh']I have been looking all over and researching the best 32...

Value/review/price

Vizio 32 vo32

it is going to be on sale at costco on black friday for 390. i was a little apprehensive since Vizio is a newer brand...but Costco throws in an extra free year of warranty...So Hard to beat.

its 1080p, thats what makes it that much better.

finally looks sexy as hell!

va320e_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What about this one?

http://www.dpbolvw.net/click-131273...831450&skuId=9230708&st=ln32b360c5d&cp=1&lp=1

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']Question do you think I will have to camp extra early to get one of the 50" plasmas on black friday from Best Buy. they range between 900-1000 and both are 1080p. we normally leave around 3 in the morning but if they seem to be in high demand I might have to camp early.[/QUOTE]

Last year, there were 1000 people in line at 3am at my Best Buy. If you want to be up at the front of the line to get one of the hot HDTV deals you need to be there at 3pm the day before. You have to go with a friend so you can have bathroom breaks, one person can sleep in the car at all times, then when they hand out the tickets at 3am, you both need to be in line together. Dress Extremely Warm! Layers!

[quote name='paz9x']http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/
use his. he did a good job.[/QUOTE]

Paz knows exactly what he is talking about throughout this entire thread. I've been using this slideshow on an SD card since I got the Panny 46" 1080p plasma at a Walmart doorbuster for $788 on 11/8. As soon as I am done with tv/movie/gaming I immediately switch right back to the slideshow.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']How do you properly break in a plasma? My parents plan on getting one during the black friday window. I just hope it's simple enough for them to be able to do it, since I'm not with them at the moment.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='paz9x']yeah its not rocket science. if the display has a memory card input for viewing pictures its VERY easy. you just load a set of solid color screens and set them to slideshow and let it run basically.
if theres no input you need to burn the images to a disk and play it.

http://www.webapalooza.com/plasma/
use his. he did a good job.[/QUOTE]

Paz knows exactly what he is talking about throughout this entire thread. I've been using this slideshow on an SD card since I got the Panny 46" 1080p plasma at a Walmart doorbuster for $698 on Nov 8. As soon as I am done with tv/movie/gaming I immediately switch right back to the slideshow.

[quote name='gordojones88']Last year, there were 1000 people in line at 3am at my Best Buy. If you want to be up at the front of the line to get one of the hot HDTV deals you need to be there at 3pm the day before. You have to go with a friend so you can have bathroom breaks, one person can sleep in the car at all times, then when they hand out the tickets at 3am, you both need to be in line together. Dress Extremely Warm! Layers![/QUOTE]

And THIS is why I refuse to go out on Black Friday. I'm not about to freeze my ass off on the possibility I might get a deal of some sort. Plus, I've always gone on my own and ended up not having anyone to switch out with.

When looking at the specs on any HDTV, one of the most important aspects is the 'native' contrast ratio, not the 'dynamic' contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is the ratio of the brightest pixel to the darkest pixel. Some of these cheap LCDs have a normal contrast ratio of 3000:1 whereas some of the better LCDs and plasmas can have up to 40,000:1 or more. My Panasonic plasma has a dynamic contrast ratio of 2,000,000:1. It pretty much crushes the detail out of dark shadowy areas, but does provide an amazing pop to the picture.

Ignore the whole plasma 600hz subfield processing, it's marketing lingo. It does not refresh at 600hz. It's still 60hz with 10bit processing that refreshes each pixel 10 times per frame, which is the way plasmas work anyway. 120hz LCDs are better than 60hz LCDs, but on the 120hz LCD's for gaming, you should always turn off any kind of 'Motion Processing' since it can cause serious input lag for gaming. That's what the game mode does if the tv has that feature.

bread's done
Back