BlazBlue TE fightstick PS3 $101.86(Price back to 129.99, dead)

These started out about 6 months ago exclusive to the AKSYS store and limited to 2500 copies (if that was per system or not)... did they reprint them, or was this just not a big mover?

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']These started out about 6 months ago exclusive to the AKSYS store and limited to 2500 copies (if that was per system or not)... did they reprint them, or was this just not a big mover?[/QUOTE]

Probably not a big mover. It looks nice, though.

[quote name='Ilikecoldbeverages']These started out about 6 months ago exclusive to the AKSYS store and limited to 2500 copies (if that was per system or not)... did they reprint them, or was this just not a big mover?[/QUOTE]

IIRC (someone feel free to correct me) AKSYS had them for $200 each. They were pretty nice looking sticks, but when just about any other TE could be had for $100, the general consensus on shoryuken.com was that it wasn't worth the cost unless you were a major, die-hard BlazBlue fan.

Even the second gen TE sticks, the S versions, were cheaper.

When they first made them available on Amazon (for $130 I think) people were still hesitant.

I might bite on this price. It's still too much for many, but I liked the game and I like the look of the stick.

you really won't do better for a TE on the PS3. Its most definitely worth the price. Once you get acclimated to the controls there is no turning back.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Once you get acclimated to the controls there is no turning back.[/QUOTE]I just bought a generic $30 Hori stick for PS3 from Amazon a few weeks ago. I have been fairly happy with it, but maybe that's just because I don't know what I've been missing out on when compared to the higher end models. What sets this stick apart from the cheap stuff?

[quote name='Thrinn']I just bought a generic $30 Hori stick for PS3 from Amazon a few weeks ago. I have been fairly happy with it, but maybe that's just because I don't know what I've been missing out on when compared to the higher end models. What sets this stick apart from the cheap stuff?[/QUOTE]

Precision. A beginner won't benefit too much with a great stick, but as your skills improve, it'll matter. I can't use a cheap stock for Tekken without sucking, because of how much time I invested into it. But at the same time, I'll suck just as much on MvC2 on any stick. Once you get used to a good stick, it's pretty much impossible to go back. Same thing happened to me with tennis racquets. I used to use cheap ones from walmart, but after playing in high school with good quality ones, you can easily tell the difference. Probably the same for golf, cars, and many other things.

[quote name='nddave']Almost there.

I know this is a lower price from 150 but still to much for me[/QUOTE]

It was originally a $200 stick, $50 more than an SFIV TE. :rofl:

[quote name='Thrinn']I just bought a generic $30 Hori stick for PS3 from Amazon a few weeks ago. I have been fairly happy with it, but maybe that's just because I don't know what I've been missing out on when compared to the higher end models. What sets this stick apart from the cheap stuff?[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fighting gamer but I assume it comes down to build quality (and thus, how well it functions over time) and precision (and thus, how accurate you can pull off moves).

I'll offer a similar comparison for genre of gaming that I can speak to: music games. It'd be like comparing the standard Rock Band drums to the ION drums... they're both going to allow you to play the game, but one is going to last a lot longer and be a lot more precise. Additionally, the value only becomes apparent once you've invested enough time into the game to understand and appreciate the differences.

Damn. I just bought this stick for $108 last week.

Its basically the same stick as the street fighter sticks just with different artwork. I like the artwork better than the SF sticks which is why I got it.

[quote name='snake']Damn. I just bought this stick for $108 last week.

Its basically the same stick as the street fighter sticks just with different artwork. I like the artwork better than the SF sticks which is why I got it.[/QUOTE]

That still isn't a bad deal. The only reason I held out so long is because I already have too many fightsticks. I will however, be very annoyed if this goes sub $90. :bomb:

Think this has been asked before, but do these use the original Round 1 PCB or the Round 2s?

[quote name='n1c0']Think this has been asked before, but do these use the original Round 1 PCB or the Round 2s?[/QUOTE]

If I could hazard a guess, and I didn't even know they changed the PCBs...it is prolly the Round 2s since this released May 2010...just a guess.

MarkMan might know.

[quote name='snake']Damn. I just bought this stick for $108 last week.

Its basically the same stick as the street fighter sticks just with different artwork. I like the artwork better than the SF sticks which is why I got it.[/QUOTE]
While I love my MvC stick (except the yellow color scheme for the ball and buttons), this stick does look better than any of the Street Fighter sticks, with the exception of maybe the Chin-Li LE stick. The black and blue on this looks pretty sharp.

Just want to pop in and say that I highly recommend this stick. I bought it at $200 and I have no regrets. It's basically like getting a custom stick even though, technically, it's not. But trust me it's beautiful and the box is pretty damn hot, too; you'll want to display it. Anywhoo, I use this stick for SSFIV, BlazBlue, MvC2, and Tekken 6... been playing the hell out of it since day one and it's still like new. At a hundred bucks you really can't go wrong with this. Just thought I'd drop some knowledge from someone who actually owns it.

[quote name='n1c0']Think this has been asked before, but do these use the original Round 1 PCB or the Round 2s?[/QUOTE]

It's a Round 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it bad that it's a first version? Man this stuff's all confusing :lol:

I haven't owned a stick since my SNES one :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is it bad that it's a first version? Man this stuff's all confusing :lol:

I haven't owned a stick since my SNES one :)[/QUOTE]

No, the first version PCB's are just fine.

Thanks, souporman.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is it bad that it's a first version? Man this stuff's all confusing :lol:

I haven't owned a stick since my SNES one :)[/QUOTE]

It's just me being paranoid. There were a few isolated case of faulty PCB with the R1s which pretty much kept me from getting them even when they ran the B1G1 free sale.

Might just bite on this as a spare/guest stick in addition to my Chun-Li TE.

97.63 now better grab it now because 1,500 only made and can't beat that price I got it for 113 should of waited oh well.

My wife just grabbed me a couple to go with the Tatsunoko VS Capcom wii fightsticks we got from the gameshark store during their 2 for 1, and the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA pair I grabbed last week for $160.

Great price for a fightstick! Kind of wish I had jumped on the BOGO sale, but I wouldn't need 4 'sticks. In for one since it's a limited (print) run!

Holy crap are these sweet. Ended up with pretty low numbers too - #42 and #44.

I recommend that anyone who doesn't already have a fightstick/arcade style controller jump in on this or the TE SF ones on sale in the gameshark store right now (still bummed I barely missed the 2 for 1 on the TE's).

And if I hear "Why do you need that" or "why would you spend the money for something you'll only use on select games"? from any more people who think nothing of dropping hundreds on crappy Guitar Hero/Rock Band gear I'll scream. Hey, I like that stuff too...but these are SOLID, and really take you 'back to the arcades'. Well worth what I spent...

[quote name='BackInBlack']If I could hazard a guess, and I didn't even know they changed the PCBs...it is prolly the Round 2s since this released May 2010...just a guess.

MarkMan might know.[/QUOTE]

I do know.

It uses one similar to the Super SFIV ones.

[quote name='MarkMan']I do know.

It uses one similar to the Super SFIV ones.[/QUOTE]

Deal. Just ordered one.

MarkMan, you sold me two sticks (this and the Chun-Li) in a single month.

May be Markman can help me on this. I've owned 3 different TE sticks so far and all of them have this annoying disconnect problem on RT/LT buttons. Since problem pops up on 3 original TE, SSF TE and Marvel Vs. Capcom TE I have, I really suspect quality of this TE stick. Any input?

[quote name='PaRappa/GMRTAG']May be Markman can help me on this. I've owned 3 different TE sticks so far and all of them have this annoying disconnect problem on RT/LT buttons. Since problem pops up on 3 original TE, SSF TE and Marvel Vs. Capcom TE I have, I really suspect quality of this TE stick. Any input?[/QUOTE]

Unreliable PCBs in the original TEs. Seems to be most common in the XBOX 360 R1/R2 TE sticks.

If it is still under warranty I believe you can send it back or ask Madcatz for a new PCB. I don't have experience with this myself, just some second hand I got when researching the product.

Great deal on this stick! Tempted to buy but I really want a TE-S: Chun-Li. FWIW, the lock switch actually locks the start & select buttons as well (since it's a TE-S pcb like MarkMan confirmed). 1st gen. TE's weren't able to do this.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']Great deal on this stick! Tempted to buy but I really want a TE-S: Chun-Li. FWIW, the lock switch actually locks the start & select buttons as well (since it's a TE-S pcb like MarkMan confirmed). 1st gen. TE's weren't able to do this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd really like a Chun-Li stick and would be in at ~$130 final cost.

As for the BlazBlue stick, the wording Markman used was "similar" which is a little vague. My stick came in yesterday, and I can test the locking function tonight. I don't particularly care for that functionality, but it would be nice to have the peace of mind that a more reliable PCB was used.

Potential reliability issues aside, it is a great stick at a great price. I'm really happy a product like this exists.

One question: is the stick's ball top supposed to be turn-able or is it supposed to be tight? That was the only thing that surprised me. Even the square-gate turned out to be a non-issue to me who grew up using American arcades (SVGL!), and I was pulling off fireballs/dps naturally within an hour.

[quote name='Antipodes']Yeah, I'd really like a Chun-Li stick and would be in at ~$130 final cost.

As for the BlazBlue stick, the wording Markman used was "similar" which is a little vague. My stick came in yesterday, and I can test the locking function tonight. I don't particularly care for that functionality, but it would be nice to have the peace of mind that a more reliable PCB was used.

Potential reliability issues aside, it is a great stick at a great price. I'm really happy a product like this exists.

One question: is the stick's ball top supposed to be turn-able or is it supposed to be tight? That was the only thing that surprised me. Even the square-gate turned out to be a non-issue to me who grew up using American arcades (SVGL!), and I was pulling off fireballs/dps naturally within an hour.[/QUOTE]

Since MC's having a sale right now, the Chun-Li stick's $128 + tax and/or shipping which brings it to ~$155 for me. No need to confirm the locking feature as it's already been confirmed. I could care less for that feature also but it's always nice to have. It's the TE-S pcb for sure. MarkMan's legit (ask him what he does at Madcatz, LOL). Can't speak for others but I've had four 1st-gen. TE's (rd 1, rd2-twice & MvC2) & none of them have had pcb issues.

No, the ball isn't suppose to be turnable (unless you loosen it on purpose). Just open it up & tighten it down w/a flat head screwdriver then it should be fine. I've never had it loosen up on me. I actually prefer an octo-gate but to each their own.

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']Since MC's having a sale right now, the Chun-Li stick's $128 + tax and/or shipping which brings it to ~$155 for me. No need to confirm the locking feature as it's already been confirmed. I could care less for that feature also but it's always nice to have. It's the TE-S pcb for sure. MarkMan's legit (ask him what he does at Madcatz, LOL). Can't speak for others but I've had four 1st-gen. TE's (rd 1, rd2-twice & MvC2) & none of them have had pcb issues.

No, the ball isn't suppose to be turnable (unless you loosen it on purpose). Just open it up & tighten it down w/a flat head screwdriver then it should be fine. I've never had it loosen up on me. I actually prefer an octo-gate but to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I saw that deal but the shipping/tax is over my price point. Not that I don't think it isn't worth it, but I don't play fighting games enough to make that type of investment.

Yeah, on my stick the ball top can be rotated. Kinda like a knob that can be continuously turned. I was really hoping to not have to deal with opening the thing but I guess I have to.

I'm not really sure what type of gate I'd prefer. The only other joystick I've bought was a MAS about 10 years ago. The cabinet was nice, but I hated the joystick/buttons and returned it after a day. If there were a choice, I'd probably go with a smooth 360 since that is what I've used before. I was a bit worried since I've heard some people felt the square gate to be uncomfortable, but surprisingly it wasn't a big deal at all to me.

[quote name='Antipodes']Yup. I saw that deal but the shipping/tax is over my price point. Not that I don't think it isn't worth it, but I don't play fighting games enough to make that type of investment.

Yeah, on my stick the ball top can be rotated. Kinda like a knob that can be continuously turned. I was really hoping to not have to deal with opening the thing but I guess I have to.

I'm not really sure what type of gate I'd prefer. The only other joystick I've bought was a MAS about 10 years ago. The cabinet was nice, but I hated the joystick/buttons and returned it after a day. If there were a choice, I'd probably go with a smooth 360 since that is what I've used before. I was a bit worried since I've heard some people felt the square gate to be uncomfortable, but surprisingly it wasn't a big deal at all to me.[/QUOTE]

At this point, I'd rather save up & get a VLX since I've always wanted that (hence the reason for the V3-SA & TE rd2 for sale) but the next stick after that's a Chun-Li or Qanba stick. It'll take you 5-mins tops & that's taking your sweet time unscrewing the top panel. Ya, not really hard to adjust after awhile. I thought I'd hate a ball-top b/c growing up, all the arcades in SoCal had bat-top (Happ). Just got a SFAE earlier today & it came modded w/an iL stick & Happ comp. buttons so looking forward to trying this stick right after this (I've never used these buttons before).

[quote name='Nucking Futs!']At this point, I'd rather save up & get a VLX since I've always wanted that (hence the reason for the V3-SA & TE rd2 for sale) but the next stick after that's a Chun-Li or Qanba stick. It'll take you 5-mins tops & that's taking your sweet time unscrewing the top panel. Ya, not really hard to adjust after awhile. I thought I'd hate a ball-top b/c growing up, all the arcades in SoCal had bat-top (Happ). Just got a SFAE earlier today & it came modded w/an iL stick & Happ comp. buttons so looking forward to trying this stick right after this (I've never used these buttons before).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. VLX is too expensive and the size would make it difficult to play at my desk. I actually like the form factor of the winged TE the best. However, the art and colors on the Chun-Li make it the most appealing overall. Too bad the next stick I'm considering will be for the XBOX 360, and they force them to put that stupid button color scheme.

I can also confirm that start/select does get locked on the PS3 BlazBlue stick. That's great considering my #1 worry was the PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, the VLX's ginormous!...But that's what I love about it besides the metal panel. I prefer the wingless design of the TE but my fav. artwork are the round 2 (love the stealth look of it) & MvC2/Chun-Li (those lenticular designs are awesome!). LOL about the 360 color button scheme.

The stick has gone up to $99.02 as of Fri. Not much of an increase, but still.

Nucking Futs - I would love one of those VLX's...but like Antipodes I'm too much of a CAG at heart to pay $300 on a stick. Yet.

If I ever end up with some crazy 50% off code for Amazon, Gamestop or Hori USA I'm all over that though...

Mine was just delivered. Loving it.

It really does feel like a TES but with the classic wings.

Now I just need to fetch MvC3 off the Capcom store and I'll be set!

I love the design and I've been using the SFIV TE for all my BlazBlue needs. Although another TE sounds so sweet as my partners have to use a crappy Madcatz non-TE. I think I might have to get this.

Doubt it. IIRC, even the Chun-Li stick doesn't do PS2 BC.

There's always Cthulhu/ChImp if you don't mind a bit of elbow grease.

bread's done
Back