Black Friday HDTV deals thread

freshzen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I figured I'd make a topic where all BF HDTV deals can be shared and discussed.

I'll start by posting some of the more appealing deals that have been posted so far.

Best Buy:
Samsung (LN40B500P3FXZA) [40" 1080p 60Hz LCD) $597
Sony (KDL-32L504) [32" 720p 60Hz LCD] $377

New Egg:
Sharp (LC-46SB57U) [46" 1080p 120Hz LCD] $699

Sears:
Panasonic (TC-P42S1) [42" 1080p Plasma] $649
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599
Samsung (PN50B430)) [50" 720p Plasma] $699
Sharp (LC19SB27UT) [19" 720p LCD] $179
Vizio (VO320E) [32" 720p LCD] $349

Target:
Apex (LD4088) [40" 1080p LCD] $449
Westinghouse [32" 720p LCD] $249

Wal-Mart:
Emerson (PL-P42W-10A) [42" 720 plasma] $448
Sansui (HDLCD1909) [19" 720p LCD] $128
Samsung (LN40B500) [40" 60Hz 1080p LCD] $599

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gordojones88']When looking at the specs on any HDTV, one of the most important aspects is the 'native' contrast ratio, not the 'dynamic' contrast ratio. Contrast ratio is the ratio of the brightest pixel to the darkest pixel.

Ignore the whole plasma 600hz subfield processing, it's marketing lingo. It does not refresh at 600hz. It's still 60hz with 10bit processing that refreshes each pixel 10 times per frame, which is the way plasmas work anyway. 120hz LCDs are better than 60hz LCDs, but on the 120hz LCD's for gaming, you should always turn off any kind of 'Motion Processing' since it can cause serious input lag for gaming. That's what the game mode does if the tv has that feature.[/QUOTE]

the problem with listed contrast ratios is that there is no standard for testing and listing the found value.
its like each car company devising their own method for calculating horsepower. you can imagine the fun that would cause.

I wouldnt pay ANY attention to what they state.

also, it seems like all insignia displays have a 2 year warranty. good news for those considering one.

Does anyone see any large LCDs or Large plasmas up on BF sales? I haven't seen anything over 50", seems like mostly cheaper impulse buys.

I'm looking for a good sized for one for our large living room.

[quote name='paz9x']The problem with listed contrast ratios is that there is no standard for testing and listing the found value.
I wouldnt pay ANY attention to what they state.[/QUOTE]

Well, I mean do not pay any attention to 'dynamic' contrast ratio, but certainly the normal 'static' image contrast ratio is at least one of several factors to consider when looking at a particular HDTV model's image quality?

I was going to mention the moving or vertical resolution is now the standard by which 1080p is measured by the The Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers. It seems to be listed in the specs on most of the manufacturer's websites now. Still it's all just too much.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wish my eyes were that virgin to detail or expectations that low to detail. Those tvs have gotta look pretty shitty.[/QUOTE]

what exactly are you referring to?

The "cheap" tvs in this thread so far. I can't imagine any of them being anywhere decent. Might as well be randomly picking with your eyes closed.

[quote name='VipFREAK']The "cheap" tvs in this thread so far. I can't imagine any of them being anywhere decent. Might as well be randomly picking with your eyes closed.[/QUOTE]

price doesnt always indicate quality.
what do you base your perception on? doubtful its personal experience.
while you might have unlimited funds from up there on your throne some people need to make dollar to value choices on tight budgets.

insignia or sceptre or anything from say... Target? They all look shitty even if it says "1080p". There's definitely a difference between a ~$500 1080p and ~$1000 1080p. Granted yeah... it's not the "1080p" name that makes the difference it's the quality or look of the picture performance of that "1080p", but as I said... my standard isn't low enough and never would have to begin with.

[quote name='VipFREAK']insignia or sceptre or anything from say... Target? They all look shitty even if it says "1080p". There's definitely a difference between a ~$500 1080p and ~$1000 1080p. Granted yeah... it's not the "1080p" name that makes the difference it's the quality or look of the picture performance of that "1080p", but as I said... my standard isn't low enough and never would have to begin with.[/QUOTE]

insignia isnt a manufacturer its a label. they dont manufacture the displays. their displays have been made by toshiba and lg, no idea who else.
target sells sony, samsung, and panasonic brand displays also. Do those three only offer, "shitty" "1080p" tv's?

dont post if youre only doing so to degrade others choices, especially when theres no basis for your comments.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Wish my eyes were that virgin to detail or expectations that low to detail. Those tvs have gotta look pretty shitty.[/QUOTE]

To me, a tv is a tv is a tv. I use my tv to watch it(and play games on it), not oohh and ahhhh over being able to see how many nose hairs each actor has and be able to actually count them thanks to being able to see each and every one(in high def).

Actually, I'm not even in the HD age as of yet, but if a good enough deal comes along and I need a tv I might consider it.

Of course, knowing me I'd be more likely to go to Wally World and pick up a 27" Sansui SDtv, since none of this shit really matters to me.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']To me, a tv is a tv is a tv. I use my tv to watch it(and play games on it), not oohh and ahhhh over being able to see how many nose hairs each actor has and be able to actually count them thanks to being able to see each and every one(in high def).

Actually, I'm not even in the HD age as of yet, but if a good enough deal comes along and I need a tv I might consider it.

Of course, knowing me I'd be more likely to go to Wally World and pick up a 27" Sansui SDtv, since none of this shit really matters to me.:razz:[/QUOTE]
Actually, you my sir are correct
Flat tube CRT TVs still suprass Plasma/LCD/DLP in terms of viewing angles, color reproduction, black levels, motion levels(frame rates), and overall picture quality.

If you don't believe me, go do some research.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Actually, you my sir are correct
Flat tube CRT TVs still suprass Plasma/LCD/DLP in terms of viewing angles, color reproduction, black levels, motion levels(frame rates), and overall picture quality.

If you don't believe me, go do some research.[/QUOTE]

I dont think anyone really disagrees with that, the problem with CRTs has been size and weight. Also, widescreen CRTs are seemingly disproportionately heavy for the increase in size.

Other cited, but questionable, reasons against CRTs include power consumption and environmental issues.

[quote name='Be3fJerky']Actually, you my sir are correct

If you don't believe me, go do some research.[/QUOTE]

And where would I be able to purchase this high-end CRT TV? lol.

Plus I don't believe they are making HD CRT TV's?

As for the guy making fun of people with "cheap" tv's. Dude, go get a life. WTF do you care what other people buy?

Except for the fact that it's a 'spectre' brand. Honestly if you're going to drop money on an HDTV you should get a Samsung, Sony, LG, or even Panasonic.

[quote name='Izod517']Except for the fact that it's a 'spectre' brand. Honestly if you're going to drop money on an HDTV you should get a Samsung, Sony, LG, or even Panasonic.[/QUOTE]

its all about price point. if youre trying to get a display for $300 your options are going to be pretty limited and you may need to settle for a lesser product.

youre throwing up a $700 display. for $700 you can do better.
whats important? size? overall picture quality?
it seems like most of the deals are at the 42" and 50" sizes.

theres a 46" panasonic s1 at frys for $800 instore.
for $100 more itd trounce the linked display.

if youre tight on price point id buy a better 720p display than a lower end 1080p display.

post what you need from the display maybe we can find something.

Paz you think I might see one of these G10's hit near $1K? I was thinking I might find even a 46" but Amazon's pricing is out of whack on it. I might as well buy a 50" given that it's like $50 more.
Maybe it was the free BR player keeping it expensive.

good thread. anyone know if there is going to be any hdtv's on sale at pc-richard. im looking for a 40 or 42inch 1080p 120hz tv but haven't been able to find any deals posted from pcrichard.

Question- I'm probably gonna bite on an HDTV this BF, and I did a little research on cnet on plasma vs LCD. They basically said that with larger tv's (around 50in), plasmas are the way to go, for price and other reasons. I just want something that performs well (doesn't need to be ALL out but at least gives me my bang for my buck), and plasmas are cheaper than LCD's. Are they a good choice? I'd like to stay around the $1K and plasmas seem really viable in this region.

sarang - yeah i think you wil. im not sure at what point, but theyre already close. $1200-1300
for the 50"

tybait - yes plasmas are good.

i just need two cheap junkers for bedroom tvs. Havent checked yet what bestbuy or walmart are offering yet. 32" would do the trick, dynex westinghouse...one of those crappers I'm aiming for.

This black Friday, looking for at least a 40" and up 1080p, what are some of the better deals to be had? Is the Target 40" 1080p worth 449?

[quote name='95ss']This black Friday, looking for at least a 40" and up 1080p, what are some of the better deals to be had? Is the Target 40" 1080p worth 449?[/QUOTE]

I aswell would like to know what is the best deal on a 40" tv with 1080p and 120hz. I'm feeling lost because pcrichard has there as but with no prices in the ad. There as only says you pay what we pay. Which is crap...

After looking at all the ads, I really think they may have some decent deals before Christmas as I was not impressed by many of the larger 40" + prices. Many of these sales seem like normal sales saving maybe $100-$150 or so and I was hoping I could get lucky like a did a few years ago and get a $2000 HDTV for $800. The main problem being now I want a nice large flat panel LCD or Plasma but nothing has really jumped out at me so far.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Are RCAs any good?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11331713

Seems like a good deal.[/QUOTE]

Not worth it, for an extra $50 or less you could get a 32" Toshiba which would be all around better unless you'll be sitting very close to the TV.

[quote name='95ss']This black Friday, looking for at least a 40" and up 1080p, what are some of the better deals to be had? Is the Target 40" 1080p worth 449?[/QUOTE] That TV should be good for gaming and possibly movies etc. I doubt any online vendors will have a better price than that for a good brand. Honestly if you don't mind spending an extra $100-200 it might be worth to to spend a little more though.

[quote name='Owen']After looking at all the ads, I really think they may have some decent deals before Christmas as I was not impressed by many of the larger 40" + prices. Many of these sales seem like normal sales saving maybe $100-$150 or so and I was hoping I could get lucky like a did a few years ago and get a $2000 HDTV for $800. The main problem being now I want a nice large flat panel LCD or Plasma but nothing has really jumped out at me so far.[/QUOTE]

Its true that all of these deals so far are fairly weak, only $50-150 off regular price of the TV. The online deals might be better but there aren't any ads out yet except for Dell's which was basically just a crappy 42" Sharp for $600.

[quote name='Chambered']From Slickdeals.net
SonyStyle has Sony KDL-46V5100 46" 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV + 120GB Sony Playstation 3 Console for $1000 with free shipping.

Alternatively Amazon has Sony KDL-46V5100 46" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV + Sony BDP-S560 Blu-ray Disc Player for $893 with free shipping. Discount will be shown at the final step of checkout, before submitting the order.[/QUOTE]

Wow that PS3 deal is pretty extreme... I've been going back and forth whether or not I should spend some decent money (~$1500) for a good 46" LED HDTV or to cheap out on an older CCFL TV on the basis that I am not a heavy TV user. Given that I am likely to get a PS3 down the road anyways, this deal really makes a strong argument for the cheap(er) CCFL route...

Ruahrc

Oh, I forgot to mention that those two deals are live right now, not black friday deals, so jump on them when you want them.

are there any good HDTV's on sale that are smaller than 32in.? (something in the 20's) 32" Dynex from best buy sound good but thats to big for my entertainment center.

Do you guys think that it will be possible to get a 37" 1080p 120hz LCD for about $550? I need 1080p because I'll be VERY close to the tv because my room is so small. Sometimes about a foot and a half away.

[quote name='paz9x']http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12164807

that seems like a solid buy at that price.
i believe theres bing cashback availible as well.
i swiped that from SD.[/QUOTE]

This is my best option to buy. If I still had my full-time dayjob, I would get something better but heck, a TV is a TV and I think this will do. Otherwise, I can camp out at Wal-Mart or Best Buy on Thanksgiving morning for a better deal but I do not want to do that.

I'm lookin for a 40" w/ 60Hz not the 120 as I've heard some gaming issues arise from the higher refresh and something around a 5ms refresh rate...

The best I have found so far is the Samsung 40 for $598 being advertised at both BBY and Sears...only problem there is I currently am using RF for cable out of the wall and this particular model doesn't have an RF connection...The Sammy has a great dynamic contrast at 60,000:1 and is 1080p. So it has some great features...

Anyone got any other TVs they would recommend at any lower price for similiar quality or close to it...?

I've been shopping for HDTV bundles in the 40" regime for a few weeks and there are no better deals out there, including the Black Friday stuff that's already been advertised, than the two Chambered posted -- Sony if you watn the PS3, Amazon if you want the N460, which is a great Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately, Amazon's already sold out.

[quote name='seanw']I've been shopping for HDTV bundles in the 40" regime for a few weeks and there are no better deals out there, including the Black Friday stuff that's already been advertised, than the two Chambered posted -- Sony if you watn the PS3, Amazon if you want the N460, which is a great Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately, Amazon's already sold out.[/QUOTE]

Don't need a PS3...

Besides, thats too much...

I want something reasonably priced as I'm on a small budget.

Like I said, there's a Samsung 40" 1080p for $597 at BBY, Sears, and WM this week, but I was just wondering if there is a better deal out there for around that cost?

Has anyone seen any deals for a little LCD TV, like 19" or so? My grandma wants one for her kitchen, but I haven't found any under $200.

[quote name='seanw']I've been shopping for HDTV bundles in the 40" regime for a few weeks and there are no better deals out there, including the Black Friday stuff that's already been advertised, than the two Chambered posted -- Sony if you watn the PS3, Amazon if you want the N460, which is a great Blu-Ray player. Unfortunately, Amazon's already sold out.[/QUOTE]

Wished I caught the 40" deal; it was for $756 only right? Sony has it bundled with a ps3 or bluray for $879. That's $100+ more but I might bite on it or maybe get the 46".

I plan to move maybe in February of next year. Since I'm not in a total rush to get it, do tv prices drop that quickly? Will I be able to find this at around the same price or even cheaper by then? a lot of places seem to be selling it for $879 (is that the new MSRP?)

best buy ad for black friday is out. taking a look at tvs right now. they have the LN40B500 that sears has for pretty much the same price. srry, cant put url cause "new user"

It appears that the SonyStyle website is now giving you a choice which TV you'd like bundled with the PS3:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...1&categoryId=8198552921644530352&N=4294966033

Note: for the same prices, you can also request a Bluray player in place of the PS3.
The TVs are all the same model, but different sizes. This model of TV is well rated on both CNET and Amazon.
The bundled Playstation 3 is the 120GB model.

KDL-**V5100
55" - $1,799 ($800 off)
52" - $1,499 ($800 off)
46" - $999 ($900 off)
40" - $879 ($620 off)

So they do have one offering at a reasonably lower price point. I'm debating between the 40" and the 46". I mean, even if you have (or don't care for) a PS3, you can resell it at new for about $300, which would make any of those deals even more outstanding.

I'm going to get the LG or Panasonic 50 inch 1080p plasma at best buy for $900. I have a 10% off any tv over 800. so that'll knock it down to 810. I'd look into both of those.

Question: When upgrading TVs, what is usually the best way to sell off old TVs?

My current TV is a Samsung '45 1080p, shown here: http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-lns4095d.html

When I purchased it 3 years ago it was for $1500. Now I'm seeing current TVs going for the same price, but are more advanced and also larger.

Is that Sony Bravia a huge trade-up from the Samsung I posted? I'm somewhat tempted, especially if I could bump off $300 or so by selling the PS3 (is it boxed?).

Or should I wait it out until LEDs become cheaper?

Not sure Ill have any luck this year. Waiting for Samsungs 46" 6000 series LED TVs price to be cut in half. I read a cyber Monday rumor that Walmart was going to be having their Samsung 5000 and 6000 series tvs 75% off. If so, Ill bite.

Am I the only one annoyed at the fact that Panny's G10 46" and up are all around like $1,200? It's not the 50" that gets me, it's the 46" which is like $50 less and then the 42" is a little over $900. I mean "WTF?!", big disparity much?! What bullshit.

[quote name='dejeckt']I'm thinking of biting the Sony 46" or 40" plus PS3; but I kinda hoping there would be Samsung 6 series deal along the way. What do you guys think? wait or should I just get the sony?[/QUOTE]

I think I am going to wait it out. I read up on the model at the AVSForum and they were pointing out some issues it was having. Not a bad TV by any means but not "killer"

The TV I have really been looking for is LG's new 47SL90. It's very similar to the Samsung 6000 or 7000 series, a thin LED model. Those Samsungs are nice but still quite pricey. This LG is looking to be a very comparable model for a little less. And personally I prefer the SL90 styling as well. From what I gather (and it is very little as info on this TV seems very hard to come by for some reason) it's more or less equivalent to the Samsung except it has an IPS panel vs. a PVA (you can research the differences yourself but it's just my personal preference for the IPS) and I heard that in general LG's are a little better for gaming than the recent LED Samsungs (which I actually have heard can have input lag issues). In my dream world the 47SL90 drops to around $1200 and I jump on it, but that is very wishful thinking.

In the meanwhile I just see what deals like the Sony bundle come along and maybe one of them pulls me enough to go for it.

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back