Blazblue PS3 Discussion Thread

Mostly on topic:

Just watched the packed in Bluray movie... not bad stuff... poorly authored as it was. Jessica Chobot (ign.com) talks through some of the game's core elements... and MAN does she sound annoyed to have to be narrating. I'm rarely on IGN. Is she always that pissy?

one of the "perks" to having a mom and pop shop to preorder from...their shipment was a bit delayed this week so they are going to have my copy ready today when i get off work. I am lucking out because payday is a day early due to the holiday weekend.

I'll be online after 8 tonight if anyone wants to throw down

When I got mine, it looked perfect until i opened the book and noticed half of the book was bend (pages only)...........I doubt they will do replacements. Same thing happened to my with Amazon with the Persona 4 artbook......

EDIT: Called GameStop, the guy said he was going to ship me a new one.

[quote name='enufs8d']i got my gs package today. fuck gs! there's a huge bend/crush mark on the cover of the artbook where the blazblue sign is. the ups box came intact. so it probably have happened during packaging. anyone get else this problem?

overall, impressed by the bonus guide disk. =)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
IT'S A PIECE OF fuckING SHIT!!!

Blazblue is officially the shittiest fighter ever to grace my gaming area. It even beats out that tech demo of a tech demo Genesis Mortal Kombat as the shittiest fighting game I've ever played. Holy balls, this game sucks the big one.

It all comes down to one thing; you are never, ever safe from your opponent once you're stuck in a combo. If you do end up on the offensive again, it's precisely because your opponent fucked up. Once you become proficient at dialing a combo and can hit it first, you're going to win. You will win.

You can't get safe because of falling down because that doesn't make you temporarily invincible. You can't get safe teching out because you'll get hit before you can block. You can't get safe by putting distance between your opponent and yourself beacuse shit's flying around every which way, and it all does so much fucking damage that you might as well be licking your opponent's ballsack. It's not quite an infinite combo, but it might as well be.

And I can say this unbiasedly because I've been on the offense in this situation as much as I have been the victim. No, I'm not complaining because I suck! I don't suck! My stats prove it. It's just the way the game is! It's all about whoever can maintain their monopoly. No, it's all about who can get their monopoly off the ground first. Maintaining it isn't that hard.

I honestly never completely understood a juggle limit before, but I have to hand it to early Capcom for implementing it, even by accident. What goes on in Blazblue isn't just a flow breaker, it's a flow shifter. It removes any chance of flow from the victim and rewards the aggressor way, way too much. Even KOF: Max Impact had the common sense to limit ground juggle comboing after a certain point. What a joke this game is.

I also dislike the game because if there's a problem connecting to a room in network mode, you're fucked. You're fucked. You're going to be sitting at the "connecting" screen with the little bar moving to the right and looping over and over again until your power goes out because Mother Nature struck a power plant with lightning. You can't just cancel connection. That would make too much sense! Instead you have to cancel out of the game or turn the console off. This has happened to me four times today. Four times in less than an hour of playing today. I just got so fucking fed up that I doubt I'll ever play online in this game ever again.

What a fucking disappointment. This is not the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. That's actually a good game. This is trash.

I'm not kidding. We're not in the resurrection of the fighting game genre. We're in the age of joke fighters. Want to play a real fighter? You've got to go back to the 90s, man. There are very few fighting games that have captured my attention since the early 00s, and I've played and owned crazy amounts of them trying to find a good one.

I'm personally disappointed that I put so much faith in this game simply because it came from the people who made the impeccable Guilty Gear series. I guess everybody makes mistakes.

Agreed. Super Turbo for life.

Also, honorable mentions to Time Killers, Bloodstorm, Doomsday Warrior, Street Combat, Art of Fighting, Primal Rage, Ultra Vortek, Kasumi Ninja, Survival Arts, Battle Monsters, Rise of the Robots, and Rise 2 : Resurrection.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hankmecrankme']Agreed. Super Turbo for life.

Also, honorable mentions to Time Killers, Bloodstorm, Doomsday Warrior, Street Combat, Art of Fighting, Primal Rage, Ultra Vortek, Kasumi Ninja, Survival Arts, Battle Monsters, Rise of the Robots, and Rise 2 : Resurrection.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='Chuplayer']IT'S A PIECE OF fuckING SHIT!!!

Blazblue is officially the shittiest fighter ever to grace my gaming area. It even beats out that tech demo of a tech demo Genesis Mortal Kombat as the shittiest fighting game I've ever played. Holy balls, this game sucks the big one.

It all comes down to one thing; you are never, ever safe from your opponent once you're stuck in a combo. If you do end up on the offensive again, it's precisely because your opponent fucked up. Once you become proficient at dialing a combo and can hit it first, you're going to win. You will win.

You can't get safe because of falling down because that doesn't make you temporarily invincible. You can't get safe teching out because you'll get hit before you can block. You can't get safe by putting distance between your opponent and yourself beacuse shit's flying around every which way, and it all does so much fucking damage that you might as well be licking your opponent's ballsack. It's not quite an infinite combo, but it might as well be.

And I can say this unbiasedly because I've been on the offense in this situation as much as I have been the victim. No, I'm not complaining because I suck! I don't suck! My stats prove it. It's just the way the game is! It's all about whoever can maintain their monopoly. No, it's all about who can get their monopoly off the ground first. Maintaining it isn't that hard.

I honestly never completely understood a juggle limit before, but I have to hand it to early Capcom for implementing it, even by accident. What goes on in Blazblue isn't just a flow breaker, it's a flow shifter. It removes any chance of flow from the victim and rewards the aggressor way, way too much. Even KOF: Max Impact had the common sense to limit ground juggle comboing after a certain point. What a joke this game is.

I also dislike the game because if there's a problem connecting to a room in network mode, you're fucked. You're fucked. You're going to be sitting at the "connecting" screen with the little bar moving to the right and looping over and over again until your power goes out because Mother Nature struck a power plant with lightning. You can't just cancel connection. That would make too much sense! Instead you have to cancel out of the game or turn the console off. This has happened to me four times today. Four times in less than an hour of playing today. I just got so fucking fed up that I doubt I'll ever play online in this game ever again.

What a fucking disappointment. This is not the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. That's actually a good game. This is trash.[/QUOTE]

Since you hate it. Sale it to me. ;)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Agreed. Super Turbo for life.

Also, honorable mentions to Time Killers, Bloodstorm, Doomsday Warrior, Street Combat, Art of Fighting, Primal Rage, Ultra Vortek, Kasumi Ninja, Survival Arts, Battle Monsters, Rise of the Robots, and Rise 2 : Resurrection.[/QUOTE]
The difference between then and now is that nobody took those games seriously.

[quote name='Chuplayer']The difference between then and now is that nobody took those games seriously.[/QUOTE]

Nobody ever took them seriously. My point is, you said you'd have to go back to the 90's to play a real fighter, and most of them sucked then. You had greatness like all of the Street Fighters, Tekkens, Virtua Fighters, Vs. series, Darkstalkers, KOFs, Samsho 2, then you had tons of shit, because fighters were hot and everyone wanted a part of the craze.

The craze is somewhat back, but only a few companies still make them. So, it's all for the better. Quality over quantity. Only the MK games still truly suck IMO. Though I will say without hesitation that 3S > SFIV, any day of the week.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Nobody ever took them seriously. My point is, you said you'd have to go back to the 90's to play a real fighter, and most of them sucked then. You had greatness like all of the Street Fighters, Tekkens, Virtua Fighters, Vs. series, Darkstalkers, KOFs, Samsho 2, then you had tons of shit, because fighters were hot and everyone wanted a part of the craze.

The craze is somewhat back, but only a few companies still make them. So, it's all for the better. Quality over quantity. Only the MK games still truly suck IMO. Though I will say without hesitation that 3S > SFIV, any day of the week.[/QUOTE]
And I'll say without hesitation Garou>all.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']And I'll say without hesitation Garou>all.[/QUOTE]
That was perhaps the peak of fighters. So many good ideas put together in an artfully brilliant game. Only the original KOF98 comes close.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Nobody ever took them seriously. My point is, you said you'd have to go back to the 90's to play a real fighter, and most of them sucked then. You had greatness like all of the Street Fighters, Tekkens, Virtua Fighters, Vs. series, Darkstalkers, KOFs, Samsho 2, then you had tons of shit, because fighters were hot and everyone wanted a part of the craze.

The craze is somewhat back, but only a few companies still make them. So, it's all for the better. Quality over quantity. Only the MK games still truly suck IMO. Though I will say without hesitation that 3S > SFIV, any day of the week.[/QUOTE]
The craze is back, but there's nothing that anybody is willing to do to advance the genre in any significant way. A lot of fighters made since 2000 aren't particularly bad games. They're just unnecessary. In some ways, it's worse than Madden.

And who cares if there were lots of crappy fighters back in the 90s? It's still the case that nobody is taking them seriously. It's the good ideas of the 90s that I respect.

mebbe it's just me, but I've been playing this all damned day (finally a chance to learn with my stick! SCIV just didn't cut it) and SHIT SON, fun times. Haven't tried online yet, trying to get my internet a little better first.

Although, my fave fighters are (in no order) MVC2, Nightwarriors, GG, and JoJo's, so I likey the crazy character/combofest fighters

I picked this up after work tonight and wow...just wow. The controls took a few to learn, but ive gotten em down and this game just reeks of ownage and cheeseburgers.

Sadly, i fear this may become a "flavor of the week" until i get my stick with tekken come October. I have such an insane backlog [including 3 other games i bought when i raided a b2g1 at the game store tonight] that while i can hold my own online atm....my skills will lapse until i relearn.

[quote name='Chuplayer']The craze is back, but there's nothing that anybody is willing to do to advance the genre in any significant way. A lot of fighters made since 2000 aren't particularly bad games. They're just unnecessary. In some ways, it's worse than Madden.

And who cares if there were lots of crappy fighters back in the 90s? It's still the case that nobody is taking them seriously. It's the good ideas of the 90s that I respect.[/QUOTE]

I see your point, and in many ways, I agree. I'd actually like to see a new attempt at a fighter, instead of them falling into one of a handful of formulas. Too bad most companies are just crutching on franchises. Plus, the hardcore don't like it when you fuck with their games.

And my point about all of the fucking complete shit fighters from the 90's was that, as far as the quality to quantity ratio goes, it's higher now more than ever for fighters. Granted, there aren't as many being released, but the ones that do are at least good. GGPO is bad ass too, and a great place to find old school competition. You should check that out if you haven't.

It's not worse than Madden though. Nothing will ever be that bad, maybe outside of FPS games anyway. left 4 Dead 2? Call of Duty 2009? ZZZzzz. . .

UFC 2009 shook things up so much for fighting games. I think it's the best fighting game in a long time. It's complex in a whole new way. It's fresh and exciting.

Most fighters now have a "been there done that" feel to them whether or not they feel inferior to the 90s stuff. I'd take loads of crap and a few good games than a bunch of serviceable but tired games because I can just ignore the loads of crap, and I'd get more enjoyment out of a few good games than a bunch of games that are just okay.

Sounds like me, but I'm like that with gaming as a whole right now.

And UFC is just an extension on the UFC game for Dreamcast, and its many sequels. Granted, it's better, but it's just like comparing SFIV to ST.

Still hyped as fuck for Tekken 6.

I never played the PS2/XBOX/GCN sequels, but UFC 2009 is very different from the first game on the DC.

I actually liked the game, i liked not having to learn 100+ combos like Virtua Fighter, SC.
haha Tekken 6, I may get flamed, but I never liked Tekken ever since it came on the PS1. I am waiting for Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny, but I doubt it will be very good. Mortal Kombat stopped being good after the second one.

If it's fifteen bucks, I may dl MvC2, but for now Blazblue is alllllll I need. Playing on PSN: rifle211. Has anyone else noticed that Arakune seems to own Jin every freaking time? Or maybe I'm just bad at it, but I win online matches most timees, but whenever I run into that punk I go down like a ton of bricks.

Garou's just defend system always sucked in my eyes compared to the SF3 parry system. OMG you missed your just defend? You get a regular block. Nowhere near as high a risk factor as Street Fighter 3. I want some risk in just defend that would make it far more daunting then everyone attempting it.

[quote name='Paco']Garou's just defend system always sucked in my eyes compared to the SF3 parry system. OMG you missed your just defend? You get a regular block. Nowhere near as high a risk factor as Street Fighter 3. I want some risk in just defend that would make it far more daunting then everyone attempting it.[/QUOTE]

Nice. :applause:

[quote name='hankmecrankme']2 posts of straight fucking Dan? Godlike.

Also, I love both Garou and 3rd Strike. Don't make me pick. . . :cry:[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Garou's bad. I'm just saying the Just Defend system has too much reward for no risk.

There were so many other things I didn't like about SF3 that parrying was a non-issue to me. That being said, you do risk not blocking at all when you go for a Just Defend, so it's hardly a safe tactic.

What the fuck? BlazBlue is no longer on Amazon.com and it's 129 dollars for the Playstation 3 version while the 360 version is still selling at normal retail? fuck THAT.

[quote name='Paco']What the fuck? BlazBlue is no longer on Amazon.com and it's 129 dollars for the Playstation 3 version while the 360 version is still selling at normal retail? fuck THAT.[/QUOTE]

Wow -- I just checked and someone is selling it for $90. Gamestop.com also is sold out. That's pretty insane.

A lot of Gamestops near me have it in-store, though.

I played about 20 rounds with fellow CAG Jaidem earlier today. It was a lot of fun, but considering I only have about 4 hours under my belt and all but one online fight of that is from story mode I think I did well. I also had the opportunity to play all of the characters - previously I had only played Tager, Noel, Arakane and Bang.

Fantastic game! I wish we could have played more, but I needed to help out with my kids and my 10-month old was taking an interest to the controller. I even let him play a match and of course he got decimated, but he sure was laughing and smiling.

updated list. tell me if you want your name off it. some of you need to check your psn names. i added "some" but i get the error message that the name in particular hasnt been registered.

and i like garou like the next guy, especially playing on a home neogeo with cart. damn, it was expensive. but i feel that a fighter is only as good as you have others to play against.

happy 4th of july.

[quote name='Chuplayer']There were so many other things I didn't like about SF3 that parrying was a non-issue to me. That being said, you do risk not blocking at all when you go for a Just Defend, so it's hardly a safe tactic.[/QUOTE]

But you GAIN HEALTH when you do it. That's way too much of a reward for something of this type. On SF3, you didn't gain health when you parried. Can you imagine how broken parrying would be if you gained health with every attack you parried? BOOOOOOO

[quote name='Paco']But you GAIN HEALTH when you do it. That's way too much of a reward for something of this type. On SF3, you didn't gain health when you parried. Can you imagine how broken parrying would be if you gained health with every attack you parried? BOOOOOOO[/QUOTE]

Get two people who are skilled at it, and it balances itself out. Health recovery in fighting games has always been absolutely nonexistent or completely broken except for in MOTW. It might not be perfect in MOTW, but it's certainly the best that has ever come around.

I have a noob question that I asked in another thread but never got an answer to. I was hoping someone could help me here. Will the ps2/ps3 controller adapter work for my ps2 hori tekken 5 arcade stick? I really want to play blazblue using a stick.

I don't know if the Hori stick has a button for analog/digital which some adaptors use as the home button, but if you don't expect to get to the XMB from in game, it will probably be all right. If the adapter has a home button built in, it will definitely be all right.

[quote name='Soujiro_Seta']I have a noob question that I asked in another thread but never got an answer to. I was hoping someone could help me here. Will the ps2/ps3 controller adapter work for my ps2 hori tekken 5 arcade stick? I really want to play blazblue using a stick.[/QUOTE]

i think the pelican adapter works flawlessly? others not so much.

it appears that most CAGs are getting this for the PS3 and many have both a 360 and a PS3. any particular reasons besides the fact that some 360 owners do not pay for Live (gold member)?

I always get fighters on ps3. I decided to try it on 360 for once since I got a fight pad, and the fact a guy had it on cag wanting to trade it for a game. That also played a role.

it appears that most CAGs are getting this for the PS3 and many have both a 360 and a PS3. any particular reasons besides the fact that some 360 owners do not pay for Live (gold member)?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']The 360 controller sucks for fighting games.[/QUOTE]

That use to be the main reason I wouldn't get a fighter on 360,but after that street fighter fight pad. Its just so much better than that 360 controller for fighters. Although I still prefer the d-pad on the ps3 controller. Knowing me I'll end getting rid of the 360 version and get it for ps3. I prefer psn over live.

The 360 pad sucks for fighting? Pshhh lenient aren't we? It sucks for ANYTHING that isn't 3d. ANY 2d game SUFFERS on the 360's dpad.

bread's done
Back